Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53408 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2019, 06:49:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Started skiing in 77, skating around 85, started snowboarding a few years later.
Snowboarding was ‘it’ for me, I never found anything as fun until I tried noboarding (bindingless snowboarding) years later.

I quit skating at 13 because none of my friends did it and the rest of the skaters vibes me out. Wasn’t fun.
But picked it back up 3 or 4 years later because I needed something to do when I couldn’t snowboard.

Now part of my income comes from snowboarding, and it’s been getting a bit stale, but the bindingless riding in powder (and shaping my own powsurfers) is pretty much the best thing ever.

Old soft snow boots, a piece of 5-ply shaped and laquered wood, and a leash are all you need for the best times ever. Cheaper than skating, actually.
[close]

Snowboarding is super fun, been at it for getting close to 30 years at this point.  There is nothing else like being out in the mountain, and riding pow is one of the best feelings in the world.

I also have been pow surfing or noboarding more and more in the last couple years.  Mostly snowmobile access, so it is definitely not cheaper than skating, for me.

Check out @garywayneshapes.  I’ve been working with them for the last couple years making noboards. More like a snowboard construction, with ptex, fiberglass, wood cores and top sheets.  3D contoured bases.

We might have met...
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2019, 07:02:11 AM »
Somebody breakdown snowboard culture to me

Who is the Gonz of the snow?

Which video is the Welcome To Hell? The Fully Flared?

What mountain is the Hollywood High? The Macba? The Leap of Faith?

Which teams are analogous to skateboarding? Does snowboarding have an Anti-Hero type team? A Numbers type team?

The Gonz? For weirdo/goofy stuff but an amazing all-terrain rider Travis Parker comes close. Check out his Robot Food movie parts.

Welcome to Hell might be... Upping the Ante? Simple Pleasures maybe?

Fully Flared did nothing for me. Try ‘Pop’ by Absinthe. That draws a good line between the before/after of the crazy double-cork and big booster craze.

In snowboarding, Mt Baker is the Mecca, burnside if you will. Salt Lake City is Barcelona for street. And the original leap of faith would be the My Baker road gap back in the day. Nowadays it would be Chad’s Gap.

Companies have teams and at one time they tried to have ‘images’, but I’m not up on them anymore. Snowboarding has lost a lot of its gnarlier roots, one of the last brave riders of that time is a dude called Scottty Whittelake, look him up.
Actually, ‘The Rascals’ is a good glimpse into the Mt Baker scene.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2019, 10:18:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Somebody breakdown snowboard culture to me

Who is the Gonz of the snow?

Which video is the Welcome To Hell? The Fully Flared?

What mountain is the Hollywood High? The Macba? The Leap of Faith?

Which teams are analogous to skateboarding? Does snowboarding have an Anti-Hero type team? A Numbers type team?
[close]

The Gonz? For weirdo/goofy stuff but an amazing all-terrain rider Travis Parker comes close. Check out his Robot Food movie parts.

Welcome to Hell might be... Upping the Ante? Simple Pleasures maybe?

Fully Flared did nothing for me. Try ‘Pop’ by Absinthe. That draws a good line between the before/after of the crazy double-cork and big booster craze.

In snowboarding, Mt Baker is the Mecca, burnside if you will. Salt Lake City is Barcelona for street. And the original leap of faith would be the My Baker road gap back in the day. Nowadays it would be Chad’s Gap.

Companies have teams and at one time they tried to have ‘images’, but I’m not up on them anymore. Snowboarding has lost a lot of its gnarlier roots, one of the last brave riders of that time is a dude called Scottty Whittelake, look him up.
Actually, ‘The Rascals’ is a good glimpse into the Mt Baker scene.

I will look into these, appreciate it. It's funny, I grew up in Washington and knew Baker was a snowboarders mountain but I didn't know it was like the snowboarders mountain.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2019, 09:15:49 PM »
Yeah, it’s had that reputation since the beginning. I’ve only been there once, but it was enough to see why.

It has so much gnarly terrain in a fairly compact area, with a scene that promotes hard-charming riding.

I grew up at a hill mostly famous for groomers, and got a chance to see pro-level riding when I moved to Lake Louise during the explosion of new-school riding, and had my eyes opened.

Now I live in Japan and am lucky to have a winter job that involves snowboarding.

I watch more skateboard media than snowboarding these days, but winter is still my favorite time of year.

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2019, 09:27:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Started skiing in 77, skating around 85, started snowboarding a few years later.
Snowboarding was ‘it’ for me, I never found anything as fun until I tried noboarding (bindingless snowboarding) years later.

I quit skating at 13 because none of my friends did it and the rest of the skaters vibes me out. Wasn’t fun.
But picked it back up 3 or 4 years later because I needed something to do when I couldn’t snowboard.

Now part of my income comes from snowboarding, and it’s been getting a bit stale, but the bindingless riding in powder (and shaping my own powsurfers) is pretty much the best thing ever.

Old soft snow boots, a piece of 5-ply shaped and laquered wood, and a leash are all you need for the best times ever. Cheaper than skating, actually.
[close]

Snowboarding is super fun, been at it for getting close to 30 years at this point.  There is nothing else like being out in the mountain, and riding pow is one of the best feelings in the world.

I also have been pow surfing or noboarding more and more in the last couple years.  Mostly snowmobile access, so it is definitely not cheaper than skating, for me.

Check out @garywayneshapes.  I’ve been working with them for the last couple years making noboards. More like a snowboard construction, with ptex, fiberglass, wood cores and top sheets.  3D contoured bases.
[close]

We might have met...

I was in Japan last winter for a bit, mostly Hakuba.
Spend most of my winters in Whistler   

cab-heel

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2019, 09:31:26 PM »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2019, 06:05:05 AM »
It’s ok to bend the knees, Jeff.
Good rails tho.

edit-I just watched the whole thing, the fs 3 off the bridge 50 was good.

Getting lower and relaxing your lower joints (knees, ankles) will help you
1-lower your center of gravity and help you stay more stable on rails and landings

2- let the board relax flat on the rail, good especially for kinks.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:45:58 PM by cucktard »

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2019, 04:09:02 PM »
Just got all new outerwear and the northeast college pass.

I really don’t know what I’m going to do after I finish my masters these college passes are the only affordable season pass

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2019, 05:45:31 PM »

I really don’t know what I’m going to do after I finish my masters these college passes are the only affordable season pass
Man, what do you end up paying for college passes? Around here it’s crazy and I’m pretty sure they dropped the college pass for one that was double the cost.

I’ll have to post my new pickup, grabbed a cool Capita pow board called the spring break. It has a super long effective edge so it rides much longer than its actual length, and it has a cropped tail and wide nose to float in powder. Hope I can get to Jay’s Peak or something this winter.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2019, 10:31:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Man, what do you end up paying for college passes? Around here it’s crazy and I’m pretty sure they dropped the college pass for one that was double the cost.

I’ll have to post my new pickup, grabbed a cool Capita pow board called the spring break. It has a super long effective edge so it rides much longer than its actual length, and it has a cropped tail and wide nose to float in powder. Hope I can get to Jay’s Peak or something this winter.

The northeast college pass was 399. I think the gold pass is a cheaper college pass for loon, Sunday river and sugarloaf which was the one I wanted but I ski a lot with family and no one wants to go that far.

That board sounds sick and I try to go to jay for a weekend once a winter. That place is too much fun

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The northeast college pass was 399. I think the gold pass is a cheaper college pass for loon, Sunday river and sugarloaf which was the one I wanted but I ski a lot with family and no one wants to go that far.

That board sounds sick and I try to go to jay for a weekend once a winter. That place is too much fun
Now see, that’s not a bad deal at all considering that those are all pretty big mountains. I would get access to some mountains that are nicer (vail resorts or some shit... i live in fucking PA) than my local (big boulder/jack frost) w/ the season pass, but they’re all at least a 4 hour drive. That and I have nobody to go with, most of my friends have moved away.

Board is actually kind of ugly but it was for a great price and is pretty desirable so I could probably flip it after riding.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:04:45 AM by potpie »

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2019, 11:00:18 AM »
sweet board, i feel like its pretty hard to get a good deal on those
🤙

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2019, 01:54:48 PM »

should i drop collision

Joey Sexton is still pretty insane

ohnowisee

• Rep: -2
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »
Is anybody hitting up any of those TGR premiers for Roadless? Bryan Iguchi, Jeremy Jones, Travis Rice. Looks sick.
Ilford is way more core than Kodak - natenola forever

KRKD1

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2019, 07:17:01 PM »
I don't get out as much as used to since having a kid$$$$. But still got some love for it. Unless you got a nice spot somewhere and access to cheap gear its grear. But between gas and lodging and all the other costs associated with resorts and such i just couldnt justify it.

Snowboarding in the streets however is ridiculous. The shit some of these guys are doing is incomprehensible to me. Dudes hucking down black diamonds passes or backwoods drops from peaks are unreal but there is nothing more appealing than street snowboarding. the shit they can do out there is just wild.

I love street snow films.

I bought a used setup from a second hand sports store. We got that bungie and an old s10 and some snow shovels. As long as tour toasty warm it's a pretty fun time and nice way to stay in shape and itch the nitch if you live in a snowy winter climate. Plus I've never been kicked out of a spot for snowboarding. Most times the police or people are more intrigued than pissed off. Ecspically when you roll up with a truck bed full of snow and start making a spot.

But its never been better than the skatebird for me.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 07:24:04 PM by KRKD1 »

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2019, 08:14:38 PM »
I really do appreciate this thread. I go on slap because I only have 2 friends I can talk to about skateboarding and one of them posts here and I have 0 friends to talk about snowboarding with so it’s been nice to find people here to talk about both with even though I know a lot of skaters hate on snowboarding (especially on slap).

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2019, 06:27:24 AM »
Ever since I slammed and broke my collar bone snowboarding I can't appreciate that shit.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2019, 12:46:31 PM »

ohnowisee

« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2019, 05:24:38 AM »
http://www.instagram.com/p/B3dF5fuh-ho/

This makes me so happy

Love blasting snow at people. Nothing better than riding with friends and then you see one sit down for a second you just blast them with snow.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2019, 03:20:22 PM »
Taking off next Tuesday for an early a-basin day. I got five days with the ikon pass so I will save most of them for late season. But im fucking itching, need to get some turns in.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2019, 06:50:49 PM »
I think I'm gonna try to go snowboarding at least a few times this winter. I went once with my dad this past winter and honestly had a lot of fun. He's a skier, but it's cool to do something active with him.

I'm an idiot when it comes to gear, but is there anything I should know about boots? I've got a decent board but my boots are cheap and shitty. Was thinking of buying some Vans for some familiarity but I'm only basing that on looks lol.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2019, 08:33:56 PM »
I think I'm gonna try to go snowboarding at least a few times this winter. I went once with my dad this past winter and honestly had a lot of fun. He's a skier, but it's cool to do something active with him.

I'm an idiot when it comes to gear, but is there anything I should know about boots? I've got a decent board but my boots are cheap and shitty. Was thinking of buying some Vans for some familiarity but I'm only basing that on looks lol.

Most companies make decent boots, Burton, 32, Vans being bigger ones.

Just look at the stiffness you want for the kind of riding you do.

Hard-charging/carving=stiffer, jibbing=softer.

A lot of companies make different speed-lacing systems. Ones where they tighten the whole boot at once (like a single Boa dial) can be uncomfortable, look for systems where you can tighten the top and bottom separately.

Or just use lace-ups, I still do.

Make sure the boots fit snug while wearing thin socks, but allow wiggle room for the toes. Check that your heel is snug and doesn’t lift when you rock onto your toes.

Good luck

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2019, 06:58:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Most companies make decent boots, Burton, 32, Vans being bigger ones.

Just look at the stiffness you want for the kind of riding you do.

Hard-charging/carving=stiffer, jibbing=softer.

A lot of companies make different speed-lacing systems. Ones where they tighten the whole boot at once (like a single Boa dial) can be uncomfortable, look for systems where you can tighten the top and bottom separately.

Or just use lace-ups, I still do.

Make sure the boots fit snug while wearing thin socks, but allow wiggle room for the toes. Check that your heel is snug and doesn’t lift when you rock onto your toes.

Good luck

Big fan of the 32 lashed, but you might want something a little bit stiffer as the lashed advertises as a medium flex but mine are a touch softer than medium I’d say. You could try the 32 edit: TM two, which is a good boot you could find marked down and is a little stiffer but won’t be terrible for park laps.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:24:00 AM by waltercronkite »

Buck Bundy

• Rep: 38
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2019, 11:04:44 PM »
I think I told this in another snowboarding thread, but I’ll leave this here. I was in 7th-8th grade when a place called Raging Buffalo snowboard park opened. It was a small hill with a tow rope and supposedly the first snowboard only park. This was 93 or 94 so it was fucking rad to have a hill with some jumps and rails. The first few years it was open were pretty insane when I look back on it. Lots of smoking in the parking lot, on the hill, and drinking. People would hang out from open to close. There was a small building that served as a lodge so it was a lot like being at a skatepark. Which is why I liked it so much. Good times just being a kid and fucking around in the snow all day. I had a pass till I was 16 and by then I was over getting absolutely worked on the midwestern ice we called snow. Snowboarding was fun as fuck as a kid, but I went for the first time in a decade last year and it sucked. Everything hurt and it was cold as fuck.

ohnowisee

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2019, 06:22:06 AM »
I think I told this in another snowboarding thread, but I’ll leave this here. I was in 7th-8th grade when a place called Raging Buffalo snowboard park opened. It was a small hill with a tow rope and supposedly the first snowboard only park. This was 93 or 94 so it was fucking rad to have a hill with some jumps and rails. The first few years it was open were pretty insane when I look back on it. Lots of smoking in the parking lot, on the hill, and drinking. People would hang out from open to close. There was a small building that served as a lodge so it was a lot like being at a skatepark. Which is why I liked it so much. Good times just being a kid and fucking around in the snow all day. I had a pass till I was 16 and by then I was over getting absolutely worked on the midwestern ice we called snow. Snowboarding was fun as fuck as a kid, but I went for the first time in a decade last year and it sucked. Everything hurt and it was cold as fuck.

Raging Buffalo was wild. I went there a couple of times, but always went up to Wilmot instead. Something about snowboarding on an old icey trash pile. Now Vail owns them

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2019, 12:45:43 AM »
I'm finally buying my dream snowboard that I've wanted since I was a kid (GNU skidder) but don't know shit about snowboard gear these days... What bindings and boots should I look at?

I grew up snowboarding in the early 90s so I'm used to very soft jibby boards even on groomed runs and powder and backcountry they feel best to me. So I assume a softer binding would work for me, but I don't know. Also, don't know what the current "trend" is. I've never tried rear entry bindings, are they good? Anything else I should look for? I'm ordering the board online, but I maybe will go look at bindings in person and certainly boots I need to try on. I'm not rich, but rich enough to consider snowboarding as a hobby.

Any advice would be swell.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2019, 01:20:57 PM »
I'm finally buying my dream snowboard that I've wanted since I was a kid (GNU skidder) but don't know shit about snowboard gear these days... What bindings and boots should I look at?

I grew up snowboarding in the early 90s so I'm used to very soft jibby boards even on groomed runs and powder and backcountry they feel best to me. So I assume a softer binding would work for me, but I don't know. Also, don't know what the current "trend" is. I've never tried rear entry bindings, are they good? Anything else I should look for? I'm ordering the board online, but I maybe will go look at bindings in person and certainly boots I need to try on. I'm not rich, but rich enough to consider snowboarding as a hobby.

Union contact pro is pretty good for what you like and probably a best bang for your buck binding.

I had rear entry bindings before and still did the straps instead if that means anything to you.

In other news... I really liked this part. It was a fun edit with a great smog song and I felt like they really gave you insight into how Gus operates. That corner wall ride was a tribute to Jason Adams too.

http://youtu.be/4kJPzVxWYBY

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:22:54 PM by waltercronkite »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2019, 04:26:08 PM »

Do not buy rear entry (Flow brand) bindings. They are too stiff when you land and pinch unless you have overly stiff boots which most skaters do not like.

I would go with Burton bindings and a Burton deck. My buddy has Burton toe strap bindings and he can ride all day w/o foot pinch.

Burton bindings only go with Burton boards so if you are set on GNU then go with another toe strap system.

I have Vans boots and they are great. I have the BOA system but it pops loose at times so go with lace up Vans.

Or, you could buy a snow skate

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2019, 01:08:36 PM »
If you are getting a snow skate get an ambition

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2019, 02:32:43 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx0Un5voKu4

two planks are better than one
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 03:20:23 PM by nooky »
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.