Author Topic: Is the east coast really more “rugged” and “raw” or is it just cope?  (Read 8077 times)

oroku1983

Expand Quote
Manhattan streets are smooth as glass
[close]

This is... not true.
recognize that you are privileged.

ungzilla

which one of u nerds is going to compile all this data into ArcGIS so we can compute some geostatistics on ground roughness

SpankerChief

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
Weather erosion. It's science.
Nice sig Holy Mountain? I watched that movie while eating a shitload of acid
Great film
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
is street skating more rugged and raw than park skating or something people with lack of skill just made up? don’t be afraid to ask the tough questions.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This is... not true.
[close]
recognize that you are privileged.

What do you mean by this

OwlGreen

• Rep: -126
Expand Quote
[close]

This is... not true.

What, do you ride on the fucking sidewalk like a little bitch? On the asphalt you can go miles to just the sound of spinning bearings.

John Florence

The east coast is rugged and raw, new york not so much

Chanel West Coast

The east coast is rugged and raw, new york not so much

Yeah NY honestly comparable to to Sf, maybe a little worse but comparable to most other major US cities like Denver, Portland, Atlanta, Austin.  The rest of the east coast though, is very rugged.  Boston, DC, Baltimore, Philly etc.

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
east coast is rougher and shittier and cold and full of assholes, i love it when i visit

SHIREFLIP

East coast is bout that ruff ryders DMX shit.

Mahfuckas causing mud out here, bruh.

KevinOHara

• Rep: -11
east coast is more raw and rugged but the thing is that those guys push it way too hard and also use it as the only thing they got going for them, which gets played out and boring. we get it, you're east coast, but bring something new to the table too.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
West Coast/PNW has better transition/park skaters because of the abundance of excellent parks. You see complete randoms doing 5-0s through pool block on 12' high corners, Chalmers-size transfers, etc.

You can be a local hero on the East Coast with a solid 1' stinkbug.

This is coming from an Easterner.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
I’ve only lived in Boston and NY I’d say those 2 are about equal crust levels.

Honestly fucking chunky salt for snow on the roads is what’s pissing me off currently.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Where are the google street view screen shots? We need evidence.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

CarbonaNotWax

• Rep: -10
Seattle roads are absolutely horrible, way worse than Philly or Florida (which are my only other two points of reference.) but can you imagine trying to skate somewhere like Ethiopia?

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
Summer 2017 I finally got to skate NYC (had been to LA countless times, SF, Barcelona,and more). I left my friend's house in Brooklyn to explore. I was surprised at the changes in elevation, and before I knew it was "bombing" a hill. Saw a super hot chick on the sidewalk, then hit a pothole and flew off the board- ripping my pants literally within 5 minutes. It was pretty embarrassing but hilarious.

Anyway I think the most underrated part of why NYC is hard to skate is the sheer amount of people walking around. That said I only stayed in Brooklyn and then Manhattan just blocks from Columbus Park.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

ChrisLambe94

Theirs a lot of spots in Vancouver that are just as rough,  as skateboarding here in Charlottetown PEI Canada. Plus Vancouver theirs needles everywhere,condoms, grimy, it’s raw dog. Both ends of  Canada are gnarly. Calgary is super rough as well. I think it’s because of the chinooks.
I never skated in the beloved USA 🇺🇸 ❤️ Maybe someday I can sneak through the border  haha
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:24:56 PM by Christopher Lambe »

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
Being an "East Coast Skater" allows you whine about having it so hard to ride your toy around. NY and Philly are the only places on earth that have cracks in the sidewalk and cold weather. It also calls for white kids to train into the city to lounge around plazas and parks as if they belong to a hard crew, like they see in rap videos. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:01:19 AM by Robert Baratheon »

Htownlegend

• Rep: -63
The weather alone makes it more rugged. Freezing cold temps, constant snow, rain. People on west coast never experience this. I'd be willing to bet at least half the people who skate in California would not even bother skating if they were on the east coast because of the weather alone. Who cares if the streets are rougher and cracked up when you cant even skate it first of all because of the snow covering it!

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
"The east coast sucks cause it makes kids act like black people" is quite the take.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
Seattle roads are absolutely horrible, way worse than Philly or Florida (which are my only other two points of reference.) but can you imagine trying to skate somewhere like Ethiopia?

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 09:10:02 AM by Robert Baratheon »

SHIREFLIP

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
I think the comparison should really be SoCal vs. The Rest of the US. It's going to be rough pretty much anywhere it snows/rains a lot because of salt, freezing, and erosion. Outside of SoCal, you're forced to think more creatively about spots. More thought about how you're going to skate a spot, as opposed to what you're going to do at a spot. Less 360 double flips, but more stimulating and visually engaging spots (at least in my opinion).

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal

Yeah, the ignorant dopes that lampooned what the they saw on TV as black culture wasn't racist but me pointing it out is. Fucking moron

SHIREFLIP

I wasn't trying to call you racist.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
I wasn't trying to call you racist.

I'm sorry.

SHIREFLIP

It's cool.