Author Topic: Baker 4 coming in August  (Read 249529 times)

raz0rrat

Re: Baker 4 coming in August
« Reply #1710 on: November 25, 2019, 06:55:29 AM »
Was really hoping for an PC gay bird moment to show that time has passed

They went from a satirical "Gay Bird Moment" to a hour and 15 minute video that IS a gay bird moment.
They've become what they hate.

howtotictac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #1711 on: November 25, 2019, 07:00:45 AM »

They actually did it with Spanky catching that feather. At least that's how I interpreted it.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #1712 on: November 25, 2019, 07:05:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They actually did it with Spanky catching that feather. At least that's how I interpreted it.

It symbolized how "Gay Bird Moments" are fleeting. Once they go, they are gone forever, so cherish them while you still can.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1713 on: November 25, 2019, 07:18:34 AM »
Expand Quote
This thread can be read as Slap going through the bitter disappointment of aging, together grappling with mortality with every passing page.

Nothing gold can stay
[close]

All I’m reading in this thread:

“I am not 13 years old anymore and that makes me mad!”
"Why isn't there a gay bird moment and/or clips making light of homelessness in a 2019 skate video? Did Andrew Reynolds mature over the past fifteen years or something?"
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #1714 on: November 25, 2019, 07:28:45 AM »
Figgy for SOTY. Man's been robbed time and time again. Milton sorry bud you can wait.

EastKremer

• Rep: -63
« Reply #1715 on: November 25, 2019, 07:30:47 AM »
I watched the whole video twice and saying it’s subpar it’s not very accurate.
Kader and Tfunk have double parts and have been dropping footage to their other sponsors while filming for Baker and they still have many bangers.
Dollin is a beast, Herman too and The boss even more.
Sparky is a ledge wizard and still did some gnarly tricks.
Baca part was amazing.
Riley did some grabs but you shall forgive him as the son of god he is.
Jacopo killed it.
Tyson is a real g, you better watch his interview with Andy roy.
Zach Allen’s part maybe a bit short but still sick.
Theotis did his thing.
Rowan dropped two parts this year too and both very sick.
Figgy skated spots than most of us won’t even look at plus he made one of the sickest fs salads ever.
You all ask for too much, please lower your expectations a bit.
It is a very good video.
The only thing I miss was some Antwuan’s footage, I don’t care how stupid is Ellington. Make peace and forget. Baker made profit of Dixon image and also he should know better sometimes.
He seems on a better path now, why not giving him a spot on the friends section at least.
Shalom and sorry if my grammar sucks like some of Strobeck’s zoom games

Ocelot

« Reply #1716 on: November 25, 2019, 07:48:42 AM »
I honestly think most of the dudes here don't get the video, it's okay the majority here shot their load over verso anyway

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1224
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1717 on: November 25, 2019, 08:06:40 AM »
Just watched it. On the whole, have to say I was disappointed. The old dudes were old, which is to be expected. The young dudes were good but not good enough; I feel like I’ve seen so much Kader hype for the past five years that once he put out a proper part, I’d see the second coming of Ishod. Not that he was bad, just not what I felt like I was promised. (I do love Rowan though...felt like he threw his part together in two weeks, but fuck, that kid is so fluid...please, kick the booze and just TRY).

And wtf...enough with strobeck zoom. I’m so sick of seeing slo-mo adolescent acne only to be rewarded with a shitty flat ground front shuv. I get that the 90s are back, but fuck, if the people want slo-mo acne, plus bad fits and wack tricks, I have plenty of stills/footage from the ACTUAL 90s that took me straight to loserville if I was lucky and on a bad day, it handed me an ass beating.

Last comment, I’ve always hated Dustin—hate the image, hate the pissdrunkx cringey nonsense. But honestly, I loved his part. Amazing song choice and just the whole part captured an end of the line Dollin, which made me appreciate him in a whole new light. Easily the most “moving” part I’ve seen since maybe Jerry’s Stay Gold...but better. It was on some No Country for Old Men type shit. Loved it...and now I hope he finds what he’s looking for.
hes literally only been in the public eye for like 3 and a half years at most.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #1718 on: November 25, 2019, 08:09:40 AM »
I’m impressed that it seems the majority of people here didn’t like it. I thought it was really good. I liked it a lot. Baca rules. I thought a lot of the music was good.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1719 on: November 25, 2019, 08:14:57 AM »
Wow. T Funk got my hairs on end.

That kid skates exactly like we did after the urethane crisis was over.

Needs a high switch pressure flip late 180 aka the suburb bird
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1720 on: November 25, 2019, 08:22:39 AM »
To people saying instant classic help me out. I want to like this video because I love Baker... but the footage is subpar. Compare it to Encore that they only worked on for a year and it’s not even close skating wise

are baker 2 and 3 consider classics because of the tricks? if that's the case then why isn't fully flared a classic.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #1721 on: November 25, 2019, 08:29:49 AM »
i lost my shit on baca's 2x redemption ender

should have been last part

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #1722 on: November 25, 2019, 08:34:10 AM »
Expand Quote
To people saying instant classic help me out. I want to like this video because I love Baker... but the footage is subpar. Compare it to Encore that they only worked on for a year and it’s not even close skating wise
[close]

are baker 2 and 3 consider classics because of the tricks? if that's the case then why isn't fully flared a classic.
I've still only watched Tiago, I just can't get myself to care about Primitive at all.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #1723 on: November 25, 2019, 08:35:06 AM »
I get that fashion is a personal expression of one's style and taste, but damn, almost everyone in this video needs to learn at least the basics of how to put together a decent outfit; that shit matters.

And everyone's skateboards look terrible. I don't care how amazing your tricks are, if your board looks like a turd and you're dressed like an idiot, your tricks don't matter one bit.

Skaters these days are not being given a hard time about wack fashion choices and it shows.
Spanky was in this video you dumb bitch.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #1724 on: November 25, 2019, 08:35:57 AM »
Remember everyone talking shit on Baca like a month ago. How he can’t skate for shit? He fucking ripped and was one of my favorite parts.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #1725 on: November 25, 2019, 08:36:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fully flared is a bonafide classic. Who the fuck is saying different let alone debating it??

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #1726 on: November 25, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
The only thing I miss was some Antwuan’s footage, I don’t care how stupid is Ellington. Make peace and forget. Baker made profit of Dixon image and also he should know better sometimes.
He seems on a better path now, why not giving him a spot on the friends section at least.

explain

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -423
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1727 on: November 25, 2019, 09:16:08 AM »
Expand Quote
I really enjoyed that. surprised how much i enjoyed Theo's footage
the Boss' back 3 over that grass gap got my hyped.
Herman is still sick AF
Dollin still goes for it, sick to see. mortals would have retired to curbs and mni ramp long ago.

imma watch ths again in a couple days and see how it goes down the 2nd time.

Tfunks arms are just rediculous. cant back that kid at all, tbh i could do without any of the new kids.
Expand Quote
Every clip of an OG felt like a send-of.

[close]

Yeah I thought that too! definitely had an underlying vibe of a final hoorah before driving off into the sunset.
 but Baker 3 was everything when i was a teen so maybe thats projection?

I think this might be a generational thing. it would be interesting to see the ages of those who liked and disliked this vid.
[close]
That's a super interesting idea.
Should we try it in a simple way? Just liked it/hated it and the age?
Hate it/34yo

Didn't  hate or love it either. It was okay i mean i guess expectations  were sky high. 33 years old here.

Neil

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1728 on: November 25, 2019, 09:28:09 AM »
In addition to the sick skating, the video was sweet, sappy, and sentimental. Lots of footage of people's pets, SO's, kids, bro footage of the filmers and hypemen, and doing the "Boyhood" treatment to Kader growing up and filling into his style. Andrew has footage sprinkled throughout, like he's an elderstatesman looking over everyone. It's a mature Baker for the 30's set, like the company aged along with the skaters it influenced.

Pavs323

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1729 on: November 25, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

explain

Ellington only gave Antwuan 9 second chances to get his shit together. He should have given him 10.

But seriously, I can’t understand the hatred some people have towards Ellington regarding the fallout of the Antwuan situation. After time and time again of Antwuan screwing up, it’s just not worth the mental exhaustion for somebody like Ellington to keep giving him another chance. I get that early on with Deathwish they probably shouldn’t have tried to market that the guy was such a jackass with some of those graphics, but that is still a weak excuse for most of the shit Antwuan has done.
I don’t really agree he’s on a better path either, wasn’t there a new video of him smoking crack just months ago?

Bobbybanana

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1730 on: November 25, 2019, 09:46:47 AM »
I could see this film being played in zumiez comfortably.
Hangin' with a cool bunch

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #1731 on: November 25, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
I thought this was a really nice send off for the older dudes. I got sentimental watching it and will probably rewatch it a bunch.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

hashbrowns

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1732 on: November 25, 2019, 09:57:26 AM »
wow dudes really in here saying the boss edited it like a supreme video to dissuade kader from leaving

Between the slo-mo and zooms it looked very Strobeck 

n0torious

• Rep: 153
« Reply #1733 on: November 25, 2019, 10:03:07 AM »
People feel a strong emotional connection to this company, and Baker 3, which shapes a lot of these severe reactions. This was a good video and everyone should calm down.

Baker 4 is what Pretty Sweet wanted to be - a passing of the torch between team generations, the younger riders carrying the load, but plenty of good footage from the vets.

I loved the street scenes in the older videos, but still glad they lost them for this. Filming homeless people as entertainment sucks - reduces them to a joke. Strobeck doesn't get that but Andrew does.

Baca owned this video. Always enjoyed the clips he'd put out, but this did so much more to capture him. Incredible part.

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #1734 on: November 25, 2019, 10:03:41 AM »
is felix soto's angle of herman's nollie inward heel the worst ever filming of a trick in skateboarding history? it's gotta be up there.

also literally all the sf footage was filmed 2 weeks ago

You guys just don't understand the artistic vision. It's not about the trick, it's about the stairs and what they represent, maaaaan.

That said, I enjoyed it (eternal thanks to the Pals for the links) even if it easily could've been 20 minutes shorter.
The more I see of Kader, the less I like him.
I'm a T-Funk hater (fake surf hands) but his part was awesome, maybe even my favorite.
Baca's was great, Dollin's was sad, actually enjoyed Tyson's part.
Elissa still has the best style of any female out there.
Figgy is Figgy, I'm just desensitized to his rail stunts.
Riley, stop with the fingerflips, please.
Rowan is sick, seemed like his throwaway footage for the most part, though.
Seemed like Reynolds' retirement video.
Any Herman is a gift.
Never show me Zach Allen or Theotis again, thanks.
Never paid attention to Jacopo before, he's super sick. Reminds me of earlier Cory Kennedy

Sorry, just had a coffee for the first time in a week.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:07:31 AM by Christmas Complete »
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

dpelevator

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1735 on: November 25, 2019, 10:04:27 AM »
I thought it felt a lot like Baker 3. I wonder if videos seem worse now and don't seem to "capture the feeling" because you are watching them alone on a laptop (or god forbid iPhone) screen rather than on a TV with all your friends. Baker hasn't changed, you've changed... man.

Sunflowerseeds

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1736 on: November 25, 2019, 10:20:36 AM »
I'm Baker obsessed and I hated most of it. Kafer is (was?) an awesome skater but not a single trick worth it in his part. a nollie BS flip down an 9 stair as his ender?! Jim greco did that in Baker 3 down Hollywood 12 twice back to back. Someone said he didnt deserve to skate to shine a light and thats dead on. Footys gotta match the song

No one pointed out how HD ruined this vid. New baker feel I guess, generic.

And its not about the quality. Its the fact that on VX beagle kept every tape of footage shot every day, where with HD he deletes what he doesnt need at the end of the day. Leaving only skate footy for the video.

Maybe I will learn to love it but I will assume Bake and Destroy was Baker 4. This feels like it was filmed in the past year. Why did they rush this out. Id rather have it take 12 years amd be good than this.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:26:49 AM by Sunflowerseeds »

dr. radishh

• Rep: 77
« Reply #1737 on: November 25, 2019, 10:21:40 AM »

MareVitals

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1738 on: November 25, 2019, 10:32:38 AM »
I thought it felt a lot like Baker 3. I wonder if videos seem worse now and don't seem to "capture the feeling" because you are watching them alone on a laptop (or god forbid iPhone) screen rather than on a TV with all your friends. Baker hasn't changed, you've changed... man.

You may have watched it alone on a laptop but that doesn't mean we all did. I'm not bummed on the video. It's been 14 years since baker 3, we can't expect the magic to be recreated. Besides the editing and filming, was the skating as good/groundbreaking as Baker 3? No.

Rohn_mob_joore

• Rep: -24
« Reply #1739 on: November 25, 2019, 10:32:55 AM »
Baca and Figgy killed it in this video. It seemed all Reynolds footy was recent since he was wearing vans seemingly every clip. Always enjoyable watching him skate even though he’s not jumping down 15 stairs anymore.

Best part of vid was Dollin passed out in that field. Worst part was Theotis’ hijinx, it worked with TK... I cringed at the 20k my neck flex.