Author Topic: Austin, Texas  (Read 12964 times)

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Austin, Texas
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2022, 09:22:09 AM »
There’s a covered DIY I’m looking for, Got some ledges and some unique 1/4 pipes and shit, anyone know where that is?
it's pretty fun

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2022, 08:06:22 AM »
Expand Quote
There’s a covered DIY I’m looking for, Got some ledges and some unique 1/4 pipes and shit, anyone know where that is?
[close]
it's pretty fun

It’s a lot of fun, extremely dusty but I had a good time
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2022, 07:00:01 PM »
Sup gods, I'm going to be heading to Austin from the 12th to 20th of September. Ive been catching up on the reading of the thread but any other new recommendation is always welcome. I also film and shoot photos so I'm always down to hit the streets and get some clips and flicks! No-Comply is the go to shop right?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2022, 09:00:41 PM »
No comply for sure. House park is right around the corner so can’t go wrong. If you skate in the mornings I’m down for a sesh. New park at mueller is pretty fun, pump track and all that.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2022, 07:20:40 PM »
No comply for sure. House park is right around the corner so can’t go wrong. If you skate in the mornings I’m down for a sesh. New park at mueller is pretty fun, pump track and all that.
Sick man thanks so much. Ill shoot you a PM once Im in Austin.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2022, 03:16:02 PM »
Aight gods Im in San Antonio now and will be heading out to Austin tomorrow and staying probably until Sunday. Anyone know a cheap place to stay at near House park or atleast where all the cool bars and shit are? I know I might asking for a bit much and I could just check Airbnb but an insiders data is always welcome!'

PD any info on good bars or anyone that wants to link up and have a few drinks also let me know
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 03:42:18 PM by gsosa »

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2022, 11:33:20 AM »
The easiest place to find a bunch of decent bars is probably the near east side, just across rt35 from the downtown area. Yellow Jacket Social Club is a pretty decent punk/dive with a large outdoor area, and once you find that on a map you can see a hunch of other places near it.

Others I like elsewhere in town are workhorse and lil darlin (which is incidentally right near lizard ditch, great DIY but not close to downtown

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2022, 06:57:02 AM »
my dad and step mom are going to be in town for the next month and my dad loves live music but would be more into classic soul style acts or classic country. anyone know a good way to figure out what shows are coming up over the next month? i tried looking at do512 but seems to show only 2 days.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2022, 04:46:15 PM »
my dad and step mom are going to be in town for the next month and my dad loves live music but would be more into classic soul style acts or classic country. anyone know a good way to figure out what shows are coming up over the next month? i tried looking at do512 but seems to show only 2 days.

https://austin.showlists.net/  Thankfully Showlist is still alive and updated constantly

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2022, 08:19:19 AM »
Y’all really digging mueller? I can’t stand that new park, the pump track looks fun, but the way they set up the street section bothers me, the stair set landing runs perpendicular to the rest of the flow of the park, not that I’m jumping down stairs or anything but I feel like I need to keep my head on a swivel at all times, but to each their own, the pump track looks tight though
You want some queso?”

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2023, 09:52:06 PM »
Just got a place in Austin and moving there somewhat part-time tomorrow. Pretty familiar with a lot of the dive bars bars, Barton Springs, House Park, etc. but always looking for more fun spots to skate (I need to finally hit Candyland) and any food spots/pals that wanna skate. Any other fun things to do in town as well. Feel free to shoot me a DM.

DefinitelyNotNeen

• Rep: 12
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2023, 12:30:44 AM »
Just got a place in Austin and moving there somewhat part-time tomorrow. Pretty familiar with a lot of the dive bars bars, Barton Springs, House Park, etc. but always looking for more fun spots to skate (I need to finally hit Candyland) and any food spots/pals that wanna skate. Any other fun things to do in town as well. Feel free to shoot me a DM.

I hear you can eat burgers in Austin. Like this one, conveniently located at: 85 Rainey St, Austin, TX 78701

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 302
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2023, 08:25:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hear you can eat burgers in Austin. Like this one, conveniently located at: 85 Rainey St, Austin, TX 78701

damn i definitely need to stop by there whenever i go visit. hoping to do more weekend trips out there to camp, climb & skate 

SlapTM

« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2023, 08:39:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha this is Neen's NADC burger and I've had it there. Ripping!

HURRICANEDEATH

• Rep: 3
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2023, 05:11:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Haha this is Neen's NADC burger and I've had it there. Ripping!

don’t go to rainey unless you wanna be drowned in town lake by the rainey street ripper.
Grinding down their system one curb at a time.

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Rep: 21
  • RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2023, 04:52:11 PM »

I'm stoked to know you'll be somewhat part-time living in my city. I'm also connecting the dots, and I want to thank you for bringing several Emerica-related events to Austin and No Comply. That video premiere you helped put together in the parking lot next to the old shop location, where Spanky, Dickson, Julian, and a few others showed up, was really cool. Also, thanks for answering all of our questions in the Emerica thread, and letting us know what was in the pipeline.

You'll enjoy Candyland. I saw Figgy had a short edit full of clips from there, and a got a few photos from there pretty recently too. Also, agreed on how the dust from there will get all over you and your board. Lizard Ditch will be worth your time too. The University of Texas has several great skate spots, but that entire campus is an instant kickout, and sometimes even a ticket if you're over the age of 15. You already know where the good local shop is, and where the good local park is, and if there's anything else you need, you know who to ask. If you want good local barbecue recommendations, I got you there too. I know I'm supposed to be angry about people moving here, but I'm stoked you're moving here.
RIP Ben Raemers

SlapTM

« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2023, 10:46:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm stoked to know you'll be somewhat part-time living in my city. I'm also connecting the dots, and I want to thank you for bringing several Emerica-related events to Austin and No Comply. That video premiere you helped put together in the parking lot next to the old shop location, where Spanky, Dickson, Julian, and a few others showed up, was really cool. Also, thanks for answering all of our questions in the Emerica thread, and letting us know what was in the pipeline.

You'll enjoy Candyland. I saw Figgy had a short edit full of clips from there, and a got a few photos from there pretty recently too. Also, agreed on how the dust from there will get all over you and your board. Lizard Ditch will be worth your time too. The University of Texas has several great skate spots, but that entire campus is an instant kickout, and sometimes even a ticket if you're over the age of 15. You already know where the good local shop is, and where the good local park is, and if there's anything else you need, you know who to ask. If you want good local barbecue recommendations, I got you there too. I know I'm supposed to be angry about people moving here, but I'm stoked you're moving here.
That was a fun premiere. We were in town filming for our Emerica x Shake Junt collab when shops were doing shop premieres so it worked out great for us to be in town for one at No Comply. Of course always down to help any way possible. Funny enough, I live 5 mins from Candyland and will be going there for the first time today as I've been wanting to go for a minute. Been hearing about Lizard Ditch and have only been to the double kink rail at the college. Hit me up if you're around would love to get some sessions and BBQ in! Thank you for all the info and support!

adumb

• Rep: -5
« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2023, 04:28:09 PM »
What are the best venues to catch hip-hop or punk shows?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • sup dog
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2023, 06:35:20 PM »
I live up north. Wells Branch park is chill. Not at all hectic like House.

Good BBQ if you’re in Pflugerville is Brotherton’s Black Iron BBQ.

Great coffee freshly roasted right there is Malone’s. Down the street from Wells Branch park.

Can’t help with bars, sorry :/ but every brewery I’ve been to with a tasting room is always good. Some in East Austin. There’s some breweries in north austin above on Metric (north of Research).

If you like pinball, and old arcade games, go to Pinballz on Resesrch blvd. love that place.

I’ve been here 9 years now and are familiar with some spots, not many, because I mostly only skate parks with the little time I have.  I could give you a rundown on the parks if you ever want.

I already mentioned wells branch, you know House… if you want something else entirely, go out to skate the park in Taylor if you like transition and/or pumping around going fast. It’s an evergreen park with bumps and coping everywhere. Pretty awesome place if you like bowl skating.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2023, 07:38:17 PM »
Yall come skate pville
You want some queso?”

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2023, 05:13:06 AM »
Thinking about checking out neens burger joint this weekend. Anyone been?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0h3mErrtCI/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2023, 10:15:20 AM »
Yall come skate pville
Pee-vile.

I never have fun at Pflugerville park :(
It’s a good park if you’re really, really good at either bowl skating or street… but it’s hard to just mess around. There’s no good flat bar (that one out the huge bank doesn’t count), and there’s not really a good plaza like ledge anywhere except that one box jutting out the bank.

Just my experience, I don’t get buck anymore, but if I did that little five set is fun, as the handrail would be.

Maybe the one redeeming part of it for me is the long, smooth TX ditch recreation. That thing is a marvel for sure.

Edit: and it’s so damn windy there!! And it takes it forever to drive out there. And they put speed bumps in the parking lot ONLY at the skatepark. Mother fuckers just kill the vibe for me before I even get to the park.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2023, 10:30:52 AM »
https://youtu.be/_S62W0xVs48?si=Sk2IsH45jBUgHaWY

Extended family band 360s. Y'all Texan remember this lost classic.?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2023, 06:22:52 PM »

Nope, I can't claim TX as I've only been here 9 years.

I claim NC, and only know this banger. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnA94-hTC8

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2023, 06:33:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Yall come skate pville
[close]
Pee-vile.

It’s a good park if you’re really, really good at either bowl skating or street… but it’s hard to just mess around. There’s no good flat bar (that one out the huge bank doesn’t count), and there’s not really a good plaza like ledge anywhere except that one box jutting out the bank.

Just my experience, I don’t get buck anymore, but if I did that little five set is fun, as the handrail would be.

Maybe the one redeeming part of it for me is the long, smooth TX ditch recreation. That thing is a marvel for sure.

Edit: and it’s so damn windy there!! And it takes it forever to drive out there. And they put speed bumps in the parking lot ONLY at the skatepark. Mother fuckers just kill the vibe for me before I even get to the park.

Damn yea, it’s tough getting anyone out here, if I wanna skate flat I usually go up top near the long curved ledge that goes over the grass gap, or that corner where the bank is, I have never noticed that they put speed bumps only where the park is, guess I’ve never driven around the park, and it’s tucked alll the way in the back, and I always check wind conditions lmao, first park I’ve ever done that at, if you ever do make it out there at night during the week, we usually in the grass patch between the hubbas, I’ll save you a beer say what’s up
You want some queso?”

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2023, 08:12:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yall come skate pville
[close]
Pee-vile.

[close]

Damn yea, it’s tough getting anyone out here, if I wanna skate flat I usually go up top near the long curved ledge that goes over the grass gap, or that corner where the bank is, I have never noticed that they put speed bumps only where the park is, guess I’ve never driven around the park, and it’s tucked alll the way in the back, and I always check wind conditions lmao, first park I’ve ever done that at, if you ever do make it out there at night during the week, we usually in the grass patch between the hubbas, I’ll save you a beer say what’s up
Sick, thanks. It’s def a good vibe out there and it seems like a dope home park to chill at. I think I caught one of the normal crews the last night I remember ever skating there. Maybe it was early Thirsty shop.

The other crew I know is out there is the full pad bowl skaters, but I think they’re a morning thing.

It’s those black bumps in front of the basketball goals. They always piss me off, like it’s the anti-skater shit like the city had beef with skaters so they put them there just to piss us off. I get bugged by things like that… oh well.

I think if I lived in east pflguerville I’d be over there more often, but I gotta mostly stay nearby because not a lot of free time. So the WB is perfect for me.

And maybe you’re a hell of a lot better than me, because I’m 41 and I just find PF to be a great park for really good buck skaters… and really good bowl riders.

But thanks for the invite, for real. If I ever do find myself out there at night I’ll say what’s up and hope that it’s you talked to up here and not some stranger, ha.

(Oh, forgot about another shitty thing that happened to me there: it was near closing one night like three years ago. And I drove to the right at the circle to see if I could get out quicker to get home. The gate was closed so I drove on the grass through rocks. Stupid fucking cop blips his lights on and pulls me over and gives me shit for driving through the grass and dirt when there was clearly tire marks already there. Stupid fucker got his jollies from harassing skaters. Said I would run over the sprinklers.)

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2023, 09:40:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yall come skate pville
[close]
Pee-vile.

[close]

[close]
Sick, thanks. It’s def a good vibe out there and it seems like a dope home park to chill at. I think I caught one of the normal crews the last night I remember ever skating there. Maybe it was early Thirsty shop.

The other crew I know is out there is the full pad bowl skaters, but I think they’re a morning thing.

It’s those black bumps in front of the basketball goals. They always piss me off, like it’s the anti-skater shit like the city had beef with skaters so they put them there just to piss us off. I get bugged by things like that… oh well.

I think if I lived in east pflguerville I’d be over there more often, but I gotta mostly stay nearby because not a lot of free time. So the WB is perfect for me.

And maybe you’re a hell of a lot better than me, because I’m 41 and I just find PF to be a great park for really good buck skaters… and really good bowl riders.

But thanks for the invite, for real. If I ever do find myself out there at night I’ll say what’s up and hope that it’s you talked to up here and not some stranger, ha.

(Oh, forgot about another shitty thing that happened to me there: it was near closing one night like three years ago. And I drove to the right at the circle to see if I could get out quicker to get home. The gate was closed so I drove on the grass through rocks. Stupid fucking cop blips his lights on and pulls me over and gives me shit for driving through the grass and dirt when there was clearly tire marks already there. Stupid fucker got his jollies from harassing skaters. Said I would run over the sprinklers.)

Yea youve definitely seen me out there, I’m one of the Thirsty crew, yea man, that is what I really don’t like about the park, they always keep the back gate near the park closed so you have to come in at pecan or whatever that street is, I wish they would keep that gate open during business hours
You want some queso?”

zapruder

• Rep: 11
« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2023, 08:54:41 PM »
I'll will be in Austin for a week in February with a fat crew to escape the (currently nonexistent) winter. are there any good weekday spots apart from ditches? preferably ledge-oriented. been finding a lot of rad stuff but hard to know the bust rate sometimes

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2023, 12:58:36 PM »
I'll will be in Austin for a week in February with a fat crew to escape the (currently nonexistent) winter. are there any good weekday spots apart from ditches? preferably ledge-oriented. been finding a lot of rad stuff but hard to know the bust rate sometimes

It’s kinda hard to move around without a car in Austin, especially if you looking for ledges, you can pm me and I can try to help, I know a lot of the ledge spots around town and can tell you wether or not you’d be able to skate them
You want some queso?”

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2023, 07:45:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nope, I can't claim TX as I've only been here 9 years.

I claim NC, and only know this banger. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnA94-hTC8

My mom was born down there I think. Camp Lejeune I think it's called. It's on TV all the time something about the water she got lucky rest of the family not so much I heard.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)