Author Topic: Justin Henry calls out Clint Walker for blackface  (Read 50449 times)

Craig Lutzka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
Re: Justin Henry calls out Clint Walker for blackface
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2019, 01:17:25 PM »
Clint should focus his career.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2019, 01:27:20 PM »
"well you know, dave chappelle has a black face and i love him, so its cool if i paint my face black.... sorry"
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2019, 01:27:26 PM »
dumb, but not blackface. blackface is a historically specific thing, and offensive because it was meant to caricature and ridicule. A white person dressing up as a black person, or black character from a tv show, is not blackface, though it can be dumb and offensive in other ways, or just simply a bad idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:31:41 PM by botefdunn »

KRKD1

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »
skaters back in the day didn't care much for dressing up on Halloween...If they did, the costume was definitely evident they skated or don't give a fuck...

Do you even skate? Or do you skate by yourself? Have never partook in a Halloween jam at your local? Maybe your scene is just shitty possibly? I'll give you the half assed costumes for sure but that's it.

Halloween hellride and events like it been around fore awhile man. You sleepin. And missing out on a really fun skateboard holiday.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2019, 01:38:58 PM »
dumb, but not blackface. blackface is a historically specific thing, and offensive because it was meant to caricature and ridicule. A white person dressing up as a black person, or black character from a tv show, is not blackface, though it can be dumb and offensive in other ways, or just simply a bad idea.

youre so right, i titled this thread as a form of click bait.  i should have made it, "skater guy calls out irrelevant ponytail skater on instagram like a man for halloween costume gone wrong."

decaf

• Rep: -20
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2019, 01:42:46 PM »
Nahlom.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2019, 01:43:36 PM »
Expand Quote
  Hes the best gnar dude out and a under rated skateboarder.
[close]
no.
  Fine.  I was pretty impressed with the part i saw.  Hes gapping out to that backside 5 -0 in the rain, thats the part i saw.  I just wanted to mention what i thought cause i didnt think what he did was worth a call out.  But after i thought about it seemed it was kinda fucked.   Up to clint to do the b face and its up to who ever wants to to call him out, to call him out if they choose -good on them.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2019, 01:45:43 PM »
When I was in elementary school, mid 80s, the school put on a play for black history month. For whatever reason they chose me to play George Washington Carver and the plan was to put me in black face. I was like 6 and was not part of the discussion. I objected and they were like nah you're wearing blackface, so you know what I did? I bailed on the whole thing and didn't go to school at all. Fuck Clint Walker.
I played Jesus Christ in a Sunday school play and my hotep twitter friends tell me he was black :(

Dernpop1

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2019, 01:47:31 PM »
Clint is a huge jerkoff. Good on Justin.
Shalom.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2019, 01:49:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

youre so right, i titled this thread as a form of click bait.  i should have made it, "skater guy calls out irrelevant ponytail skater on instagram like a man for halloween costume gone wrong."

not hating on you seymour or your post, I think it's legitimate to question this, talk about it, and ultimately for Clint to apologize. But I've noticed that the term blackface gets thrown around a lot these days, and people get polarized in ways that don't necessarily benefit anybody in the long run. The term blackface to me is like the term slavery: not somebody's opinion on how they feel about something, but a horrible, historically accurate fact. I think that it devalues the term in the long-term to use it in ways that disassociate it from the historical fact.
We're at a point in history where it's probably always stupid and insensitive for a white person to dress up as a black person, I agree

Get the strap

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2019, 02:03:59 PM »
@planman
Clint Walker has fucked up so many times and he's still working in the industry, what the fuck are we gonna do? I'm all for a major anti-racism movement in skateboarding. All the jobs I've had, there's an employee handbook you sign about workplace discrimination. I have no idea if skateboarders have anti discrimination clauses in their contracts since to my knowledge they're all private contractors. I've never had a private contractor job so I have no idea. I have no idea if skateboarders are at-will employees, they probably are I'm guessing. I'm for his termination and not a bro apology.

Get the strap

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2019, 02:09:31 PM »
Expand Quote
skaters back in the day didn't care much for dressing up on Halloween...If they did, the costume was definitely evident they skated or don't give a fuck...

[close]

Do you even skate? Or do you skate by yourself? Have never partook in a Halloween jam at your local? Maybe your scene is just shitty possibly? I'll give you the half assed costumes for sure but that's it.

Halloween hellride and events like it been around fore awhile man. You sleepin. And missing out on a really fun skateboard holiday.

You guys are such clout chasers on here...of course I've been involved in Halloween events. And I'm not telling you shit for clout. I'm talking about in the late 90's when I was in high school, no there were no local Halloween skateboard events when I was in high school 97-01. There were for you old man?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2019, 02:15:42 PM »
This made me a bigger Justin Henry fan, who was already one of my favorite ams in skating. Dude handled it like an adult, and not the typical man-child way we see on skaters social media's all too often.

How fucking dumb do you have to be to think of not only dressing in blackface but to post it to your social media in 2019 is not a completely moronic idea?

Surprised Clint hasn't kooked himself out of the industry, but then again, he's probably on board royalties and product flow. He wouldn't really be losing much. Although, if you are the biggest name in skateboarding like Tony Hawk, why would you want this moron potentially damaging your reputation with stupid shit like this.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2019, 02:17:00 PM »
I think he's a kook by taking Halloween that serious and posting his costume on social media. At least for me, skaters back in the day didn't care much for dressing up on Halloween...If they did, the costume was definitely evident they skated or don't give a fuck...They didn't really care about anything other than skating, mags, and vids...way more militant than today's standard.

It's still weird for me to see skaters in 2019 culturally behaving like people who don't skate. Even though most skaters having been acting like regular people for at least 15 years. Add that to the major ignorance of his costume, and he's a huge kook. I dont think he needs any attention either positive, negative, apology, group hugs, etc...just let him fade into obscurity.

Out of curiousity, how old are you and when did you start skating?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think he's a kook by taking Halloween that serious and posting his costume on social media. At least for me, skaters back in the day didn't care much for dressing up on Halloween...If they did, the costume was definitely evident they skated or don't give a fuck...They didn't really care about anything other than skating, mags, and vids...way more militant than today's standard.

It's still weird for me to see skaters in 2019 culturally behaving like people who don't skate. Even though most skaters having been acting like regular people for at least 15 years. Add that to the major ignorance of his costume, and he's a huge kook. I dont think he needs any attention either positive, negative, apology, group hugs, etc...just let him fade into obscurity.
[close]

what the fuck are you talking about?
[close]

Well I'm guilty of posting in a thread that I dislike the subject so much I don't have an opinion of it because
1. He's a kook for taking Halloween that serious
2. He's a kook for his costume
Conclusion: Huge Kook
I'm old school with calling people kooks. If I think you're a kook, I don't really have an opinion about you at all. Except go be a kook somewhere else, because I prefer to mind my own business and not deal with kooks.
His kookery and irrelevancy in my skate life is not worthy enough for me to move my lips or in this case use my fingers. So I'm blowing it by posting, but I felt like posting anyway because ironically for some reason something good in real life usually happens when I post, and I'm hoping for the best. Shalom

what the fuck are you talking about?

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2019, 02:24:13 PM »
Just out of curiosity, do you guys think it's ok for black people to paint their face white? Dave Chapelle did it throughout his show. Or do you think that there's no such thing as racism when it's directed towards white people? Clint should know better, you can't get away with shit these days but dude was just dressing up as a funny character.

ScudMantels

• Rep: -104
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2019, 02:25:07 PM »
I wished Clayton Bigsby was white because I always wanted to dress up as him for Halloween so badly most of my life. Being white sucks because you can't dress up as a black character but every other race can dress up as a white one.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »

Jamis Thomas dressing as The Muska for Halloween was lit af.

Clint in blackface is just as distasteful as Daryl Angel wearing a wife beater.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:29:12 PM by Matthew_James »
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

eraserheadfuckers

• Rep: 26
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »
not much better than JJ's apology. there's no apology for the action itself, no acknowledgement that it was racist, no effort to make it a teachable moment to explain why blackface is a form of white supremacy.

a true apology makes right. he's just repairing his image.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think it's ok for black people to paint their face white? Dave Chapelle did it throughout his show. Or do you think that there's no such thing as racism when it's directed towards white people? Clint should know better, you can't get away with shit these days but dude was just dressing up as a funny character.

feel like you're "just asking questions" but i'll reply anyway...

Blackface carry's with it the very real historical weight of slavery, jim crowe, de jour segregation, lynching, minstrel shows, and exists in the current political context that schools are more segregated in many cities today than they were in the 70's, that black americans make far less money on average than white americans, that black americans are far more likely to be the subject of police violence and the criminal justice system than white americans, and that black americans have less access to democratic processes via voter id laws and less voting booths in most areas.

"Whiteface" has none of that.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:44:34 PM by eraserheadfuckers »

baggy spandex

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2019, 02:41:28 PM »

There is no such thing as racism “when it’s directed towards white people.” White people can be discriminated against but that’s not the same thing as systemic historical oppression.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2019, 02:52:54 PM »
Shit.  I just saw that Will Smith is dressing up in blue face for the live action version of, "Aladdin." 

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2019, 02:53:17 PM »
B4 the late 90s /00s  WAY less adults did halloween.  It was those 'pimp ad ho' parties that turned halloween into an adult thing (over trick or treat age)

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2019, 02:54:37 PM »

TBH Clayton Bigsby is just a shitty Halloween costume to try to pull off as a white person, because the concept of Clayton Bigsby is a blind black man who is a white supremacist but doesn’t know that he’s black, so being a white person dressing like Clayton Bigsby without blackface, you just look like a typical white supremacist.

Good thing he didn’t wear the Klan robe without the facepaint.  :o

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2019, 02:58:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There is no such thing as racism “when it’s directed towards white people.” White people can be discriminated against but that’s not the same thing as systemic historical oppression.

You must live in a little bubble. I experienced some pretty brutal racism when I first moved to the US from black people. Racism is Racism.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2019, 02:59:15 PM »
B4 the late 90s /00s  WAY less adults did halloween.  It was those 'pimp ad ho' parties that turned halloween into an adult thing (over trick or treat age)

I'm not bullying you or whatever I just want to make sure at least a few more people see this.

eraserheadfuckers

• Rep: 26
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2019, 03:13:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You must live in a little bubble. I experienced some pretty brutal racism when I first moved to the US from black people. Racism is Racism.

you experienced prejudice by from individuals, not racism from the foundational institutions and mainstream society of our country.

black americans are 50% less likely to be unemployed than you are.
black americans are 50% less likely to get job interview callbacks.
black americans earn 25% less money when employed than you do.
black americans are 30% less likely to own a home than you are.
black americans are 200-300% more likely to suffer from hypertension than you are.

that is racism.
the idea that a black dude calling you honkey is the same as this is laughable. 

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2019, 03:16:02 PM »
it's fucked Justin Henry isn't pro and clint still is

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2019, 03:17:28 PM »
A friend of mine dressed in blackface and an afro for some random costume party and almost got the shit kicked out of him at a motorcycle bar until he explained it was just a costume and he's not actually black. Thought it was pretty funny but not funny at all at the same time

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2019, 03:22:39 PM »
it's fucked Justin Henry isn't pro and clint still is
  I dont know justin h but are you for real aboutvClint not being pro?  Wtf?

ScudMantels

• Rep: -104
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2019, 03:24:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

you experienced prejudice by from individuals, not racism from the foundational institutions and mainstream society of our country.

black americans are 50% less likely to be unemployed than you are.
black americans are 50% less likely to get job interview callbacks.
black americans earn 25% less money when employed than you do.
black americans are 30% less likely to own a home than you are.
black americans are 200-300% more likely to suffer from hypertension than you are.

that is racism.
the idea that a black dude calling you honkey is the same as this is laughable.

Just a heads up, black culture is a real thing and what you said has little to do with racism