Author Topic: Is it bad technique to pop your ollies with your back foot not on the tail edge?  (Read 4825 times)

S.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Fotos avatar image
You might like the decks that have a longer flat space between the truck and the tail. Being a "just the tip" guy I find it odd. Unresponsive I guess,  but a few guys I know prefer it.

I hate those decks! I recently bought one that had a slight "tail gap" i.e. the tail does not go up directly from the back truck. The guy from the shop, who I skate with sometimes, warned me about it, too. He said since I scoop my 360 flips alot with my backfoot the shape would fuck up my 360 flips. I brushed it off, thinking how much of a difference could that small gap make. He was right though. It took me three days to relearn 360 flips. There is a weird delay in the scoop now. I can do them OK now, but they don't feel as good as they did before. I will definitely go back to a shape without such gap for my next deck.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 78
In the end, its the tip of the tail that will hit the ground first.
Timing is key, and I can for sure see how your foot position can screw with that.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Expand Quote
You might like the decks that have a longer flat space between the truck and the tail. Being a "just the tip" guy I find it odd. Unresponsive I guess,  but a few guys I know prefer it.
[close]

I hate those decks! I recently bought one that had a slight "tail gap" i.e. the tail does not go up directly from the back truck. The guy from the shop, who I skate with sometimes, warned me about it, too. He said since I scoop my 360 flips alot with my backfoot the shape would fuck up my 360 flips. I brushed it off, thinking how much of a difference could that small gap make. He was right though. It took me three days to relearn 360 flips. There is a weird delay in the scoop now. I can do them OK now, but they don't feel as good as they did before. I will definitely go back to a shape without such gap for my next deck.

Same here. I got a couple of decks like that and they felt really off, despite the angle of the tail being the same as previous decks I had which rode fine. I didn’t realize it was the flat between the trucks and the start of the tail angle that was the problem until someone pointed it out to me. I missed out on about 13 years of skating between 2002 and 2015 or so and I don’t remember experiencing this problem before 02 but it seems common enough now. I wonder if there were always popsicles set up like that or if its a recent thing

Bony cawk

• Rep: 23
This thread made me realize I never look at my back foot placement is and only pay attention to my front foot

Powerslide

• Rep: -28
All I know is that I suck at doing any tricks when the board has no concave, a la Flip, Girl, etc. Give me some of that hot concave, and I'll ollie over a cone any day. Every trick has a different back foot placement for me - some towards the tip, some more in. It's all about finding the sweet spot (both feet) for you for any trick.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
I never really pay attention to my back foot all I know is I get higher ollies placing my front foot a little back on the board like in the middle of the board
instead of right after the front bolts.
Interesting I wonder what's the best placement for the back foot I just feel comfortable having it over the tail not on the edge or anything

FLstrange

• Rep: 324
to get the most height you gotta place both feet on the bolts over your trucks, crouch all the way down and jump straight up into the air while fully retracting you legs. the special magnetic insoles inside your shoes will lift the board.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD