Author Topic: Is it worth learning flip tricks?  (Read 3318 times)

PatoDuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -31
Is it worth learning flip tricks?
« on: February 16, 2019, 06:41:35 PM »
I’m a bigger guy and I used to ride a 9+ board just for kicks and fun but when I started learning more and more tricks I stepped down my deck size and it’s fun but not as fun anymore. Is it worth learning to shuv it? I can Ollie, Fakie Ollie, Fs and Bs Half cab, Fs 180 and sometimes if I’m feeling brave do slappies.

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
Re: Is it worth learning flip tricks?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 05:17:07 AM »
Learning anything is generally worth it.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 06:06:29 AM »
This is stupid.

PatoDuck

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 09:27:48 AM »
This is stupid.
funny coming for a guy who’s name is shit for brains,

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 12:46:18 PM »
nah u good with the fakie ollie

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 01:08:28 PM »
"new school"

Brguy

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 01:54:02 PM »
Expand Quote
This is stupid.
[close]
That just makes all of this extra stupid.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 02:02:05 PM »
Expand Quote
This is stupid.
[close]

hahahahahahaha oh my god i never put that together did you come up with that yourself dude it's so funny you should do stand up or write a book or put a cigarette out on your dick or something

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »
I’m a bigger guy and I used to ride a 9+ board just for kicks and fun but when I started learning more and more tricks I stepped down my deck size and it’s fun but not as fun anymore. Is it worth learning to shuv it? I can Ollie, Fakie Ollie, Fs and Bs Half cab, Fs 180 and sometimes if I’m feeling brave do slappies.
  Um if you get good ones it feels worth it.  You dont need to learn them as there is many ways to hurt yourself on a skateboard.  (Somehow SFBs finds the thread that the newbie starts and adds nothing relevant.  Its obviously not a stupid question to someone young and new to skatebording) 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 02:08:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is stupid.
[close]
[close]

hahahahahahaha oh my god i never put that together did you come up with that yourself dude it's so funny you should do stand up or write a book or put a cigarette out on your dick or something

Hes a kid who doesn't know wtf you're on about.  Good on him for giving you his lil comeback.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is stupid.
[close]
[close]

[close]

Hes a kid who doesn't know wtf you're on about.  Good on him for giving you his lil comeback.

I can't believe you spelled all of that right

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 02:14:31 PM »
Custom special for you.

PatoDuck

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 05:40:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
  Um if you get good ones it feels worth it.  You dont need to learn them as there is many ways to hurt yourself on a skateboard.  (Somehow SFBs finds the thread that the newbie starts and adds nothing relevant.  Its obviously not a stupid question to someone young and new to skatebording)
thank you the only person who actually contributes, I’m trying to learn anything that feels like a natural step.
"new school"
?
nah u good with the fakie ollie
Thank you Eddie Elguera
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is stupid.
[close]
[close]

[close]

mans has lost his marbles goes around rambling random meaningless garbage. Poor soul

BasedSenpai

• Rep: -14
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 03:11:22 AM »
Depends, if your goal is to be sponcered or "good" in the traditional sense, then yes. But if it's not fun to you and you dont really care what people think then fuck it do you man. I've lost 85% of the few flip tricks I had just because I stopped doing em and probably because skate mostly transition these days.

PatoDuck

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 10:17:52 AM »
Depends, if your goal is to be sponcered or "good" in the traditional sense, then yes. But if it's not fun to you and you dont really care what people think then fuck it do you man. I've lost 85% of the few flip tricks I had just because I stopped doing em and probably because skate mostly transition these days.
The only trick if ever actually want to learn is shove it’s and big spins other than that I can do almost every 180 trick

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 02:44:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The only trick if ever actually want to learn is shove it’s and big spins other than that I can do almost every 180 trick

Despite how THPS categorizes them, shuv em variations are not flip tricks. That said, if that's all you want to learn then fuck it, roll with that. Flip tricks are difficult and if they don't make you feel like a big man then there's no point in doing them.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

dragonblade

• Rep: -12
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 07:45:40 PM »
I admit that I'm a skater from the 80s and I really don't get this obsession about flip tricks. I remember when they were starting to get really popular in the 90s (by that time, I wasn't skating anymore.) Sure, some flip tricks are cool and I bet they take a lot of practise and skill to get right. Though it does get repetitive when you watch some skaters do heaps of flip tricks and hardly anything else. As for me, I prefer more variety.

PatoDuck

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 05:49:39 AM »
I admit that I'm a skater from the 80s and I really don't get this obsession about flip tricks. I remember when they were starting to get really popular in the 90s (by that time, I wasn't skating anymore.) Sure, some flip tricks are cool and I bet they take a lot of practise and skill to get right. Though it does get repetitive when you watch some skaters do heaps of flip tricks and hardly anything else. As for me, I prefer more variety.
I think the obsession really came form freestyle. Rodney is one reason why they are popular. Now a days it’s like every other kid wants to be trendy and niche.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 07:57:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think the obsession really came form freestyle. Rodney is one reason why they are popular. Now a days it’s like every other kid wants to be trendy and niche.

Wouldn't it be the bs boardslide, no comply, shove it, powerslide but can't really powerslide kids that are trying too hard to be trendy and niche? The kids that enjoy flip tricks, progression, and getting good are having just as much fun as the dorky kids. It is easier for some people, and they are having fun ripping while you try to do very, very slow shove its.

Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

PatoDuck

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Wouldn't it be the bs boardslide, no comply, shove it, powerslide but can't really powerslide kids that are trying too hard to be trendy and niche? The kids that enjoy flip tricks, progression, and getting good are having just as much fun as the dorky kids. It is easier for some people, and they are having fun ripping while you try to do very, very slow shove its.
I really don’t understand what your trying to get at so I’m going to disregard anything you say. And second of all who are you to judge? I can rip if I want too not everyone is Chris Joslin numbnuts

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 11:17:02 AM »
learn how to fucking kickflip
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

PatoDuck

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 01:55:27 PM »
learn how to fucking kickflip
ill learn what I want, there’s no rules

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 03:39:27 PM »
i can do literally every flip trick and can confirm most of it was a waste of time

PatoDuck

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 05:11:25 PM »
i can do literally every flip trick and can confirm most of it was a waste of time
thank you

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 01:15:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I really don’t understand what your trying to get at so I’m going to disregard anything you say. And second of all who are you to judge? I can rip if I want too not everyone is Chris Joslin numbnuts

Im just saying that you're accusing other kids of being trendy when they're just doing what comes naturally to them.

There's actually alot of Chris Joslins out there, very young kids that are hungrier than others for whatever reason, so they just happen to get really good. Usually they get hated on by the average yugioh/Pokemon kid who needs something (skateboarding) to help them feel unique.

Flip tricks are pointless though. As is skateboarding. Best of luck with your fs half cabs.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:20:03 AM by skatingisntspecialstupid »
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

Front Blunt

• Rep: -4
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 09:13:56 PM »
BS 180> Shove ems > Flippies > Not learning flippies > basket weaving > scootin > asking strangers if learning something is a good idea > True detective season 2

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 08:33:31 AM »
You’ll never win some free gear from koston at this rate

When he catches you slappin and you can’t do that kickflip, free wheels or a numbers board was never a chance for you

Flip tricks are fun, more variety and possibilities

Also you get more babes, she don’t care about your weak ass 180 or Ollie’s, she wants to see the board flip and you some how break the laws of physics and fly in the air and land back on the board after it rotated 360 degrees vertically under you
yes

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 11:46:19 AM »
Learning is always worth it.