Author Topic: Baker 4 coming in August  (Read 249472 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Baker 4 coming in August
« Reply #1740 on: November 25, 2019, 10:33:31 AM »
Expand Quote
is felix soto's angle of herman's nollie inward heel the worst ever filming of a trick in skateboarding history? it's gotta be up there.

also literally all the sf footage was filmed 2 weeks ago
[close]

You guys just don't understand the artistic vision. It's not about the trick, it's about the stairs and what they represent, maaaaan.

That said, I enjoyed it (eternal thanks to the Pals for the links) even if it easily could've been 20 minutes shorter.
The more I see of Kader, the less I like him.
I'm a T-Funk hater (fake surf hands) but his part was awesome, maybe even my favorite.
Baca's was great, Dollin's was sad, actually enjoyed Tyson's part.
Elissa still has the best style of any female out there.
Figgy is Figgy, I'm just desensitized to his rail stunts.
Riley, stop with the fingerflips, please.

Rowan is sick, seemed like his throwaway footage for the most part, though.
Seemed like Reynolds' retirement video.
Any Herman is a gift.
Never show me Zach Allen or Theotis again, thanks.
Never paid attention to Jacopo before, he's super sick. Reminds me of earlier Cory Kennedy

Sorry, just had a coffee for the first time in a week.
Speaking the truth in there.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mario2331

« Reply #1741 on: November 25, 2019, 10:38:04 AM »
Sorry to say it,but doesnt feel like any other baker video that was made,the parts I really enjoyed are Bherm and Sammy Baca,I miss the old baker videos style

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #1742 on: November 25, 2019, 10:43:17 AM »
Geez, people do realize that Baker 3 came out 14 years ago right? Different team, different vibes, different ways the public consumes media.

Not only is Reynold's worldview different now with a teenage daughter, the Skateboarding community is different. It went from 90% latch key kid in the 90's to about 50% in mid 00s to about 15% now. So your young dudes aren't going to be into the heavy drinking and drugs as much and are more into wrestling and play fighting, it is what it is.

Video could've used more 3-6 though, can't front.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:52:59 AM by Lenny the Fatface »

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1743 on: November 25, 2019, 10:44:28 AM »
I could do without the Strobeck-style filming. Literally everyone bites it nowerdays and it gets old af.
Leave it to fat bill, i personally prefer baker footage from Beagle with the VX + MK1 combo, but i also understand the transition from SD to HD

Just please stop the Strobeck style filming, i've seen too many clips where i can hardly tell what the obstacle even is because i'm only seeing the skater's feet
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:56:16 AM by sus »

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -734
  • My daughter is my world.
« Reply #1744 on: November 25, 2019, 11:14:10 AM »
Too much footage of roll aways and random flat ground tricks after the main trick has been landed, I think overall the video would have been a lot better if it was shorter, too much forgettable footage, highlights were the the SF footage and Baca’s part.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

dpelevator

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1745 on: November 25, 2019, 11:30:29 AM »
Expand Quote
I thought it felt a lot like Baker 3. I wonder if videos seem worse now and don't seem to "capture the feeling" because you are watching them alone on a laptop (or god forbid iPhone) screen rather than on a TV with all your friends. Baker hasn't changed, you've changed... man.
[close]

You may have watched it alone on a laptop but that doesn't mean we all did. I'm not bummed on the video. It's been 14 years since baker 3, we can't expect the magic to be recreated. Besides the editing and filming, was the skating as good/groundbreaking as Baker 3? No.

I didn't. Watched it on a TV and enjoyed it. Was just offering a theory as to why people felt the vibe seemed so different when it seemed like classic Baker to me.

As far as groundbreaking skating argument you made (which wasnt what I was speaking to in my post you quoted), I think I am also going to blame the digital revolution, because I'm a luddite. When Baker 3 came out we weren't inundated with insta clips and individual parts like Verso and DEMOLICION! There were maybe 3 videos a year and they wouldn't even necessarily feature the same styles of skating. Competition is so high that to expect an entire full length skate video to be ground breaking is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I didn't like every part in Baker 4, but I didn't like every part in Baker 3 either. I think for the most part it was great skating, edited together like a Baker video and I think if this video didn't come out in the single part/insta clip era more people would feel the same way.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #1746 on: November 25, 2019, 11:35:28 AM »
We should all probably stipulate that Figgy's part is fucking sick. 

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1747 on: November 25, 2019, 11:51:15 AM »
Shalom to Slap for the hook up on the baker 4 video

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #1748 on: November 25, 2019, 12:08:48 PM »
It was good but it definitely lacked the signature Baker video feel. Do any of the new kids even hang out with each other outside of filming sessions? I could be wrong as I don't keep up with the magazines and shit, but it seems like the newer team is segmented.

It was a good watch but I don't think this video will fall under the "classics" category like 2g and 3. Only time will tell I guess.

Figgy is gnarly but I don't get anything out of watching him skate. Same with Baca.

I thought Rowan far and away had the best part. Spanky was surprisingly good.

My thoughts exactly Rowan and Spanky had the best parts and the ones i'll watch repeatedly.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #1749 on: November 25, 2019, 12:11:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Worst fits and hair maybe ever. Never go full white guy with dreads
[close]
Tyson is mixed, that’s his natural hair

touche, my bad.

Secomprancolchones

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1750 on: November 25, 2019, 12:12:18 PM »
Bit too much expectation for this movie. Like it but Baker 3 legendary vibes are killing opinions... so sad for those who couldn’t enjoy this one. Rowan and TFUNK skating ain’t something you could find somewhere else. Didn’t felt so baked with the filming but definitely has some shots.

shalominator

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1751 on: November 25, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »
I had pretty high expectations for the video and can say I was pretty disappointed. I feel like this is going to lower the bar for Baker as a brand.

ralf_

• Rep: -36
  • yo
« Reply #1752 on: November 25, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
unforgettable video.
andrew reynolds loves his friends & i do, too.

kaders ender isnt an ender but more like a suciu-esk "i am skating away to even do more cool stuff", cuz there is gonna be a lot of kader in the future. when ive seen his part(s) i went like : dude is killing it, hopefully he turns pro one day. LOL

dustin part: really out there, really makes you think of ... hm.. time passing or whatever.

jacopos section is a pleasure, stoked for him & them.

t funk & rowan are rockstars.

tysons got great style.

zach... hm, nothing much but hes got that awarness of "im on the board" that a lot of the other guys esp. tfunk & rowan have. like rolling done a curb but last splitsecond deciding to lade 180 revert.

cute to see stevie p a couple of times.
over all video vibe is a lot of "where have they been all that time?" and showing some chocolate loser helps.

spanky "its too hard to get good stuff" long is a true champ, kinda greco gentleman skateboarding though not as pretentious. ..

herms song and the sk8ing matched quite good,
yo, could reynolds if only startin his career now just be a regular "turn him pro!"- non pro on 917? really feels like it.

stella has a trick.
elissa can do it all! what a goat.

riley... well its a great story & NIRVANA & hardfrlip nosegrab & SHORT PART... so, ok.

no tk BUT tb (the butt).. the boxers, the shitty pushes: makes sense he skates with shane (fun fact: had a shared part with another shane in debacle which already made that cool shane o part suck)... there are howere (two?) cool clips in there, at the end, who looked most recent.

ellingtono tricko!

"damn sammy no" baca killing it with being the obvious "what have they been up to" entry. we really dont have a clue what he can do on a board. taking all nuge but really wasnt nothing.

beagle is a good skater & fun to watch.

no jerry :(((((

was glad to see provost & dickson in figgys part.
fun fun fun

silvertone_spacemachine

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1753 on: November 25, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »
I really liked it.
Music was good and the young guys killed it and I liked how many of the older dudes had parts.

Agreed.

Also, someone mentioned Kader not getting on stage with the rest of the team, what's up with that?

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1754 on: November 25, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »
I'm Baker obsessed and I hated most of it. Kafer is (was?) an awesome skater but not a single trick worth it in his part. a nollie BS flip down an 9 stair as his ender?! Jim greco did that in Baker 3 down Hollywood 12 twice back to back. Someone said he didnt deserve to skate to shine a light and thats dead on. Footys gotta match the song

No one pointed out how HD ruined this vid. New baker feel I guess, generic.

And its not about the quality. Its the fact that on VX beagle kept every tape of footage shot every day, where with HD he deletes what he doesnt need at the end of the day. Leaving only skate footy for the video.

Maybe I will learn to love it but I will assume Bake and Destroy was Baker 4. This feels like it was filmed in the past year. Why did they rush this out. Id rather have it take 12 years amd be good than this.

Your spot on about HD ruining the baker vibe in more ways than one, big tricks looked tiny, and beagle behind long lens just means the only bro footage he keeps is the post trick celebration (aka the supreme edit), slows the pace down.

But all the overhype, change of team and new tech cant excuse the fact that the majority of this footage was filmed quite recently, that shows most the team have snoozed on this vid for the last decade / only got off their asses at the 11th hour. Why should we respect a video that the team themselves barely gave a fuck about. U could see it coming in all the interviews over the last 10 years, when asked about Baker 4 theyd often smirk or laugh and say 'yeh it will be a while yet'

silvertone_spacemachine

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1755 on: November 25, 2019, 12:58:09 PM »
Neckface went on a diet and went out on every filming mission every day for one single trick. That made me laugh.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #1756 on: November 25, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »
Pleasantly surprised by Dollin having a part. Dude has close to zero board control left, but still goes for it. Slow edit didn't work at all though. Was he seriously doing that shit where someone pushes on your chest so that you get a small ''high'' and then faint. Kids do that shit in elementary school, probably the dumbest thing I've seen from him.

Baca had a sick part, thought he didn't even skate anymore. Shuvit out of the noseslide was sick when he struggled to even get on that thing

Newer guys didn't do much for me aside from Rowan. Thought they would've gone harder for this.

How does Theotis still have money?

Always a bit anti-climatic to end the video with a trick that's already been published in a mag.

Expected a bit more but overall I enjoyed this and the music was good

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1757 on: November 25, 2019, 01:17:52 PM »
i enjoyed it. it’s not as good as baker 3 but, i wasn’t expecting it to be. you’re a fool if you were. you can’t expect this video to be on par with a video that had full parts from reynolds, ellington, herman and dollin in their absolute prime, along with a surprise part from a guy nobody had ever even heard of (antwuan) that got more screams and applause than anything/anyone else at the premiere. baker 3 is the hardest video you could possibly try to follow up because, it’s that fucking good still to this day and absolutely timeless. it’s like if the rolling stones hadn’t dropped an album since exile on main street and then they come out with a new album today and everyone is pissed that it’s not as good as the last one. it’s impossible! the video is good and i honestly enjoyed it a lot more than the new zero/toy videos. look at extremely sorry compared to sorry. they still had pretty much the same team and had literally half the amount of a time gap in between those 2 videos as baker did with this one (7 years as opposed to 14) and the video was no where near as good as the first one. once again, hard shoes to fill being that sorry is also one of the best videos ever but, at least baker 4 didn’t completely blow it soundtrack, edit wise. i have watched the video a few times since downloading it and i’m stoked on it. i understand that it took along time and we’ve been waiting for quite a while for it to drop but, i do not consider it a complete let down/disappointment. the biggest let downs of the video for me is nuge not having shit for footage and the ender being the cover. those are my two complaints. quit dropping people’s ender enders on the cover of the fucking mag right before the video drops. seriously hate that. other than that, it’s a good video and nobody would be hating on it if it wasn’t following up one of the best skate videos ever made.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #1758 on: November 25, 2019, 01:21:46 PM »
Edit: shouldn’t posted similar sentiments right above while I was typing this, but I’ll leave my thoughts here anyways.

Watching this, I too was hoping for classic Baker 3 vibes. But about halfway through I realized I can’t expect to see Stevie Williams give a major shoutout to Dustin Dollin, I can’t expect a six minute epic Reynolds part, a career defining, breakout Antwuan part, or the same type of hijinx that magically occurred in earlier Baker videos. Fifteen years later, the team has grown and the new guys weren’t there before. Baker 3 will exist forever, maybe people forget those amazing moments still happened and aren’t any less real. The old videos are always there for us to enjoy.

Baker 4 didn’t NEED to come out, but it did, and I’m glad. Everything can get criticism and that’s fine but sadly we can’t expect the same vibe to be repeated in 2019. The new vibe is still good, minus a few criticisms we all have, myself included.

TLDR; it’s not just like an old baker video but that’s okay because the other videos will always be there. Theotis’ part for sure could have been cut though!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 01:27:31 PM by Pappy Jones »

Mongoloid

« Reply #1759 on: November 25, 2019, 01:34:46 PM »
I don’t give a single fuck about Figgy, Dude skates in a fashion of a bygone era.

Loved Tfunk’s part.

I’m indifferent to the majority of this video.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #1760 on: November 25, 2019, 01:37:53 PM »
Was there any T Funk el toro clip?

Damn, forgot about that

No not even close
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Yu Dum

« Reply #1761 on: November 25, 2019, 01:42:34 PM »
Honestly, this is the best Baker video I've seen in a very long time. Great skating (aside from Zach Allen and Riley), some very heartfelt moments from the OGs and their footage.

Also, why's everyone trying to discredit Kader's ender? Have any of you ever nollie backside flipped anything?? That trick is ridiculously difficult to flick properly, let alone control down a decent sized gap or set.
Herman's part damn near brought me to tears. Half because of the skating. Other half because I know this is the last time we'll ever see him "trying."

5inchDick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1762 on: November 25, 2019, 01:52:20 PM »
SOME OF THESE REVIEWS ARE FUCKIN WEIRD AS FUCK

YOUNG HAWKS PART WAS PRETTY FUCKIN COOL MAN , IN CONTRAST TO SOME OF THE OTHER SHIT IN THE VIDEO

IT WAS A VERY SLOW AND SAD VIDEO IT WAS ALMOST LIKE A LIVING OBITUARY AND YOURE WATCHING GHOSTS

THE KID FROM ITALY FUCKING RIPS

THE ZACK DUDE OK, I 1000% AGREE WITH ALL ON THAT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND MUST BE SOME POLITICS

KADER I WAS NOT INTO IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM

SAMMY BACA WAS SKATING LIKE HE HAS ABOUT 40 FAMILY MEMBERS HE TAKES CARE OF

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1763 on: November 25, 2019, 01:57:00 PM »
I want to read stans review.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #1764 on: November 25, 2019, 02:07:10 PM »
watching so cal dudes skate nyc spots will never not be funny. besides that this video definitely has a high replay value. you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

soap_angel

« Reply #1765 on: November 25, 2019, 02:09:51 PM »
That video was sick as fuck!!! You guys talking shit sound like a bunch of idiots. Thanks for the link, nerds.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #1766 on: November 25, 2019, 02:40:53 PM »

Also, why's everyone trying to discredit Kader's ender? Have any of you ever nollie backside flipped anything??
Not trying to self promo on here but I can PM you one of my parts that has one down a nine stair.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 03:03:06 PM by Craig Lutzka »

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1767 on: November 25, 2019, 02:43:15 PM »
Expand Quote

Also, why's everyone trying to discredit Kader's ender? Have any of you ever nollie backside flipped anything??
[close]
Not trying to self promo on here but I can PM you one of my parts that has one down a nine stair. It’s in the middle.

maybe craig could've had first part

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #1768 on: November 25, 2019, 02:45:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Not trying to self promo on here but I can PM you one of my parts that has one down a nine stair. It’s in the middle.

Could I get you to autograph my Camry?
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

WPG

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1769 on: November 25, 2019, 02:47:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Send it my way Craig. I am intrigued
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks