Author Topic: Anyone know what happened to Gravette?  (Read 25404 times)

Brguy

Re: Anyone know what happened to Gravette?
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2019, 03:54:36 AM »
He's fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YkG0zFkLAg
This video is from 2010. Do you have some sort of mental disability?

SpankerChief

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2019, 08:31:03 AM »
If I was DG I'd have slowly bridged that gap of once skater now avid BMX rider see where that ends up?      Yeah I'd bite the bullet and at least roll with that till something else milder but equally outdoorsy comes along. There's not much else to 5050 or Huck yourself down?
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2019, 09:15:17 AM »
Way ahead of his time. The only people who hate this guy think east coast cellar door skate parts are innovative. Heal up soon bud.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2019, 09:27:49 AM »
He’s grinding the never ending rail.

so deep   

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2019, 10:10:58 AM »
I am very very surprised at how much love her gets here! I thought he would get slapped around way more.

Good for him.. He was one of my fav's on KOTR.

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2019, 01:50:18 PM »
Expand Quote
This video is from 2010. Do you have some sort of mental disability?

Yeah, guess he was doing just fine in 07

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2019, 06:20:08 PM »
I know a really good older vert guy who had skated 30+ years and quit cold turkey after breaking his hip. The injury put him in a hospital bed for a good while and I believe his thinking was something along the lines of "I'd like to be able to walk for my next 40 years on this planet."

The older I get the less crazy that sounds.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2019, 06:46:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A bright light in the dark tunnel that was skateboarding my freshman year of high school. Everyone was wearing that pac man all over print tk kr3w hoodie and tight pants with huge shirts. Then I got black and blue volume one and learned back 3 no complies. A tip of the hat to you my good sir
[close]
Dude, I had the black version of said hoodie my freshman year. Call me a kook but that hoodie was sick as fuck! 2006 w was a great time in skating, the golden era imo. I got bag of suck with that hoodie as well for my birthday from stratosphere skatshop, GTs dads shop.
[close]

Yeah, Thomas probably called you a kook right after you walked out the door. 2006 was not a golden time in skating dude. 2003, 4, maybe, but 6? That's gonna be a no from me dawg
[close]
Jerry Hsu in bag of suck, nick trapasso in suffer the joy, Jon Allie in it’s time, and let’s not forget Dylan Rieder in a time to shine. Sounds pretty golden to me. Plus, I said era you dumbass so I’m pretty sure two years before would count towards my point. By the way Thomas was cool as fuck and gave me a poster of Grants welcome to alien ad of him grinding the 18 stair at Mercer college in Atlanta. Don’t go poking your nose where it don’t belong, I live for this shit. Shalom
[close]

You have 5 posts and you're trying to shalom me?  I like jerry bos but none of those other parts had a lasting effect on me. I don't really care about  mid 2000s stair and handrail skating. Like I said, I felt like gravette helped pull us out of a dark era. That kr3w jacket was terrible, you're misguided but I forgive you
[close]
When in Rome dude.....I may have 5 posts but I’ve been on this site for years and skateboarding my whole life so don’t try and cool guy me. You all bringing up peoples post count is equivalent to Ritchie Jackson bringing up his number of followers. if you think those were the dark ages than you are as dumb as you sound. Go find some other newbie to pick on because I’m not the one.
[close]
Most don't think of 2006 AKA "the era of bad fits" as a golden time in skateboarding but claiming Gravette "pulled us out of the dark ages" when he came up at the same time as Jake Johnson, GT, Brandon Westgate, Wes Kremer, Alex Olson, etc is some next-level revisionist history. So, y'all are both wrong, but feel free to keep arguing.
[close]

Never said dark ages like it was some ancient history or anything, just saying 2004-2009 was pretty weird. Gear and music was pretty goofy

I agree with 2004-2009 being weird
wash uffize drive me to firenze

Mickey Knox

• Rep: -32
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2019, 07:15:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A bright light in the dark tunnel that was skateboarding my freshman year of high school. Everyone was wearing that pac man all over print tk kr3w hoodie and tight pants with huge shirts. Then I got black and blue volume one and learned back 3 no complies. A tip of the hat to you my good sir
[close]
Dude, I had the black version of said hoodie my freshman year. Call me a kook but that hoodie was sick as fuck! 2006 w was a great time in skating, the golden era imo. I got bag of suck with that hoodie as well for my birthday from stratosphere skatshop, GTs dads shop.
[close]

Yeah, Thomas probably called you a kook right after you walked out the door. 2006 was not a golden time in skating dude. 2003, 4, maybe, but 6? That's gonna be a no from me dawg
[close]
Jerry Hsu in bag of suck, nick trapasso in suffer the joy, Jon Allie in it’s time, and let’s not forget Dylan Rieder in a time to shine. Sounds pretty golden to me. Plus, I said era you dumbass so I’m pretty sure two years before would count towards my point. By the way Thomas was cool as fuck and gave me a poster of Grants welcome to alien ad of him grinding the 18 stair at Mercer college in Atlanta. Don’t go poking your nose where it don’t belong, I live for this shit. Shalom
[close]

You have 5 posts and you're trying to shalom me?  I like jerry bos but none of those other parts had a lasting effect on me. I don't really care about  mid 2000s stair and handrail skating. Like I said, I felt like gravette helped pull us out of a dark era. That kr3w jacket was terrible, you're misguided but I forgive you
[close]
When in Rome dude.....I may have 5 posts but I’ve been on this site for years and skateboarding my whole life so don’t try and cool guy me. You all bringing up peoples post count is equivalent to Ritchie Jackson bringing up his number of followers. if you think those were the dark ages than you are as dumb as you sound. Go find some other newbie to pick on because I’m not the one.
[close]
Most don't think of 2006 AKA "the era of bad fits" as a golden time in skateboarding but claiming Gravette "pulled us out of the dark ages" when he came up at the same time as Jake Johnson, GT, Brandon Westgate, Wes Kremer, Alex Olson, etc is some next-level revisionist history. So, y'all are both wrong, but feel free to keep arguing.
[close]

Never said dark ages like it was some ancient history or anything, just saying 2004-2009 was pretty weird. Gear and music was pretty goofy
[close]

So what do you all prefer? I feel like you all are probably close in age to me so I’m interested. I agree with the gear being a bit strange but the videos that came out of that era are my favorite. Can’t beat that late vx footage on dvd format with random bonus features and tour footage. I love the older transworld, habitat, alien, and eastern exposure stuff but that was a little before my time so I couldn’t relate to it as much. I think the singular thrasher part/instagram era we are in now as far weirder but maybe I’m a little biased.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2019, 07:25:34 PM »
a lot of videos from 2004 are horribly dated and don't have any shelf life. the videos before that are a different story.

Mickey Knox

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2019, 07:40:42 PM »
a lot of videos from 2004 are horribly dated and don't have any shelf life. the videos before that are a different story.
I love how people on slap like to make a point without providing any examples or context. For one, do yourself a favor and order bag of suck. That video is the shit. Start to finish. I think That’s Life came out in 2004, another good one. I just want to know what you are referring to.

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2019, 07:48:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I love how people on slap like to make a point without providing any examples or context. For one, do yourself a favor and order bag of suck. That video is the shit. Start to finish. I think That’s Life came out in 2004, another good one. I just want to know what you are referring to.

That’s Life and Bag of Suck both ruled.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2019, 08:21:01 PM »
This comment killed me

honey island

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2019, 08:33:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you want me to give you examples of completely banal and forgettable skate videos from that era? i literally don't remember. hence the post.

of course some gold escaped, but there is a lot of shit.  so much of the skating and filming is so unimaginative.

also when i say from 2004, i'm talking 2004 onwards.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:37:40 PM by honey island »

Mickey Knox

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2019, 08:53:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

you want me to give you examples of completely banal and forgettable skate videos from that era? i literally don't remember. hence the post.

of course some gold escaped, but there is a lot of shit.  so much of the skating and filming is so unimaginative.

If you’re going to make a bold statement, have some evidence to back it up. Use all the pretentious adjectives you want, still sounds to me like you don’t know what you are talking about. I’ve got dvds for days from that time period that would get you siked. Unless you’re some Ricky Oyola type purist that shuts down anything that’s not raw street skating to slow jazz and in that case, good day to you sir.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2019, 09:00:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
If you’re going to make a bold statement, have some evidence to back it up. Use all the pretentious adjectives you want, still sounds to me like you don’t know what you are talking about. I’ve got dvds for days from that time period that would get you siked. Unless you’re some Ricky Oyola type purist that shuts down anything that’s not raw street skating to slow jazz and in that case, good day to you sir.

ye man, come on over with those dvds!!!! bring over all the digital dvds. haha i love a good tour selection. mmm park footy from all over the USA, yes pls ;)

nah fuck east coast shit man. give me some palm trees white tee brown cords & rjd2. thank you Sir!

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2019, 09:07:27 PM »
This comment killed me

Hey David are you film for new part right now?

Mickey Knox

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

ye man, come on over with those dvds!!!! bring over all the digital dvds. haha i love a good tour selection. mmm park footy from all over the USA, yes pls ;)

nah fuck east coast shit man. give me some palm trees white tee brown cords & rjd2. thank you Sir!
Those digital videos were early 2000s so your still proving to be out of touch with the period I’m referring to. I’ve lived on the east coast my whole life, love that shit. Was just making a point that you sound like one of those bitter Ricky Oyola types. Guess that’s most of the people on here though so I guess I should get used to it. Thanks for the more in depth reply though, the white tee/cords comment had me rolling hahahaha Is this a gipper 2.0 account?

honey island

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2019, 09:37:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Those digital videos were early 2000s so your still proving to be out of touch with the period I’m referring to. I’ve lived on the east coast my whole life, love that shit. Was just making a point that you sound like one of those bitter Ricky Oyola types. Guess that’s most of the people on here though so I guess I should get used to it. Thanks for the more in depth reply though, the white tee/cords comment had me rolling hahahaha Is this a gipper 2.0 account?

they made digital videos up until 2009.

hey man, would love to sit here and talk, but i'm gonna go watch santa cruz - guarte on dvd and hit up nick mcclough on aim later.peace.

Mickey Knox

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2019, 09:45:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

they made digital videos up until 2009.

hey man, would love to sit here and talk, but i'm gonna go watch santa cruz - guarte on dvd and hit up nick mcclough on aim later.peace.
Yeah you lost me there, Never heard that video or name in my life. Peace Rick ✌🏻

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2019, 06:42:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
So what do you all prefer? I feel like you all are probably close in age to me so I’m interested. I agree with the gear being a bit strange but the videos that came out of that era are my favorite. Can’t beat that late vx footage on dvd format with random bonus features and tour footage. I love the older transworld, habitat, alien, and eastern exposure stuff but that was a little before my time so I couldn’t relate to it as much. I think the singular thrasher part/instagram era we are in now as far weirder but maybe I’m a little biased.

I started skating in 06 so I will always have a soft spot for that era. Looking back I agree that things were kinda off. If I am not mistaken this was around the time shoes started to slim down? Which was a big deal in my middle school. Sooo many great videos came out around that time, it seems like those were the last days of having decent music for parts.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2019, 08:20:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Sans a few parts, That's Life is horribly dated. The mid-2000s were my formative years, as well, but for every Bag of Suck or Lost and Found, there are three Digital videos, a Jereme Rogers' Neighborhood, and an Elementality floating around. That's not to say cool stuff didn't happen, but I wouldn't say the period was defined by the cool stuff that was happening as much as a lot of the mediocrity we saw.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Mickey Knox

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2019, 09:28:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Sans a few parts, That's Life is horribly dated. The mid-2000s were my formative years, as well, but for every Bag of Suck or Lost and Found, there are three Digital videos, a Jereme Rogers' Neighborhood, and an Elementality floating around. That's not to say cool stuff didn't happen, but I wouldn't say the period was defined by the cool stuff that was happening as much as a lot of the mediocrity we saw.
Well said, I think I value that era more than anything because skating was so new to me. Wasn’t as jaded as I am today.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2019, 10:31:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I started skating in 06 so I will always have a soft spot for that era. Looking back I agree that things were kinda off. If I am not mistaken this was around the time shoes started to slim down? Which was a big deal in my middle school. Sooo many great videos came out around that time, it seems like those were the last days of having decent music for parts.

yeah man, we need more the delgados, peter bjorn & john, the organ & thao & the get down stay down in 2019

heckler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2019, 10:45:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

yeah man, we need more the delgados, peter bjorn & john, the organ & thao & the get down stay down in 2019
I refuse to hear any blasphemy against this masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01C6xa6DPD0

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

It just doesn't compare to 00-03, which saw the release of:

Photosynthesis
Sorry
Sight Unseen
Yeah Right
Mosaic
PJ Ladd's Wonderful Horrible Life
Baker 2G
This is Skateboarding
Man Down
Menikmati
Dying to Live
Bon Appetit
Cash Money Vagrant
The DC Video
7 Year Glitch
Real to Reel

That list is stacked. Of course 04-09 has good stuff too (Mind Field,Fully Flared,Static 3,Bag of Suck,etc) but I just think it was a step back from the previous few years.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

honey island

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2019, 11:11:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

great part. fun fact - between his lost & found, make friends, palasonic, full flared, lotties part he has over 250 tricks, not a single switch flip trick, in fact all 4 of his sw tricks involved a sw fs 180. the more you know. also i dont recall a single 360 flip either

• Rep: -42
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2019, 11:28:12 AM »
Oh come on. You all know the only wack era of skateboarding is the early 90s. Big pants, small wheels, and lame ledge combos. I'll happily watch any era except that trash. Freestyle primos is better than that. After 99 every year got better, and continues to get better. Today is always the best time for skating.
You can throw me on the double kink box and then watch the hate ignored like Constitution by the congressmen

heckler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

great part. fun fact - between his lost & found, make friends, palasonic, full flared, lotties part he has over 250 tricks, not a single switch flip trick, in fact all 4 of his sw tricks involved a sw fs 180. the more you know. also i dont recall a single 360 flip either
I thought he couldn't skate switch for years until I saw him doing a switch crooks on Daniel Wheatley's instagram, now I feel like my whole life is a lie. I knew I had seen him do a 360 flip, though, so I went on the hunt and it's in a line with a nollie 180, one of the only nollie tricks I've ever seen him do. 15:50:
https://vimeo.com/57763698

jesus horse

• Rep: -43
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2019, 11:47:41 AM »
So many triggered tough guys on Slap these days. Mickey Knox and contrarian are either the same person or closet wannabe lesbian lovers.