Author Topic: WHEN DID SKATEBOARDING BECOME SO PC?  (Read 18346 times)

chris gentryfied

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -86
Re: WHEN DID SKATEBOARDING BECOME SO PC?
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2019, 06:30:11 AM »
i think there are enough extra setups floating around nowadays that skating is mostly accessible. maybe if you live in a food desert projects or trailer park miles from skateparks and urban centers it's tough but if you can get to a skatespot, you can bro your way into a setup even if your mama broke.
skating is free after the initial investment. kids don't need new boards very often either, $50 twice a yr. i don't buy that skating is cost prohibitive.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 656
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2019, 01:33:43 PM »
i think there are enough extra setups floating around nowadays that skating is mostly accessible. maybe if you live in a food desert projects or trailer park miles from skateparks and urban centers it's tough but if you can get to a skatespot, you can bro your way into a setup even if your mama broke.
skating is free after the initial investment. kids don't need new boards very often either, $50 twice a yr. i don't buy that skating is cost prohibitive.

I have few problems with this:

Even if we pretend that everyone can get their first set-up for free, the idea that being a skateboarder is a fun low cost activity strikes me to be a stretch. I could simplify baseball to only being the cost of a bat, a ball and a glove, but we all know it costs more than that to actually play baseball.

1) Let's pretend there is a kid who gets hand me down shit his whole time as a skater. Riding hand-me down shit forever isn't the same as getting new shit every now and again. It would take an extreme level of dedication to ride shit all the time. Also, it is going to take a pretty awesome scene/friends who are always down to offer hand-me-downs. I've only known one kid (who is now in his late 20s) who has pushed through riding garbage the majority of his time as a skater. He only got a new set-up when he parents let him keep a bit more of his paycheck, because it was his birthday. Not surprisingly, he is tech as fuck and never jumps down anything.

2) If we look at things needed just to maintain a decent set-up it gets expensive real fast. We need to replace the hard goods as they wear out and we need to regularly replace our shoes. "Expensive" is a relative term, but I look back at when I was spending $145 on skate goods each month (2 decks/grip at 40, a pair of shoes at 50, and we'll add in 15 to account for the random shit that wears out every now again such as bearings, bushings, or trucks) and I don't know where that money was coming from. Especially, because this doesn't even include the money I spent driving in circles, paying to get into the heated indoor park, and on garbage at the gas station near the park/spot.

3) A skater who only goes through 2 boards a year, isn't really skating that often (unless they are like 8 years old). Hell, this is my first year where I've had a board longer than 3 months and I don't really feel like a skater anymore.

4) This only covers the basics to actually ride a skateboard. Riding a skateboard is completely different than being a part of the scene and being a skater. I know lots of people who own skateboards, few of them are actually skaters. Once we get into actually being part of the scene the overall financial costs and especially time costs increase. Cellphone footage and online videos have made things a bit more accessible compared to when I was at my peak, but now that I'm an adult and I have to save for a downpayment on a home, save for retirement, pay $500 a month for health insurance, pay for rent, etc. I look at all the money I was spending jumping around a skateboard while making minimum wage and realize what a fucking luxury that was and how lucky I was to have parents who could pay for my necessities and allow me to fuck around.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:39:35 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

ohhyess

• Rep: -43
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2019, 01:57:39 PM »
its because popular culture is pc so therefore it has bled over into our sacred activity of skateboarding.

TITANIUM NIPPLES

• Rep: -5
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2019, 02:30:07 PM »
But wait, I thought skating was always super inclusive, you know, everyone is welcome?

But no, you guys are right: PC CULTURE HAS INFECTED SKATEBOARDING!!! IT'S A BUDDHIST PEACE SYMBOL!
WHO CARES WHAT JASON JESSEE DID 30 YEARS AGO! OR YESTERDAY, AS LONG AS I CAN STILL BE A CRACKER PIECE OF SHIT "TOUGH GUY" IT'S ALL GOOD, BRAHHHHHHH.

ohhyess

• Rep: -43
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2019, 02:37:20 PM »
But wait, I thought skating was always super inclusive, you know, everyone is welcome?

But no, you guys are right: PC CULTURE HAS INFECTED SKATEBOARDING!!! IT'S A BUDDHIST PEACE SYMBOL!
WHO CARES WHAT JASON JESSEE DID 30 YEARS AGO! OR YESTERDAY, AS LONG AS I CAN STILL BE A CRACKER PIECE OF SHIT "TOUGH GUY" IT'S ALL GOOD, BRAHHHHHHH.
it is super inclusive. at a bare minimum you should be able to ollie up a curb while moving and have a decent stationary kicklip/ heelflip. if not, you're out.

chris gentryfied

• Rep: -86
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2019, 02:43:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
it is super inclusive. at a bare minimum you should be able to ollie up a curb while moving and have a decent stationary kicklip/ heelflip. if not, you're out.
and push regular. fakie mongo? nobody will kick you out of bed for eating crackers but regular, use your back foot.

Htownlegend

• Rep: -63
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2019, 02:49:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Even if we pretend that everyone can get their first set-up for free, the idea that being a skateboarder is a fun low cost activity strikes me to be a stretch. I could simplify baseball to only being the cost of a bat, a ball and a glove, but we all know it costs more than that to actually play baseball.

1) Let's pretend there is a kid who gets hand me down shit his whole time as a skater. Riding hand-me down shit forever isn't the same as getting new shit every now and again. It would take an extreme level of dedication to ride shit all the time. Also, it is going to take a pretty awesome scene/friends who are always down to offer hand-me-downs. I've only known one kid (who is now in his late 20s) who has pushed through riding garbage the majority of his time as a skater. He only got a new set-up when he parents let him keep a bit more of his paycheck, because it was his birthday. Not surprisingly, he is tech as fuck and never jumps down anything.

2) If we look at things needed just to maintain a decent set-up it gets expensive real fast. We need to replace the hard goods as they wear out and we need to regularly replace our shoes. "Expensive" is a relative term, but I look back at when I was spending $145 on skate goods each month (2 decks/grip at 40, a pair of shoes at 50, and we'll add in 15 to account for the random shit that wears out every now again such as bearings, bushings, or trucks) and I don't know where that money was coming from. Especially, because this doesn't even include the money I spent driving in circles, paying to get into the heated indoor park, and on garbage at the gas station near the park/spot.

3) A skater who only goes through 2 boards a year, isn't really skating that often (unless they are like 8 years old). Hell, this is my first year where I've had a board longer than 3 months and I don't really feel like a skater anymore.

4) This only covers the basics to actually ride a skateboard. Riding a skateboard is completely different than being a part of the scene and being a skater. I know lots of people who own skateboards, few of them are actually skaters. Once we get into actually being part of the scene the overall financial costs and especially time costs increase. Cellphone footage and online videos have made things a bit more accessible compared to when I was at my peak, but now that I'm an adult and I have to save for a downpayment on a home, save for retirement, pay $500 a month for health insurance, pay for rent, etc. I look at all the money I was spending jumping around a skateboard while making minimum wage and realize what a fucking luxury that was and how lucky I was to have parents who could pay for my necessities and allow me to fuck around.

Seriously, that dude clearly doesnt skate. A free setup from the homies? Yeah okay, unless you steal it.

Decks and shoes are what I go through the most and I'd say I spend over $100 every month just on that. Then every few months I buy new wheels, and trucks, hardware. I never really buy bearings because I ride bones swiss. But still, this shit all adds up when you skate a lot and it definitely will put a dent on your wallet. For me shoes are the real killer because I like skating simple ass shoes like slip ons but they wear out ridiculously fast. So that's easily two pairs a month

drunkenshredder

• Rep: -135
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2019, 10:16:42 PM »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2019, 01:22:43 PM »
Skateboarding became more PC with the rise of social media and the decline of the traditional skate media.....sorry were you looking for the real answer? 

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2019, 04:43:26 PM »
Skating has always had people getting called out for acting like douches.

Was it ‘PC policing’ when Duffel got shit on for calling Stevie a ‘trashy nigger’?

I mean, when can’t a 16-year old Mormon kid speak his mind without getting harassed by SWJs?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2019, 06:06:48 PM »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

mrs.sarathe1

• Rep: -5
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2019, 12:25:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Come on.

no im not defending nazis
[close]
pussy. starting out on defense? why even start?

i'll tell you why. skateboarding is headquartered in California, a massively estrogenic part of northern mexico. so shitlibs have brainwashed all the sterile men out there who are further feminized by all the weed smoking.

its a shame really. there was a time when California was the land of masculine White men who would have beaten faggots like BA and tranny freaks like lacey baker to hell. they damn sure wouldnt give a fuck about JJ being proud to be White, the same way all you brown people are proud of that.

now you have a bunch of whiny feminine soyboys and mexican sissies that whine about things people said once that hurt their feelings. WAAAAAAHHHHH!!! im surprised no one has pitched a fit about the lack of transexuals on the nine club yet. im guessing jenkem hasnt gotten around to it yet.

MAKE SKATEBOARDING MASCULINE AGAIN

This is the correct take
Shalom.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2019, 12:26:29 PM »
Yesterday.

chump91

• Rep: -8
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2019, 01:19:26 PM »
PC / SWJ culture is cancer and destroys culture through shaming and authoritarian means. Fuck'em.

ModernWarfare

• Rep: -10
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2019, 03:05:14 PM »
YES, MAKE SKATEBOARDING MASCULINE AGAIN.

Skateboarding is not about being a dude dressing like a girl and sucking cock. Its become all about being praised on the internet for being a kook or a fag. Not my skateboarding.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

pussy. starting out on defense? why even start?

i'll tell you why. skateboarding is headquartered in California, a massively estrogenic part of northern mexico. so shitlibs have brainwashed all the sterile men out there who are further feminized by all the weed smoking.

its a shame really. there was a time when California was the land of masculine White men who would have beaten faggots like BA and tranny freaks like lacey baker to hell. they damn sure wouldnt give a fuck about JJ being proud to be White, the same way all you brown people are proud of that.

now you have a bunch of whiny feminine soyboys and mexican sissies that whine about things people said once that hurt their feelings. WAAAAAAHHHHH!!! im surprised no one has pitched a fit about the lack of transexuals on the nine club yet. im guessing jenkem hasnt gotten around to it yet.

MAKE SKATEBOARDING MASCULINE AGAIN
[close]

This is the correct take
[close]

batmanreturns

• Rep: -4
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2019, 03:17:59 PM »
This is how bad things have gotten here... I called spanish people spanish, then some other looser acted like that was disrespectful and that they should be called hispanic. And then gassy clay (aka pigeon, I believe) comes in with the kill and says that actually they should be reffered to as latinX... being completly fucking serious. Lol I dunno man people are just fucking completely lost nowdays.

batmanreturns

• Rep: -4
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »
This is how bad things have gotten here... I called spanish people spanish, then some other looser acted like that was disrespectful and that they should be called hispanic. And then gassy clay (aka pigeon, I believe) comes in with the kill and says that actually they should be reffered to as latinX... being completly fucking serious. Lol I dunno man people are just fucking completely lost nowdays.
But also you trump nut swangers are fuckin loosers too and make things worse, and I voted for that nigga.

Just when will all the bullshit end?

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »
I believe that:

1. Skateboadring is a male sport,and on average men do it better than women and it's cool for women to try out men's activities too.

2. Boys who think they're girls and vice versa are just mentally ill and people play along trying to be nice like some of charity or make a wish kinda thing.

3. Biologically there are only two genders XX chromosomes and XY chromosomes (it's science sorry) if you feel or think something else that has to do with mental health.

4. It's not a crime being gay but what's normal is straight sex. Male and female sexual organs are created for each other and is the only way to reproduce normally.

I know these will have some people going crazy but it's only the truth 

Everyone should be whatever the fuck they want to be though without any kind of harassment but to try and change facts, teach lies or attack people with different ideas that's fascism AKA PC culture.

Merlin

• Rep: -52
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2019, 06:03:01 PM »
Skateboarding isn't PC, we got BA and brands pushing random girls forcefully but that's it, no one really gives a fuck about this stuff. The Jason Jesse bit was just well deserved, most people usually don't like nazis and if you pay attention, skateboarding still gave him a chance, in most places he'd be way worse that he is now.

We got BA, fuck off! I love the guy, but he’s making millions of being gay. You should find a better example

Classy Durag

• Rep: 62
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2019, 09:07:06 PM »

PC = Pussy Crusher

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 656
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2019, 10:40:09 PM »
I believe that...I know these will have some people going crazy but it's only the truth 
I can't tell if this is satire or if you are for real. Do you seriously believe what you wrote in your post?

Pretending you actually believe the shit you posted:

1. This jock version of skateboarding bums me out. Forrest was the most talented dude on OIAM, but he didn't win because he was the absolute worst skater. Skateboarding is way more than simply counting the number of stairs someone can jump down.

2. Are you talking about gender dysphoria? (https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/gender-dysphoria/what-is-gender-dysphoria)

3. Your belief that there is no other option other than XY or XX is false. Roughly, 1.7% of births result in intersex children. Not to mention that there are people who are born XXY (Klinefelter), X (Turner), XYY, XXX, and XXYY. There is spectrum for biological sex just as there is a spectrum for gender. It isn't a simple dichotomy (see https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/fausto-sterling/ https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/21a4/4d10b40354a974c8d1d3a9a0e66fef731e75.pdf)

4. I think your definition of "normal" is going to fuck up my sex life. Reproduction is one aspect of sex, but only a part. My interest in having sex has nothing to do with children, in fact, some of the women I most want to have sex with are women who I think would be terrible mothers. If it was all about raising children my body should physically react to social cues that a particular woman is a terrible mother just as my body physically reacts to the the dude with the meth pipe and the Famous Stars and Straps hat. Also, if we view two dudes or two ladies having a good time as "unnatural," we also have to view post-menopausal women having sex as "unnatural." Most sex going on in the world at this second isn't for the sake of popping out another child.

Also, having kids today is an economic drain on a family. We don't live in an agrarian society where we need 50 kids to do labor on the farm nor do we need back-ups because they are going to die of small-pox or polio. Children actually reduce our immediate ability to survive since they are so fucking expensive and we have to dedicate a lot of non-productive time to raising them and prepping them for the ultra competitive/specialized capitalist market.

Finally, I don't know where you got your definition of fascism, but it is absurd. Authoritarianism can occur on the right and the left (see fascist Spain, Portugal, Italy, or Germany and Russia's Communism), just as extreme liberty can occur on the right and the left (see libertarianism and anarchism... sadly, neither of these ideologies work well in practice). Fascism is a distinctly right-wing form of capitalist-authoritarianism.

(Orwell wrote a fair amount about fascism and risked his life to fight against it in Spain https://www.google.com/books/edition/George_Orwell_An_age_like_this_1920_1940/0j2qODEJkdoC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=it+is+futile+to+be+anti-fascist+while+attempting+to+preserve+capitalism&pg=PA284&printsec=frontcover ).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:49:32 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2019, 05:05:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah, but what generates all the other associated costs in baseball and most other sports, is the fact that they are centered around being part of a league and attending scheduled practices and games. These two factors (1.some sort of upfront cost to be in a league, and 2. having to maintain a schedule for the activity) are going to be the most prohibitive factors to a lot of families. Not saying that skating is the cheapest thing you could do, but the fact that it isn't organized makes it more universally accessible than a lot of other activities. A parent can give their kid a skateboard for christmas and feel like that's a good gift, there's no expectation that they will have to keep participating in the kid's development as a skater.
What you say about fitting in at the skateshop is true, it won't be easy or happen for everyone, but by the time I was old enough to go to a shop and be riding around in cars, I'd learned how to skate well enough to be a part of what was going on. With league play there are so many other factors, including a lot of behavioral stuff. You need your parents permission to travel to games, you need to be able to get along with coaches and be told what to do. These things will be prohibitive mostly to kids from backgrounds that have not prepared them to be as socially adaptive ie. poorer kids.
You make a lot of good points, but overall I think the less structured nature of skateboarding makes it far more accessible than most comparable activities.