Author Topic: Austin, Texas  (Read 3937 times)

twic3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Re: Austin, Texas
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2021, 01:21:03 PM »
Expand Quote
I'd imagine there's some pretty dope Mexican food as well.
[close]
Hahaha

Last time I was in Austins I was imagining the same thing, we asked our airbnb host what was the best place around and he told us Torchys...

You guys do have great asian food though.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2021, 04:48:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Hahaha
[close]

Last time I was in Austins I was imagining the same thing, we asked our airbnb host what was the best place around and he told us Torchys...

I will say as a Californian living in a Austin, Tex-mex fucking blows. But we do have great Asian food and surprisingly good pizza.
Ricky was caught beating some dude of?!?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2021, 06:15:28 AM »
Iíve been pretty underwhelmed with the Asian food here. You really have to know the spots. Ethnic food in general isnít fantastic here IMHO. What Asian spots are you all hitting? We hit up Asia cafe which is down the road and best Chinese Iíve had but havenít found a good peking duck spot. Still havenít found a great pho spot. Sushi is definitely way more miss than hit. We found one Thai place thatís ok. Thai fresh is good but not authentic.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2021, 02:55:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Hahaha
[close]

[close]

I will say as a Californian living in a Austin, Tex-mex fucking blows. But we do have great Asian food and surprisingly good pizza.

I've gotten in so many verbal disputes over how Tex-Mex in Austin actually sucks. What they call tacos, they aversion to burritos, and an excess of flour tortillas and refried beans, it's a mess. There is good stuff there, but you gotta search for it a little. Not the same as the west coast experience.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2021, 05:54:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Hahaha
[close]

[close]

[close]

I've gotten in so many verbal disputes over how Tex-Mex in Austin actually sucks. What they call tacos, they aversion to burritos, and an excess of flour tortillas and refried beans, it's a mess. There is good stuff there, but you gotta search for it a little. Not the same as the west coast experience.

Couldnít agree more with ya dude.

One thing that I did learn to love thigh was the abundance of queso, I became a big fan.

On another austin note, skating Lakewood at 0930 and house at 1330 if anyone wants in?
Ricky was caught beating some dude of?!?

mj23

• Rep: 16
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2021, 11:57:40 AM »
I'm gonna be moving to Austin for a job at UT soon, probably August. What should I know? Aside from "it's going to be hotter than the devil's asscrack."

Looking to rent a place. Seems like Hyde Park, North Loop, and other neighborhoods around there are common places for UT workers to live that have some hip shit to do. Anywhere else I should be looking? East Austin? West Campus? South Lamar?

I'm coming off of 10+ years in NYC (Bushwick/Ridgewood)... are there any places in Austin with a similar vibe?

Thanks Pals, Shalom

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 670
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2021, 12:44:26 PM »
I'm gonna be moving to Austin for a job at UT soon, probably August. What should I know? Aside from "it's going to be hotter than the devil's asscrack."

Looking to rent a place. Seems like Hyde Park, North Loop, and other neighborhoods around there are common places for UT workers to live that have some hip shit to do. Anywhere else I should be looking? East Austin? West Campus? South Lamar?

I'm coming off of 10+ years in NYC (Bushwick/Ridgewood)... are there any places in Austin with a similar vibe?

Thanks Pals, Shalom
Go to Alamo Rec Center off of manor near UT and you'll find a basketball court full of a bunch of boxes and ramps and good skating. House park is the staple skatepark. Full of kids, not my favorite layout. There are spots but a lot are short lived or hard to skate. I can come up with more suggestions once you're settled in.

I don't do hip shit but east austin has all the gentrifying fake cool stuff. West campus if full of students and frat guys. South Lamar is touristy, expensive, but has some good food (I try not to eat out too much but I like this vietamese/french cafe called elizabeth st). Hyde park and North loop are mellow. Handful of dive bars, coffee shops, restaurants that seem cool but I never go to. Honestly you'll probably not find anywhere as cool as NY but I like it. If you're here during summer, barton springs (the free side not the paid side) is a cool place and good for dog/people watching.  Shalom.

I wish I didn't have to look at your sig in every thread tbh. That shit is annoying and usually so are your posts.

Shufflessss

• Rep: 23
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2021, 01:12:45 PM »

Thanks Pals, Shalom

Sent you a PM for apartment help. My fiancť is a locator and she's great at it.

Shalom
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 02:00:39 PM by Shufflessss »
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

• Rep: 72
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2021, 06:57:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Hahaha
[close]

[close]

[close]

I haven't lived in Austin since the early 00s but you have to go to San Antonio for the real shit. I remember someone told me about a Mexican restaurant on the Drag run by white people that served saltines and salsa. Also a lot of bland black bean spinach type shit on microwaved corn tortillas.