Author Topic: Uncommon “perfect board” sizes  (Read 11447 times)

Halfcab180

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
Uncommon “perfect board” sizes
« on: March 08, 2019, 11:55:06 AM »
Does anyone else notice that their perfect board size is relatively uncommon? Through years of trial, I’ve found that an 8.5 board with a 14.25 wheelbase is perfect for me. Not long enough to be sluggish, and wide enough to feel stable. Not too many companies seem to have that specific dimension in regular rotation. Not a complaint, I’ve always been able to find something. Just wondering if anyone feels like their “perfect board” can be hard to track down.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
Re: Uncommon “perfect board” sizes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 12:23:51 PM »
I wrote down the perfect dimensions on a post it note and lost it and it's been haunting me for about 4 years now

Ty evans hanes tee

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 12:55:16 PM »
Every 8.5 is just starting to feel the same to me now

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 01:11:30 PM »
Generator runs multiple types of 8.125 shapes including one with longer wheelbase and one with shorter wheelbase. For a while the one with shorter wheelbase was my perfect deck, but for some reason I could never skate the one with longer wheelbase despite it also being a 8.125, I guess due to me being short in height but still it's weird as it's the only instance I can recall where wheelbase would actually fuck with me (I usually try not to think too much about specs), and throw a lot of my tricks off. Sometimes I'd accidentally get the wrong deck and feel like shit missing every other trick for two months, then as soon as I'd get the shorter one again everything would be back to normal like said two months never even happened.

I resolved the issue by switching back to 8.25 only to realize I liked those even better than the shorter 8.125's, and all the Generator 8.25's I've skated all had that perfect shape type of feel to me too to the point where I just trust them unconditionally now.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:14:03 PM by silhouette »

Halfcab180

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 01:33:43 PM »
Generator runs multiple types of 8.125 shapes including one with longer wheelbase and one with shorter wheelbase. For a while the one with shorter wheelbase was my perfect deck, but for some reason I could never skate the one with longer wheelbase despite it also being a 8.125, I guess due to me being short in height but still it's weird as it's the only instance I can recall where wheelbase would actually fuck with me (I usually try not to think too much about specs), and throw a lot of my tricks off. Sometimes I'd accidentally get the wrong deck and feel like shit missing every other trick for two months, then as soon as I'd get the shorter one again everything would be back to normal like said two months never even happened.

I resolved the issue by switching back to 8.25 only to realize I liked those even better than the shorter 8.125's, and all the Generator 8.25's I've skated all had that perfect shape type of feel to me too to the point where I just trust them unconditionally now.

Similarly, before I realized that different boards had different wheelbases, I’d buy a board with a longer wheelbase and it would feel dead. Even 14.25+ wheelbases on narrower boards (8.375, 8.25) don’t feel quite right to me.

The 8.5 shape that PS Stix makes for Quasi, and one of the 8.5 shapes that Generator makes for Antihero have been my go-to shapes for the past couple years.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1955
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 01:39:10 PM »
I’ve never paid attention to wheelbase, but 8.38 is the board of wisemen.

Brguy

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 09:02:04 PM »
The perfect one for me was a Appleyard 8.125, long enough for me to flick at will, just the size for control/not being too heavy. They probably make shorter wheelbases, but every Element board I've put my feet on were really good at this aspect. I still rather pick a 8.25 because it's just more comfortable and easier to air and grab, plus it makes everything look better I think, especially when even 8.5s looks small to me in videos.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 01:19:51 AM »
DLX 8.5 x 32.5, 14.75 WB. I just straight up won’t ride anything else.
I’m 6’3 with disproportionately long legs.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »
  Symetrical popcical stick 9.75 wide with a 15.25 wb.  Ive been seeing peoples toy machine boards lately and those are amazing.  Perfect flatness perfect tail.  If i could get a toy board with those dims id be amped.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

the tranny monster

• Rep: -22
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 07:34:25 PM »
I found that I like boards with really short wheel bases but I ride 8.38/8.5 so it’s pretty rare to find that holy grail shape.

Htownlegend

• Rep: -63
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 07:52:30 AM »

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 08:37:58 AM »
8.3 Ishod Twin Tail is super good. Slightly shorter wheelbase and different nose/tail shape than what I’m used to but it works perfect for me. Had an 8.38 twin tail that felt just like an DLX 8.38 full but symmetrical and that was pretty nice too, even harder to find tho

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 08:17:50 PM »
I kept moving up sizes now I'm on a 9.2 Real TG board I don't know the wheelbase but it's not longer than my previous AntiHero which was 14.75 ... also a very good board was a Cliche 8.5 with a 14.25 WB I think but I can't find that size easily

Halfcab180

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 02:14:34 PM »
I found that I like boards with really short wheel bases but I ride 8.38/8.5 so it’s pretty rare to find that holy grail shape.

I feel that. DLX (for Anti Hero, maybe others) and PS Stix (for Quasi, maybe others) have 14.25" on 8.5". I'm sure it exists elsewhere, as Ziad mentioned, maybe someone other than Cliche, Anti Hero, and Quasi recognize the value of that shape.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 09:23:34 PM »
I dont remember the exact size. But I wanna say it was 7.75 x 31.63 that flip made back in the day. I remember I had that shape on an apple yard, then right after skated it again with a bastien graphic. Pretty sure it was just first board. Both the bastien and appleyard board were from the same series. It was called “8bit” they resembled old NES graphics. Anyway, it seems like they don’t make shapes like that anymore. Tshape was amazing! if only I could get those same specs, concave, nose, tail etc. and size it up to an 8, but keep the same wheelbase.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

SadandLonely

• Rep: -30
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 09:51:55 PM »
I like a blunt squareish shape in a size to 8.0 to 8.25 anything above that so get frustrated with because it feels to big. I don’t know anything about wheel base but I wish I did.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 10:09:28 PM »
Does anyone else notice that their perfect board size is relatively uncommon? Through years of trial, I’ve found that an 8.5 board with a 14.25 wheelbase is perfect for me. Not long enough to be sluggish, and wide enough to feel stable. Not too many companies seem to have that specific dimension in regular rotation. Not a complaint, I’ve always been able to find something. Just wondering if anyone feels like their “perfect board” can be hard to track down.

I’m pretty sure orchard shop boards have that wheel base.

I had an alien board last winter. I didn’t know it was a collectors one said something about art on the top or whatever.
It had a screen grab from memory screen. The  🇺🇳 and  🇺🇸 with two people in gas masks under the flags like a tent.

It was the best shape I’ve had in my life. Was an 8.5

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 03:40:07 AM »
My current deck is an Evisen 7.875" x 31.375" WB: 14".

Its pretty fucking great so far. Some 7.875s are a bit longer, this one is just perfect.

SadandLonely

• Rep: -30
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 07:32:57 AM »
My current deck is an Evisen 7.875" x 31.375" WB: 14".

Its pretty fucking great so far. Some 7.875s are a bit longer, this one is just perfect.
whats the shortest wheelbase you could get on the market?

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 01:17:46 PM »
7.75 is uncommon to find today. I wear size 8 but 7 n a half for skateboarding. I've had girlfriends jealous of my tiny feet  ;)

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 02:41:58 PM »
uh yes, 7.5 width.

when I find em I have to buy as many as I can at a time.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2019, 04:14:26 PM »
I've only successfully skated boards 8.5+/14.5+, as I'm 6'2" w size 12 sneakers, so if I'm walking into my shop I usually walk out with a krooked or antihero regardless of whatever I was looking for

Expand Quote
[close]

I feel that. DLX (for Anti Hero, maybe others) and PS Stix (for Quasi, maybe others) have 14.25" on 8.5". I'm sure it exists elsewhere, as Ziad mentioned, maybe someone other than Cliche, Anti Hero, and Quasi recognize the value of that shape.
Baker does a ton of boards at those dim. FA/Hockey also
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 04:22:27 PM »
mini logo has a 7.5x28.65 deck with a 12.25" wheelbase
i skate 7.75s and the shortest wheelbase i can find is 13.88"

i would say the ideal dimensions for me is 7.75x30 with a 13.5" wheelbase. never skated such a board but it sounds good. don't know much about tail and nose lengths

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2019, 11:27:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
mini logo has a 7.5x28.65 deck with a 12.25" wheelbase
i skate 7.75s and the shortest wheelbase i can find is 13.88"

i would say the ideal dimensions for me is 7.75x30 with a 13.5" wheelbase. never skated such a board but it sounds good. don't know much about tail and nose lengths

sounds like a alien/habitat shape circa 00-05
had an alien AVE board that was 7.5x30.75, smallest board I ever rode.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Crack Whore

• Rep: -16
  • no double on the midnight menu
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 12:08:11 AM »
early 2000 flips were so good
All you shiteating faggots saying i cant ollie need to shut the fuck up. Of course i can ollie, im just critiquing the brail skateboarding video where the guy says to pop straight up.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 11:24:48 PM »
8.5 x 32.25 works like a charm for me.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Black Frycook

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »
9 inch popsicle for life

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 03:59:23 PM »
9 inch popsicle for life

For real? Just sized up to an 8.75 and am considering trying a 9.

southphillytapwater

• Rep: 32
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2019, 05:25:55 PM »
I'm lucky and found that 8.25" x 14.25" is perfect for me. A very standard size.

My friend rides 8.5" x 14", which a find very odd. I don't even think he pays attention to wheelbase, that's just what Chophouse sends him. I bought a board off him once and worried about it being 14.5", and then was very shocked to see it was only 14". They're chodes.

Black Frycook

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2019, 05:40:57 AM »
Expand Quote
9 inch popsicle for life
[close]

For real? Just sized up to an 8.75 and am considering trying a 9.

Yeah go for it dawg I rode 8.5-8.75 for a long time and I moved up to a 9 a couple years ago. It was kinda weird at first but it actually improved my flip tricks a lot, I think it just feels safer having a wider surface to catch tricks