Author Topic: Addidas shelltoes  (Read 3617 times)

Far from relevant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -100
Addidas shelltoes
« on: January 29, 2019, 08:59:31 AM »
They look cool and are durable but man do they ever suck to skate in. Stiff as a board, can barely feel the board and to top if off they make a squeaking noise every time you do a trick. Seems like some people swear by them, what are your experience with this shoe ?

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
Re: Addidas shelltoes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 10:00:12 AM »
I skated the black on black superstars.  the originals not the skateboarding ones.  the side blew out in spectacular fashion but the actual shell toe part held up strong.  I skated non skateboarding stan smiths many years ago and found those to hold up better than skateboarding stan smiths.

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 12:19:29 PM »
Richard Angelides

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 09:57:22 AM »
They look cool and are durable but man do they ever suck to skate in. Stiff as a board, can barely feel the board and to top if off they make a squeaking noise every time you do a trick. Seems like some people swear by them, what are your experience with this shoe ?
I swear by them. (The vulc advs that is.)
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 08:16:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I swear by them. (The vulc advs that is.)

Same here. I love skating the actual skate one, the superstar vulc. I think they look classic and skate really good. I wish they had more colorways of them each season. I only ever find them now if they're on sale on the floor of a shop never on the wall or anything. I'm still skating a pair now. They last long. It takes a bit but you can make a good groove in the shelltoe for easier kickflips.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 09:54:55 PM »
I'm skating the Tyshawns, and one you break em in and rough up the toe they are great....

burn_to_live

• You had to be there.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 10:37:11 PM »
I'm skating the Tyshawns, and one you break em in and rough up the toe they are great....
I've never tried a high-top version, but that's next for sure.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 12:37:05 AM »
Back in the day(2006/2007) I couldn’t afford skate gear, skated my old pair of classic white with black stripe superstars and since they were so worn in they skated good for me

Sorta like a non sb dunk but not as good but same class(classic cupsole shoe)

Didn’t a bunch of pros skate superstars back then, and especially the campus
yes

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 11:04:46 AM »
I skated at least 15 pairs of those... I agree that they're stiff though. So I just wore mine for a month or two first and than used them to skate in, and were a new pair around. That worked fine and they were really durable too :o

burn_to_live

• You had to be there.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 03:35:31 PM »
I skated at least 15 pairs of those... I agree that they're stiff though. So I just wore mine for a month or two first and than used them to skate in, and were a new pair around. That worked fine and they were really durable too :o
Same thing I do.

juuhnuuh

• Rep: -157
  • i love the 90's
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 04:08:59 AM »
The vulc ADV's are the shit, idk how this works for you guys but this shoe actually allows me to heelflip better.

They do become soft, after about 5/10 sessions though but they last, and the heelpiece is solid so you do get arch support.

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 04:26:54 AM »
Those have the Adiprene insole in it, right?  I bought a pair of Suciu 2 in 10.5, which is mostly what I wear in other shoes, and they felt super tight, and my heel slipped out when I tried to skate them.  I tried rocking them barefoot but they were still too tight.  I don't think going a half size up would help the heel lock much, so I just put some Huf insoles in there instead.  I wish there was a way to shave a millimeter or 2 off the Adiprene insole to make it a tad thinner.  I should get a meat slicer like Kramer, that'll do the trick  ;D

burn_to_live

• You had to be there.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 08:10:13 AM »
Those have the Adiprene insole in it, right?  I bought a pair of Suciu 2 in 10.5, which is mostly what I wear in other shoes, and they felt super tight, and my heel slipped out when I tried to skate them.  I tried rocking them barefoot but they were still too tight.  I don't think going a half size up would help the heel lock much, so I just put some Huf insoles in there instead.  I wish there was a way to shave a millimeter or 2 off the Adiprene insole to make it a tad thinner.  I should get a meat slicer like Kramer, that'll do the trick  ;D
Yeah, the adiprene is my favorite and least favorite.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 08:14:01 AM »
I used to buy them in the 90s-early 00 because they used to be 1/2 the price of a skate shoe and would last somewhat the same since I was into grinding than stairs and flipping at the time

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 01:48:34 PM »
After skating a few pairs I can say the hi tops skate better for me. When I went back to the lo my foot felt like it was sitting pretty high. The hi top suede skated amazing and I would buy them again. I also agree about the insoles being the best AND the worst.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 03:33:18 PM »
I swore by them for a few months, when I was broke and I could pick them up reduced. I didn't have much problem flicking with them like most people I know would tell me.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 07:20:18 PM »
After skating a few pairs I can say the hi tops skate better for me. When I went back to the lo my foot felt like it was sitting pretty high. The hi top suede skated amazing and I would buy them again. I also agree about the insoles being the best AND the worst.

I can see this because the insoles are crazy high....the high balances the shoe better.  I took em out anyhow with the highs, put in my own, they were too thick.  New the shoe just felt so tick and kinda stiff but I gotta say they break in nice....

juuhnuuh

• i love the 90's
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 03:12:51 AM »
The ADV vulcs are great but they do become soft after about 6/8 sessions. I took out the adiprene and put some Koston 3 insoles in (also thick but a little less so) and that created a near perfect fit for me.

Btw somehow these shoes allow me to heelflip with much more control, has anyone ever noticed shoes effecting heelflip tricks before?

juuhnuuh

• i love the 90's
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 02:21:04 AM »
Btw how many versions of this shoe are there? OG Superstar, 80's, DLX, superstar 2, Vulc ADV.
Anybody skated them all?

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 04:07:41 AM »
Does anybody remember the ones with the double tongue? I think they were the skate ones way back when. I know all the Swansea heads rocked them in footy.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 05:31:32 AM »
Shell-toes: yes.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 06:24:07 AM »
Does anybody remember the ones with the double tongue? I think they were the skate ones way back when. I know all the Swansea heads rocked them in footy.

Yesss! The supermodified! 90's classic.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

juuhnuuh

• i love the 90's
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 07:16:17 AM »
those are crazy.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 01:05:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yesss! The supermodified! 90's classic.

I had these too, so good.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 08:06:17 AM »
Great to here from everyone. As far as looks goes probably one of the best looking skate shoes, but they just dont work for me. I do however swear by the buzenitz and the campus vulcs, and was a huge fan of the regular campus shoe before addidas made skate shoes.