Author Topic: Saving Crailtap  (Read 51583 times)

Chanel West Coast

Re: Saving Crailtap
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2019, 08:34:56 PM »

this is weird looking skate mental board

Merlin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -52
« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2019, 08:36:22 PM »
What about getting some newer guys in the mix? Lot of older guys not putting out a lot of content, and other than Simon and Manchild, whos getting people excited from crailtap?

Um, maybe a guy named griffin gass???

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2019, 09:15:57 PM »

Funny thing is I'm not the only one who's stated they have no social media presence.

I feel Rick, Carroll and probably a couple more I'm forgetting are still trying to milk their careers because of how well Girl did in the past two decades. Like yeah man those videos were great but the Crailtap camp doesn't seem to be as appealing to kids today now like they did in the 90s and into the 2000s. And it seems like they're holding onto it.

There's also this part of me that feels no one cares. Like as if Crailtap is a joke.

I'm not talking about if Rickk & Mike should have boards or not or if their wood or videos are up to stratch.

I'm specifically addressing your point as to them not having a social media presence, they do and its one of the largest of board brands, this isn't up for debate, the numbers are public.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:17:56 PM by andocom »

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2019, 09:17:13 PM »
I'd say the turning point for alot of people was when they were acquired by Altamont Capital. That brought about the mass exodus, as it should.

When you take money from investment firms, they get a say in how the company is run and seats on the board. The Crail owners got a big chunk of cash all at once, and I can totally understand why they'd take the money. Odd's are they also have retention contracts where they get another big chunk of money if they stick around for a few years, so the long-time customers don't get scared away.

Once it's no longer skater-owned, things are going to taper off, as they have. At this point, I'd agree that no one cares. (also see HUF).

Last I heard Crail isn't owned by Altamont Capital, neither is Huf I think

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2019, 09:20:25 PM »
At the end of the day, skateboarding is built off the riders of the company. That’s all that matters. Crail has enough respect where they could easily make power moves, like Crail isn’t distinguished enough anymore for current pros in free agency right? Like Crail is like the spurs, they need to farm guys and win big, and use the leverage of Carroll and rick to flex on people. Problem is I’m im sure their cash flow is super limited. Like they need to bring up idk 10-12 more kids on both chocolate and girl real fucking quick. The modern team needs like 8-10 riders to really have an identity. If Crail could put out a new video with basically all new riders who fully looked like old girl but with modern enhancements it could work. Antonio Durao, miles silvas, some of the dudes on DGK over the past 5 years on chocolate, really doing nothing with the kid in the gx1000 video I can’t remember the name of rn but who’s absurd and should have better marketing from Crail so I could remember his fucking name because he’s a fucking baller.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #215 on: April 29, 2019, 04:49:25 AM »
Just a reminder that the most noteworthy thing Crailtap's done in 2019 is joke that a talented, popular skater was on the brand, because the punchline is he's too good for them.

Let it die.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Ocelot

« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2019, 05:38:28 AM »
Just a reminder that the most noteworthy thing Crailtap's done in 2019 is joke that a talented, popular skater was on the brand, because the punchline is he's too good for them.

Let it die.

hahaha, I never thought of it that way

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #217 on: April 29, 2019, 05:41:42 AM »
Just a reminder that the most noteworthy thing Crailtap's done in the last decade is joke that a talented, popular skater was on the brand, because the punchline is he's too good for them.

Let it die.

ftfy

RonBurgundy

• Rep: -40
  • from a whale's vagina
« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2019, 06:08:15 AM »
Crail riders worth still building around
Girl: Bennett, Pacheco, Bannerot, Gass, Kennedy (when the time is right), Brophy, Malto
Chocolate: Capps, Perez, Tershy, Cruz, Alvarez, Kenny*
** means they're older and could perhaps be apart of my next segment....

The rest of the riders (Caroll, Howard, Biebel, Wilson, Capaldi, McCrank, Fernandez, Roberts, Eldridge)
These riders could hypothetically create a third brand simply called "Crail" and this brand would be the Anti Hero/OG sector if you will.
This way they're still in the family but under a different name and can still skate Girl/Chocolate decks or DLX decks like some of them secretly do.

been done, http://www.crailtrucks.com/en/

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2019, 07:41:24 AM »
Don't worry guys, Chocolate is selling bicycles now. That'll sort everything out.

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2019, 07:45:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Crail riders worth still building around
Girl: Bennett, Pacheco, Bannerot, Gass, Kennedy (when the time is right), Brophy, Malto
Chocolate: Capps, Perez, Tershy, Cruz, Alvarez, Kenny*
** means they're older and could perhaps be apart of my next segment....

The rest of the riders (Caroll, Howard, Biebel, Wilson, Capaldi, McCrank, Fernandez, Roberts, Eldridge)
These riders could hypothetically create a third brand simply called "Crail" and this brand would be the Anti Hero/OG sector if you will.
This way they're still in the family but under a different name and can still skate Girl/Chocolate decks or DLX decks like some of them secretly do.
[close]

been done, http://www.crailtrucks.com/en/

i know crail trucks... didn't know they were still around tho lol. but my point kinda remains valid they need to just wax of the OG's that don't skate anymore

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2019, 07:58:12 AM »

D10S

• Rep: -53
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2019, 09:50:19 AM »
Poetic justice: Bennett, Pacheco, Bannerot, Gass quit and start their own company.

SadandLonely

• Rep: -30
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »
Does CrailTap really need saving? I heard the wood is now ps.stix

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1293
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2019, 10:41:07 AM »
Its sad to say but Crail just got really unlucky with a batch of their pros from last generation. Alex got burnt out, Malto had that huge ankle explosion, Mike Mo got seriously injured, Cory had the tragic accident, Elijah left for the cool kids, etc. Not to mention whatever behind the scenes stuff that made Koston, Guy, and Marc leave. The new guys are awesome but there was a gap in between them getting on and the exodus where it was pretty dormant. Wished they had the new wood the whole time because they sold such a cheap product for the longest that I just avoided it out of resentment.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:43:33 AM by camel filters »

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2019, 10:45:41 AM »
Expand Quote
I'd say the turning point for alot of people was when they were acquired by Altamont Capital. That brought about the mass exodus, as it should.

When you take money from investment firms, they get a say in how the company is run and seats on the board. The Crail owners got a big chunk of cash all at once, and I can totally understand why they'd take the money. Odd's are they also have retention contracts where they get another big chunk of money if they stick around for a few years, so the long-time customers don't get scared away.

Once it's no longer skater-owned, things are going to taper off, as they have. At this point, I'd agree that no one cares. (also see HUF).
[close]

Last I heard Crail isn't owned by Altamont Capital, neither is Huf I think

they're both owned by this japanese nonsense

https://www.tsi-holdings.com/index_e.html
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #226 on: April 29, 2019, 10:46:22 AM »
What ever happened to Daniel Espinoza
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #227 on: April 29, 2019, 10:59:35 AM »
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

huggs

• Rep: -16
« Reply #228 on: April 29, 2019, 12:51:17 PM »
for whatever reason this entire decade - including the lead up to "pretty sweet" and especially the 7 years after - slap has beaten this subject to death. it's really boring. every company has good & bad graphics or team decisions (for every ribeiro, silvas or durao, there are 10x more flow dudes who went nowhere), misfires in videos, ads, messaging, product quality, etc. for a long time crail were the #1 brand, but they were never edgy – just sort of a balance between cutting edge skating & video making, and with the coolest team. they're still one of the top 5 or 6 companies in sales/shop relationships/media presence, but they don't have the coolest team or most anticipated videos anymore. stop taking it personally, ok? let it go

which leaves the question of if you'll support a girl team of manchild, niels, griffin, simon, breana (+ malto, rick, rickk & mc), and chocolate w/ stevie, vincent, yonnie, capps, hakeem, nile, carl, hosea (+ raven, kenny & jesus). i posted carl's first part last fall and literally not one person commented on it, to now where ppl are clamoring for him to be added officially, shows how quickly new riders can change ppl's opinion on a team/brand. same went for "doll", griffin's part blew everyone away unexpectedly. ie girl & chocolate are not doomed. not everything is hunky dory over there either, there's been some bad luck & there have been a lot of departures – both on board and behind the scenes. but like, let's take the microscope off torrance for 3 seconds

last: crail bought themselves out of altamont almost right away, like within a year, leaving lakai behind. they took that deal to get a cash injection to help balance their books because of lakai debt – not girl & chocolate. it may have lead to the breakdown of a couple long relationships with ppl who expected equity (guy, eric) – who knows? so crail no longer own lakai, as others have pointed out above. it's owned by tsi, run by huf, with direction from crail. huf decided to pull their footwear, and not lakai's, meaning lakai is working as a niche action sports shoe company – at least for the time being. ok?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:16:02 PM by huggs »

huggs

• Rep: -16
« Reply #229 on: April 29, 2019, 12:53:44 PM »
also this:

Its sad to say but Crail just got really unlucky with a batch of their pros from last generation. Alex got burnt out, Malto had that huge ankle explosion, Mike Mo got seriously injured, Cory had the tragic accident, Elijah left for the cool kids, etc. Not to mention whatever behind the scenes stuff that made Koston, Guy, and Marc leave. The new guys are awesome but there was a gap in between them getting on and the exodus where it was pretty dormant. Wished they had the new wood the whole time because they sold such a cheap product for the longest that I just avoided it out of resentment.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:42:06 PM by huggs »

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #230 on: April 29, 2019, 01:12:59 PM »
i think most board companies need saving these days and it all comes down to us as the consumers to buy pro product.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Skateboarder X

« Reply #231 on: April 29, 2019, 01:56:28 PM »
Put Louie Lopez on Chocolate and put Ishod on FA instead.

A.J.K.

« Reply #232 on: April 29, 2019, 02:29:37 PM »
which leaves the question of if you'll support a girl team of manchild, niels, griffin, simon, breana (+ malto, rick, rickk & mc), and chocolate w/ stevie, vincent, yonnie, capps, hakeem, carl, hosea (+ raven, kenny & jesus). i posted carl's first part last fall and literally not one person commented on it, to now where ppl are clamoring for him to be added officially, shows how quickly new riders can change ppl's opinion on a team/brand. same went for "doll", griffin's part blew everyone away unexpectedly. ie girl & chocolate are not doomed. not everything is hunky dory over there either, there's been some bad luck & there have been a lot of departures – both on board and behind the scenes. but like let's take the microscope off torrance for 3 seconds

Good way to look at it. It's sad seeing how many people here seem to almost enjoy Crail's setbacks over the last decade or so. Clearly some problems are self induced--bad products, bizarre team decisions, etc. Everyone blames Ty for the deterioration of Crail's vibe, but I think that misses that Mike, Rickk, and Spike were (seemingly) onboard with it.

In any case, they have a crop of new guys that they should do more with. I thought Doll was great, but they seem to have no strategy with content. All the more strange since Crail was the probably the first company to put out high quality edits and regular segments. But they have enough team riders that a weekly segment or two that could be chopped up for Insta shouldn't be a problem.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #233 on: April 29, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »
  All these threads thats are predicting crails future have  an underlying basic sentement from the posters of "jeez already, just die and annouce it ka put" just simmering underneath.  Thats why these threads are popular, i think.
 Boo hoo i guess.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:40:31 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #234 on: April 29, 2019, 05:19:08 PM »
for whatever reason this entire decade - including the lead up to pretty sweet and especially the 7 years after - slap has beaten this subject to death. it's really boring. every company has good & bad graphics or team decisions (for every ribeiro, silvas or durao, there are 10x more flow dudes who went nowhere), misfires in videos, ads, messaging, product quality, etc. for a long time crail were the #1 brand, but they were never edgy – just sort of balance between cutting edge skating & video making, and with the coolest team. they're still one of the top 5 or 6 companies in sales/shop relationships/media presence, but they don't have the coolest team or most anticipated videos anymore. stop taking it personally, ok? let it go

which leaves the question of if you'll support a girl team of manchild, niels, griffin, simon, breana (+ malto, rick, rickk & mc), and chocolate w/ stevie, vincent, yonnie, capps, hakeem, carl, hosea (+ raven, kenny & jesus). i posted carl's first part last fall and literally not one person commented on it, to now where ppl are clamoring for him to be added officially, shows how quickly new riders can change ppl's opinion on a team/brand. same went for "doll", griffin's part blew everyone away unexpectedly. ie girl & chocolate are not doomed. not everything is hunky dory over there either, there's been some bad luck & there have been a lot of departures – both on board and behind the scenes. but like let's take the microscope off torrance for 3 seconds

last: crail bought themselves out of altamont almost right away, like within a year, leaving lakai behind. they took that deal to get a cash injection to help balance their books because of lakai debt – not girl & chocolate. it may have lead to the breakdown of a couple long relationships with ppl who expected equity (guy, eric) – who knows? so crail no longer own lakai, as others have pointed out above. it's owned by tsi, run by huf, with direction from crail. huf decided to pull their footwear, and not lakai's, meaning lakai is working as a niche action sports shoe company – at least for the time being. ok?

This is the most solid "previously on" I have read about current Crailtap. Thanks for that.

Seeing all these ex-pros/ams getting their real estate license has me thinking I should do the same thing. If ya can't beat em...
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2019, 05:26:41 PM »
for whatever reason this entire decade - including the lead up to pretty sweet and especially the 7 years after - slap has beaten this subject to death. it's really boring. every company has good & bad graphics or team decisions (for every ribeiro, silvas or durao, there are 10x more flow dudes who went nowhere), misfires in videos, ads, messaging, product quality, etc. for a long time crail were the #1 brand, but they were never edgy – just sort of balance between cutting edge skating & video making, and with the coolest team. they're still one of the top 5 or 6 companies in sales/shop relationships/media presence, but they don't have the coolest team or most anticipated videos anymore. stop taking it personally, ok? let it go

ok

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #236 on: April 29, 2019, 11:35:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ok

K’O?

Fro Doggy Dog

« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2019, 09:39:01 PM »
sean malto, signing a hello kitty board in a zumiez while wearing what appears to be a rolex submariner:

"and i, for one, welcome our new feline overlord"

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2019, 09:46:41 PM »
Simon deserves better than this shit. Put him on Antihero.

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #239 on: June 22, 2019, 10:07:05 PM »
Simon deserves better than this shit. Put him on Antihero.
Put antihero in crab
Release heavy ripper into ocean
Crab eats it in a 6 footer with marble coping
This kills the crab