Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 35601 times)

Skibb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 39
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #600 on: July 11, 2022, 03:42:00 AM »
So, winter season is still faaar away... But I'm toying with the idea of doing a pow-trip to Japan the coming winter. But I have no idea where to even begin. Planning on going with a couple of friends, maybe renting a car and visiting a *couple* of spots during ~2 weeks.

Pals located in Japan Ė when's the best time to go there? And are the resorts on Hokkaido the place to be? What are some cheap and simple places to stay? Love

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 114
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #601 on: July 11, 2022, 05:00:36 PM »
So, winter season is still faaar away... But I'm toying with the idea of doing a pow-trip to Japan the coming winter. But I have no idea where to even begin. Planning on going with a couple of friends, maybe renting a car and visiting a *couple* of spots during ~2 weeks.

Pals located in Japan Ė when's the best time to go there? And are the resorts on Hokkaido the place to be? What are some cheap and simple places to stay? Love

Sounds like a dream come true. Also, RIP Ryan Davis.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #602 on: July 11, 2022, 05:34:22 PM »

Pals located in Japan – when's the best time to go there? And are the resorts on Hokkaido the place to be? What are some cheap and simple places to stay? Love

I don’t live in Hokkaido, just on the main island so I can’t answer specifically about Niseko.

While Hokkaido usually has fairly consistent snow, it’s still gamble with global warming fucking up seasons.

I’ve been on snow for 40+ years, and I’m not confident in encouraging anyone to spend a fuckwad of cash in advance to go anywhere, because snowfall is now becoming completely hit or miss.

We had 2 amazing seasons during Covid. But just before Covid hit, we had the worst season in record. And in the year before that was terrible too. It’s just too up and down now.
It’s also an extra kick to the nuts, because if the snowfall is low in Japan, it’s usually firing in North America and vice versa.

I suggest just waiting to see what the season does in your neck of the woods and then going somewhere where it snows within a reasonable distance with a better chance of getting decent snow. Try cat skiing if you haven’t already.

And contributing less to Global Warming by flying halfway around the world for a decreasing snowpack.

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but travel agents and tourism boards only want to sell you shit with big talk about the snow, but with no guarantee. You won’t hear this from them.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 05:41:54 PM by cucktard »
Iím trying to be every momís favorite skaterí-&&

&& is no stranger to the female species. Hes always got some travel pussy with him in his slambulance. -Hateboard

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #603 on: July 11, 2022, 10:23:55 PM »
I was in Hakuba for that 2020 season, it was really sad to see how little snow there was in Feb - other times the snowfall was just endless at that time.
Iíd recommend looking initiate Hakuba/Nagano, maybe 5/6 mountains all on the same pass, not far from accom by free PT (although the public bus was a bit lacking in 2020 but other seasons its been mint)
Also itís on Honshu, the main island so easily accessible from Tokyo/Kyoto means so can get some city time on the same trip.
I feel like it would be pretty reasonable on money if youíre on the USD too.

Skibb

• Rep: 39
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #604 on: July 14, 2022, 04:30:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I donít live in Hokkaido, just on the main island so I canít answer specifically about Niseko.

While Hokkaido usually has fairly consistent snow, itís still gamble with global warming fucking up seasons.

Iíve been on snow for 40+ years, and Iím not confident in encouraging anyone to spend a fuckwad of cash in advance to go anywhere, because snowfall is now becoming completely hit or miss.

We had 2 amazing seasons during Covid. But just before Covid hit, we had the worst season in record. And in the year before that was terrible too. Itís just too up and down now.
Itís also an extra kick to the nuts, because if the snowfall is low in Japan, itís usually firing in North America and vice versa.

I suggest just waiting to see what the season does in your neck of the woods and then going somewhere where it snows within a reasonable distance with a better chance of getting decent snow. Try cat skiing if you havenít already.

And contributing less to Global Warming by flying halfway around the world for a decreasing snowpack.

I know this isnít what you want to hear, but travel agents and tourism boards only want to sell you shit with big talk about the snow, but with no guarantee. You wonít hear this from them.

I mean Ė it's obviously not only the snow that's luring me halfway across the globe. We get a lot of snow over in Norway, a 10 hour drive away. But it's a place I've always wanted to visit, and a snow trip seems as good a reason as any. And sure, the snow is always a gamble when going on trips like this, of course. Re: global warming Ė yeah, what can I say. I hear you.

I was in Hakuba for that 2020 season, it was really sad to see how little snow there was in Feb - other times the snowfall was just endless at that time.
Iíd recommend looking initiate Hakuba/Nagano, maybe 5/6 mountains all on the same pass, not far from accom by free PT (although the public bus was a bit lacking in 2020 but other seasons its been mint)
Also itís on Honshu, the main island so easily accessible from Tokyo/Kyoto means so can get some city time on the same trip.
I feel like it would be pretty reasonable on money if youíre on the USD too.

I've heard the crowds can be hella bad in Hakuba, is this true?

Expand Quote

[close]

Sounds like a dream come true. Also, RIP Ryan Davis.

RIP indeed.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #605 on: July 14, 2022, 06:13:36 AM »
Hakuba can be rammed, depending on a variety of factors.

- low snowfall early season
Everyone in Honshu crowds onto the tops of  3 mountains. Not much terrain, maybe 2 or 3 lifts each, and mandatory gondola upload and downloading. Lift lines are nuts.

- Wind stoppage. Some days are gnarly, and almost the whole valley shuts down.

- Weekends and holidays. Everyone and their dog come out.

Some hills like Cortina will be rammed the day after a snowfall where every gentem-stick jockey wants GoPro footage.

With COVID, except for weekends it’s been amazing. I’ve had tree runs just to myself for a whole morning. That will end as soon as travel restrictions are lifted.

Everything else, good restaurants, hotels, etc are crazy or quiet depending on the Japanese, Auzzie, and Chinese holidays.
Iím trying to be every momís favorite skaterí-&&

&& is no stranger to the female species. Hes always got some travel pussy with him in his slambulance. -Hateboard