Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53402 times)

Get fired up

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -54
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2020, 08:58:32 PM »
18, -5.   I find if I duck my back foot out more it makes it harder to charge in powder. And my back knee starts to hurt. 

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2020, 02:19:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Anybody here use a duck stance? I'm thinking about making the switch because I guess it helps your switch riding? I'm so regular that I can't toeside carve for shit so I heelside everything, and when I should go toeside I always have to go into switch and turn heelside. On the upside of this, I can bomb down a slope pretty fast going switch.
[close]

I’m 9, -6 or I might be 6,-6 I forget tbh. But I do it because I ride goofy on a skateboard and regular on a snowboard so I think that may be why switch on a snowboard is a bit easier for me so I like to have the option.

Can you please explain this to me, how is this possible? They're both boards, how come you decide to ride them in different stances? I think this is the craziest thing but it turns out it's not as rare and crazy as I thought it was. There are quite a few people who do this.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2020, 02:20:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn I never realized all the different combinations of angles people use. I was thinking about starting off with +15/-15, so I'll start from there and adjust based on feel. Any of you guys with bad knees have any recommendations?
[close]

I’ve ridden 15/-15 for about 25 years, last year experimented with 18/-12. I’ll try full positives this year on my stiff board.

Just do what feels right for your knees. It may be less stance than how you are twisting your body.

As for toeside, you gotta learn that shit sooner or later. Make it sooner.

You might have had a bad experience with it that put you off, but if that’s the case, it gets easier.

As you snowboard, gently roll from your heels to your toes on the bottoms of your feet as you turn.

Do it gently at first, and as you go onto your toes, have the feeling of twisting your toes (in your boots) uphill.

When you start turning onto your heels, gently roll onto them and then twist your feet in your boots so that your toes point back  downhill, and you do ‘C’ shaped turns.

Try to feel this more with the feet than with the upper body (although your head should be looking ahead through the turn)

Hope that helps.
[close]

Cheers for the tips. Currently at sugar bowl right now and this +15/-15 has felt super good so far, especially for my switch. My toeside has gotten totally better as well, but still having commitment issues on steeper terrain but I guess that comes with practice. Now my main problem is getting out of powder, I spend a good chunk of time getting stuck in powder and exert a lot of energy trying to get out

No problem. I’ve been instructing for about 18 seasons.

If you imagine your turn as a full “c”  and break your turn up into quarters, people who are comfortable on one edge can change edges in the first quarter of the turn.

People on their uncomfortable side don’t usually change edges until the 2nd quarter. This leads to a bunch of problems: the turn can get bigger, you pick up speed, and you only really get on your new edge late in the turn.

Try doing turns where you go across the slope , do a full ‘c’, and end up coming back across. Try to change your edges as early as possible and ride the new edge thru the whole turn, esp on your weak (toe) side

As for powder, go fast and don’t stop
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 06:07:44 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2020, 11:57:11 AM »
Haven't seen in years but this video blew my mind back in the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbxdjB03xr8

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2020, 12:32:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody here use a duck stance? I'm thinking about making the switch because I guess it helps your switch riding? I'm so regular that I can't toeside carve for shit so I heelside everything, and when I should go toeside I always have to go into switch and turn heelside. On the upside of this, I can bomb down a slope pretty fast going switch.
[close]

I’m 9, -6 or I might be 6,-6 I forget tbh. But I do it because I ride goofy on a skateboard and regular on a snowboard so I think that may be why switch on a snowboard is a bit easier for me so I like to have the option.
[close]

Can you please explain this to me, how is this possible? They're both boards, how come you decide to ride them in different stances? I think this is the craziest thing but it turns out it's not as rare and crazy as I thought it was. There are quite a few people who do this.

I don’t know lol. I always just chalked it up to my right foot being my dominant foot, so I want it carrying the most amount of work.

I don’t know if this contributed to it but I broke my left foot when I was 6 and then had problems with that ankle ever since. I used to deal with left ankle sprains constantly so my left ankle has less mobility. But to be honest when you first start snowboarding and you can only falling leaf i just felt more comfortable regular. I probably could’ve learned either way though because like I said I’m pretty good switch and I never really had to work at it.

It gets even weirder because I’m not really that good at backside tricks on a skateboard and do most stuff frontside, but on a snowboard I do most stuff backside regular and most stuff frontside goofy

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2020, 12:04:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t know lol. I always just chalked it up to my right foot being my dominant foot, so I want it carrying the most amount of work.

I don’t know if this contributed to it but I broke my left foot when I was 6 and then had problems with that ankle ever since. I used to deal with left ankle sprains constantly so my left ankle has less mobility. But to be honest when you first start snowboarding and you can only falling leaf i just felt more comfortable regular. I probably could’ve learned either way though because like I said I’m pretty good switch and I never really had to work at it.

It gets even weirder because I’m not really that good at backside tricks on a skateboard and do most stuff frontside, but on a snowboard I do most stuff backside regular and most stuff frontside goofy

Yeah, maybe there's not that much difference for you which way you're going. I'm really set on regular and switch has always felt just that, "the wrong way" as we use to call it back in the day.

I find that super-fascinating that it works like that for some people. I remember Jussi Oksanen being the first person I saw do that. We'd skate the same spots back in early nineties and he skates goofy. Then I saw one of his snowboard videoparts and was blown away that he rides regular.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2020, 06:30:07 AM »
I also fall into that category. I skateboard goofy and snowboard regular. No idea why, and I started both around the same age. I'm trying to think back if my friends older brother who taught be how to skateboard was goofy. Maybe I was just trying to replicate him?

Also that's cool you used to skate with Jussi. I've always been a fan of his. I know he had some flatground footage in one of the old Robot Food videos. Seems like he had a pretty decent bag of tricks.

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
I still ride a Type A 152 danny way board

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2020, 01:05:26 AM »
I also fall into that category. I skateboard goofy and snowboard regular. No idea why, and I started both around the same age. I'm trying to think back if my friends older brother who taught be how to skateboard was goofy. Maybe I was just trying to replicate him?

Also that's cool you used to skate with Jussi. I've always been a fan of his. I know he had some flatground footage in one of the old Robot Food videos. Seems like he had a pretty decent bag of tricks.

you gotta have a nasty switch game whether its skate or snow
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Spacenoid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »

Jed Anderson is also like this. "normal" stance for skating is regular, snowboards goofy.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2020, 09:14:46 AM »
Jack Wack
mArLeY

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2020, 04:19:04 PM »
Fuck I bought a new arbor westmark and after 10 days it started to delaminate. Super bummed. Just ordered a niche knew on a heavy discount to ride while I wait for arbors warranty department to get back to me.

But that snowstorm last weekend was fucking crazy at copper Mountain. Never seen so much powder. I had to dig myself out of the trees a few times, it was past waist deep. Amazing.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2020, 05:20:15 AM »
Sounds nice, we are having the worst year on record in Japan.

It sucks for riding and my instructing job, but will be worse for Tokyo this summer when there won’t be any snowpack to feed the city’s water supply.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Davethedavedave

• Rep: -101
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2020, 12:01:15 AM »
I like this

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2020, 09:51:07 PM »
Rumor is adidas snowboarding is coming to an end.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2020, 10:11:20 AM »
source? sucks if true, but after nike bailed i'm not surprised. jed really can't win with these corpo boot sponsors, eh?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2020, 10:09:19 AM »
why did I not see this thread before?
seeing Cardiel back on a snowboard was epic. Incredible after what he's been through.

I barely skate anymore, except for some city cruising, but I still snowboard in the Alps every year. Not too often unfortunately cause I live far away. I keep it old school and ride with positive 21 / 3 angles, like Haakonsen back in the day. Duck stance seems to hurt my knees just looking at it.

Finally.....This series gets me so hyped! Side Hits Euphoria3!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRruzeLwB-o

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2020, 06:42:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
source? sucks if true, but after nike bailed i'm not surprised. jed really can't win with these corpo boot sponsors, eh?

Was listening to the snowboard project and mark sullivan made a joke about someone getting on adidas and then the other guy said that’s impossible now and mark said oh ya cause they’re supposedly done right and then they just moved on. I heard that rumor one other place but can’t remember.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2020, 03:12:39 AM »
I’ve had a shit back since last February, and only now is it feeling good enough to actually rip a bit.

It felt so nice to let loose a bit again in some decent snow (it’s been the worst winter on record where i am) and spin a few 3s.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2020, 07:02:42 PM »
This thread makes me want a new snowboard. I’m still rocking some mid 1990’s 165 Sims that must weigh 15 lbs. I broke out my early 90’s no-sidecut skis because they were less punishing on my knees on the lift.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2020, 09:50:21 PM »
all resorts on mount hood are closed until further notice. thats no fun
🤙

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2020, 11:05:37 PM »
all resorts on mount hood are closed until further notice. thats no fun
hike em buddy

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2020, 08:21:33 AM »
This thread makes me want a new snowboard. I’m still rocking some mid 1990’s 165 Sims that must weigh 15 lbs. I broke out my early 90’s no-sidecut skis because they were less punishing on my knees on the lift.

Do it. Shit is much easier to ride, especially boots and bindings.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2020, 08:30:34 AM »
Been thinking of treating myself to a new deck. Looking to get a short/wide thinking it will feel more like skateboarding. I ride in the Poconos and Catskills so not much powder to speak of. Have my eyes on this deck

Should I pull the trigger?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2020, 09:00:01 AM »
Been thinking of treating myself to a new deck. Looking to get a short/wide thinking it will feel more like skateboarding. I ride in the Poconos and Catskills so not much powder to speak of. Have my eyes on this deck

the ride warpig is very similar, i have one and its very fun.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2020, 10:03:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
the ride warpig is very similar, i have one and its very fun.

Dying to try the warpig heard it’s so much fun

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2020, 10:08:37 AM »
i have a k2 87 and its the most fun board i’ve ridden. i want to try more of the k2s, and the warpig too. go short, fat, and camber, so much fun in all conditions   
🤙

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2020, 10:13:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do it. Shit is much easier to ride, especially boots and bindings.

True. I used to have a freeride-orientated board, but 3 years ago I bought a Salomon Assassin and I've had so much fun on it. It's an all-mountain freestyle board and it made ollies and all switch/freestyle stuff so much more fun. and if you have a 165 Sims....man prepare to get your mind blown by the new gear. Even modern clothes I find to be so good compared to the 90's shit. We always used to get cold and wet, not anymore.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2020, 10:55:40 AM »
A snowboard podcast!!!! Bout time. Hosted by Grenier of all people! i hope more episodes continue to come.

first guess, none other than one of the oGs Justin Bennee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRxS8wszF30&t=254s

ENJOY
Proverbs 27:17

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2020, 04:04:49 AM »
A snowboard podcast!!!! Bout time. Hosted by Grenier of all people! i hope more episodes continue to come.

first guess, none other than one of the oGs Justin Bennee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRxS8wszF30&t=254s

ENJOY

This was pretty good. There are other decent ones too: AIRTIME is good and I like BOARD BAG STUDIO by Jesse Paul as well, although that's not very frequent and it deals a lot with recovering from injuries and health issues but I found that interest too.

I like podcasts that are hosted by current pros, them interviewing their peers makes it obviously more interesting.

I'm kind of new to snowboarding, this was my 2nd season and I've found it strange that snowboarding is so scattered, in a way. I'm actively following snowboarding and all the timeI'm discovering a bunch of stuff and people I've never heard of. There is no SLAP in snowboarding, I guess that's the reason. Or I just haven't found it.