Author Topic: Pros who kook themselves out of sponsorship  (Read 23639 times)

spanyard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Pros who kook themselves out of sponsorship
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2019, 09:53:38 AM »
Wish I hadn't clicked on that jenkem DS link.

C. R. E. A. M

• Rep: -74
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Gershon Moseley. He used to come to my half pipe when I was a little kid he was pretty cool then I reached out to him on Facebook and he denied ever knowing me and told me not to talk to him
[close]

Sounds like par for the course.  Of all the pros I've encountered over the decades, the lamest of all, by far and away, was Gershon Moseley.  Was at a small party with some skate buddies at a townhouse right near  Strands beach in OC.  We're all in our late teens and everybody's getting their buzz going. And somehow a raging drunk Gershon shows up.  Mind you he's in his early to mid-thirties and nobody knows who invited him. He starts vibing all the guys and talking himself up.  Due to the fact that there are a lot of fine females around and he's getting no attention, he starts to get frustrated and belligerent.  Then he starts trying to pick a fight with this scrawny teenager who's clearly afraid of him. If you look closely, Gershon is pretty fucking muscular, and probably outweighs the kid by at least 40 pounds.  The kid was trying to diffuse the situation but that pathetic bully Gershon was relentless and kept trying to goad him into a fight.  Other people had to intervene, and even then he was pushing them away to try to get at a clearly scared teen.  Seemed like a big act to try to impress the ladies but it's severely backfired and he ended up looking just so awful.

Gershon is definitely a kook.. I was a fan till I heard him talk and read interviews..Some Pros should just  shut the fuck up and skate.. Don't even leave a comment on his YouTube he will respond with how dumb everybody in society is an how much smarter he is... His reason for being kicked out the industry and his terribly named company Obtuse or some gay shit..

shit_for_brains

« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »
Mike York hit the "I'll ride for fuckin ANYBODY!" phase of his career which attracted a lot of bullshit because he was on Chocolate. The shit sponsors (remember when him and Shiloh rode for Dekline?) thought being associated with Chocolate would elevate them, but it was more York was dragging Chocolate into desperate-for-a-checksville and they weren't having it. I don't blame them I wouldn't want my shit about to be associated with a NSS pro model.

HallowedGround6917

• Rep: -1
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »
Hewitt deciding print magazine was a good time to talk about putting saran wrap on someone's face and having someone shit on it got him a quick boot from Nike. I'm all for pro's being transparent but maybe save those for drunken campfire nights.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2019, 01:41:37 PM »
Frankie Hill when he sued a building  for  maybe blowing out his knee.
Carreer ender.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2019, 01:47:42 PM »
You don't think him blowing out his knee might have had something to do with that?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

notcool

« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Greg Myers
Mike York
Ricardo Carvalho
Marc Jonson
Jason Jesse

does Lutzka count?

[close]
  Mike York? Dude is super cool.
[close]

yeah but still got himself kicked off chocolate...
[close]
  I think because he blew his knee out? I don't know
[close]
They told him not to do a tech deck ad and he did it anyway. I guess he only got $200 for the ad. Can’t remeber if I read that in a 48 blocks interview from 11 years ago or what. He said he was drinking because of his knee injury and in a shitty relationship and needed money. Either way his video parts were always great in this old bastards opinion.
[close]
  wtf never heard about the tech deck stuff that's incredible . Heard about the drinking and bad relationship
[close]

first time i've heard about this as well. don't think it was from that 48 blocks interview though because there's no mention of tech deck in there - http://bklyn.48blocks.com/mike-york-2006/. had to dig up this thread from 2006 (before the days of "of"!) to find any reference to it - https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=3536.0.

even though it was nearly 13 years ago, i feel like i see this type of comment on slap at least once a week:

Expand Quote
damn...chocolate's really goin down the shitter.
[close]
whatever happened happened but mike york as a person is a great guy at least when i met him.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2019, 02:05:26 PM »
You don't think him blowing out his knee might have had something to do with that?

Hahahaha holy shit
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

notcool

« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2019, 02:07:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Gershon Moseley. He used to come to my half pipe when I was a little kid he was pretty cool then I reached out to him on Facebook and he denied ever knowing me and told me not to talk to him
[close]

Sounds like par for the course.  Of all the pros I've encountered over the decades, the lamest of all, by far and away, was Gershon Moseley.  Was at a small party with some skate buddies at a townhouse right near  Strands beach in OC.  We're all in our late teens and everybody's getting their buzz going. And somehow a raging drunk Gershon shows up.  Mind you he's in his early to mid-thirties and nobody knows who invited him. He starts vibing all the guys and talking himself up.  Due to the fact that there are a lot of fine females around and he's getting no attention, he starts to get frustrated and belligerent.  Then he starts trying to pick a fight with this scrawny teenager who's clearly afraid of him. If you look closely, Gershon is pretty fucking muscular, and probably outweighs the kid by at least 40 pounds.  The kid was trying to diffuse the situation but that pathetic bully Gershon was relentless and kept trying to goad him into a fight.  Other people had to intervene, and even then he was pushing them away to try to get at a clearly scared teen.  Seemed like a big act to try to impress the ladies but it's severely backfired and he ended up looking just so awful.
no doubt gershons a beast looks like he's worked out in the yard at san quentin for 5 years everyday.  I have photos of him skating with me but i can't upload photos here cause i'm not computer savvy but he's a kook i mean i was a little kid when i skated with him so i get that part he was above me but after skating with him and showing him new spots multiple times and riding in the van with my dad i asked him if you remember me he just says "vaguely"  i was cool and complimented him and he got all sideways with me and did like a mini preach to me how i wasnt a righteous person. i told him off then blocked him.  i hate doing that but i feel it was right to do. sorry. end rant.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2019, 03:01:20 PM »
I get a kick out of knowing everyone in that Mike York thread from 2006 were probably wearing mada jeans and Howard selects.

notcool

« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2019, 03:12:40 PM »
I get a kick out of knowing everyone in that Mike York thread from 2006 were probably wearing mada jeans and Howard selects.
what are those? never owned a pair of lakais and never heard of mada

shit_for_brains

« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2019, 03:33:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're shoes and jeans idiot

notcool

« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2019, 03:50:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

thanks for clarifing that bro really helps out a lot bro

Soft Boiled

• Rep: 21
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2019, 04:57:29 PM »
The brown courdoroy Howard Selects were tight as fuck. I copped a couple pairs from Scottsdale Sidewalk Surfer’s clearance rack.

As far as pro’s blowing it, I know Frank Hirata made some enemies when he designed that Vista Park. Or was it Oceanside?

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2019, 06:12:55 PM »

One time nearly half of skateboarding kooked themselves right out of the industry.   

They were called Vert skaters.

And it was 1992, that was reason enough.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Jacob Gary

« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2019, 06:27:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »
Expand Quote

One time nearly half of skateboarding kooked themselves right out of the industry.   

[close]
I think it was more that they just bored the shit out of everyone who wasn't connected to someone with a half pipe in their backyard. The industry collapsed and all the while they were making fun of kids because they could ollie on flat ground. The documentary about Gator talks about how completely stressed him and Hosoi (and presumably all the other vert guys) were because they realized that street skating was the future and they sucked at it.

"That's what I said, just longer."

Merlin

• Rep: -52
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2019, 08:10:27 PM »
Brian Emmers, sickest skater for a second. Had the best part in plan b’s the revolution in my opinion. If you ever met him, you’d know why he never got a real sponsor after plan b went under.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2019, 08:49:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
I think it was more that they just bored the shit out of everyone who wasn't connected to someone with a half pipe in their backyard. The industry collapsed and all the while they were making fun of kids because they could ollie on flat ground. The documentary about Gator talks about how completely stressed him and Hosoi (and presumably all the other vert guys) were because they realized that street skating was the future and they sucked at it.
[close]

"That's what I said, just longer."
[close]
I guess bored and kooked are two different things to me.

I think it was more that they just bored the shit out of everyone who wasn't connected to someone with a half pipe in their backyard.  - opinion, not relevant to my point
The industry collapsed and all the while they were making fun of kids because they could ollie on flat ground.     - those are kooks being kooks, about to be out of the industry
The documentary about Gator talks about how completely stressed him and Hosoi (and presumably all the other vert guys) were because they realized that street skating was the future and they sucked at it.    - I've seen them street skate style, those are kooks, kooks that became irrelevant until they became infamous.

Like I said, that's what I said.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »
Frankie Hill when he sued a building  for  maybe blowing out his knee.
Carreer ender.

Fake news my friend. He applied for worker's comp to get his knee fixed. That's the extent of it.

God it's like no one even watched Nate Sherwood's Frankie Hill documentary.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

notcool

« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2019, 09:23:25 AM »

he's part of a park design group called spohn ranch I think they have parks all over california

C. R. E. A. M

• Rep: -74
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2019, 08:35:44 PM »
Simon Woodstock was a super kook skim board with trucks and wheels..wearing bathing suits and dressing up in clown outfits and filming video parts has to be the ultimate kook move hands down..

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

• Rep: -27
  • Nobody steals from Creed Bratton
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2019, 07:08:56 PM »
Not that I agree with it, but Danny Gonzalez
"Giovanni Reda sleeps with the fishes"

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • Free Max B
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2019, 03:18:48 AM »
Hewitt deciding print magazine was a good time to talk about putting saran wrap on someone's face and having someone shit on it got him a quick boot from Nike. I'm all for pro's being transparent but maybe save those for drunken campfire nights.
I thought it was because Nieratko asked if Hewitt used his nike checks to buy weed. And the follow up question was “so it’s safe to say nike pays for your drugs?” That’s the version of this I remember.

Also has anyone else besides Hewitt ever gotten back on vans after quitting? I remember hearing they turned down Dylan after nike when he wanted to get back on vans. Then Burton/Gravis offered all those dudes wild money anyway.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2019, 09:01:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I’m sure the methamphetamines didn’t help their “stress” level.

Ducky Fucky

• Rep: -75
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2019, 10:08:02 AM »
Gonz with Kanye and Snoop