Author Topic: Thrasher the 'junk mail' of skate magazines?  (Read 7151 times)

Cool Ceith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
Re: Thrasher the 'junk mail' of skate magazines?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 12:58:20 PM »
Yeah, I still don't understand why they bought Skateboard Mag in the first place.  :o

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 12:59:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Every thrasher interview:
Sup man Whendya start skating? Like 2 years old
Sick man. yeah
What are you up to these days? just skating with the homies
What’s a fun story on the road? bro we raged it one night it was dope
Sick man. yeah
When’s your part coming out? soon
Sick man. yeah
What’s with that trick you did, so hard. yeha man it took a while! But I kept trying you know.
Sick man. yeah
Any last words? thanks mom and dad, thanks to all my sponsors, and let’s like, all go skate and have fun together.
[close]

Fake news.
Go type interview into the search bar of their site and the results strongly contrast your false claim.

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/search/Interview/
Slap is going down the porcelain lately. Stay critical compas.
[close]
Damn you actually read thrasher interviews. Proved me so very wrong
[close]

wait, wait, wait - so let me get this straight.  By you saying "damn, you actually read Thrasher interviews", means you DON'T read Thrasher interviews, but then write "every Thrasher interview:".  Mawfuggas like you are the worst - uninformed, with zero affiliation/knowledge of the subject, yet have the balls to generalize something?!?!?!  Kids these days....GET OFF MY LAWN.
As someone who is desperate to join the super exclusive gx1000 fan club, I think this is where I’m supposed to engage in a physical altercation with you. Can we meet up somewhere? I need that viral coverage

El Nugjar

• Rep: -19
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 01:10:30 PM »
Thrasher is one of the largest sellouts of skateboarding.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1306
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 01:15:11 PM »
The Skateboard Berrics Mag has been pretty bad for a while, I had a subscription for a good while and I barely read any of them for like the last two years of it

Did they ever even make more than 2 issues? Not that I am complaining because holy shit those issues were bad.

"I subscribed to The Skateboard Mag and all I got was this lousy Berrics magazine." t-shirt
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »
Expand Quote
The Skateboard Berrics Mag has been pretty bad for a while, I had a subscription for a good while and I barely read any of them for like the last two years of it
[close]

Did they ever even make more than 2 issues? Not that I am complaining because holy shit those issues were bad.

"I subscribed to The Skateboard Mag and all I got was this lousy Berrics magazine." t-shirt
Yeah it was already going to shit well before that. I was bummed when they got rid of Mailstrom, and then Initial Remarks, and Chirp In. Interviews just got more stale too. It kinda just turned into a super generic skate mag with no character.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Kill_Yourself_Now

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2019, 06:31:24 PM »
Expand Quote

If Thrasher is the McDonald's of skating (not disagreeing) what does that make transworld? Burger King? White Castle?
[close]

The restaurant everyone gave up on years ago due to mediocre food and Ty Evans.

This, very much.  I still keep my Thrasher subscription that I've had the bulk of 30+ years, but fuck TWS, it's so goddamned boring and mediocre that I actually decided the $10/year or so wasn't even worth it and told them to not even bother sending my last issue I was supposed to get before my subscription lapsed.

Funny thing is, I still got that issue AND the new one that I didn't even pay for/want.  I'm guessing they need to keep those circulation numbers up and are doing what all those shitty women's mags like Glamour and the others that are quickly dying off are, which is, to just keep sending you free copies so they can keep convincing their advertisers that they should be paying premium rates by giving artificially inflated circulation numbers.

The ONLY thing worse than TWS was when The Borrics took over The Skateboard Mag, put out, what, 1 or 2 issues and then promptly vanished with everyone's subscription money after turning a once-decent publication into complete garbage. 

Someone please revive PowerEdge, that shit was good.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:35:53 PM by Kill_Yourself_Now »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1201
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2019, 06:39:05 PM »
Fucking Zoobooks has been sending me issues fror the past 28 years and they refuse to stop.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 06:42:23 PM »
Yah power edge was good (homeboy was equally as cool) but how is transworld worse than Thrasher.  I cant see how thats even possible.  Thrasher offends me to my core.      Im sitting beside about 30 issues from the 00s, the worst thing in them is  theyre toxically racial tinged attempts at humor.  Or the 'lingo' they have, like "the mag".
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1306
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 06:42:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

If Thrasher is the McDonald's of skating (not disagreeing) what does that make transworld? Burger King? White Castle?
[close]

The restaurant everyone gave up on years ago due to mediocre food and Ty Evans.
[close]

This, very much.  I still keep my Thrasher subscription that I've had the bulk of 30+ years, but fuck TWS, it's so goddamned boring and mediocre that I actually decided the $10/year or so wasn't even worth it and told them to not even bother sending my last issue I was supposed to get before my subscription lapsed.

Funny thing is, I still got that issue AND the new one that I didn't even pay for/want.  I'm guessing they need to keep those circulation numbers up and are doing what all those shitty women's mags like Glamour and the others that are quickly dying off are, which is, to just keep sending you free copies so they can keep convincing their advertisers that they should be paying premium rates by giving artificially inflated circulation numbers.

The ONLY thing worse than TWS was when The Borrics took over The Skateboard Mag, put out, what, 1 or 2 issues and then promptly vanished with everyone's subscription money after turning a once-decent publication into complete garbage. 

Someone please revive PowerEdge, that shit was good.

The same thing happened with my TWS subscription. They tried renewing my subscription 4 months early and I told them to just go ahead and cancel the whole thing. Got the latest issue the other day.

Berrics mag is McDowell's from the movie Coming to America.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Kill_Yourself_Now

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2019, 07:29:52 PM »
Yah power edge was good (homeboy was equally as cool) but how is transworld worse than Thrasher.  I cant see how thats even possible.  Thrasher offends me to my core.      Im sitting beside about 30 issues from the 00s, the worst thing in them is  theyre toxically racial tinged attempts at humor.  Or the 'lingo' they have, like "the mag".

I can list off some things on this for my personal opinion -

1. TWS is pretty much razor-thin for actual content for anything remotely interesting to read.  And they're sterile as hell being the one mag to always censor shit whenever they wanted to make sure they're "family friendly".  I need at least 3 spend-a-lot-of-time-in-the-can shits to actually go through a full Thrasher, but man, the latest TWS took me all of 10 minutes to read the whole thing. Really, it has that little to offer. 

2. That shitty thick-as-fuck rough washed-out paper TWS uses that makes everything look like you're viewing it from the perspective of someone with both glaucoma AND cataracts makes otherwise good photography seem fucking bland.  Quality pics need gloss, not whatever TWS is doing.

3. TWS has no "personality" to it.  Thrasher may be still trying to appeal to edgy teenagers and sometimes phones it in, but I'd MUCH rather read a tour article in their mag where there were skirmishes with drugged-out gypsies and other weird shit that actually stimulates the imagination a bit than have a 3-sentence dry paragraph that's supposed to give you ANY idea of what the fuck went on for the next 14 pages of shitty bleached photos that accompany it in every TWS feature.

4. When even half the companies whose riders/teams are featured in TWS won't advertise in the mag, you know something's strange.  But, they did have a Harley-Davidson ad, and I'm sure that because they can otherwise only get WeedMaps to advertise, it has to hurt their heads that their sterile image is now tainted with the Devil's lettuce just so they can keep things floating for another issue.

5. Can I mention again how fucking boring TWS is to read/look at?

I'd rather get a solid dose of stupid shit with Thrasher and be mildly entertained for a bit than wonder why I didn't just drop a TWS into the recycle bin with the rest of my junk mail.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2019, 07:41:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

1. TWS is pretty much razor-thin for actual content for anything remotely interesting to read.  And they're sterile as hell being the one mag to always censor shit whenever they wanted to make sure they're "family friendly".  I need at least 3 spend-a-lot-of-time-in-the-can shits to actually go through a full Thrasher, but man, the latest TWS took me all of 10 minutes to read the whole thing. Really, it has that little to offer. 

2. That shitty thick-as-fuck rough washed-out paper TWS uses that makes everything look like you're viewing it from the perspective of someone with both glaucoma AND cataracts makes otherwise good photography seem fucking bland.  Quality pics need gloss, not whatever TWS is doing.

3. TWS has no "personality" to it.  Thrasher may be still trying to appeal to edgy teenagers and sometimes phones it in, but I'd MUCH rather read a tour article in their mag where there were skirmishes with drugged-out gypsies and other weird shit that actually stimulates the imagination a bit than have a 3-sentence dry paragraph that's supposed to give you ANY idea of what the fuck went on for the next 14 pages of shitty bleached photos that accompany it in every TWS feature.

4. When even half the companies whose riders/teams are featured in TWS won't advertise in the mag, you know something's strange.  But, they did have a Harley-Davidson ad, and I'm sure that because they can otherwise only get WeedMaps to advertise, it has to hurt their heads that their sterile image is now tainted with the Devil's lettuce just so they can keep things floating for another issue.

I'd rather get a solid dose of stupid shit with Thrasher and be mildly entertained for a bit than wonder why I didn't just drop a TWS into the recycle bin with the rest of my junk mail.

Quoted for truth. I subscribed just before their bi-monthly switch.

TWS will be dead before 2020. Good riddance. Really wish Thrasher would die out already too.

Skateboard media needs a hard reset.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 08:29:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fair play.  I might be a hair bias cause my 1st mag was a 86 transworld. i talked shit about them for a couple of years but they were pretty sick thru the mid to late 90s.(edit the late 80s ones were probably even better)My buddy told me he saw a demo on his island with j turner d drebol kevin thatcher b kanights.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:35:50 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2019, 09:45:49 PM »
always thought of thrasher as kind of a skate tabloid. never had the best photos or articles, but gives you a good sense of whats happening in skating at a certain time

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 11:38:38 PM »
Thrasher is skateboarding's Vanity Fair: some respected, seasoned contributing writers; legendary photographers that people are eager to shoot with; and a huge variety of columns/features covering a lot of different interests.

They do a great job of balancing the imbalance of ads-to-original writing by ALWAYS delivering. It's crazy how consistent Thrasher has been on a monthly basis. There's a reason why it has its ecclesiastical nickname.

If SLAP was a summer camp you & I would be buds.
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2019, 05:54:03 AM »
Free, Vague and Grey are all mags with better photography and more interesting writing imo.
Thrasher is basically only a social media outlet milking what they once were (which wasn't really that good to begin with, there were just less options back then).