Author Topic: who has/had best life in skateboarding?  (Read 7273 times)

shalominator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
Re: who has/had best life in skateboarding?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2019, 09:11:53 PM »
Terry Kennedy. No explanation needed - shalom

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2019, 09:33:06 PM »
It all depends on how you define success.

I gotta think for someone who seemed to always do things in there way and stayed true to themselves but had massive success, I gotta think of Stefan. The guy helped design his own shoe which has become a go-to style for one of the largest shoe companies in the world.

Someone like Louie Barletta always seems to have a smile on his face and loving life. Basically succeded on a brand that was all local homies with a few outsiders. Can't think of anyone with a bad thing to say about him.

Dyrdek obviously seems to have done really well financially for a skater. He also had a really cool time coming up, I'm sure the Alien house was something else.

I gotta say though. I really think the path of someone like DGKalis is awesome. He was a part of so many influential skate scenes, traveled the world and seemed to embrace being part of different skate scenes (moving to different cities). From SF in the mid-90's, San Diego, Love, Barca, and Chicago.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 09:39:15 PM »
Obviously it's Busenitz. The guy is highly respected as a pro skater by everyone, not least by his peers. He has an extremely successful classic signature shoe on a giant company like Adidas. Hence he is set for life and will never have to work for a single day in his life. He basically swims in cash.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2019, 10:19:46 PM »
Expand Quote
rodney mullen - won so many contests but was never a top selling pro. went in to manufacturing, changed the game, and made money on nearly every skateboard sold by world industries and co. still ripping and still getting dwindle money. people who don't skate have no idea who he is.
[close]

are you joking? he's like the second most famous name drop in skater/non-skater conversations by non-skaters, after tony hawk. i can't count the times i had coworkers ask me if i know rodney mullen and how he must be the best skater because he casperslides and stuff.

I would say Jason Lee is the 2nd for non skaters maybe? Rodney a closing in from third. Unless everyone thinks his name is Earl?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2019, 10:29:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
rodney mullen - won so many contests but was never a top selling pro. went in to manufacturing, changed the game, and made money on nearly every skateboard sold by world industries and co. still ripping and still getting dwindle money. people who don't skate have no idea who he is.
[close]

are you joking? he's like the second most famous name drop in skater/non-skater conversations by non-skaters, after tony hawk. i can't count the times i had coworkers ask me if i know rodney mullen and how he must be the best skater because he casperslides and stuff.
[close]

I would say Jason Lee is the 2nd for non skaters maybe? Rodney a closing in from third. Unless everyone thinks his name is Earl?
The big difference between someone like Jason Lee, and Rodney, is that Jason's fame isn't because he's a skateboarder. I bet the average person who would know Jason Lee, would not know that he was a professional skateboarder. Rodney is probably the most well-known because of things that are entirely skate related. He got his break in acting though through skating (Spike hiring him for a Sonic Youth video).

Bam would also be up there. Similar as Lee, but he's really well known due to things outside of skateboarding, but unlike Lee, everyone knew he was a skater.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2019, 10:55:44 PM »
Kirchart, dude skated hard, became one of the most respected pros by his peers.Then bowed out gracefully.  I assume he invested his money well and now he is crossing some very gnarly items off of his bucket list, basically doing whatever he wants.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 11:19:29 PM »
Bam would also be up there. Similar as Lee, but he's really well known due to things outside of skateboarding, but unlike Lee, everyone knew he was a skater.

where i live, no one under 30 knows who bam is, not even the skaters.

jason lee is virtually unknown, at least by name. some know him as the dude from(insert kevin smith movie/earl). i'd say he is a pretty low tier actor, anyone who has watched video days knows the dude was pro, that's about it. which means that most people that know him are skaters.

rodney mullen tho is fairly well known, most people that ever had some remote interest in skating or skateboard video games seem to know about him and that he invented a lot of tricks or concepts of skating we use nowadays.

back on topic, i am nominating lucas puig. i don't know how he feels about his life but whenever i see a clip of him skating he looks content and comfortable.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
  • the moon rules
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2019, 11:59:12 PM »
I’ve never heard anyone say a bad thing about Frank Gerwer. Everyone loves him
fuck you bama

AngryPetesDonkeyWanktury

• Rep: -5
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2019, 12:43:01 AM »
leticia's insta always looks like shes having a blast Skating/wakeboarding/gym/pool/hanging

guest1

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2019, 12:59:04 AM »
Tony Hawk by a mile.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2019, 01:11:06 AM »
Tony Hawk by a mile.
exactly...dude got a check for $4M just off one of the video games and is worth north of 100M and still going.

breakingthewaves

• Rep: -4
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2019, 06:45:43 AM »
chad muska - ripped hard, became a style icon, was in video games and had some memorable video parts and a truly epic day in the life segment. now lives his dream life as an artist on his own terms. still gets out skating.
You and your fucking radio

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2019, 06:46:25 AM »
Gonz seems pretty content with life.

Gonz has had his post pro life kinda handed to him. Killed it, chilled it.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2019, 07:02:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Tony Hawk by a mile.
[close]
exactly...dude got a check for $4M just off one of the video games and is worth north of 100M and still going.

Yeah but he has to pay his ex-wives.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2019, 12:10:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Tony Hawk by a mile.
[close]
[close]

Yeah but he has to pay his ex-wives.

Man I know nien club is frowned upon but I listened to riley’s interview and rog made an underhanded comment about that and I legitimately laughed out loud. No one addressed it. I’m sure Tony’s not sweating the payments, but it’s still hilarious.

On a serious note tony crushes it life wise and I respect his philanthropy.
Suns out, im going skating. chow

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -70
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2019, 12:19:06 PM »
Arto... There's not a skater on the planet who won't admit he's one of the gnarliest ever. Only guy I've never seen an ounce of hate for on slap.

EastKremer

• Rep: -63
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2019, 01:30:08 PM »
Jereme Rogers

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2019, 01:51:09 PM »
Penny seems to be universally adored and has been taken care of into his twilight years of pro-dom.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »
Not sure I can agree with Muska or Penny. Muska has had gnarly injury and it seems like drugs or something caught up with Penny.

Muska did just post himself ollie-ing a full on roof gap today so he must be feeling decent now though.

redwine

• Rep: 2
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2019, 02:30:34 PM »
Rocco or hawk for sure. I can see it end up being be one of these kids with the new money sponsors, red bull and shit. Other than that insert your favorite legend.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2019, 05:33:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
The big difference between someone like Jason Lee, and Rodney, is that Jason's fame isn't because he's a skateboarder. I bet the average person who would know Jason Lee, would not know that he was a professional skateboarder. Rodney is probably the most well-known because of things that are entirely skate related. He got his break in acting though through skating (Spike hiring him for a Sonic Youth video).

I thought mi vida loca was before 100%?

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2019, 08:36:11 PM »
Stefan Janoski. He was a top tier, generally loved pro for close to a decade and then struck a gold mine with his nike shoe. He'll never have to take skating too seriously anymore and certainly not get a job.

Powerslide

• Rep: -28
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2019, 08:46:19 PM »
Arto... There's not a skater on the planet who won't admit he's one of the gnarliest ever. Only guy I've never seen an ounce of hate for on slap.

Arto Saari is like 100% pure skateboarding consciousness.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2019, 08:47:10 PM »

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2019, 10:05:48 PM »
ray barbee is awesome. he always looked pretty cool cruising down the street, jamming on the guitar, and shooting photos always with a good attitude. karl watson is pretty fucking cool too.

kenny reed has a amazing style and has experienced so much traveling. sure a lot of skaters have traveled but i think many just skate and party. so many cities more or less feel the same anyway. plus he's directing skatistan and its admirable to see hes helping communities through doing someting he loves.

patrik walner's travels and body of work are also impressive.

malto is able to live well as a pro skateboarder in his hometown.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2019, 12:07:57 AM »
Rocco, became filthy rich with world and is still filthy rich.

Rodney, well-respected in the entire skate world. Invented a lot of tricks.
Also became very rich with the whole World thing.

Hawk, was already very respected as a skater.
Became absolutely world famous after the whole videogame thing. Still rips.

P-Rod, the 2000's golden child. GReat skater, biggest nike sb contract to date. Sailed well with saint archer.
Owner of a succesful team.

Koston, extremely respected in the 90's.  Best sponsors out there, invested very well, part of the hawk videogame, chashing big checks from nike, never went with the whole drugs thing a lot of girl/menace guys were doing back then...

Janoski, his nike model out sold everything year after year... can't imagine he has to work ever again.

Dyrdek, was on the coolest brands of the 90's alien, dc, droors... then started his own company. Sure his things on MTV were cringe worthy. But when you make money and give back skateparks, buy back alien and actually give back an entire company to the guys that deserve it... than you're ok in my book no matter what a kook you've been on tv.

Caballero, must have gained a lot of cash with his vans shoe. Never was severly injured, still rips.

robby13

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2019, 12:56:41 AM »
Anyone with a Nike & energy drink sponsor

But srsly maybe someone like GT or Willis Kimbel.
•A1 sponsors
•well respected
•skating comes so natural since they’ve been doing it forever and sons of pros
•married

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -70
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2019, 05:25:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Meaning you missed all the credit card commercial sellout threads, I guess?

I remember skimming that thread when it first was posted,  but I havent checked it recently.  Was he catching alotnof hate?? My bad !!

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »
Bob Burnquist he's really living the Life right now ,huge check from Oakley and Nixon has won SOTY and got he's dreamland

Can't stop the Bob

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2019, 08:35:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Rodney Mullen is the greatest skater ever, PERIOD. You sound like one of these new school kids who would say LeBron is the GOAT. Sure he’s one of the greatest ever, but there ain’t no takin away what Jordan did. Rodney Mullen is the Jordan of the skate industry in terms of ability, Hawk would prolly fit jordan more in marketing/fame, but Mullen is the legit Jordan. He won every single contest for an entire decade minus one as a pro where he got second. Hawk lost at least 40% of his pro contests. It’s like comparing LeBron a championships at 3-6 to Jordan’s 6-0. As a matter of fact Rodney prolly transcends any other “athlete” on the planet. Not only did he have a contest record that beats ANYTHING in recorded professional American sports stats if u were to make this comparison. He also invented nearly 30-40% of skateboarding tricks, which would be like Michael Jordan being the first person to ever dunk and alley OOP as well. On top of that he invented numerous R&D shit that has paid off handsomely. Rodney Mullen is such a fucking anomaly, that u literally can’t make an analogy because that’s how great he fucking is. Like u can’t compare a single person in any other industry or whatever to Rodney Mullen, he is the goat, and that’s indisputable.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16