Author Topic: Microsoft buys Activision/Blizzard for $68.7 BILLION cash  (Read 755 times)

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
Microsoft buys Activision/Blizzard for $68.7 BILLION cash
« on: January 18, 2022, 09:52:13 AM »
Xbox not fucking around this gen. They also own the Tony Hawk, Spyro, and Crash IP's

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/

GamePass subscribers EATING

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
Re: Microsoft buys Activision/Blizzard for $68.7 BILLION cash
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 10:44:01 AM »
Xbox not fucking around this gen. They also own the Tony Hawk, Spyro, and Crash IP's

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/

GamePass subscribers EATING

Lol how is candy crush getting thrown in there

Theme For A Jackal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 12:50:32 PM »
Awful news, the console wars to come are going to be the bloodiest. Really unfortunate state the gaming industry is heading towards... all third party developers getting bought up and churning out exclusives, developers stuffing NFTs into games, scalpers controlling the new console market... pretty shit time to be a gamer.

Don't get me wrong there's a lot of good stuff out there and GamePass is great for it's subscribers but long term it's going to do a lot of harm, Microsoft is taking an L on it just to buy up the market share but they can't keep paying AAA development costs just to put their games out for free (I know GamePass isn't free but that $10 per month isn't doing shit when games like Halo Infinite cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make and Microsoft is spending $70 billion on IP just to throw the games on GamePass). They're hoping that enough people will drop off Playstation and switch to Xbox that it'll profit in the long run but it's going to hurt everyone for the time being.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 05:14:57 PM »
Phil do be throwing haymakers though lol.

The biggest positive in all these acquisitions are that 1st party devs now have a much deeper pool of dormant IP they can pull from. For example, the team who made Crash Bandicoot 4 could work on a proper Banjo-Kazooie sequel if they wanted to.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 05:25:47 PM »
Get ready for more downloadable content, NFT exclusives, and unfinished games.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 07:35:05 PM »
Awful news, the console wars to come are going to be the bloodiest. Really unfortunate state the gaming industry is heading towards... all third party developers getting bought up and churning out exclusives, developers stuffing NFTs into games, scalpers controlling the new console market... pretty shit time to be a gamer.

Don't get me wrong there's a lot of good stuff out there and GamePass is great for it's subscribers but long term it's going to do a lot of harm, Microsoft is taking an L on it just to buy up the market share but they can't keep paying AAA development costs just to put their games out for free (I know GamePass isn't free but that $10 per month isn't doing shit when games like Halo Infinite cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make and Microsoft is spending $70 billion on IP just to throw the games on GamePass). They're hoping that enough people will drop off Playstation and switch to Xbox that it'll profit in the long run but it's going to hurt everyone for the time being.
They are betting on winning the cloud gaming war, and controlling the subscription marketplace like Netflix did in the early days of streaming. This is about getting people in the Xbox ecosystem. They don't care about console sales. Hell, the margins on consoles are quite small. It's about getting people dependent on gamepass than upping the price eventually (hence all the very favorable offers to get you on it).

It is absolutely not good at all for the health of the overall gaming. And, it wouldn't shock me if this leads to more microtransactions in AAA games and more DLCs which aren't covered under gamepass/less finished products.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 10:53:36 PM »
Fucking garbage anyway.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 01:04:49 AM »
Bill Gates on cube-crawls

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 06:37:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They are betting on winning the cloud gaming war, and controlling the subscription marketplace like Netflix did in the early days of streaming. This is about getting people in the Xbox ecosystem. They don't care about console sales. Hell, the margins on consoles are quite small. It's about getting people dependent on gamepass than upping the price eventually (hence all the very favorable offers to get you on it).

It is absolutely not good at all for the health of the overall gaming. And, it wouldn't shock me if this leads to more microtransactions in AAA games and more DLCs which aren't covered under gamepass/less finished products.

That's my exact point, you get people in the Xbox ecosystem by having them buy an Xbox (or build a gaming PC) and having exclusives pressures people to do that. You can't get people on Gamepass if they don't have a device for it, and moves like this increasingly force gamers to get on 'Xbox' the brand. I understand that console sales don't make profit but people who buy consoles buy games which does make profit, and Microsoft knows they can buy the market share of IP's and just wait it out at this point. If Call of Duty is only available on Xbox then people are going to get on Xbox whether they want to or not, when previously they probably would've got it on Playstation. Sony has had the console sales lead since PS4 which means the majority of third party software sales have been for Sony and not Xbox.

The problem Netflix has now is that they can't own all the IP's, they have too many rich competitors like Amazon and Warner Bros who all have their share, but by contrast Microsoft has far less serious competition in their field. Sony doesn't have near the money Microsoft does to buy up whole publishers like this, fortunately for now they have a strong stable of beloved IP's and solid first party developers but it's going to get rough for them if Microsoft continues to spend like this. Another deal of this size could buy them countless big devs and publishers.

For example, look at the market cap for these other big studios:
-EA: $38B
-Take Two: $18B
-Nexon: $15B
-Bandai Namco: $15B
-Embracer: $10.8B
-Netmarble $7B
-Ubisoft: $7B
-Konami: $6B
-Square Enix: $5.6B
-Capcom: $4.9B
-Sega: $3.6B

Now look at Microsoft and Sony's market caps:
-Microsoft: $2.343 Trillion
-Sony: $148.86 Billion

Another 70 billion dollar deal and Microsoft could own the majority of these (I understand Market Cap doesn't mean that that's what these companies are worth or what they would sell for, just using for reference). I'm not a console fanboy by any means I just don't like seeing any on competitor get too strong like this, I want a nice balanced gaming ecosystem.

I absolutely agree that this will be bad for everyone in the long run, there's no way Microsoft doesn't continue to try to squeeze more money out of Gamepass subscribers once they've got them by the balls.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 06:59:38 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 07:02:40 AM »
Get ready for more downloadable content, NFT exclusives, and unfinished games.

Dont forget new sexual harassment cases and an increase in bro-staff

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 08:19:12 AM »
I wonder if this'll sour MLB The Show being on Xbox again next year since it's a Sony title.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 08:25:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That's my exact point, you get people in the Xbox ecosystem by having them buy an Xbox (or build a gaming PC) and having exclusives pressures people to do that. You can't get people on Gamepass if they don't have a device for it, and moves like this increasingly force gamers to get on 'Xbox' the brand. I understand that console sales don't make profit but people who buy consoles buy games which does make profit, and Microsoft knows they can buy the market share of IP's and just wait it out at this point. If Call of Duty is only available on Xbox then people are going to get on Xbox whether they want to or not, when previously they probably would've got it on Playstation. Sony has had the console sales lead since PS4 which means the majority of third party software sales have been for Sony and not Xbox.

The problem Netflix has now is that they can't own all the IP's, they have too many rich competitors like Amazon and Warner Bros who all have their share, but by contrast Microsoft has far less serious competition in their field. Sony doesn't have near the money Microsoft does to buy up whole publishers like this, fortunately for now they have a strong stable of beloved IP's and solid first party developers but it's going to get rough for them if Microsoft continues to spend like this. Another deal of this size could buy them countless big devs and publishers.

-Netmarble $7B

Another 70 billion dollar deal and Microsoft could own the majority of these (I understand Market Cap doesn't mean that that's what these companies are worth or what they would sell for, just using for reference). I'm not a console fanboy by any means I just don't like seeing any on competitor get too strong like this, I want a nice balanced gaming ecosystem.

I absolutely agree that this will be bad for everyone in the long run, there's no way Microsoft doesn't continue to try to squeeze more money out of Gamepass subscribers once they've got them by the balls.

You can get gamepass on your phone or tablet and it actually works really well. The barrier of entry to get on Xbox’s ecosystem is probably the lowest and most varied.

They kinda fucked Sony up with this one, because even if they still let Call of Duty on PS5. Telling a casual gamer that they can play it on their iPhone, computer, web browser, Xbox, or android tablet for a 10.00-15.00 subscription instead of 70.00 flat is a very easy sell.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:20:42 AM by Lenny the Fatface »

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 10:01:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

-Netmarble $7B

[close]

You can get gamepass on your phone or tablet and it actually works really well. The barrier of entry to get on Xbox’s ecosystem is probably the lowest and most carried.

They kinda fucked Sony up with this one, because even if they still let Call of Duty on PS5. Telling a casual gamer that they can play it on their iPhone, computer, web browser, Xbox, or android tablet for 10-15 subscription instead of 70.00 flat is a very easy sell.

I don't think the majority of people are going to be content playing major games like this on their phone or tablet but it is still pretty cool that you have the option. Personally I'd rather not even bother than try to play a first person shooter on my phone, if it was an RPG or something than maybe.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:28:24 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

deathturd

• Rep: 88
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 07:09:05 PM »
Microsoft and Activision's 68.7 billion is still meaningless compared to Neversoft's 1,200.00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFHKEATnmB4

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 11:45:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

-Netmarble $7B

[close]

You can get gamepass on your phone or tablet and it actually works really well. The barrier of entry to get on Xbox’s ecosystem is probably the lowest and most carried.

They kinda fucked Sony up with this one, because even if they still let Call of Duty on PS5. Telling a casual gamer that they can play it on their iPhone, computer, web browser, Xbox, or android tablet for 10-15 subscription instead of 70.00 flat is a very easy sell.
[close]

I don't think the majority of people are going to be content playing major games like this on their phone or tablet but it is still pretty cool that you have the option. Personally I'd rather not even bother than try to play a first person shooter on my phone, if it was an RPG or something than maybe.
Competitive multiplayer FPS games still have way too much input lag. Obviously, as we go forward that will improve.

But, let's put it this way. If Microsoft continues to consolidate the market along with companies like Tencent and Embracer Group, they will wait until they gain a massive subscriber base dependent on them and then sharply raise prices. Remember how great Netflix was for like 7 bucks a month in 2012. Now see what it costs now per month with less content. And Microsoft likely won't have viable competitors to the extent ones emerged against Netflix since there are maybe 3 other companies in the world with the cloud computing capabilities of MS, and they are the only one with a massive stake in gaming.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 06:58:31 AM »
Microsoft is a western company. They just bought a bunch of western devs. They're clearly going for that market, or Japanese devs are too smart and protective of their IPs to sell to stupid westerners. Starcraft is super popular in Korea, but other than that they have a bunch of FPS and western RPGs.

Sony is a Japanese company which also has a huge global presence both on the consumer level but also on the business level. They will keep that Japanese "mainstream" market going. Did Microsoft manage to buy From Software, or SquareEnix, or Capcom, or even smaller companies that have diehard fans like ArcSys or SNK? These super Japanese devs will likely never sell to westerners, Japanese people just don't do business that way historically.

Nintendo is a Japanese company that has huge global saturation on a consumer level, but most business is done primarily in their home offices. They are able to stick primarily with their 1st party games and have found their niche there.

These are 3 VERY different companies and I'd say they have very different customers, even more-so with what it seems like Microsoft is trying to accomplish. The only reason I'd think of buying an Xbox is to play a new Elder Scrolls or Fallout game, but, honestly, I just started playing Fallout 4 and it's not even close to as good at Fallout 3 or New Vegas, so I'd probably be happy with sticking with Playstation.

This acquisition is showing Microsoft's hand a little bit, it's a bit of a big bluff. Looks like a power play on paper, but they mostly bought several dying IPs, I guess hoping that the player base will return to games like COD as if it were the early 2010s.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 07:31:06 AM by beatifk »

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 10:27:40 AM »
Microsoft is a western company. They just bought a bunch of western devs. They're clearly going for that market, or Japanese devs are too smart and protective of their IPs to sell to stupid westerners. Starcraft is super popular in Korea, but other than that they have a bunch of FPS and western RPGs.

Sony is a Japanese company which also has a huge global presence both on the consumer level but also on the business level. They will keep that Japanese "mainstream" market going. Did Microsoft manage to buy From Software, or SquareEnix, or Capcom, or even smaller companies that have diehard fans like ArcSys or SNK? These super Japanese devs will likely never sell to westerners, Japanese people just don't do business that way historically.

Nintendo is a Japanese company that has huge global saturation on a consumer level, but most business is done primarily in their home offices. They are able to stick primarily with their 1st party games and have found their niche there.

These are 3 VERY different companies and I'd say they have very different customers, even more-so with what it seems like Microsoft is trying to accomplish. The only reason I'd think of buying an Xbox is to play a new Elder Scrolls or Fallout game, but, honestly, I just started playing Fallout 4 and it's not even close to as good at Fallout 3 or New Vegas, so I'd probably be happy with sticking with Playstation.

This acquisition is showing Microsoft's hand a little bit, it's a bit of a big bluff. Looks like a power play on paper, but they mostly bought several dying IPs, I guess hoping that the player base will return to games like COD as if it were the early 2010s.

From Soft, Square Enix and Camcom aren't anywhere near the size of Activison Blizzard, though. I agree with and put hope in the idea that Japanese developers will continue to exist and work as third parties but none of them are anywhere near the scale Activision Blizzard are in terms of units sold and worldwide popularity.

Nintendo certainly has a different customer base than the other two but I think you're oversimplifying things by pretending that Sony and Xbox have different consumer groups, we've seen the majority gaming populous flip back and forth between them between generations. Sure, Sony does more JRPGS than Xbox, but they make more selling a single Call of Duty iteration then they do on 5 From Software games (even though I prefer a Souls game personally)

Activision/Blizzard's IP's are only 'dying' because they've failed to get new games out but the brands are still beloved so all Microsoft has to do is manage to get new games in the franchise out and they're going to sell.

This single deal is not a death knell for Sony by any means but this in conjunction with the Bethesda deal is setting a tone for what Microsoft is trying to accomplish and that's what worries me. Sony is a Japanese company but they're dependent on the market outside of Japan to sustain them at this level. Their total parent company worth is a small fraction of Microsoft's.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 10:37:43 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 01:09:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

From Soft, Square Enix and Camcom aren't anywhere near the size of Activison Blizzard, though. I agree with and put hope in the idea that Japanese developers will continue to exist and work as third parties but none of them are anywhere near the scale Activision Blizzard are in terms of units sold and worldwide popularity.

Nintendo certainly has a different customer base than the other two but I think you're oversimplifying things by pretending that Sony and Xbox have different consumer groups, we've seen the majority gaming populous flip back and forth between them between generations. Sure, Sony does more JRPGS than Xbox, but they make more selling a single Call of Duty iteration then they do on 5 From Software games (even though I prefer a Souls game personally)

Activision/Blizzard's IP's are only 'dying' because they've failed to get new games out but the brands are still beloved so all Microsoft has to do is manage to get new games in the franchise out and they're going to sell.

This single deal is not a death knell for Sony by any means but this in conjunction with the Bethesda deal is setting a tone for what Microsoft is trying to accomplish and that's what worries me. Sony is a Japanese company but they're dependent on the market outside of Japan to sustain them at this level. Their total parent company worth is a small fraction of Microsoft's.
It'd be very difficult for Microsoft to buy a whole gaming publisher from Japan due to regulatory laws there. They did acquire Tango Gameworks in the Bethesda deal, but that's just a developer.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 08:16:33 AM »
Kotick was trying to sell regardless and IMO it's better that Microsoft purchase them before Facebook, Amazon, Google, or Tencent Netflix is trying to enter the space too

The Bethesda acquisition already made Google tuck their chain in when it came to the gaming industry, and Stadia is all but dead at this point. I actually expect Amazon to get more aggressive with their Luna service and predict that they will make the next "big" acquisition