Author Topic: Best place to move  (Read 4262 times)

solarpanel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Best place to move
« on: February 27, 2019, 12:55:34 PM »
Im about to just live off grid, traveling around by foot, living outside by choice because im sick of society. Sold everything, gave up the business I owned, now Im heading out.... If you guys were doing this, what city would you head toward? I fkn Love skateboarding. I was into it when I was young, took about a decade off due to "making a living"... but now Im realizing what is important... lol.

So ya. Where would yal move if you were doing this? Im guessing LA will be a main spot, but Im trying to avoid cities with that much crime... I was thinkin maybe Santa Cruz? Much love

CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime

Re: Best place to move
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 01:00:54 PM »
I would not participate in an activity that may really. Fuck me. Up if I lived that lifestyle. No disrespect I admire it and it's a cool decision. I'd always be afraid though what if you break your leg or something and can't even move? Or twist something learning to skate you have nobody and nowhere to live? I dunno.

solarpanel

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:07:53 PM »
So basically, you're asking me about Fear? I have none... But as far as crime goes, I wont put myself into a stupid situation on purpose. I want to play my cards right, while living the life I choose to live. But no, I have no fears such as those... I appreciate your input though Much Love!

CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 01:17:13 PM »
So basically, you're asking me about Fear? I have none... But as far as crime goes, I wont put myself into a stupid situation on purpose. I want to play my cards right, while living the life I choose to live. But no, I have no fears such as those... I appreciate your input though Much Love!
No I'm saying skateboarding is really really hard and it seems you say you wanna re learn? You are gonna get hurt. That is balzy as a solo outdoor living vagabond. All the power to you but seems like skateboarding wouldn't bring any value to your situation with more weight than its risk and cost. Unless you mean just cruising around.

solarpanel

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 01:22:15 PM »
I think you misunderstand me. Im not going to be training like a pro trying to become some master skater... I'm more or less looking for the best scene. So I can live off grid, but then find some cool hangout spots where I can skate around n have some fun with people that are free-spirited. I notice out of all the things I tried in life, the Skateboarding crowd is the most accepting, IMO. No judgin, just havin fun. Im looking for the places that Host this, more than other places. I know  Cali has like the most skaters n parks, So I will seek out an area with some cool people, cool spots, and head there. LA was my first choice, but after hearing horror stories about the crime at night, I think I will look for a dif spot lmao. Got my heart set on Santa Cruz at the moment....

The ideal post I am fishing for , is some dude like "Ya man we got tons of parks, tons of skaters, and plenty of places for you to sleep outside... "___" Would be perfect for you! " lol

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 01:40:00 PM »
I'm pretty much doing the same right now, but on a bicycle. I'm travelling all around the U.S. and exploring cities and areas of the country to move to, and camping every night and getting invited to stay in people's homes alot. Personally it would be hard to take someone's reccomendation on where you should move without actually spending any time there. I would just start travelling and you'll find what you're looking for.

solarpanel

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 02:11:30 PM »
Bro yeessss you get it! And ya I mean thats pretty much what I am going to do, I just love hearing peoples opinions on places they love/and Why they love them. Gives me destination ideas to check out. Where have you had the most fun so far? You out in the west?

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »
the homeless scene in seattle seems pretty poppin
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

oroku1983

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 03:44:56 PM »
Been thinking about starting a beach skate posse ala lost boys vampires but with skateboards instead of motorbikes down in santa monica you in?

oroku1983

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 03:46:47 PM »
we can find a cave somewhere and turn it into our lair, maybe throw up a couple mini ramps.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:48:54 PM by oroku1983 »

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 05:13:08 PM »
Did you watch Into the Wild last night, too?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

csb711

• Rep: 2
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 08:10:50 PM »
we can find a cave somewhere and turn it into our lair, maybe throw up a couple mini ramps.

best early retirement plan I've heard

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 09:17:35 PM »
People I know either move to SF, SD or LA. If I were able to, I'd juggle back and forth between east coast and socal or AZ. It depends on the season too

solarpanel

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 10:32:53 PM »
only if you bring the beer

solarpanel

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 10:34:45 PM »
People I know either move to SF, SD or LA. If I were able to, I'd juggle back and forth between east coast and socal or AZ. It depends on the season too
Yaknow, I never even considered SD because of that border situation atm, but I think I will give it a second look. AZ is amazing but no beach is a no-go for me. Them beaches provide a lot of offgrid resources.

solarpanel

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 10:40:07 PM »
the homeless scene in seattle seems pretty poppin
If Seattle had better weather, I would probably already be out there, to be honest.

themeangreen

• Rep: -75
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 10:49:34 PM »
If you actually want to relearn how to skate and want an actual experience, not a bunch of dude bro mans go to a cool major city (not LA) Barcelona, Madrid, move to Copenhagen for the summer, rent a shitty apartment in NYC for the sunny 5 months go stay in the woods in Oregon or Washington near some parks.
Don't go to LA. What it sounds like is you need a vacation, go somewhere you can see yourself and head out there with no plans but to skate and eat.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 11:54:52 PM »
Ok, so I'm terribly confused here (and I have little faith this post is even remotely honest).

You want to live "off grid" because you're "sick of society," but you are looking for recommendations about which city to live in? I'm pretty sure cities are the center of modern society and few places in a major first world city are going to be "off grid."
If you want to be "off grid" why not buy a camper move on to The Mesa?

Finally, Santa Cruz County and Los Angeles County have the exact same violent crime rate, but if you compare the City of Santa Cruz and the City of Los Angeles, LA's crime rate is dramatically lower:

County:
Santa Cruz violent crime rate = 4.3 per 1,000.
Los Angeles violent crime rate = 4.3 per 1,000.

City:
SC = 8.26 per 1,000
LA = 4.91 per 1,000
(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_locations_by_crime_rate )
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:05:39 AM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

solarpanel

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 12:02:49 AM »
Ok, so I'm terribly confused here (and I have little faith this post is even remotely honest).

You want to live "off grid" because you're "sick of society" but you are looking for recommendations about which city to live in? I'm pretty sure cities are the center of modern society and few places in a major first world city are going to be "off grid."
If you want to be "off grid" why not buy a camper move on to The Mesa?

Finally, Santa Cruz and Los Angeles have the exact same violent crime rate:

Santa Cruz's violent crime rate = 4.3 per 1,000.
Los Angeles violent crime rate = 4.3 per 1,000.
(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_locations_by_crime_rate )
Well its very simple my skeptical friend= Money. Everything in this world boils down to how much Money you have.
I have literally 0. But I did manage to trade off the business I owned for cleared debt and some off grid supplies...
So my plan is to live off the grid, sourcing much of my needs from nature, but I still need to be Near a major city for emergency supplies.
And the experience! My end goal, IS to just get a cheap RV and park in random places.... But for now, I basically have to find a cool place to hang out, find some farm work and supplies n have a good time.
I have many options in life, but after careful consideration over many months, this is my path. I also am considering this new thing called "Ecovillages"I heard about.
Like I said, the ideal posts I was looking for, are from people living in cool cities with a good environment that would recommend it for my situation.
I know this is odd maybe a little weird, many wont understand, but thanks for the response I appreciate it :)

solarpanel

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 12:08:43 AM »
If you actually want to relearn how to skate and want an actual experience, not a bunch of dude bro mans go to a cool major city (not LA) Barcelona, Madrid, move to Copenhagen for the summer, rent a shitty apartment in NYC for the sunny 5 months go stay in the woods in Oregon or Washington near some parks.
Don't go to LA. What it sounds like is you need a vacation, go somewhere you can see yourself and head out there with no plans but to skate and eat.
I wish I could do that man, thats a great idea all of it... It's just not possible for me though.
Without going into details, I have a very unique situation in my current city..
I know it sounds stupid, but I have been blacklisted in my city. I can't even get a minimum wage job here. I had a business I owned, but it was a hamster wheel.
So now my choices are= Go into the military (im too old...), turn to Crime (im a christian , so no) or leave this city with the clothes on my back/supplies in my pack, for a cooler place with both Abundant Nature, and some cool skate spots...
Barcelona would be my first choice once I get working again, but I have had so many bad experiences with humans, I would rather look for offgrid work (which can be a TON of different things) until I save enough...
Much love bro

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 03:08:55 AM »
Why not just move to slab city? Seems like a good place to start at least until you get into the groove of being a vagabond.

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 05:40:50 AM »
Im about to just live off grid, traveling around by foot, living outside by choice because im sick of society. Sold everything, gave up the business I owned, now Im heading out.... If you guys were doing this, what city would you head toward? I fkn Love skateboarding. I was into it when I was young, took about a decade off due to "making a living"... but now Im realizing what is important... lol.

So ya. Where would yal move if you were doing this? Im guessing LA will be a main spot, but Im trying to avoid cities with that much crime... I was thinkin maybe Santa Cruz? Much love
Bruv, the West coast has been tramped out for year's if you have any skills utilize them and travel by car if possible. I'm speaking of this as a former traveler and dealing with shenanigans specifically the West coast. It's easy to get cought up however if you're not getting wasted and have a good repore with locals you should be good.
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 07:59:28 AM »
Looks like you should leve the US.A.

there a a lot of "Ecovillages" in Europe.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 11:56:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I wish I could do that man, thats a great idea all of it... It's just not possible for me though.
Without going into details, I have a very unique situation in my current city..
I know it sounds stupid, but I have been blacklisted in my city. I can't even get a minimum wage job here. I had a business I owned, but it was a hamster wheel.
So now my choices are= Go into the military (im too old...), turn to Crime (im a christian , so no) or leave this city with the clothes on my back/supplies in my pack, for a cooler place with both Abundant Nature, and some cool skate spots...
Barcelona would be my first choice once I get working again, but I have had so many bad experiences with humans, I would rather look for offgrid work (which can be a TON of different things) until I save enough...
Much love bro

But we want the details...

tedkootz

• Rep: -59
  • my life be like ooh ahh
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2019, 12:37:21 PM »
heard Antarctica has a sick skate scene

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2019, 10:12:24 PM »
Ever consider moving east? Upstate NY is nice
And just depressed enough to make it affordable.
Albany has a good scene and you drive an hour
North and you are in Lake George which is
Beautiful and can provide seasonal work in the summer
There are also farms that you could work on
If you don’t want to deal with the public.
I wouldn’t buy an RV though, too much
Up keep. You should get a truck and just tow
A camper. But if you are dead set on an RV
Remember that Walmart allows you to park
In their lots for free. Good luck and keep us
Posted.

solarpanel

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2019, 03:03:09 PM »
Ever consider moving east? Upstate NY is nice
And just depressed enough to make it affordable.
Albany has a good scene and you drive an hour
North and you are in Lake George which is
Beautiful and can provide seasonal work in the summer
There are also farms that you could work on
If you don’t want to deal with the public.
I wouldn’t buy an RV though, too much
Up keep. You should get a truck and just tow
A camper. But if you are dead set on an RV
Remember that Walmart allows you to park
In their lots for free. Good luck and keep us
Posted.

I never considered it for weather reasons but after this post, I will def look into it! Thanks man

solarpanel

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2019, 03:03:39 PM »
Why not just move to slab city? Seems like a good place to start at least until you get into the groove of being a vagabond.
  Idk if u jokin or not, but I am  most def visiting the slabs on my travels. 100%

solarpanel

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Bruv, the West coast has been tramped out for year's if you have any skills utilize them and travel by car if possible. I'm speaking of this as a former traveler and dealing with shenanigans specifically the West coast. It's easy to get cought up however if you're not getting wasted and have a good repore with locals you should be good.
   Yaaaaa startin to get this vibe bro. I appreciate this post.
I Love the west coast vibe but its damn near ruined now.
Im sober now.  So def wont be lookin to get crazy.
Seriously just considering Florida. I was just trying to find a location with a lot of Farming communities. Florida got some too though.

And to the post about Europe, I will Pass man. The EU is being destroyed even moreso than America lol
But America- I give it 5 years and I bet my life on it that this whole thing starts crumbling.

solarpanel

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2019, 03:07:57 PM »
heard Antarctica has a sick skate scene

Hells ya. Super FLAT. Heard there's even a Giant Wall there to play on. Would be dope. But unfortunately its locked down by the worlds leaders and no one is ever allowed to even get near it lol