Author Topic: ambivalence  (Read 1117 times)

Deputy Wendell

ambivalence
« on: May 29, 2020, 09:49:21 AM »
as tastefully and respectfully done as this is (in skaters’ own words, etc.), whenever the media outside of skating takes it upon itself to try to capture and render the act/experience of riding a skateboard for the general public, it always leaves a lingering bad taste...one man’s opinion.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/29/arts/skateboarding-nyc-lockdown.html?action=click&module=Editors%20Picks&pgtype=Homepage

by the way, regarding the experience this NYT piece is trying to convey...welcome to what it was like to have spent most of one’s teens and twenties skating the streets of downtown Detroit BEFORE this “New Detroit” fuckaround filled downtown with complacent white gentrifiers and consumers...

formula420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
Re: ambivalence
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 10:00:21 AM »
Can you c/p so we can see past the pay wall?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 10:07:49 AM »
Can you c/p so we can see past the pay wall?

it's all clips following skaters down the street and interactive text, so i don't think that will work

Dong Juan

• Rep: -7
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »
Probably the best thing the times has ever done. That was dope.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 03:04:58 PM »
Nifty

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 03:29:35 PM »
I agree. I learned that the news will always sound dumb when some lady followed us around and wrote the corniest story ever in some newspaper. I'm glad my friends told her a bunch of fake stories that they printed lol.

Spacenoid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
As a journalist myself I applaud NYT for trying to cover COVID-19 thru a different lens. Think a major problem with this article is the quote selection. Just so cheesy at times.

“Slipping through the cracks of society a little bit. Skaters have almost been preparing for this moment their entire lives.”

“It’s all these weird twisty, turny, windy areas and you’re kind of just navigating them, and it feels like there’s like a synergy — or some sort of like relationship between you and the spaces that you’re moving through.”

It's hard, because while those quotes were actually said, I cringe if that's the best these guys came up with after even just a few minutes of sitting down. Like yo, I get it, half these guys probably gave you a bunch of zonked-out quotes but you can do better. Like Shawn Powers and Yaz Wilkerson's quotes were decent. More of those.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1194
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 04:22:32 PM »
As a general rule, talking about skating with people that don’t skate never seems to go well.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.