Author Topic: Queer Skating in LA  (Read 18709 times)

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
Re: Queer Skating in LA
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2019, 11:30:57 AM »
Question for y'all: Are there any good covered spots in LA? Looks like it might rain all weekend. :(
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3335
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »
Question for y'all: Are there any good covered spots in LA? Looks like it might rain all weekend. :(

There's a covered spot in the parking lot of the Home Depot that's just east (on the other side of the 5) of Dodger's stadium. It's fun as hell. A bunch of slick curbs.
I skate in the parking garage at LACC all the time but it's not a great spot.

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 34
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2019, 04:57:25 PM »
skateboarding is so gay now

Gay Agenda: 1
Skateboarding: 0

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2019, 05:14:31 PM »

I work nearby this. Its more the south bay but this is a full proof spot that is skated a lot in the rain.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2019, 02:03:57 PM »
This is an interesting question...I know I would have checked it out, but I've never fit in with with the gay crowd whatsoever, so chances are I wouldn't have been a part of that. What would have been cool, though, is knowing that there were other gay kids out skating around. I honestly didn't think there were any others, which is a bit narcissistic, but I just felt really alone, so it would have been cool to know something like this was out there, even if I wanted no part of it.

This. 100% this.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:12:38 PM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2019, 02:08:37 PM »
Just to add my 2p worth - I’m a middle aged gay man who’s been skating for the majority of my life. I totally agree, in principle with the idea that segregation isn’t the answer and that ‘everyone should just skate together’, but the reality isn’t that simple. On a personal level I’ve always avoided segregating myself out form the rest of society, and as a result I spent a lot of my life living in houses full of skater, working in skate shops and later doing other random bits of work in the skate industry. As an adult it’s been absolutely fine and I’ve never experienced any homophobia in the skate industry, to the point that I got kind of sick of well wishing skaters drunkenly telling me how great it was that I brought my boyfriend along to whatever random skate event we were at.

But, and it’s a big but - thinking back to my teenage years, it didn’t feel that way at all! It’s easy to forget how much of the skate scene is made up of insecure teenage boys acting like complete dicks. Sure, most of them grow out of it, but as a teenager I remember hearing so much relentlessly homophobic comments, and feeling utterly alone as a gay kid skating. After I came out I had to have endless awkward conversations with people trying to apologise for the things they’d said around me before they realised I was gay.

So yeah, as an adult I’m happy enough not seeking out any of these queer skate crews on the odd occasion I go out skating, and generally just hang out with the same bunch of middle aged straight men I’ve been skating, drinking, and generally getting old with for the last 20 years or so, but I still absolutely get why a lot of teenagers think they’re necessary. Sure, in an ideal world they wouldn’t need exist, but we’re sure as hell not there yet!

There is a difficult balance between the need for visibility, and the risk of LGBT folks isolating themselves from wider society, and I completely understand that people will have differing but equally valid opinions on this. But for now, as long as some kid skating in the middle of nowhere is able to see that these queer skate crews exist, and as a result not feel as alone as I did as a teenager, then more fucking power to them.

Well said. Agree 100% on every point.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2019, 02:11:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's a covered spot in the parking lot of the Home Depot that's just east (on the other side of the 5) of Dodger's stadium. It's fun as hell. A bunch of slick curbs.
I skate in the parking garage at LACC all the time but it's not a great spot.

But you have to watch out for flying lawn mowers

otherside

• Rep: 14
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2019, 08:17:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Just to add my 2p worth - I’m a middle aged gay man who’s been skating for the majority of my life. I totally agree, in principle with the idea that segregation isn’t the answer and that ‘everyone should just skate together’, but the reality isn’t that simple. On a personal level I’ve always avoided segregating myself out form the rest of society, and as a result I spent a lot of my life living in houses full of skater, working in skate shops and later doing other random bits of work in the skate industry. As an adult it’s been absolutely fine and I’ve never experienced any homophobia in the skate industry, to the point that I got kind of sick of well wishing skaters drunkenly telling me how great it was that I brought my boyfriend along to whatever random skate event we were at.

But, and it’s a big but - thinking back to my teenage years, it didn’t feel that way at all! It’s easy to forget how much of the skate scene is made up of insecure teenage boys acting like complete dicks. Sure, most of them grow out of it, but as a teenager I remember hearing so much relentlessly homophobic comments, and feeling utterly alone as a gay kid skating. After I came out I had to have endless awkward conversations with people trying to apologise for the things they’d said around me before they realised I was gay.

So yeah, as an adult I’m happy enough not seeking out any of these queer skate crews on the odd occasion I go out skating, and generally just hang out with the same bunch of middle aged straight men I’ve been skating, drinking, and generally getting old with for the last 20 years or so, but I still absolutely get why a lot of teenagers think they’re necessary. Sure, in an ideal world they wouldn’t need exist, but we’re sure as hell not there yet!

There is a difficult balance between the need for visibility, and the risk of LGBT folks isolating themselves from wider society, and I completely understand that people will have differing but equally valid opinions on this. But for now, as long as some kid skating in the middle of nowhere is able to see that these queer skate crews exist, and as a result not feel as alone as I did as a teenager, then more fucking power to them.
[close]

Well said. Agree 100% on every point.

It seems like a common view amongst us aging gay skaters. The bottom line for me is that this sort of very visible queer skate scene is really useful for LGBT teenage kids in that awkward period of life where the whole world feels like it’s lining up against you.

If I’m totally honest if people into their 30s and 40s in the major cities of the developed world still feel like they really need to be part of a really specifically self defined queer skate scene, then maybe they need to get over themselves a bit. But then I know I have the good luck to live in a really liberal city, so my ‘sexuality is the least interesting thing about me’ smugness is a real privilege...

euro tm

« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2019, 02:47:27 PM »
if anyone is there with them right now please give leo banuelos a big ol hug for me

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »
Was heading to work and saw that they were at the courthouse. Decided to briefly stop by to tell Jeff that I dig what he does and loved his artwork. Gave him my last 2 shalom stickers, He obviously didn't know what it was haha but he said he was down to give them away to the skaters. Was trying to buy a shirt off of him but he was holding them for the raffle. He said more product will be up on his site soon, sick dude.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:51:22 PM by Monkey_Mcpott »

hangontoyourego

« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »
jeff is rad !

PatoDuck

• Rep: -31
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2019, 08:28:56 PM »
I wanted to go to the derby one but I was out of town😢

theresnothinghere

« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2019, 08:41:21 PM »
Was heading to work and saw that they were at the courthouse. Decided to briefly stop by to tell Jeff that I dig what he does and loved his artwork. Gave him my last 2 shalom stickers, He obviously didn't know what it was haha but he said he was down to give them away to the skaters. Was trying to buy a shirt off of him but he was holding them for the raffle. He said more product will be up on his site soon, sick dude.

This is so sick. I think it speaks for itself that instead of making money off his art when you offered to buy it, that he would rather give it to queer skaters who are hyped on queer skate day.
Won a shirt and brand new adidas at the last one I went to and it made me feel so fucking good honestly.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:53:50 PM by theresnothinghere »

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »
I think skateboarding has something inherently gay to it, so it's only natural that us homos gravitate towards it.

It's just important that the gayness associated to skateboarding does not become sanitized and middle class. Gotta be from the streets to the streets.

Jagr

« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2019, 09:16:36 AM »
what even is skateboarding these gays.

Jagr

« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2019, 09:19:08 AM »
what even is skateboarding these gays.

and i do think unity is rad.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2019, 11:15:53 AM »
...The bottom line for me is that this sort of very visible queer skate scene is really useful for LGBT teenage kids...

If I’m totally honest if people into their 30s and 40s in the major cities...

Identity is a weird thing. People can draw pie charts, and fill in the various pieces of the pie chart with the various things they "identify" as. Skater. Father. Irish. German. Latino. Democrat. Republican. LGBT. etc. I think when you are younger a lot more of this stuff matters. The % to which any piece of the "pie" is different at different times in your life. To that end, and as is illuminated by some comments in this thread, I think what Unity  (and others) are doing is super rad, and really, really, really needed. Yet, as someone who has been "out" in my local skate scene for over twenty years, it is now such a moot point in my life. It’s just like…*yawn*. Big fucking deal. Do I need to rehash this, again? Can't we just go get tacos, hit a curb, or go skate a mini ramp? When I was younger the % of the pie chart that was allocated to my so-called "queer" identity was pretty big. Now, it is just a sliver.     
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:18:37 AM by Sedition »

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2019, 11:21:45 AM »

This is actually so fucking rad. I saw that Ellington invited the Unity team to skate the Baker warehouse too. Very proud of Jeff's successes and his contributions to the skate community as a whole.

otherside

• Rep: 14
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2019, 02:06:51 AM »
Expand Quote
...The bottom line for me is that this sort of very visible queer skate scene is really useful for LGBT teenage kids...

If I’m totally honest if people into their 30s and 40s in the major cities...
[close]

Identity is a weird thing. People can draw pie charts, and fill in the various pieces of the pie chart with the various things they "identify" as. Skater. Father. Irish. German. Latino. Democrat. Republican. LGBT. etc. I think when you are younger a lot more of this stuff matters. The % to which any piece of the "pie" is different at different times in your life. To that end, and as is illuminated by some comments in this thread, I think what Unity  (and others) are doing is super rad, and really, really, really needed. Yet, as someone who has been "out" in my local skate scene for over twenty years, it is now such a moot point in my life. It’s just like…*yawn*. Big fucking deal. Do I need to rehash this, again? Can't we just go get tacos, hit a curb, or go skate a mini ramp? When I was younger the % of the pie chart that was allocated to my so-called "queer" identity was pretty big. Now, it is just a sliver.   

Well put!

theresnothinghere

« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2019, 04:56:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is actually so fucking rad. I saw that Ellington invited the Unity team to skate the Baker warehouse too. Very proud of Jeff's successes and his contributions to the skate community as a whole.

Yeah they did, was watching clips from it and everyone I follow in Unity was super stoked on it.

Noioso

• Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2019, 01:31:21 PM »
hahaha...Just to clear up a couple things up I am not Jeff and no one is "on" Unity. I am just someone who's part of the crew.

The trip was really fun! I got the Shalom stickers, Monkey! Like I told you on Insta, I was announcing the names in the raffle, and I asked everyone who put those out. I was so curious who was from here. lol Thanks to any one who may have come!

Here's some clips from the trip. I'm pretty bad at editing/filming (dad-cam), so try to ignore:
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

theresnothinghere

« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2019, 06:45:32 PM »
Trans + Queer Skate meet up at Los Angeles Trade - Technical College. Just something to do in between applying to some sick jobs. Nothing formal, if i see you there cool.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2019, 06:55:13 PM »
Trans + Queer Skate meet up at Los Angeles Trade - Technical College. Just something to do in between applying to some sick jobs. Nothing formal, if i see you there cool.

When? :o)

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2019, 07:00:36 PM »
hahaha...Just to clear up a couple things up I am not Jeff and no one is "on" Unity. I am just someone who's part of the crew.

The trip was really fun! I got the Shalom stickers, Monkey! Like I told you on Insta, I was announcing the names in the raffle, and I asked everyone who put those out. I was so curious who was from here. lol Thanks to any one who may have come!

Here's some clips from the trip. I'm pretty bad at editing/filming (dad-cam), so try to ignore:

Glad you got em!  :-*

theresnothinghere

« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2019, 07:03:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When? :o)

There's a trans job fair going on tomorrow that I'm driving like 8 hours to go to haha, so I'll just be hanging out all day between 12-4pm and skating in between doing interviews etc. Nothing formal, I'll be there, people can skate and meet up. Don't want to even talk to anyone, just saying it would be cool to meet the gay side of slap (but again i probably won't say anything)

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2019, 04:29:21 PM »

Noioso getting CLIPS.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2019, 04:38:56 PM »
Wonderful stuff! And my crazy crush on Noioso continues.