Author Topic: Austin, Texas  (Read 12960 times)

twic3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: Austin, Texas
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2021, 01:21:03 PM »
Expand Quote
I'd imagine there's some pretty dope Mexican food as well.
[close]
Hahaha

Last time I was in Austins I was imagining the same thing, we asked our airbnb host what was the best place around and he told us Torchys...

You guys do have great asian food though.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2021, 04:48:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Hahaha
[close]

Last time I was in Austins I was imagining the same thing, we asked our airbnb host what was the best place around and he told us Torchys...

I will say as a Californian living in a Austin, Tex-mex fucking blows. But we do have great Asian food and surprisingly good pizza.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2021, 06:15:28 AM »
I’ve been pretty underwhelmed with the Asian food here. You really have to know the spots. Ethnic food in general isn’t fantastic here IMHO. What Asian spots are you all hitting? We hit up Asia cafe which is down the road and best Chinese I’ve had but haven’t found a good peking duck spot. Still haven’t found a great pho spot. Sushi is definitely way more miss than hit. We found one Thai place that’s ok. Thai fresh is good but not authentic.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2021, 02:55:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Hahaha
[close]

[close]

I will say as a Californian living in a Austin, Tex-mex fucking blows. But we do have great Asian food and surprisingly good pizza.

I've gotten in so many verbal disputes over how Tex-Mex in Austin actually sucks. What they call tacos, they aversion to burritos, and an excess of flour tortillas and refried beans, it's a mess. There is good stuff there, but you gotta search for it a little. Not the same as the west coast experience.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2021, 05:54:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Hahaha
[close]

[close]

[close]

I've gotten in so many verbal disputes over how Tex-Mex in Austin actually sucks. What they call tacos, they aversion to burritos, and an excess of flour tortillas and refried beans, it's a mess. There is good stuff there, but you gotta search for it a little. Not the same as the west coast experience.

Couldn’t agree more with ya dude.

One thing that I did learn to love thigh was the abundance of queso, I became a big fan.

On another austin note, skating Lakewood at 0930 and house at 1330 if anyone wants in?

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2021, 11:57:40 AM »
I'm gonna be moving to Austin for a job at UT soon, probably August. What should I know? Aside from "it's going to be hotter than the devil's asscrack."

Looking to rent a place. Seems like Hyde Park, North Loop, and other neighborhoods around there are common places for UT workers to live that have some hip shit to do. Anywhere else I should be looking? East Austin? West Campus? South Lamar?

I'm coming off of 10+ years in NYC (Bushwick/Ridgewood)... are there any places in Austin with a similar vibe?

Thanks Pals, Shalom

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2021, 12:44:26 PM »
I'm gonna be moving to Austin for a job at UT soon, probably August. What should I know? Aside from "it's going to be hotter than the devil's asscrack."

Looking to rent a place. Seems like Hyde Park, North Loop, and other neighborhoods around there are common places for UT workers to live that have some hip shit to do. Anywhere else I should be looking? East Austin? West Campus? South Lamar?

I'm coming off of 10+ years in NYC (Bushwick/Ridgewood)... are there any places in Austin with a similar vibe?

Thanks Pals, Shalom
Go to Alamo Rec Center off of manor near UT and you'll find a basketball court full of a bunch of boxes and ramps and good skating. House park is the staple skatepark. Full of kids, not my favorite layout. There are spots but a lot are short lived or hard to skate. I can come up with more suggestions once you're settled in.

I don't do hip shit but east austin has all the gentrifying fake cool stuff. West campus if full of students and frat guys. South Lamar is touristy, expensive, but has some good food (I try not to eat out too much but I like this vietamese/french cafe called elizabeth st). Hyde park and North loop are mellow. Handful of dive bars, coffee shops, restaurants that seem cool but I never go to. Honestly you'll probably not find anywhere as cool as NY but I like it. If you're here during summer, barton springs (the free side not the paid side) is a cool place and good for dog/people watching.  Shalom.

Shufflessss

• Rep: 34
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2021, 01:12:45 PM »

Thanks Pals, Shalom

Sent you a PM for apartment help. My fiancé is a locator and she's great at it.

Shalom
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 02:00:39 PM by Shufflessss »
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

• Rep: 31
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2021, 06:57:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Hahaha
[close]

[close]

[close]

I haven't lived in Austin since the early 00s but you have to go to San Antonio for the real shit. I remember someone told me about a Mexican restaurant on the Drag run by white people that served saltines and salsa. Also a lot of bland black bean spinach type shit on microwaved corn tortillas.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2021, 01:43:15 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks Pals, Shalom
[close]
Go to Alamo Rec Center off of manor near UT and you'll find a basketball court full of a bunch of boxes and ramps and good skating.
I went to skate here today and apparently the park rangers want all the ramps and shit gone
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2021, 11:00:34 AM »
Torchy's makes some damn fine tacos (especially if you like it HOT).

Sucks that Legoland is gone...so much crusty fun.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2021, 08:42:58 AM »
Ok, I got a house rented and I’m moving to town in august.

Next question: how do people buy weed in this town??? I’m not looking for a hookup (because that’s probably against Slap rules) but more like general logistics.

In NYC I would text a number, get a menu with 4-5 different kinds of flower, and then have someone ride over on a bike or moped to drop it off. In LA obviously I just go to a store.

What do people do in Austin?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2021, 08:46:14 AM »
Ok, I got a house rented and I’m moving to town in august.

Next question: how do people buy weed in this town??? I’m not looking for a hookup (because that’s probably against Slap rules) but more like general logistics.

In NYC I would text a number, get a menu with 4-5 different kinds of flower, and then have someone ride over on a bike or moped to drop it off. In LA obviously I just go to a store.

What do people do in Austin?

Ask a bartender or a waiter. Let me know when you get here and we’ll catch a sesh dude!

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2021, 07:37:30 AM »
Bumping this since it's title is relevant.  Anyone wanna share a curb spot with a fat old dude re-learning?  I've tried a couple places near me but I keep getting kicked out.  If you got a curb spot or slappy session and want to share info, cool.  If not, that's also cool lol

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2021, 07:58:26 AM »
Bumping this since it's title is relevant.  Anyone wanna share a curb spot with a fat old dude re-learning?  I've tried a couple places near me but I keep getting kicked out.  If you got a curb spot or slappy session and want to share info, cool.  If not, that's also cool lol

PM’d

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2021, 07:38:01 AM »
Kinda curious, heard from different sources Austin’s got some pretty aggressive homeless people. How does this compare to LA homeless?

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2021, 08:10:04 AM »
Kinda curious, heard from different sources Austin’s got some pretty aggressive homeless people. How does this compare to LA homeless?
Maybe Austin homelessness would seem really gnarly to someone coming from like Kansas or something, but I still found it to be a bit more mellow compared to what I’ve seen in LA and SF... or god forbid Vancouver. It’s tough to be shocked by Austin once you’ve seen LA skid row, Venice tent cities, or the Tenderloin sidewalk tweakers, or the East Hastings open air misery bazaar.

That said... it’s still not good by any means. Decent amount of tents set up along the River and major highway underpasses/islands. Drunks posted up on downtown corners too. I feel worse for the people in ATX because it’s so damn hot, not like CA where the climate is relatively tolerable.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2021, 09:20:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Maybe Austin homelessness would seem really gnarly to someone coming from like Kansas or something, but I still found it to be a bit more mellow compared to what I’ve seen in LA and SF... or god forbid Vancouver. It’s tough to be shocked by Austin once you’ve seen LA skid row, Venice tent cities, or the Tenderloin sidewalk tweakers, or the East Hastings open air misery bazaar.

That said... it’s still not good by any means. Decent amount of tents set up along the River and major highway underpasses/islands. Drunks posted up on downtown corners too. I feel worse for the people in ATX because it’s so damn hot, not like CA where the climate is relatively tolerable.
Don't forget about Portland.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2021, 06:37:40 AM »

camping has been outlawed, prop 8 passed a few months back. they were scheduled to start clearing the homeless camps out beginning of august and they just started.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSM34f2J-ne/

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2021, 08:18:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Hahaha
[close]

BwahahahahahahHhhhhaHa, yea torchys can eat a dick, if you are looking for good Mexican food go down Lamar past 183, plenty of decent taco stands that alright priced tacos, my favorite at the moment is a place called nonos it’s next door to a convenience store pretty sketchy location but good ass tacos for under 3 bucks a piece
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Shufflessss

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2021, 01:19:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

camping has been outlawed, prop 8 passed a few months back. they were scheduled to start clearing the homeless camps out beginning of august and they just started.

Whoever told you that the homeless here being aggressive has lived a pampered life. I have not had a bad interaction with any of them homeless here. And fuck "Save Austin Now". They're just pushing the homeless out of downtown without giving them any help.
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

darkslide2fakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2021, 01:37:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Whoever told you that the homeless here being aggressive has lived a pampered life. I have not had a bad interaction with any of them homeless here. And fuck "Save Austin Now". They're just pushing the homeless out of downtown without giving them any help.

I agree that the homeless are not particularly aggressive here in Austin. I'm curious if you have any idea where they're being pushed too? I have noticed a crazy decrease in the amount of homeless downtown.
As I watch the downtown camps shrink I haven't noticed a growth in the one near me and the shelter on 7th also doesn't seem to have the camp population it had even pre pandemic.

I just really wonder where they all went     

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »
The city's plan (along with Save Austin Now and the Westlake/Lake Travis voters who overwhelming voted for the prop to pass)  is "out of sight out of mind".  There's a small hotel being repurposed into a shelter, there's some land in East Austin, but mostly the homeless are just going back to the camps in the woods where they were before.

Edited to add: never trust the rich

darkslide2fakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2021, 01:57:09 PM »
The city's plan (along with Save Austin Now and the Westlake/Lake Travis voters who overwhelming voted for the prop to pass)  is "out of sight out of mind".  There's a small hotel being repurposed into a shelter, there's some land in East Austin, but mostly the homeless are just going back to the camps in the woods where they were before.

Edited to add: never trust the rich

Super interesting to see that map, I do remember the only vote yes on prop b billboard I saw was far outside of downtown in westlake/beecave, which I find to be ironic that the people who are arguably farthest from the problem (physically and economically) are the ones with the most to say.
Yeah i hadn't payed much attention to this save austin now bs but man what a bunch of kooks. I think you mean "eat the rich" too

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2021, 03:20:19 PM »
Here’s a different kind of question: Where do you get a good deal on washing machines and dryers? Im showing up next week and the house we rented has hookups but no machines. Would really like to not spend a fortune, if possible.

Moving to Austin is already costing me an arm and a leg, and while my employer has “generously” kicked in $1,000 for the expenses… that goes pretty quick when you’re moving cross-country  :-[

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2021, 05:59:46 PM »
Here’s a different kind of question: Where do you get a good deal on washing machines and dryers? Im showing up next week and the house we rented has hookups but no machines. Would really like to not spend a fortune, if possible.

Moving to Austin is already costing me an arm and a leg, and while my employer has “generously” kicked in $1,000 for the expenses… that goes pretty quick when you’re moving cross-country  :-[

There’s a few good ones:

Neu appliances is good but hella pricey and right next to a cool ass vintage store and across the street from a book collective I volunteer at.

https://neuappliancesaustin.com/

3 point appliances has good reviews and homies I know have bought from there.

https://g.co/kgs/DYXea6

Austin appliance rebuilders is solid as well. I’ve bought two sets of refurbished washer and driers from there. Both really nice Samsung sets for a good price.

https://g.page/originalaustinappliance?share

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2021, 07:34:45 PM »

Craigslist/Facebook marketplace is also good, but caveat emptor. I was in a similar situation after moving back to my hometown in 2020. I now have 2 kinda dusty looking loud washer/dryer machines but they wash/dry my clothes great and run with no problems!

I did have to pay to get the dryer serviced, but even with parts and labor I still came out ahead vs just going down to Lowe's and buying two new joints. The guys I bought the machines from even had pickup trucks and offered to deliver and help me install for like an extra $50 cash each.

Shufflessss

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2021, 09:22:57 AM »
If any of y'all Austin based Slap homies want to skate sometime hit me up!

My instagram is - Cat_Barf

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2021, 12:42:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I agree that the homeless are not particularly aggressive here in Austin. I'm curious if you have any idea where they're being pushed too? I have noticed a crazy decrease in the amount of homeless downtown.
As I watch the downtown camps shrink I haven't noticed a growth in the one near me and the shelter on 7th also doesn't seem to have the camp population it had even pre pandemic.

I just really wonder where they all went   
I didn't notice anything crazy outside of walking by what seemed to be a shelter sort of area near dirty 6th (I assume that's the one on 7th) and it was 2018. And, it was just a large-scale group of them, nothing crazy. Didn't shock me or anything (but I'm also from a city with a large homeless population). For medium to large-sized American cities, I found it pretty walkable in the core and didn't stumble accross any sketchy neighborhoods, like is easily done in someothers.

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2021, 10:26:54 PM »
My job is flying me out to ATX next week for the UT vs. Rice game. I'm gonna do as much skating as Humanly possible. Thank God for this thread.