Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53447 times)

Skibb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #300 on: February 12, 2021, 02:46:54 PM »
Has this been posted? http://youtu.be/oo-Jk2-w74Y

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #301 on: February 12, 2021, 03:00:46 PM »

my friend has one of these at the warehouse where we work at to train/practice. He let me try it on Wednesday and even though the bindings felt super uncomfortable because they're set up for goofy stance and I've got a fractured left ankle it was incredibly fun (and exhausting). Any of you mess around with something like this?

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #302 on: February 12, 2021, 03:06:33 PM »
oh yea. We used to just make something similar in my buddies back yard when it was to warm  for us to blow snow (with a homemade snowmaker), and set up the drop in. Lots of fun steezin out some tricks you'd probably never thrown down on anything substantial, and it certainly helped get the form down on certain tricks you would be willing to bring to a rail
Proverbs 27:17

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #303 on: February 12, 2021, 06:55:02 PM »
Are snowboard companies comparable to skateboard companies?

For example, is Forum sort of like Shorty's?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #304 on: February 12, 2021, 09:15:48 PM »
This question would be better if asked like 20 years ago

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2021, 04:20:24 AM »

my friend has one of these at the warehouse where we work at to train/practice. He let me try it on Wednesday and even though the bindings felt super uncomfortable because they're set up for goofy stance and I've got a fractured left ankle it was incredibly fun (and exhausting). Any of you mess around with something like this?

Pretty easy to DIY one... made this a few years back out of a block of wood and a foam Yoga tube thing. Good laugh in the summer.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #306 on: February 16, 2021, 06:56:23 PM »
Thinking about getting new bindings.

My board isn’t great but it is fast enough if I hot wax and the edges are in good shape.

I bought rear entry bindings (flow) five years ago and they kill my ankles.

Anyone have good success with bindings not hurting?

I wear a middle of the road soft vans encore. Great boot comfort wise but my bindings dig in.

Don’t want to spend a lot.

Was thinking entry level union freestyle would work. According to their website they are the loose trucks of bindings.

I ride packed powder in the northeast. No jibbing.

Thanks

https://unionbindingcompany.com/products/flite-pro?variant=32609284915305

Or, this one looks like the ankle strap is really comfortable.

https://fixbindingco.com/collections/mens-bindings/products/yale-20-21?variant=32735653462070

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:21:40 PM by GardenSkater77 »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #307 on: February 17, 2021, 12:58:45 AM »
Union are not that great. Loose bindings are for ankle mobility, which is mainly for jibbing.

I’d recommend something a bit stiffer. Burton makes a good range of bindings, but my personal favorites are Rome’s.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Skatebeard

« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2021, 02:10:56 AM »
Union Force if you want something more all mountain oriented within that brand, responsive without being crazy twitchy... i've been riding Unions for years and have zero compaints on the durability side of things.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #309 on: February 17, 2021, 08:26:15 PM »
These look like a good deal...

https://www.shredshop.com/salomon-alibi-pro-snowboard-bindings-2021-pr5a10378/p?skuId=8067322

Or these:

https://www.evo.com/snowboard-bindings/flux-pr#image=161289/659733/flux-pr-snowboard-bindings-2021-.jpg

Pickings are slim right now.

The Unions @Skatebeard has are $250 and the Rome’s that @cucktard seems to be referring to seem to be about the same.

If you vote one way or the other I would appreciate the advice.

Alternatively, if anyone has some 1-2 year old large bindings you want to sell we can chop it up.

Thanks, GS77

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #310 on: February 17, 2021, 08:57:09 PM »
These look like a good deal...

https://www.shredshop.com/salomon-alibi-pro-snowboard-bindings-2021-pr5a10378/p?skuId=8067322

Or these:

https://www.evo.com/snowboard-bindings/flux-pr#image=161289/659733/flux-pr-snowboard-bindings-2021-.jpg

Pickings are slim right now.

The Unions @Skatebeard has are $250 and the Rome’s that @cucktard seems to be referring to seem to be about the same.

If you vote one way or the other I would appreciate the advice.

Alternatively, if anyone has some 1-2 year old large bindings you want to sell we can chop it up.

Thanks, GS77

I say have a look at some of the ride bindings. Alternatively the Burton cartel are a solid pick. I’ve got two pairs of them and they seem indestructible. Evo is my go to for ordering online but occasionally backcountry

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #311 on: February 17, 2021, 09:08:36 PM »
Either of those bindings should be fine for regular riding.

The more important question might be what boots are you using

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #312 on: February 17, 2021, 09:13:45 PM »
https://www.vans.com/shop/mens-encore-snowboard-boot-black-gum

3 season back but they are boa.

Always liked vans for snowboarding.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #313 on: February 17, 2021, 09:20:54 PM »
You should be fine.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #314 on: February 18, 2021, 06:37:52 AM »
90% rider, 10% gear.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #315 on: February 18, 2021, 07:18:36 AM »
Im in the process of unloading my unions and probably switching to bent metals. I will keep a pair or two (I really like how my Atlas pairs with my BSOD) but I keep having some of those common problems with loosening etc.
ok thanks

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #316 on: February 18, 2021, 07:31:48 AM »
90% rider, 10% gear.

What a silly comment. I’m just looking for a decent set of bindings that are comfortable.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I just ordered the Solomon bindings because they seem to be frequently reviewed and I save $80.00 cause apparently no one wants ‘champagne’ color way. Also, they seem to be comparable to the other bindings you guys use or recommend.

Appreciate the help guys.

And Telly...since gear isn’t important I’d be happy to sell you a pair of 5 year old Flow large bindings for $75.00 shipped (lower 48).

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #317 on: February 18, 2021, 07:42:40 AM »
Im in the process of unloading my unions and probably switching to bent metals. I will keep a pair or two (I really like how my Atlas pairs with my BSOD) but I keep having some of those common problems with loosening etc.

Care to sell? I could still cancel my order. My board is a hunk too. Got any extra?

I’m 6.1 with size 12 so I am sure we can swap gear.

If you want to consider I can cancel my order. No Biggie. I can always use my current bindings.

Let me know...

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #318 on: February 18, 2021, 09:11:39 AM »
I don’t know much about snowboard gear, shit is just fun for me, but the tooless adjuster on my heel popped right out my brand new Unions the first day, at the top of the mountain. Pretty pissed and hope they can hook me up with a new one.

Wish I came in here and consulted with Cucktard before scooping a set up, you seem to know your shit. I kinda do all terrain, from powder to ice, lil park here and there

Rome Stale Crewzer
Union Scotty’s
Nike Vapen

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #319 on: February 18, 2021, 10:36:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Care to sell? I could still cancel my order. My board is a hunk too. Got any extra?

If you want to consider I can cancel my order. No Biggie. I can always use my current bindings.

Let me know...

No extra boards, I probably wont sell any bindings until pre-season next year. Good luck though!
ok thanks

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #320 on: February 18, 2021, 11:11:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Let me know...
[close]

No extra boards, I probably wont sell any bindings until pre-season next year. Good luck though!

Thanks bro. My Binding order got cancelled. Ha. And Craig’s list ain’t as fruitful as it used to be.

Would love to buy a $600 set up but then I think—that’s 10 lift tickets.

Not this year though. Shits gotten so expensive.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #321 on: February 18, 2021, 12:15:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Let me know...
[close]

[close]

Thanks bro. My Binding order got cancelled. Ha. And Craig’s list ain’t as fruitful as it used to be.

This is for me, made me feel personally attacked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFwrOPT6PIs

My shit is kinda wild. I am getting at least a set of bindings tomorrow, maybe a new board. Next season I want to add a Rome Ravine Select and DOD or Katana bindings and do a full Rome kit.
ok thanks

biggerdave

• Rep: -23
« Reply #322 on: February 18, 2021, 03:36:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Let me know...
[close]

[close]

[close]

This is for me, made me feel personally attacked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFwrOPT6PIs

My shit is kinda wild. I am getting at least a set of bindings tomorrow, maybe a new board. Next season I want to add a Rome Ravine Select and DOD or Katana bindings and do a full Rome kit.

Must suck to just be bigdave.
#freedrewSTEADMAN

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #323 on: February 18, 2021, 06:23:09 PM »
I'm secretly a member of the snowboard industry. AMA.

Telly

« Reply #324 on: February 18, 2021, 06:25:33 PM »
I'm secretly a member of the snowboard industry. AMA.

You’re not very good at secrets, eh.

Telly

« Reply #325 on: February 18, 2021, 06:35:43 PM »
Expand Quote
90% rider, 10% gear.
[close]

What a silly comment. I’m just looking for a decent set of bindings that are comfortable.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I just ordered the Solomon bindings because they seem to be frequently reviewed and I save $80.00 cause apparently no one wants ‘champagne’ color way. Also, they seem to be comparable to the other bindings you guys use or recommend.

And Telly...since gear isn’t important I’d be happy to sell you a pair of 5 year old Flow large bindings for $75.00 shipped (lower 48).

I ride burtons.  I currently rock the genesis but also have a pair of malavitas a couple years newer(which if you’re familiar with burtons trickle down technology type program, means they are about the same binding.  So no, I don’t want your garbage flows. 
The problem was your question.  Asking for something that’s “comfortable” is ridiculous.  For example, burton sells a shitload of cartels, but when I used them they hurt my feet so badly I thought something was messed up(stress fracture maybe). Then I went back to some missions and problem was gone.  But I had never heard anything bad about the cartel, and it was probably the most popular binding at the time(2005-2008 sometime). So silly is expecting to get a good recommendation for you based on someone else’s anatomy.
Just buy any burton or union, they got shit nailed down. 

In the interest Of olive branches: right now would be the time to start scouring cl and fb marketplace for good deals on snowboard purchased for covid purchases.  Deals will be better next spring, but a wave of barely used equipment is coming. 

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: February 18, 2021, 07:59:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
90% rider, 10% gear.
[close]

[close]

I ride burtons.  I currently rock the genesis but also have a pair of malavitas a couple years newer(which if you’re familiar with burtons trickle down technology type program, means they are about the same binding.  So no, I don’t want your garbage flows. 
The problem was your question.  Asking for something that’s “comfortable” is ridiculous.  For example, burton sells a shitload of cartels, but when I used them they hurt my feet so badly I thought something was messed up(stress fracture maybe). Then I went back to some missions and problem was gone.  But I had never heard anything bad about the cartel, and it was probably the most popular binding at the time(2005-2008 sometime). So silly is expecting to get a good recommendation for you based on someone else’s anatomy.
Just buy any burton or union, they got shit nailed down. 

In the interest Of olive branches: right now would be the time to start scouring cl and fb marketplace for good deals on snowboard purchased for covid purchases.  Deals will be better next spring, but a wave of barely used equipment is coming.

It is a fair point that each foot is different but you also admit that flow bindings are garbage. I have never had bindings I like and that were comfortable on my feet. So, I am really interested in the bindings with the 3D molded straps.

I actually just spent the last 2 hours trying to fine tune my flow bindings cause we got 10 inches and there is an abandoned ski hill 30 min. From my house that I hike. Maybe I can squeeze one more season out of these shitty things and just buy a complete.

Telly

« Reply #327 on: February 18, 2021, 09:00:09 PM »
I do believe the flow system is crap. But I also believe that it’s 90/10 rider/gear.
I’m a much better snowboarder than skateboarder.  Let’s be real, it’s a lot easier and being a long time skateboarder allowed me to be comfortable standing sideways, so my learning curve was probably lesser.
Buuut, in my original response I didn’t say anything bad about flows because that was irrelevant.  I know I could take beat to shit rental gear and rip as well as 90% percent of the snowboarders at my local area.  So I guess my point was don’t worry too much about your gear.  Yes, there are advantages to better stuff but you can ride anything, so don’t worry too much about it.
Also find a way to get a discount.
Also, sigh, check “the house.”

Skatebeard

« Reply #328 on: February 18, 2021, 11:42:13 PM »
Pro tip after 10+ years of riding Unions - on a brand new set, strip them down and loctite the bolts.

Once you do that they should pretty much never let you down, but the factory loctite they use is fairly rubbish, in the early days I lost a bolt or two on the hill on new pairs.

I don't buy snowboard gear with anything like the voracity I used to, my mountain stick is a 14/15 Capita Ultrafear which pretty much does it all to a reasonable degree...and that's got a pair of Union Forces on it which must be coming up 8 years old now.

Riding rails indoors tanks your gear a lot faster, when I was riding indoor snow every week I would get through a couple of boards a year no bother...

I'm actually a park shaper at my local indoor slope, but it's been closed since pretty much this time last year due to Covid. Haven't strapped in since I had a concussion Jan last year, this has been the longest i've not ridden in about 15 years.

Get friendly with the distros, always a good way to get discounted gear that's kicking around the warehouse. I've had more than a few cheap boards over the years from talking to the right people.

Flow bindings are dogshit... stick with Union, Rome or Burton.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #329 on: February 19, 2021, 02:23:10 AM »
I don’t know much about snowboard gear, shit is just fun for me, but the tooless adjuster on my heel popped right out my brand new Unions the first day, at the top of the mountain. Pretty pissed and hope they can hook me up with a new one.

Wish I came in here and consulted with Cucktard before scooping a set up, you seem to know your shit. I kinda do all terrain, from powder to ice, lil park here and there

Rome Stale Crewzer
Union Scotty’s
Nike Vapen

Thanks. My winter gig is instructing. Been riding since ‘87. I try to keep up with what’s happening, although my own gear is all several years old, I just try to use it as long as possible.

As for the 90% rider, 10% gear, that only applies to fucking rulers that can shred anything.

The rest of us have to make it as easy and comfortable as we can. Good gear for the right conditions can change lives.