Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53920 times)

metsuri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #540 on: February 02, 2022, 11:25:33 PM »
Here's a homie video from Tampere Finland, with a Jaakko Ojanen street part, starting at 11:30. Of course that fucking guy kills it on a snowboard as well. The video is made by his brother Lauri. These dudes are skaters, thus a very skate-style vid.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #541 on: February 07, 2022, 01:42:44 PM »
So I got my redemption for missing out last week... Saw a crazy forecast for Roldal, a renowned powder pit a 9 hour drive away in Norway... Like a 130cm of fresh snow being expected in three days. Packed my bags on Tuesday and drove up Wednesday, and it's been four days of the absolutely deepest snow I've ridden. Been snowing constantly, so visibility was tricky, but there's some really nice forest runs that we've lapped all day, and then we hit the pow just next to the piste on the evenings when the lights came on... completely untracked every morning, hell, every other run almost... shit was wild. Lucky strike.

Check the place out on Google Maps, the nature is incredible: https://goo.gl/maps/z6ghefqeMxFmfaKd7

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #542 on: February 09, 2022, 12:32:25 AM »
That sounds like a perfect trip, sick!

The first time I went to the rockies it snowed 12-18 inches every single night. It was so insane. By the end of the week when we left there was ~10ft drifts on the side of the roads. It was like driving through a snow tunnel. I'll never forget that trip. I was still on skis those days.

I went up to my "local" mountain (2 hour drive) this weekend and while the conditions were quite awful (ice sheets with man-made snow lumps on top with some shady sections just having a layer of death cookies) I rode from 9-4 each day and had a blast just the same. The last 2 hours of Sunday I just focused on practicing riding switch (even taking the chair switch) which was a good rest for my legs and it made me feel like it was "worth it".

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #543 on: February 09, 2022, 07:04:41 PM »
@metsuri

Nice video. Reminds me of when my friends and I would hike hills and set up jumps.

I’ve been following this guy on Gnu Max Warbington. Him and his friends have skate style but they kinda stick to the woods. It’s pretty rad.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #544 on: February 11, 2022, 03:43:21 AM »
thought you guys might get a kick out of this....I found some old footy my dad shot of me and a friend in 93. I still had a ski onesie!   ;D

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #545 on: February 11, 2022, 08:06:36 AM »
That was so awesome. I wish I had video of me snowboarding back then. I wanted that board so bad!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #546 on: February 12, 2022, 12:26:27 AM »
That was so awesome. I wish I had video of me snowboarding back then. I wanted that board so bad!

thanks....if I remember right I bought that board off a rental shop that was switching to all hard boots, which was the norm in Europe back then. Stoked!    :P   anyways, yeah super glad to have that footy, thanks dad haha....I just wish I had some skate footage from that time too!

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #547 on: February 15, 2022, 05:07:35 AM »
Weird season here, owing to La Nina and Climate Change coming together in unholy matrimony. We had amazing early season run of snow in October, allowing Mammoth and Palisades to open early. Mammoth was able to stay open through a very meh and very dry November and Palisades had to close. Local resorts in SoCal werent really able to get going until December.
Then, at the end of the month, we had Deep-cember which was record setting and insane and was enough to even keep the local resorts fully open for the last 45 days when we've.....had zero snow. I guess this is the way now.

Took the day off and headed up to Bear Mtn this morning. I got the new Tony Hawk/K2 Party Platter. Fun ride. Were supposed to get 3-6 inches local today and the OpenSnow forecast says for the West Coast and NorCal more broadly a trough is finally moving in to break up this damn heat dome thing. It was 90 here for four straight days last week.

Headed to Mammoth on 2/25 for a few days with my dude crew, right now slight chance of minor snow. On 3/10 I am headed up to Blaise Rosenthal's bootcamp thing he's doing in Bear Valley. Three days of shredding with him, Corey Smith, Pat Bridges, and a few other special guests. Should be really neat.
ok thanks

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #548 on: February 15, 2022, 07:35:53 PM »
Weird season here, owing to La Nina and Climate Change coming together in unholy matrimony. We had amazing early season run of snow in October, allowing Mammoth and Palisades to open early. Mammoth was able to stay open through a very meh and very dry November and Palisades had to close. Local resorts in SoCal werent really able to get going until December.
Then, at the end of the month, we had Deep-cember which was record setting and insane and was enough to even keep the local resorts fully open for the last 45 days when we've.....had zero snow. I guess this is the way now.

Took the day off and headed up to Bear Mtn this morning. I got the new Tony Hawk/K2 Party Platter. Fun ride. Were supposed to get 3-6 inches local today and the OpenSnow forecast says for the West Coast and NorCal more broadly a trough is finally moving in to break up this damn heat dome thing. It was 90 here for four straight days last week.

Headed to Mammoth on 2/25 for a few days with my dude crew, right now slight chance of minor snow. On 3/10 I am headed up to Blaise Rosenthal's bootcamp thing he's doing in Bear Valley. Three days of shredding with him, Corey Smith, Pat Bridges, and a few other special guests. Should be really neat.

What size party platter? How you like it?

I was gonna buy a 152 PP but went with a 155 Marhar Lumber Jack. Volume shift is so great. Definitely feels more like skateboarding.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #549 on: February 15, 2022, 09:28:27 PM »
Love my Party Platter (148cm, 180 lbs), yep rides like a skateboard. Any short fat volume shifted is the jam

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #550 on: February 16, 2022, 04:48:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was gonna buy a 152 PP but went with a 155 Marhar Lumber Jack. Volume shift is so great. Definitely feels more like skateboarding.

157. I love it, but I will say as volume shifted goes, it is not a free ride ripper like my Gremlin can be or like the Telos Backslash apparently is. Not stiff enough. I run it at reference stance for freestyle and just jam it around the park. It is definitely a really fun board just not a charger.  I am LumberJack curious as my friend Avran helped design it.
ok thanks

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #551 on: February 16, 2022, 06:08:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

157. I love it, but I will say as volume shifted goes, it is not a free ride ripper like my Gremlin can be or like the Telos Backslash apparently is. Not stiff enough. I run it at reference stance for freestyle and just jam it around the park. It is definitely a really fun board just not a charger.  I am LumberJack curious as my friend Avran helped design it.

It’s funny you say that cause I paid him $15 to help me select that deck based on a survey I filled out.

I found one on EBay for $300 and sent him the picks and he told me it was a good deal so I bought it.

Really good service.

The board it stiff in the middle but has flex in the tips. It’s probably not for deep powder but is forgiving when cutting through uneven terrain.

I think for snowboarding on northeast slopes it’s great.

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #552 on: February 16, 2022, 10:11:42 AM »
A recent favorite

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #553 on: February 16, 2022, 11:25:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s funny you say that cause I paid him $15 to help me select that deck based on a survey I filled out.

I found one on EBay for $300 and sent him the picks and he told me it was a good deal so I bought it.

Really good service.

The board it stiff in the middle but has flex in the tips. It’s probably not for deep powder but is forgiving when cutting through uneven terrain.

I think for snowboarding on northeast slopes it’s great.

Avran is awesome and the good homie. Just spent a week with him in Colorado. I am the moderator during the live streams and stuff when I can get to them. Usually not hard since I work at home on Thursdays. I agree with your assessment. The tips flap, and I am a big guy and can usually overpower boards not specifically made to handle the rough stuff and the steeps, but the PP is fine for local version of black diamonds. I just wouldnt go bomb Cornice at Mammoth on it. Glad you're enjoying it. The Personal Shopper program is a great value and I'm glad people are getting a lot out of it. My regular riding partner just used it to pick a Korua out.

Edit: just realized you're talking about the Lumberjack. I'd say its pretty fair assessment of the Party Platter, but I dont think it is stiff enough through the middle torsionally for me to charge.
ok thanks

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #554 on: February 16, 2022, 11:25:52 AM »
A recent favorite

That's the edit of the year, in my mind. Nothing has been able to stand up to it. Lots of good stuff this year, but...

Dylan. Fucking. Oaktree.
ok thanks

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #555 on: February 16, 2022, 11:38:05 AM »
Just realizing I have sort of a stupid quiver of volume shifted boards now

K2 Party Platter 157
K2 Cool Bean 150
Gnu Gremlin 158
Spring Break Slush Slasher 151

Still sorta volume shifted:
Stump Ape (I mean, its still a 160)
Orca (159)
ok thanks

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #556 on: February 16, 2022, 04:56:21 PM »
Never heard of a Volume Shift snowboard - just googled it.

Are they mainly directional shaped, ie not twin? I wouldnt mind a shorter board at time - 164W is my current go to.

Oldie But Fenchie, awesome footie. That was a good pow day, that bowl looks like fun!!

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #557 on: February 16, 2022, 05:09:05 PM »
I went up to the mountains on back to back weekends, first time I saw an anti hero sticker on a board (big eagle logo) and the next I saw a big Quasi sticker on one. Does that seem wrong to y’all or is it just me? Mostly the anti hero, but idk I just don’t like the idea of that.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #558 on: February 16, 2022, 05:35:57 PM »
Never heard of a Volume Shift snowboard - just googled it.

Are they mainly directional shaped, ie not twin? I wouldnt mind a shorter board at time - 164W is my current go to.

Oldie But Fenchie, awesome footie. That was a good pow day, that bowl looks like fun!!

You are correct but there are two that I know of. I have the lumber jack and that is a twin. Also there is the twin pig.

https://www.marharsnowboards.com/products/lumberjack-snowboard

https://ridesnowboards.com/en-us/p/twinpig-snowboard?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuend0cqF9gIVAf7jBx0wbQA0EAAYASAAEgJ-XfD_BwE

Ultimately, I went with the Lumberjack cause I got a good deal but the twin pig looks good too.

The idea of volume shift is to widen the deck to maintain the same float for body weight. The idea of having a deck that reaches your chin is out the window. You’re in Quebec? I’m in Jersey so we will have similar conditions. I don’t go out west so I can’t speak to how it handles in POW. But you have a deck for that already…

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #559 on: February 16, 2022, 07:16:35 PM »
I went up to the mountains on back to back weekends, first time I saw an anti hero sticker on a board (big eagle logo) and the next I saw a big Quasi sticker on one. Does that seem wrong to y’all or is it just me? Mostly the anti hero, but idk I just don’t like the idea of that.

Cardiel approves.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #560 on: February 16, 2022, 08:04:33 PM »

Antihero did a collaboration with Nike. Don’t take its ‘core, anti-corporate’ branding too seriously. Or any branding, for that matter.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #561 on: February 16, 2022, 08:32:56 PM »
I know Cardiel used to rip on a snowboard, and I'm not saying it's because Antihero is "core" or whatever. Just felt weird to me. Like I wouldn't slap a Baker sticker on my tennis racket, or conversely a Gnu sticker on my skateboard would feel weird. 

Anyways, most of the days I've gotten out this year the snow hasn't been that great and I'm with my gf who is kinda learning so I can't just go really fast and I feel frustrated haha. 

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #562 on: February 17, 2022, 03:39:00 AM »
I know Cardiel used to rip on a snowboard, and I'm not saying it's because Antihero is "core" or whatever. Just felt weird to me. Like I wouldn't slap a Baker sticker on my tennis racket, or conversely a Gnu sticker on my skateboard would feel weird. 

Anyways, most of the days I've gotten out this year the snow hasn't been that great and I'm with my gf who is kinda learning so I can't just go really fast and I feel frustrated haha.

Get her a lesson, pronto.
That is absolutely the best way for you to get riding in and not be frustrated, and her not to feel stressed about making you frustrated. It makes both of you happier, and if she gets a good instructor she’ll learn a lot of good habits.

From a financial standpoint, she’ll learn more in a shorter amount of time with lessons, and be riding faster in less time.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #563 on: February 17, 2022, 09:36:09 PM »
Watching the noah salasnek powder and rails, they are talking about him having pro models on Life and H stree. I cant find any trace on google, art of skateboarding, or the disposable skateboard bible. Anyone have info on a pro model?

R.I.P. Noah
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #564 on: February 17, 2022, 10:22:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That is absolutely the best way for you to get riding in and not be frustrated, and her not to feel stressed about making you frustrated. It makes both of you happier, and if she gets a good instructor she’ll learn a lot of good habits.

From a financial standpoint, she’ll learn more in a shorter amount of time with lessons, and be riding faster in less time.

She took lessons when she was first learning, she just goes slow on runs and usually when I go up I do back country or trees so it’s just mismatched at this point. She looks comfortable enough going down blues, but she went with some other friends closer to her skill set and had more fun it sounds like.

Idk, supposed to hit vail on Monday with a friend so that’ll be fun.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #565 on: February 18, 2022, 12:14:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

She took lessons when she was first learning, she just goes slow on runs and usually when I go up I do back country or trees so it’s just mismatched at this point. She looks comfortable enough going down blues, but she went with some other friends closer to her skill set and had more fun it sounds like.

Idk, supposed to hit vail on Monday with a friend so that’ll be fun.

Mismatched is hard. Most of my friends and their wives are mismatched, and hearing from both sides it’s stress all round.

Mostly the women, who might have gotten into it because of their partners and don’t have much desire to get fast/awesome, but get more enjoyment out of cruising and socializing. Which is totally legitimate, but when riding with their partner they feel pressure to ‘perform’ or get too far outside their comfort zone, and they end up not enjoying riding with their husbands.

And the husbands are like ‘Why don’t you wanna learn more?” and are all disappointed.

The only couples that on know that ride together are both really into it, and we’re doing it before they met.

Sounds like yeah, riding apart for a while longer might be best. Let her develop a passion for it. And if you do ride together, just ride switch or snowskate something and slow yourself down to her level so she doesn’t feel like she has to keep up.

At least that’s what I’ve learned in 20 years instructing and dealing with couples. Including my wife (who luckily shreds, and we generally enjoy riding together)

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #566 on: February 18, 2022, 07:12:59 AM »
Another one from the archives here, got back into my old Vimeo account and found this little indoor clip from the slope I used to work at.

Had a lot of fun at those park/jib sessions, rode there for free for a good 6 or 7 years.. but can't take the slams anymore, so gradually moved away from park riding.

(I know, my switch game is gross)

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #567 on: February 23, 2022, 07:35:38 PM »
I just want to give some appreciation for home much snow we’ve been getting here.

Especially considering it’s been dry in a lot of North America.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #568 on: February 26, 2022, 07:59:19 AM »
Re: Noah Salasnek, he had a lifesaver candy graphic.  He was a good skater, but I don’t remember being too juiced on him.  He was an Ollie grab guy when skating had Mike Carroll…..

Re: couples snowboarding: can’t you usually just wait for here at the bottom of the run? 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578