Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53416 times)

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #240 on: January 18, 2021, 12:04:57 AM »
I usually poke fun at US snowboarding cause American resorts seem so lame with the snow patrols, the forbidden off-piste rules and all that....Plus French resorts are pretty fucking big. love the Alps!
But this year? French resorts have not opened at all because of covid. and we still don't know whether they will....and I'm pissed. 

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #241 on: January 18, 2021, 04:44:57 AM »
I usually poke fun at US snowboarding cause American resorts seem so lame with the snow patrols, the forbidden off-piste rules and all that....Plus French resorts are pretty fucking big. love the Alps!
But this year? French resorts have not opened at all because of covid. and we still don't know whether they will....and I'm pissed.

US resorts are heavenly and way more free than Japan. Until recently, pretty much all trees everywhere were off limits.I got yelled at for riding I. powder right beside the piste, because it was under lifts.

It’s much less draconian now (some trees, under special conditions, are open), and we’ve been getting hit with good snowfalls after 3 bad years.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #242 on: January 18, 2021, 07:53:33 AM »
I just spend the day snowboarding in Upper WI yesterday. Nobody said anything about going of the tracks, but I got yelled at 3 times for my mask falling below my nose. I could understand if I was in line for the lift, but geez, it’s a lot harder keeping it on while snowboarding than grocery shopping.

I remember in the 90’s most places wouldn’t allow snowboarding period. Now every hill has a snowboard park. Rules have relaxed a lot over the years.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #243 on: January 18, 2021, 11:59:34 AM »
I just spend the day snowboarding in Upper WI yesterday. Nobody said anything about going of the tracks, but I got yelled at 3 times for my mask falling below my nose. I could understand if I was in line for the lift, but geez, it’s a lot harder keeping it on while snowboarding than grocery shopping.

I remember in the 90’s most places wouldn’t allow snowboarding period. Now every hill has a snowboard park. Rules have relaxed a lot over the years.

Granite peak?  I’ve heard they are pretty strict with masks.  To me northern wi is more the whitecap area(relative) and I have heard it’s pretty much no rules up there.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #244 on: January 18, 2021, 10:46:20 PM »
This season whenever my friends or myself toss our carcasses off jumps hoping to hit a tiny tranny landing, I’ve taken to shouting ‘LONGOOOOOO’!’ 

But realistically, most of mine have been pretty ‘SHORTO’
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2021, 05:59:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

US resorts are heavenly and way more free than Japan. Until recently, pretty much all trees everywhere were off limits.I got yelled at for riding I. powder right beside the piste, because it was under lifts.

It’s much less draconian now (some trees, under special conditions, are open), and we’ve been getting hit with good snowfalls after 3 bad years.

yeah I just read on the whitelines site that Japanese resorts are pretty strict, I didn't know! My fave French resort is Avoriaz.... no cars in the winter there!   :P  it almost feels like skating through a city....

and in case any of you want to go wild, I have to mention La Grave: more than 2000 m of vertical terrain, entirely untracked, just one lift. It's been on my bucked list for years and years....

https://www.powderhounds.com/Europe/France/La-Grave.aspx

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #246 on: January 19, 2021, 09:46:11 AM »

Have you ever actually ridden in America?
ok thanks

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: January 19, 2021, 11:00:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah I did. and I had a good time....at Bear Mountain and some Nor Cal resort, I can't remember which.But I've read A LOT of horror stories about people getting their passes pulled for going off-piste or just riding too fast. Which is just unfathomable to a Euro.
have you ever actually ridden in Europe? out here off-piste is part of the culture....that's all we do when the snow is good
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:07:50 PM by OldieButFrenchie »

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2021, 03:32:11 AM »
and in case any of you want to go wild, I have to mention La Grave: more than 2000 m of vertical terrain, entirely untracked, just one lift. It's been on my bucked list for years and years....

La Grave is sick! Get ready to be up real fucking early though, you're competing against the hungriest lot for those untracked turns. I kinda love that though, that feeling of anticipation us great. And then you have like the whole system of Les Deux Alpes just a couple of lifts away..

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2021, 08:51:20 AM »
.But I've read A LOT of horror stories about people getting their passes pulled for going off-piste or just riding too fast. Which is just unfathomable to a Euro.

So you're just relying on anecdotal shit you've heard/read, especially after riding just two resorts, both in California. Got it.

Expand Quote
have you ever actually ridden in Europe? out here off-piste is part of the culture....that's all we do when the snow is good
[close]

No, but I wasnt ridiculous enough to make assumptions/presumptions about places I've never been.
ok thanks

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2021, 09:06:20 AM »
sorry BigDave, my bad.
I understand now, the US is number 1!! at everything!!
No criticism whatsover is allowed!
Feel better now?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2021, 09:22:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

La Grave is sick! Get ready to be up real fucking early though, you're competing against the hungriest lot for those untracked turns. I kinda love that though, that feeling of anticipation us great. And then you have like the whole system of Les Deux Alpes just a couple of lifts away..

damn I'm so jealous if you've been there! Now that I live in Belgium, with kids and everything, the Alps are far and my time is limited...It's the type of place you have to hit when it's right and I wonder if I'll ever get to go there before my body gives up.  :'(

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #252 on: January 20, 2021, 09:29:36 AM »
Isn’t it really just the resorts under Vail ownership that are lame as fuck and draconian? Independent resorts are pretty chill from my understanding.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #253 on: January 20, 2021, 09:47:10 AM »
sorry BigDave, my bad.
Feel better now?

Were definitely not #1 at everything. I also just spent a week in Colorado ducking ropes and riding where I wanted to.

I just dont like it when people talk out of their ass about things they dont know or havent experienced.
ok thanks

drewdc

• Rep: -85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #254 on: January 20, 2021, 02:09:43 PM »
Watch the Bomb Hole !!!

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2021, 02:41:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah I did. and I had a good time....at Bear Mountain and some Nor Cal resort, I can't remember which.But I've read A LOT of horror stories about people getting their passes pulled for going off-piste or just riding too fast. Which is just unfathomable to a Euro.

uhh every single american resort allows people off piste. I live in Colorado, we ski in the trees here at every resort. Yes there are places that are slow zones on groomers and you should respect the ski patrol who thought to designate that area a slow area. it's for a reason.

no one gets there pass pulled for going off piste unless its early season when terrain hasn't opened and someone is ducking a rope or riding in terrain that is considered closed.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2021, 12:32:24 AM »
Expand Quote
sorry BigDave, my bad.
Feel better now?
[close]

Were definitely not #1 at everything. I also just spent a week in Colorado ducking ropes and riding where I wanted to.

I just dont like it when people talk out of their ass about things they dont know or havent experienced.

apparently your reading skills aren't so good, so I've highlighted one important word in my original statement. seriously can you guys take any criticism of the ALLMIGHTY US instead of acting all righteous and offended? Shit the original point I was trying to make is that you guys are lucky cause all our resorts are closed this year.

Finally for those who don't want to believe me, here's what international snowboard media has to say about the subject.

https://whitelines.com/snowboard-travel/tips/under_the_ropes.html

shit apparently we don't even mean the same thing when we say 'off-piste'....maybe I should have said 'backcountry'. btw you guys realize English is not my native language? I'm editing this message right now to be less confrontational cause I don't like Internet drama....really never thought my post would start an argument.

https://www.snowsbest.com/off-piste-europe-north-america/

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 01:13:57 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2021, 01:23:42 AM »
well seems I was not so wrong after all....I've never heard of a pass being pulled in France, ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9UVFlb39WQ

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2021, 02:26:25 AM »
Got a telling off a few times in Breckenridge for riding too fast, but never actually had my pass taken off me.

I like riding in the US, the parks are legit (Keystone particularly). Having done a ton of riding in Europe it's a nice change of pace and different vibe to head stateside.

Was supposed to head out to Park city for 2 weeks last March but Covid put paid to that, the resort closed the day we were due to fly out.

Haven't strapped in for over a year now, no trips booked this winter as Europe is basically a no-go unless you are a local.

Mate of mine had his pass pulled in France on the last day of a trip for acid dropping off the chairlift... so it does happen if you do something stupid enough lol.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2021, 02:53:58 AM »
Got a telling off a few times in Breckenridge for riding too fast, but never actually had my pass taken off me.

I like riding in the US, the parks are legit (Keystone particularly). Having done a ton of riding in Europe it's a nice change of pace and different vibe to head stateside.

Was supposed to head out to Park city for 2 weeks last March but Covid put paid to that, the resort closed the day we were due to fly out.

Haven't strapped in for over a year now, no trips booked this winter as Europe is basically a no-go unless you are a local.

Mate of mine had his pass pulled in France on the last day of a trip for acid dropping off the chairlift... so it does happen if you do something stupid enough lol.

haha congrats to your mate! that's the first time I hear of something like that. and you're right, this winter seems fucked in Europe. My friends who live in the Alps go hiking but all French resorts are closed on government orders.
Although Swiss resorts are open apparently? But Switzerland is super expensive and Belgium is really cracking down on international travel at the moment. So probably no boarding for me this year..... :-\

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2021, 02:59:01 AM »
I have a couple of friends that made it out to Austria for the season, they basically have the whole of Mayrhofen to themselves from the pics i've seen. So yeah Austria could be an option, but actually getting there is another matter entirely.

A few of my mates are planning to do a cheap end of season trip to Joue Du Loup/Super Dev in April but I honestly can't see it happening...shame as that's usually a great week for getting drunk and riding slush in a mostly empty resort!

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2021, 08:31:21 AM »
I'm editing this message right now to be less confrontational cause I don't like Internet drama....really never thought my post would start an argument.

Again, I'll reiterate, it's annoying when people who havent experienced shit talk about shit as though it's fact. Do our resorts have rules? Yeah. Is it a monolith where every resort is run by brown shirts who boot you out at the first given opportunity based on your proclivity to go off-piste/backcountry/rope duck? Not hardly. It's a big country and every resort is different, even ones owned/operated by the larger companies (Alterra, Vail, etc)

I don't really feel obligated to be "less confrontational" (which you weren't, even after your post was edited). I mean, I think there's a good chance you're just fucking stupid. Nowhere in any post I did did I mention the US being good at anything or rah-rah or anything else...yet you've brought it up multiple times. No one is more critical of this shit bag, racist, right-wing fundamentalist, imperialist, capitalist shithole country than me.
ok thanks

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: January 23, 2021, 09:30:23 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm editing this message right now to be less confrontational cause I don't like Internet drama....really never thought my post would start an argument.

[close]

Again, I'll reiterate, it's annoying when people who havent experienced shit talk about shit as though it's fact. Do our resorts have rules? Yeah. Is it a monolith where every resort is run by brown shirts who boot you out at the first given opportunity based on your proclivity to go off-piste/backcountry/rope duck? Not hardly. It's a big country and every resort is different, even ones owned/operated by the larger companies (Alterra, Vail, etc)

I don't really feel obligated to be "less confrontational" (which you weren't, even after your post was edited). I mean, I think there's a good chance you're just fucking stupid. Nowhere in any post I did did I mention the US being good at anything or rah-rah or anything else...yet you've brought it up multiple times. No one is more critical of this shit bag, racist, right-wing fundamentalist, imperialist, capitalist shithole country than me.

Yeah ok I'm stupid....again, work on your reading skills, learn the difference between "seem" and "are", maybe learn a foreign language or two to round things out and then get back to me. actually don't, I'll just use the ignore button for the first time on this forum. Bye asshole.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #263 on: January 24, 2021, 08:16:46 AM »
Came up on a board & boots from my brother in law.
Dropped $300 on a helmet and snow pants.

Minus the expenses, snowboarding is great.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2021, 12:22:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah ok I'm stupid....again, work on your reading skills, learn the difference between "seem" and "are", maybe learn a foreign language or two to round things out and then get back to me. actually don't, I'll just use the ignore button for the first time on this forum. Bye asshole.

cry more en faitmon francais est plutot satisfaisant
ok thanks

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2021, 12:28:04 PM »

It's a real issue, the cost gatekeeping. That's why I like SHRED foundation and the Ojo Foundation and some of these other groups and what they're up to with creating better/more accessibility to the hill.

On another note, got an awesome hour of 10-12" pow tracks yesterday morning before it got blown out by insane lines and everything at the little resort was completely tracked out.

I probably picked the wrong resort to go to but wow was it ever good for that first hour.
ok thanks

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2021, 07:05:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's a real issue, the cost gatekeeping. That's why I like SHRED foundation and the Ojo Foundation and some of these other groups and what they're up to with creating better/more accessibility to the hill.

On another note, got an awesome hour of 10-12" pow tracks yesterday morning before it got blown out by insane lines and everything at the little resort was completely tracked out.

I probably picked the wrong resort to go to but wow was it ever good for that first hour.

The right resort makes all the difference.  Best day of my life(snowboarding) was at homewood resort.  The resort formerly known as squaw valley and alpine meadows are super awesome, with meadows being much better(yeah, I said it), but homewood on a powder day is the fucking jam.  We hit fresh powder runs from open until close whereas in an hour, or less, squaw et al are tracked out, chundered, and busy as fuck.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2021, 03:08:40 PM »
headed to Jackson Hole tomorrow, 13"-26" in the forecast for the 2 days we will be there. Psyched!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: January 27, 2021, 12:32:26 AM »
I really wish Candide Thovex and Arthur Longo did a vid together, it would be amazing.....(for those who have not seen it, the One of those Days series is kind of the skiing equivalent of Side Hits Euphoria....on steroids)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75uL12ZJTxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4PkJab6Mj8

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: January 27, 2021, 12:55:33 AM »
for reference....it's mental.
I don't know if you guys have ridden with real good skiers but these guys BLAST. pretty much impossible for a snowboarder to keep up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1NagZN2kjY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKP7jQknGjs