Author Topic: The Gonz in Korea  (Read 3805 times)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
The Gonz in Korea
« on: January 24, 2019, 05:02:15 PM »
Who's copping a puffy for the winter?

https://markgonzales.co.kr/

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Gonz in Korea
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 05:08:54 PM »

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 05:09:04 PM »
This is a counterfeit brand

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 05:09:09 PM »
he's had a similar brand/ shop in Japan now for years. in fact it probably pays for over half his bills

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 05:10:00 PM »
speeling's too good, fake.

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 05:10:35 PM »
he's had a similar brand/ shop in Japan now for years. in fact it probably pays for over half his bills

My friend DM’d his wife about it and it all operates without his permission and he doesn’t see a penny.

Edit:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:13:44 PM by SIMPLY »

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 05:13:29 PM »
This is definitely real hahaha

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1345
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 05:40:23 PM »
I am catching a lot of second hand embarrassment off of that clothing line. I wonder if it's just nearly impossible to go after this kind of international trademark violation or what?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 05:43:08 PM »
a puffy coat down to the shoes.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 05:50:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My friend DM’d his wife about it and it all operates without his permission and he doesn’t see a penny.

Edit:

well, like Thrasher shoes and bitch skateboards, I'm sure he sold the trademark to them for a hefty wad of cash

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »
This brand has been around for 20 years. Maybe more.

excitableboy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 06:48:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit:

[close]
well, like Thrasher shoes and bitch skateboards, I'm sure he sold the trademark to them for a hefty wad of cash

Wouldn't that amount to giving permission? You think his wife is just lying about it?

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 07:39:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit:
[close]

What part of without permission don't you understand? Generally if you want trademark protection you need to register the trademark in that juristriction or lawyer up, both of which I suspect he hasn't done.

Regardless I'm monitoring Brink's insta for clarification.

HisDudest

• Rep: -140
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 09:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit:
[close]
[close]

What part of without permission don't you understand? Generally if you want trademark protection you need to register the trademark in that juristriction or lawyer up, both of which I suspect he hasn't done.

Regardless I'm monitoring Brink's insta for clarification.

This actually isn't true, stop being an idiot

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 09:23:34 PM »

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 09:33:27 PM »
Koston X Mark Gonzales collab 2020

Roald Dahnkle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 12:47:34 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhSziqEBwbr/

To be fair, I've seen The Gonz push like this too.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 01:20:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit:

[close]

In order to protect his personal image.

I'm pretty sure it's easier to be payed a hefty sum by some weird Koreans who want to run a brand with your Name/Image and then look the other side.

Of course when asked just deny and say that it's not authentic so your authenticity is untouched.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

cloudy

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 08:18:13 AM »
thanks to the "investigative" work conducted in the "koston" skateboard equipment thread [http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=101763.0], i think we found out that trademarks need to be registered in each country in which you're looking to conduct business. that's why the girl skateboard company, inc. (i.e., altamont capital partners) is most likely not making any money of of the "koston" brand in china. to quote big baby jesus from that thread:

Expand Quote
It's extremely difficult for a forgein corporation to get a trademark in China.

As crazy as it would be for Girl/Altamont to be doing this sketch stuff in China it looks like its actually some sketch Chinese company using his name for marketing/sales/deception.
[close]

so just as we were able to conduct a trademark search for "koston" in china, i looked up the trademark for "mark gonzales" in korea. here are the results:

from what i can tell, none of that information can be directly tied to the real mark gonzales. (and i'm not about to go on a deep dive of "KABUSHIKIGAISYA ORGY" at work.)

i did search the address from the bottom of the korean mark gonzales website [https://markgonzales.co.kr/], and that matched up with some brand named "covernat" [http://covernat.net/about_en.php]. in browsing their online store [http://covernat.net/product.php?ca_id=60&depth2=1], it would appear that "mark gonzales" is some sub-brand of covernat:

just for the hell of it, i decided to see what's going on with the "mark gonzales" trademark in china:

i googled the characters of that applicant's name, and that matched with something called "QINGDAO SHEARE’S TRADE Co., Ltd,"

which appears to be a japanese company [http://www.sheares-bag.jp/]. in addition to some bootleg mark gonzales gear, let's see what else they're up to:

i see...

anyways, all that's to say that the international trademark game is some shady business. in that koston thread, we learned that there are foreign knock-ofs of a bunch of stuff (bobby puleo, lakai, supreme, dgk, etc.), and that there's seemingly nothing one can do to put a stop to it.