Author Topic: things you learned skating today  (Read 8430 times)

formula420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
Re: things you learned skating today
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2019, 12:59:03 PM »
Getting pop on backside flips in transition. I could backside flop them, but I am starting to actually pop and catch now without launching myself to flat.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2019, 02:55:42 PM »
Sw 3flips are so close yet so far. Definitely make more sense than regular ones for me though. I’ll try to place my phone and land one on film for extra motivation tomorrow.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2019, 06:28:43 AM »
Sw 3flips are so close yet so far. Definitely make more sense than regular ones for me though. I’ll try to place my phone and land one on film for extra motivation tomorrow.

Hang your front foot out there for a half a second longer

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2019, 06:46:20 AM »
Switch 360 flip is a great feeling trick. Took me forever to figure out the scoop. They came and went until I started doing nollie 360 flips all the time, then relearned switch ones on flat banks because then they work exactly like flatground nollie ones, you just adapt your body positioning and it's a great way to force yourself to learn how to do just that.

On topic the other day I did my first switch ollies down decent stair sets or at least realized I could do them (I didn't bail any so I guess they were in me and I didn't know), I had never really tried them down shit, only over obstacles and across flat gaps. Down sets I was always your basic switch frontside guy who'd switch frontside 180 or big spin stuff but not even try to go down switch straight due to being used to my shoulders winding up (and if I'd want to go straight down stairs I'd just nollie them instead), and being uncomfortable with the impact. Maybe that's because it's still fresh but floating down shit switch feels so fucking amazing, it's like a magic carpet ride and reconnecting with being a kid figuring out the most basic skate shit at the same time. And then you get to add a whole dimension to how you read your city and its spots. Simple pleasures
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:47:57 AM by silhouette »

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2019, 09:48:27 AM »
On topic the other day I did my first switch ollies down decent stair sets or at least realized I could do them (I didn't bail any so I guess they were in me and I didn't know), I had never really tried them down shit, only over obstacles and across flat gaps. Down sets I was always your basic switch frontside guy who'd switch frontside 180 or big spin stuff but not even try to go down switch straight due to being used to my shoulders winding up (and if I'd want to go straight down stairs I'd just nollie them instead), and being uncomfortable with the impact. Maybe that's because it's still fresh but floating down shit switch feels so fucking amazing, it's like a magic carpet ride and reconnecting with being a kid figuring out the most basic skate shit at the same time. And then you get to add a whole dimension to how you read your city and its spots. Simple pleasures

Can't agree more on this, I'm really into switch ollies from bump over "whatever is hanging around", It really feels like I'm floating, as if the trick lasts longer than a regular trick.

Same for sw fs boardslide, after years without doing them, I was pleasantly surprised about how it feels landing quite long ones to switch, locking my shoulder like I would do on regular.

Brguy

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2019, 12:33:13 PM »
I just realized if you put your back foot before the middle of the tail you can pop your shove its as hard as you want and they wont spin unpredictably.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2019, 03:38:48 PM »
I just realized if you put your back foot before the middle of the tail you can pop your shove its as hard as you want and they wont spin unpredictably.

what do you mean by 'back foot before the middle of the tail'?
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

Brguy

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2019, 05:17:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what do you mean by 'back foot before the middle of the tail'?
With your toes standing before the tail starts to curve forward(in your vision). Here, I drew something. I'm goofy, btw.