Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53438 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #180 on: April 20, 2020, 04:23:56 AM »
Expand Quote
A snowboard podcast!!!! Bout time. Hosted by Grenier of all people! i hope more episodes continue to come.

first guess, none other than one of the oGs Justin Bennee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRxS8wszF30&t=254s

ENJOY
[close]

This was pretty good. There are other decent ones too: AIRTIME is good and I like BOARD BAG STUDIO by Jesse Paul as well, although that's not very frequent and it deals a lot with recovering from injuries and health issues but I found that interest too.

I like podcasts that are hosted by current pros, them interviewing their peers makes it obviously more interesting.

I'm kind of new to snowboarding, this was my 2nd season and I've found it strange that snowboarding is so scattered, in a way. I'm actively following snowboarding and all the timeI'm discovering a bunch of stuff and people I've never heard of. There is no SLAP in snowboarding, I guess that's the reason. Or I just haven't found it.

Best snowboard on insta is a 90’s pro called Cad Otterstrom. The dude is a workhorse getting clips daily and he still shreds harder than most.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #181 on: April 20, 2020, 09:58:29 AM »
The not snowboarding podcast is pretty good.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2020, 06:16:17 PM »
Not so many current snowboarders, but still a good listen from a North Van local.

FNRad podcast

https://www.buzzsprout.com/277361

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2020, 01:50:27 AM »
Not so many current snowboarders, but still a good listen from a North Van local.

FNRad podcast

https://www.buzzsprout.com/277361

I've listened to a few episodes with people I'd heard of before haha. Definitely some good stuff but there's also so much wack shit in snowboarding that I have no interest in. But I love learning more and finding the cool shit.

Have to check out Not Snowboarding.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2020, 10:33:50 PM »
I've seen Shredjesus around a bunch, I heard his voice and totally knew it was the guy.  He's buds with Alex Chalmers, I hope he finds his way onto the pod as some point. 

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #185 on: May 01, 2020, 08:34:32 AM »
Thinking about buying some gear in the off season.

Do I need new boots and bindings? Currently have mid 90’s Vans boots and Vision(!) bindings. The boots aren’t uncomfortable or cold. In what way has that gear improved?

trash

• Rep: 11
« Reply #186 on: May 01, 2020, 02:18:20 PM »
Loosely related to above.. What are some board brands that warrant support over others? I'd like to get my next board from something rider-owned similar to how I would buy a skate deck. I don't follow the snowboard industry so open to any recommendations.

Dopethrone

• Rep: -20
« Reply #187 on: May 01, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »
Loosely related to above.. What are some board brands that warrant support over others? I'd like to get my next board from something rider-owned similar to how I would buy a skate deck. I don't follow the snowboard industry so open to any recommendations.

Plenty of choice. The big ones are nitro (they do a lot for snowboarding, the community and they have probably the best team) k2 snowboards another company that's been around for a long time also make skis ( take what you want with that) burton probably the biggest company more of a corporate company sort of like Element. Companies I'm stoked on are Korua a Swiss company fairly low key, give them a Google very nice videos. Dinosaurs will die started out in bc. Capita very economical company with a very 'green' factory in Austria they also make a fair few other brands boards there.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #188 on: May 01, 2020, 08:03:37 PM »
Thinking about buying some gear in the off season.

Do I need new boots and bindings? Currently have mid 90’s Vans boots and Vision(!) bindings. The boots aren’t uncomfortable or cold. In what way has that gear improved?

Stiffer, better response. You can go faster and harder (but tweak less).

And same with the bindings. Definitely upgrade the bindings.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: May 01, 2020, 08:06:03 PM »

Snowboards that are made in factories with actual snowboarders making them would Mervin Manufacturing (Lib Tech, Gnu) and Smokin.
Smoking is a smaller company with a 3-year warranty and solid boards.

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #190 on: May 02, 2020, 02:43:16 PM »

You can go wrong with Lib-Tech and Gnu.
I would also support DWD and Capita. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: May 02, 2020, 11:12:35 PM »
I've had food luck w burton bindings in that the parts are easily replaceable.  Boards....I just learned what camber was two years ago....

If you're a 90's guy?  Bindings are now way better....boots are crazy stiff....

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #192 on: May 03, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »
I might have already said this in this thread but if you need bindings I’d just go with union contact pros. It will save your bank account a bit and it’s just a good basic binding. And you can’t go wrong with the vans standard hi pro again it’s a cheaper boot that does more than get the job done.

As far as boards are concerned I’ll echo everyone else and say capita or gnu

trash

• Rep: 11
« Reply #193 on: May 03, 2020, 12:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion boys, I'll look at all of the above. Out of curiosity, what happened to TechNine? Everyone at the park I rode at (~11 years ago) used to hype up their shit, but the reviews I've read online make it seem like it's not the same brand.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #194 on: May 03, 2020, 03:14:24 PM »
Them and their gangsta schtick ended a while ago. If they are still around, its by making cheap Chinese boards and gangsta wear for asian markets.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #195 on: May 03, 2020, 10:54:08 PM »
I might have already said this in this thread but if you need bindings I’d just go with union contact pros. It will save your bank account a bit and it’s just a good basic binding. And you can’t go wrong with the vans standard hi pro again it’s a cheaper boot that does more than get the job done.

As far as boards are concerned I’ll echo everyone else and say capita or gnu

My boards are Capita and Spring Break (manufactured by Capita) with Union contact pros, very happy with those. I'd probably get Vans hi standards but I wanna support my friend's shop and he carries Thirty Two so that's my choice of boot. No complaints there either, can easily wear them all day.

I had a over 20 year break in snowboarding, my previous set up was from early 90's and I must say, getting new, proper gear, it makes a world of difference. Compared to old gear, current equipment is so comfortable, light, the boards are easy to ride, the riding experience is just so much better. Definitely upgrade your gear.

Spacenoid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2020, 04:42:57 AM »

You have a lot of choice with rider owned brands. Brands already mentioned like Lib Tech/GNU and Capita are good choices. Big into Bataleon and Lobster (Helgason bros brand), they both feature Triple Base Technology which seems to have a lot of benefits for park rats/skaters on snow. Arbor also makes skateboards and they seem to have nice offerings, Westmark is pretty popular. DC Snowboards seem to have a cult following, the PBJ and House of Powder are cool. Rome SDS is generally considered good, I will note that not everyone likes the feel (seen many mixed reviews) YES, Signal, and Smokin also come to mind. All brands where the rep is good enough for me to buy a deck.

Although I gotta say, the "corporate"'/"ski" brands also make really good boards. Nobody will think you're less "core" for supporting an actual board shop that happens to carry the Ride Twinpig or Salomon Huck Knife (two highly rated park boards if that's your thing).

formula420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #197 on: May 04, 2020, 07:06:06 AM »

the angry snowboarder does live streams a few days a week where you can tell him your stats and what you are looking for and he will give some recommendations.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2020, 02:34:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You have a lot of choice with rider owned brands. Brands already mentioned like Lib Tech/GNU and Capita are good choices. Big into Bataleon and Lobster (Helgason bros brand), they both feature Triple Base Technology which seems to have a lot of benefits for park rats/skaters on snow. Arbor also makes skateboards and they seem to have nice offerings, Westmark is pretty popular. DC Snowboards seem to have a cult following, the PBJ and House of Powder are cool. Rome SDS is generally considered good, I will note that not everyone likes the feel (seen many mixed reviews) YES, Signal, and Smokin also come to mind. All brands where the rep is good enough for me to buy a deck.

Although I gotta say, the "corporate"'/"ski" brands also make really good boards. Nobody will think you're less "core" for supporting an actual board shop that happens to carry the Ride Twinpig or Salomon Huck Knife (two highly rated park boards if that's your thing).

I rode the Ride Warpig for about a month this winter, borrowed it from a friend and that board is super fun. Wide, very easy to ride, apparently some say that's as close to skating as you can get. It's ugly as fuck but I loved that board.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2020, 08:19:01 PM »
my wife and i are going 100% backcountry this year due to covid fucking shit up. just gotta pick up one more sled. hyped

🤙

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2020, 02:43:18 AM »
After 10 years off a snowboard, I bought a season pass this year to our small local hill.  The culture is kinda kooky, but I always had a ton of fun out doing it.  I still have most of my shit from when I was younger, so it didn't cost me too much in the end.

Also, "Street" snowboarding is the weirdest fucking thing.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2020, 06:25:20 AM »
I've been snowboarding about 15 years but semi retired at the start of this year after another concussion which took months to shake off.

Timing was about right as a 2 week trip to park city in March got shitcanned by CV19, they closed the resort the day I was due to fly out from the UK.

No Euro trips booked for this winter for the first time in 15 years, combination of CV19 and not being quite sure where I'm going with snowboarding now I'm transitioning out of riding park.

All of that was pretty instrumental in me getting back on a skateboard after 10 years off though, so silver linings and all that.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2020, 07:32:10 AM »
my wife and i are going 100% backcountry this year due to covid fucking shit up. just gotta pick up one more sled. hyped

if the arbor westmark rocker 154 mw looks good to you i have a 20/21 new in plastic for sale. PM if interested.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #203 on: November 09, 2020, 07:12:01 AM »
I started snowboarding a couple of years after I started skating. I never really tried to do tricks on a snowboard, just cruising and fulfilling the need for speed. It's also a great way to keep yourself upbeat during the winter. I haven't been in a while, but that's gotta change. I pay almost no attention to pro snowboarding.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #204 on: November 09, 2020, 09:16:24 AM »
Proverbs 27:17

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #208 on: November 11, 2020, 07:16:18 AM »
My expectations are super low this year due to COVID....the hills have gotten consistently busier every year and if skating has seen a huge influx of new skaters or skaters coming back, one can only imagine what snowboarding will be like....

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #209 on: November 11, 2020, 07:30:59 AM »
I'm not looking forward to post-covid flight prices...I would imagine lift passes will probably get more expensive in Europe too, shame as they are historically pretty cheap, especially compared to the US.

I've been debating offloading some of my quiver, but as nobody is riding, no one is buying gear either.

A few of my mates are heading to LAAX in December, I bowed out as I didn't want to risk another cancellation and more money gone... wondering if I should go anyway and just spend a week skating the indoor park at Rocks resort.