Author Topic: Pros who kook themselves out of sponsorship  (Read 23638 times)

Szechuan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
Re: Pros who kook themselves out of sponsorship
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2019, 12:36:24 AM »
Hopefully Bam and Randy Roy never get another box.
Ram Mwarwrera and Randy Roy? Roobie roobie roo!

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2019, 01:34:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
didn't Danny Gonzalez sleep with an important industry heads chick and get blacklisted?

appears Richie Jackson is thirsty for a fully kook out.

koston's "i'm so good but i just don't care" antics in contests didn't warrant separation from sponsors, but he was definitely kookin'
[close]

I believe what you're referring to is a Fabry situation, he was sleeping on Sean Sheffey' couch or living with him slept with his gal. Danny Gonzalez got a raw deal from DLXSF.
[close]
Think his lawsuit against Thrasher is what really did his career in.

Danny Gonzalez quit Stereo and was subsequently kicked off all other DLX companies and banned from Thrasher before being physically beaten by their former cop team manager (as was routine at the time). The lawsuit came later and had little to no bearing on the rest of his (lack of) career.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2019, 02:40:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How did darrell Stanton kook himself out? Referring to element?
[close]

From what I remember,  I’m pretty sure he thought he was worth more than he really was so that rubbed people in the industry the wrong way and he’s been trying out his LinkedIn resume ever since.

EDIT: I could be way of though. Shows how much I really care to think about that dude anymore.
[close]

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2013/06/27/whats-the-deal-with-darrell-stanton/

The Plan B/DC  coup of the mid 00s ruined some of the most exciting skaters of that time.  I’m thinking Wenning, Ladd, and Stanton at least.   Ladd not in the same way, but he still feels like unfulfilled potential

KRKD1

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2019, 03:16:42 AM »
Not that he ever went pro or nothing for anyone reputable or with any semblance of cred in the industry but Jeff Decharcse/Wonsong could have been someone. Or atleast something more than what he is now. Not that he did anything inherently wrong on the kook scale. Cant deny the dude is talented. Just cursed with this ridiculously lame image, trick selection and ugly style/no pop. The kid been doing some really difficult tricks for what feels like 10 years now. he was one of the first "YouTube" skaters to go viral and than never progressed. a decade ago he was doing some pretty difficult but ugly tricks. And he still up to the shit. Nothings changed dudes always looked so uncomfortable and out of place on a skateboad.

Feel like if he would have focused on the basics more and developing some style and a little diversity before learning all those crazy flip and pray tricks he would have had a lot more success in the industry. I think if he wouldnt have limited himself to just trying to huck the most spins and flips down shit he could have at least landed as an amateur on a decent company. Still would have been at the bottom of the barrel but hed be taken seriously at least for his own sake.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 03:26:56 AM by KRKD1 »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2019, 03:37:43 AM »
Not that he ever went pro or nothing for anyone reputable or with any semblance of cred in the industry but Jeff Decharcse/Wonsong could have been someone. Or atleast something more than what he is now. Not that he did anything inherently wrong on the kook scale. Cant deny the dude is talented. Just cursed with this ridiculously lame image, trick selection and ugly style/no pop. The kid been doing some really difficult tricks for what feels like 10 years now. he was one of the first "YouTube" skaters to go viral and than never progressed. a decade ago he was doing some pretty difficult but ugly tricks. And he still up to the shit. Nothings changed dudes always looked so uncomfortable and out of place on a skateboad.

Feel like if he would have focused on the basics more and developing some style and a little diversity before learning all those crazy flip and pray tricks he would have had a lot more success in the industry. I think if he wouldnt have limited himself to just trying to huck the most spins and flips down shit he could have at least landed as an amateur on a decent company. Still would have been at the bottom of the barrel but hed be taken seriously at least for his own sake.

So if he was different in every way?

mpiss

• Rep: 2
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2019, 05:18:17 AM »
Rob Dyrdek??
The year is 2364. Frog will be the only skateboard company.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2019, 05:30:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How did darrell Stanton kook himself out? Referring to element?
[close]

From what I remember,  I’m pretty sure he thought he was worth more than he really was so that rubbed people in the industry the wrong way and he’s been trying out his LinkedIn resume ever since.

EDIT: I could be way of though. Shows how much I really care to think about that dude anymore.
[close]

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2013/06/27/whats-the-deal-with-darrell-stanton/
[close]

The Plan B/DC  coup of the mid 00s ruined some of the most exciting skaters of that time.  I’m thinking Wenning, Ladd, and Stanton at least.   Ladd not in the same way, but he still feels like unfulfilled potential
Wenning, upon getting his first pro shoe for DC couldn’t shoot/film two ads in 12 months to promote it and got the 🥾. Went to Plan B got a web series on their website but didn’t produce more that 30 seconds of actual skating footage for years.
Darrell upon getting on Plan B skipped one of his first big demos on a team trip and went shopping at a nearby mall.

So I’ve heard...
ableSkateMag.com

CarbonaNotWax

• Rep: -10
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2019, 05:41:41 AM »
Duane’s been kooking himself of sponsors since the early 80s.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2019, 07:27:59 AM »
Roskopp on rollerblades

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2019, 08:02:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

His inward heel down the 16 which was IMMEDIATELY usurped by someone else doing the same exact trick not kooky was my favorite shit.
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2019, 08:58:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
didn't Danny Gonzalez sleep with an important industry heads chick and get blacklisted?

appears Richie Jackson is thirsty for a fully kook out.

koston's "i'm so good but i just don't care" antics in contests didn't warrant separation from sponsors, but he was definitely kookin'
[close]

I believe what you're referring to is a Fabry situation, he was sleeping on Sean Sheffey' couch or living with him slept with his gal. Danny Gonzalez got a raw deal from DLXSF.
[close]
Think his lawsuit against Thrasher is what really did his career in.
[close]

Danny Gonzalez quit Stereo and was subsequently kicked off all other DLX companies and banned from Thrasher before being physically beaten by their former cop team manager (as was routine at the time). The lawsuit came later and had little to no bearing on the rest of his (lack of) career.

Don't doubt the timeline/events but there must be more contention/kooking surrounding him quiting a company with a sensitive intellectual image and getting the rod from the rest of DLX followed with a beat down.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1189
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2019, 11:42:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not my cup of tea either but good for him doing his thing.  At least he’s not sliding around on his ass dressed like a gay pirate (no offense to gay pirates.) 

He’s like this generation’s Nate Sherwood.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2019, 11:49:44 AM »
No he couldn't. Set aside his skating, the dude is so hard to like as a person. But with his skating, his tricks sometimes having a restraining order on him probably doesn't help either.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 01:12:05 PM by Trickflip »

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2019, 12:03:34 PM »
kanten russell walked away well before he should have.
Sumner.
Ragdoll

D10S

• Rep: -54
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »

Greg Myers
Mike York
Ricardo Carvalho
Marc Jonson
Jason Jesse

does Lutzka count?

ungzilla

« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2019, 12:23:27 PM »
no he kooked himself into sponsorship

ScudMantels

• Rep: -104
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2019, 12:30:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Not my cup of tea either but good for him doing his thing.  At least he’s not sliding around on his ass dressed like a gay pirate (no offense to gay pirates.) 

He’s like this generation’s Nate Sherwood.

I knew Jeffwonsong was gonna be stuck on the land of misfit toys with sherwood, todd falcon and jim bates the first time I laid eyes on him. Sometimes your flaws will always outweigh your skill and you have to accept it. Nonetheless the dude accomplished many acheivements, more than 99% of us will ever do

thebacker

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2019, 12:33:25 PM »
Rob Dyrdek??

nope, dude was super good before fame hit

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2019, 12:55:02 PM »
Nick Rix talked shit to koston. Never made it in the industry because of it.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2019, 01:10:16 PM »
duffman way back when
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

notcool

« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2019, 02:37:27 PM »

Greg Myers
Mike York
Ricardo Carvalho
Marc Jonson
Jason Jesse

does Lutzka count?
  Mike York? Dude is super cool.

SkateChimney

• Rep: -29
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2019, 02:53:31 PM »
that lad from Sheffield who was on Nike that got caught noncing, forgot his name

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2019, 03:39:05 PM »
that lad from Sheffield who was on Nike that got caught noncing, forgot his name

Fuck, I even read that with an accent.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2019, 04:30:30 PM »

humanflies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2019, 04:53:08 PM »
jonny layton, maybe not fully but boy oh boy

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2019, 05:14:55 PM »
Ryan Nix

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2019, 05:16:46 PM »
jonny layton, maybe not fully but boy oh boy

Total shame.

Dude had a sweet cock.

I mean switch 360 flip.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2019, 05:29:56 PM »
My very first exposure to Jeff "Pine" wong whatever, was a reaction video of him responding to some haters. 

Then I saw him skate.  Couldn't tell you which activity had less finesse.

Gnars to whoever posts that video. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
this?

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2019, 06:22:37 PM »
this?

That’s actually pretty funny.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.