Author Topic: Used mini dv tapes?  (Read 1557 times)

Centipede

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
  • I´ll pay with blood for a Century MK1 fisheye.
Used mini dv tapes?
« on: February 11, 2019, 07:18:02 AM »
I was going to buy a pack of 57 mini dv tapes that were used only once at a hella good price, but someone on the forum said that i´d better buy some new ones, is there some negative point about re recording on mini dv tapes?

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Re: Used mini dv tapes?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 07:33:15 AM »
You may experience glitches. I would buy new tapes to be safe. Last thing you want is to find out that you spent 2 hours filming a trick to have a glitch ruining the clip.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 07:35:29 AM »
You can use a mini DV tape several times, yes.

A magnetic tape can withstand at least 500 reading/writing without any quality loss or changes in the magnetic level.

You need to stop using a tape when the lubrication is not effective anymore, or when the tape is crumpled, but it is not always easy to check.

People are using tapes only one time mainly to keep a copy of the original footages...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 03:28:53 AM »
I'd be nervous about inserting a tape someone else used in a different camera if I were in your shoes, you never know what their tape deck looked like, a lot of people don't baby their VX's the way they really should, so I'd be scared of importing dust / dirt / lubricant leftovers from the heads of the first camera onto mine (heads are really easy to get dirty, changing tapes out in the open and whatnot), I've seen all kinds of glitches result from sketchy tape switch ups, even heads getting misaligned for good once (I guess the former camera had brutalized the tape). Technically you should be somewhat safe but practically it should be a last resort type of situation. I know I like to use fresh tapes only because I've had, and seen, many cameras suddenly go to shit exactly due to that tempting 'meh, that'll do' mentality when it comes to tapes, VX's and others.

Think of it as fucking a stranger without a condom. You can always do it, but...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:30:46 AM by silhouette »

southphillytapwater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 05:23:46 AM »
Think of it as fucking with a stranger's used condom. You can always do it, but...

Switch Tre Gang

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 05:28:00 AM »
Yeah I'd steer clear of used ones and get brand new ones if you can afford to, better to be safe than sorry!

anontechnician

• Rep: -9
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 08:02:46 AM »
Sell your vx and kit if you can get 500+ for it, cash for new set of tires, oil change, deck and grip.

If not, buy the tapes and inspect them and toss the usedest ones and film and forget about it.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 08:21:33 AM »
What the fuck
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 02:31:24 PM »
bought like 500 tapes from a wedding filmer a few years back, it was pretty obvious they'd been used only once, most weren't even full.

they don't glitch any more or less than new tapes, but the thing is, if one does fuck up and you ruin someone's footage, you're gonna take some heat.

shalom to you all

• Rep: -1
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 01:40:06 AM »
bought like 500 tapes from a wedding filmer a few years back, it was pretty obvious they'd been used only once, most weren't even full.

they don't glitch any more or less than new tapes, but the thing is, if one does fuck up and you ruin someone's footage, you're gonna take some heat.

Word, I used to reuse tapes - did that once and now I don't risk it. Way too much heat!