Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53427 times)

Telly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #330 on: February 19, 2021, 01:03:56 PM »

As for the 90% rider, 10% gear, that only applies to fucking rulers that can shred anything.

I know I’m good, but I wouldn’t have classified myself as a “ruler.”  I will now

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #331 on: February 19, 2021, 01:25:14 PM »
Ha didn’t know I was a “ruler” either.

90/10 rider/gear definitely makes sense. Lotta snowboarders are elitists about gear, shits pretty kooky. People on little east coast mountains will shun me once I mention I only rode rentals for 10+ years, while those same people would not be able to keep up with said rental at places like Jacksonhole and Snowbird. It is such a privileged activity though, bound to be some snobs.

That said once you have your own complete there’s no going back.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #332 on: February 19, 2021, 01:55:57 PM »

90/10 rider/gear definitely makes sense. Lotta snowboarders are elitists about gear, shits pretty kooky. People on little east coast mountains will shun me once I mention I only rode rentals for 10+ years, while those same people would not be able to keep up with said rental at places like Jacksonhole and Snowbird. It is such a privileged activity though, bound to be some snobs.

Where were you at? Hunter? That place is a little to ritzy for my taste.

Check out Belleayre next time you go to the Catskills.

It was built by the locals before Whiteface/Gore purchased.

They used to have $30.00 Wednesday tickets and a great bar at the bottom of the hill.

https://www.belleayre.com/

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #333 on: February 19, 2021, 02:25:28 PM »
When I say ‘rule’, I don’t mean you can do 5’s on rental equipment.

I mean you can charge anything, if it’s a 145 or a 171, lay down trenches, rip an alpine board switch, throw down 7s on a split board with a full pack.

I really mean get on ANY board and kill it.

I’ve only seen a couple of people that can do this, with that kind of talent where the board really doesn’t matter. And while I don’t know any of you personally, I highly doubt you are included in the above.

If you don’t get the irony of complaining snowboarders do this too much while posting on the official skateboard site of gear snobbery, you’re lost.

And since most rippers skate too, it’s a moot point anyways to compare ‘snowboarders’ to ‘skaters’. It’s pretty much the same thing.

When I say equipment matters, I mean as an instructor, I see people struggle with improper equipment all the time. Not sized right, not the right camber for what they want to do, etc. I’m not talking about brands or models. I’m talking about having equipment that gives you the most help to achieve whatever you are trying to do, be it pow, park, or freeriding.

I use old equipment too. I get most of my stuff from the second-hand stores. It’s not about ‘gear snobbery’. It’s about having shit that fits you and helps you more than hinders you.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Telly

« Reply #334 on: February 19, 2021, 03:05:53 PM »

I mean you can charge anything, if it’s a 145 or a 171, lay down trenches, rip an alpine board switch, throw down 7s on a split board with a full pack.

I’ve only seen a couple of people that can do this, with that kind of talent where the board really doesn’t matter. And while I don’t know any of you personally, I highly doubt you are included in the above.

If you don’t get the irony of complaining snowboarders do this too much while posting on the official skateboard site of gear snobbery, you’re lost.

And since most rippers skate too, it’s a moot point anyways to compare ‘snowboarders’ to ‘skaters’. It’s pretty much the same thing.

When I say equipment matters, I mean as an instructor, I see people struggle with improper equipment all the time. Not sized right, not the right camber for what they want to do, etc. I’m not talking about brands or models. I’m talking about having equipment that gives you the most help to achieve whatever you are trying to do, be it pow, park, or freeriding.

I use old equipment too. I get most of my stuff from the second-hand stores. It’s not about ‘gear snobbery’. It’s about having shit that fits you and helps you more than hinders you.

Nobody is ripping an alpine board switch.  Unless you’re talking about a “free riding” board(think burton supermodel or similar tapered, set back board).  But if you’re taking about a hard booted, ski binding-esque alpine board, nobody is doing that.  Travis rice would struggle with both feet pointed uphill trying to turn.

I do agree that fit is important.  If your boots are too big and your heel lifts up inside your boot then yeah, you’re going to struggle.  But millions of people learned to ski or snowboard before Shane McConkey mounted a pair of water skis and rode down an Alaskan mountain face.  So it can be done.  Maybe not as easily as reverse camber or early rise tips, but still very doable. 
If you can do 5’s on rental equipment you’re still probably in the top 20% of riders, because that’s difficult. 

But me personally, I will charge anything.  14” of powder at keystone and I ripped everything with a 146 nug because its 90% rider and 10% equipment.  I could do it just as easily on a 170, but I like to turn more than twice and I don’t own a 170.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #335 on: February 19, 2021, 03:50:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Where were you at? Hunter? That place is a little to ritzy for my taste.

Check out Belleayre next time you go to the Catskills.

It was built by the locals before Whiteface/Gore purchased.

They used to have $30.00 Wednesday tickets and a great bar at the bottom of the hill.

https://www.belleayre.com/

I’ve actually never been to Belleayre, is it fun? I didn’t mind Hunter, feel like Windham has better stuff for a Catskill mountain but I’m not tryna pay Windham prices for a Catskill mountain haha.

Sheesh talk about a reactionary response. I wasn’t calling you a snob good sir, unless the shoe fits. All I said is that I’ve had multiple instances where people literally do not continue the conversation once I mention I’ve rented the past decade plus, which comes across as snobby.

Of course you want your shit to fit correctly..

Telly

« Reply #336 on: February 19, 2021, 04:01:02 PM »
I’m out of olive branches, so...

What’s the difference between god and a snowboard instructor?
God doesn’t think s/he can teach people how to snowboard.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #337 on: February 19, 2021, 06:01:05 PM »
@YungJugg

Belleayre is the best mountain south of VT.

It is 30 min. West of Kingston, NY so no one really knows about it.

It doesn’t have restaurants, just a bar with food.

It’s deep in the woods so the wind doesn’t cut through like at Hunter.

They have glades and the ski patrol never bothers you.

They also have border cross that they leave open.

It is the most relaxed least corporate mountain.

Kinda like Okemo vs. Killington even though I’ve never been to Killington.

Belleayre reminds me of a smaller Okemo.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #338 on: February 19, 2021, 07:48:46 PM »

Nobody is ripping an alpine board switch.  Unless you’re talking about a “free riding” board(think burton supermodel or similar tapered, set back board).  But if you’re taking about a hard booted, ski binding-esque alpine board, nobody is doing that.  Travis rice would struggle with both feet pointed uphill trying to turn.

You don’t know who I know.

But millions of people learned to ski or snowboard before Shane McConkey mounted a pair of water skis and rode down an Alaskan mountain face.  So it can be done.  Maybe not as easily as reverse camber

This is my exact point. Shane can do it because he’s a fucking monster. The rest of us need good equipment to do anything close. EQUIPMENT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

But me personally, I will charge anything.  14” of powder at keystone and I ripped everything with a 146 nug because its 90% rider and 10% equipment.  I could do it just as easily on a 170, but I like to turn more than twice and I don’t own a 170.

Oh,, you ‘ripped’ shin-deep powder? So what?

This also demonstrates the point. You have obviously never ridden shitty equipment. Primitive stuff where basic riding is challenging. And to see someone truly talented be able to rip on it.

I’m a mediocre rider. I’ve managed to get good enough to instruct mostly from sheer time on the board, AS WELL AS ADVANCES IN TECH THAT ALLOW ME TO DO SHIT I COULDN'T DO OTHERWISE.

Goddamn right what you use can help or hinder you. You, deluding yourself into thinking you’re doing something special riding in powder on a short board. The is not special, especially when you are riding a high-end volume-shifted board with a rocker. No shit it can ride powder. Nugs are fine in powder. In this case the board is helping you. It’s designed to.

Not hindering you like a cambered 147 from the 90’s would have.

I’m not saying equipment is everything. Of course the rider is the most important thing.

But when you play down how much the right equipment can help you, it’s obvious you’ve never tried to shred on shit equipment.

To make it clear, the only people this ‘90% rider 10% equipment’ idea is relavant to us pros. They are so good that they can ride equipment that would hinder anyone else.

It’s specifically because equipment can hinder or help the majority of us is why I want to make this point.

If you hold onto the 90% rider idea, and advice you give to ‘normal’ people will be shit. You’re basically telling a normal rider that equipment doesn’t matter, when in fact it can make a huge difference.

That attitude is what I want to avoid in this thread, so people asking for advice will get good advice, not just ‘ride better. It’s all on you, bro’.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:18:15 PM by cucktard »

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #339 on: February 19, 2021, 08:40:31 PM »
I shit you not, this is the first ‘real’ snowboard I ever rode:

Had the worst snowboarding night of my life with Sorel boots and a snowboard with fins not edges. I kept falling going up the rope toe. Kept getting thrown by the ski ruts.

No one could rip on that hunk.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 09:06:33 PM by GardenSkater77 »

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #340 on: February 19, 2021, 08:57:00 PM »
I’m out of olive branches, so...

What’s the difference between god and a snowboard instructor?
God doesn’t think s/he can teach people how to snowboard.

Instructors were the worst when I was working the lifts for a few years. They thought they were as privileged as patrol (they’re not) to try and get past the full lift line and would always think the owned the mountain. Was always good to see the park crew or lifties go straight after the instructors off a hit/rail/jump and one up them every time.

Telly

« Reply #341 on: February 19, 2021, 10:41:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You don’t know who I know.

Calling straight bullshit on this. 

Expand Quote
But millions of people learned to ski or snowboard before Shane McConkey mounted a pair of water skis and rode down an Alaskan mountain face.  So it can be done.  Maybe not as easily as reverse camber
[close]

This is my exact point. Shane can do it because he’s a fucking monster. The rest of us need good equipment to do anything close. EQUIPMENT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

My point was that pre Shane’s lines, everything was done on positive cambered equipment and a lot of people skied in the 80’s.  A lot. 

Expand Quote
[close]

Oh,, you ‘ripped’ shin-deep powder? So what?

Well, a) powder is way more difficult to ride in and if I had a supermodel or Malalo or whatever today’s pow boards are called I would have ridden it but I didn’t so I ripped anyway on the board I have instead of renting something tapered and set back to facilitate float.   90/10. And b) Midwest born and raised and I kept up with anybody and passed almost everybody else.   I am a good snowboarder, it’s one of the few things I am very confident doing.  I’ve also ridden Sierra cement on a 158 custom(cambered) and did the same thing.  In that case I moved my bindings back and didn’t ride switch but it worked well and I had a great time. 

This also demonstrates the point. You have obviously never ridden shitty equipment. Primitive stuff where basic riding is challenging. And to see someone truly talented be able to rip on it.
I learned to snowboard in college while working at a crappy Midwest resort on rental equipment at a time when snowboards were expensive and used equipment wasn’t floating around Craigslist and fb marketplace.  So I used free rentals for two seasons.  Whatever you think that means and the first board I bought was an air walk for $80 and frankenbindings from various sources.  The board had a foam core and would practically bend in half.  Then it snapped in half when I caught an edge landing about 90 degrees shy of where I had meant be. 

I’m a mediocre rider. I’ve managed to get good enough to instruct mostly from sheer time on the board, AS WELL AS ADVANCES IN TECH THAT ALLOW ME TO DO SHIT I COULDN'T DO OTHERWISE.

Goddamn right what you use can help or hinder you. You, deluding yourself into thinking you’re doing something special riding in powder on a short board. The is not special, especially when you are riding a high-end volume-shifted board with a rocker. No shit it can ride powder. Nugs are fine in powder. In this case the board is helping you. It’s designed to.

Nugs are great in powder.  And groomers. Slush. Park.  Everywhere.

Not hindering you like a cambered 147 from the 90’s would have.

I’m not saying equipment is everything. Of course the rider is the most important thing.

But when you play down how much the right equipment can help you, it’s obvious you’ve never tried to shred on shit equipment.

To make it clear, the only people this ‘90% rider 10% equipment’ idea is relavant to us pros. They are so good that they can ride equipment that would hinder anyone else.

It’s specifically because equipment can hinder or help the majority of us is why I want to make this point.

If you hold onto the 90% rider idea, and advice you give to ‘normal’ people will be shit. You’re basically telling a normal rider that equipment doesn’t matter, when in fact it can make a huge difference.

That attitude is what I want to avoid in this thread, so people asking for advice will get good advice, not just ‘ride better. It’s all on you, bro’.

So you just want to blame your budget for your lack of advancement?   I don’t know what to say.  Go for it. 
Of course your equipment can help or hinder you, but it helps or hinders, not allows or disallows.   
Personally I got a good deal on some burton genesis bindings so I bought them.  Love em.  Great bindings.  Excellent straps.  Then a couple years later I got a great deal on some malavitas.  It’s a step down in “performance” but they are also very nice bindings so of course I bought them because 90/10.
When I slip out landing or skid a turn I make a mental note to correct what I did wrong next time, not wish I had equipment that would allow me to be better without being better. 
Fuck man, how is this hard?  Give me any skateboard and I will heelflip it.  If I have unlimited tries.(fuck off if you mention penny boards) And it will never be any fault of the skateboard(in design, shape, grip tape brand) when I miss.

90/10 was never suggesting he should ride better, but not to worry too much about his gear and just ride. 

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #342 on: February 20, 2021, 10:25:06 AM »
What’s funny is I’m living the sub-par product dream.

2007 Morrow $80 on Craig’s List
2012 Flow Trilogy bought in 2015 from Evo for $129
2015 Vans Encore on sale for $140 in 2015 (great boots though)

Advantages are I never have to lock my board up and I grind granite w/o hesitation.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #343 on: February 21, 2021, 08:27:12 PM »

Telly

« Reply #344 on: February 21, 2021, 08:53:07 PM »
If you’re thinking that might be about the ballsiest move ever done on a snowboard then we do agree on something

Telly

« Reply #345 on: February 21, 2021, 08:53:33 PM »
Was it on purpose? 

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #346 on: February 22, 2021, 12:40:32 PM »
yea that wallride was crazy,saw that the other day.

You requipment will definetly help the rider to a certain degree. If I ride a softer board, I get soo much chatter on groomers and whatnot goin fast - but not with my main board - custom x. Same for camber and whatnot. That Flying V rocker stuff sucks on grommers - good fo jibbing and stuff, but thats not my cup of tea.

Equipment isnt everything, but it will really help to a certain degree (and make your day allot more pleasureable).

Telly

« Reply #347 on: February 22, 2021, 01:13:04 PM »

You requipment will definetly help the rider to a certain degree. If I ride a softer board, I get soo much chatter on groomers and whatnot goin fast - but not with my main board - custom x. Same for camber and whatnot. That Flying V rocker stuff sucks on grommers - good fo jibbing and stuff, but thats not my cup of tea.

Equipment isnt everything, but it will really help to a certain degree (and make your day allot more pleasureable).

Blah blah blah blame the equipment.

sbmfj

« Reply #348 on: February 23, 2021, 10:52:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Blah blah blah blame the equipment.

You must be Gods gift to snowboarding then. Youre def better than I am.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: February 23, 2021, 01:03:49 PM »
Went hiking and abandon ski hill with my 8 YO son this past Saturday. He was standing on my board in the bindings just cruising down the hill and bailing when he got going too fast. Found a board on craigslist and bought it for him last night. Boots, board and bindings for $125. He’s out on the local hill right now figuring it out with his mom. Hoping he’ll stick with it so I’ll have a wing man to go to the local resorts with.

I’m hopeful this is a gateway to skateboarding, which he is currently scared to do right now.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: February 23, 2021, 02:21:38 PM »
Went hiking and abandon ski hill with my 8 YO son this past Saturday. He was standing on my board in the bindings just cruising down the hill and bailing when he got going too fast. Found a board on craigslist and bought it for him last night. Boots, board and bindings for $125. He’s out on the local hill right now figuring it out with his mom. Hoping he’ll stick with it so I’ll have a wing man to go to the local resorts with.

I’m hopeful this is a gateway to skateboarding, which he is currently scared to do right now.

If you can spare the cash, I recommend a lesson. If you don’t have the cash, find a beginner instructor and offer them some beer in exchange  for a lesson.

There are definitely easier and harder ways to learn. I learned on my own, and what took me 3 weeks to figure out on my own (with lots of crashing) can be learned safely in an afternoon, with a good instructor.

You get turning and having fun faster, with less falls.

Of course most people eventually figure it out, but it takes longer, and they might pick up some habits like kicking the board around.

Either way, I hope he loves it and it works out for you.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #351 on: February 23, 2021, 02:28:18 PM »
Forgive the redbull link. Kings and Queens of Corbet's is one of my favorite ski/snowboard contests of the year.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/live/kings-and-queens-of-corbets
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #352 on: February 23, 2021, 03:35:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you can spare the cash, I recommend a lesson. If you don’t have the cash, find a beginner instructor and offer them some beer in exchange  for a lesson.

There are definitely easier and harder ways to learn. I learned on my own, and what took me 3 weeks to figure out on my own (with lots of crashing) can be learned safely in an afternoon, with a good instructor.

You get turning and having fun faster, with less falls.

Of course most people eventually figure it out, but it takes longer, and they might pick up some habits like kicking the board around.

Either way, I hope he loves it and it works out for you.

Thanks bro.

I believe your kids are younger right?

With my daughter I bought a teach and ride. It was good. They had a mini half pipe on a slight incline so they could carve and pump.

She wasn’t that interested but my son has a perfect stance.

I’ll probably do the same with him.

Kids nowadays want instant gratification so I doubt my son would tolerate the abuse I put myself through learning to snowboard. Being lapped and teased until I was able to keep up.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: February 23, 2021, 04:18:25 PM »
I have a 2-year old.
Was going to start her on skis, but got a Burton ringlet from a friend and am surprised how well it works.

At this point it’s still 90% playing in the snow to 10% strapped in, but she likes it, and is starting to use her edges.

A point will come when she’ll stop listening to me, and it will be better for someone else to teach her. At that point I’ll put her in lessons.

But learning sideslipping on toes and heels first (basic speed control)  before just letting them go straight and crash helps them get confidence.

Unless you got the kind of kid who likes eating shit. In that case, let ‘em learn some on their own.

sbmfj

« Reply #354 on: February 23, 2021, 06:46:14 PM »
Snoboarding didnt work for my 3 YO at all. I also bought a ringlet. Hed stand on it, and slide donw abit. Even got him a few lessons as they tend to listen to a teacher a little more. Didnt really work out either.

We decided to put him on skis, in a group lesson type of thing the following year. After his 2nd lesson we hit the chair!  Skiing was quite a bit easier for my son to learn and its kinda win win all around as we can actually hit some trails together. My youngest son went right to skis as well - started at 3, did ok, but allot better this year. We hit the family style glades last sat. He got stuck in the snow, was funny. He didnt think it was that funny though...

Its a great family activity, so good luck with your son, I hope he picks it up. Like someone above mentioned, splurge for a lesson if you can, it can really help!

Good luck!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #355 on: February 24, 2021, 01:54:37 PM »
Forgive the redbull link. Kings and Queens of Corbet's is one of my favorite ski/snowboard contests of the year.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/live/kings-and-queens-of-corbets
thanks for that. I’ll check it out later on today.

And if you don’t know about Chad Otterstrom’s insta, you are missing out. This man is a goddamn National treasure. Easily the best snowboard insta I know of

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLp_OlPjfV7/?igshid=28b72gea91nk
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 06:38:04 PM by cucktard »

sbmfj

« Reply #356 on: February 24, 2021, 04:20:33 PM »
Ill give him a follow for sure.

Check @beau_bishop I enjoy his page.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #357 on: March 07, 2021, 05:46:03 PM »
Just a follow-up...

Decided to buy a complete. Figure this board will last until I have to change my riding style from all mountain freestyle to just all mountain.

For bindings I ordered K2 Formulas cause I got a deal on last year’s bindings for $154. Seems like they are a solid middle of the road binding.

For a board I was thinking of getting the Gnu Antigravity but I don’t think I would like Magne Traction. I need a wide deck so I was thinking of getting a volume shift deck. Since I rarely see anything more than artificial snow I was thinking a shorter deck would be more like a skateboard.

I’ve had the K2 Party Platter 152 in my cart but I am in no rush because a bunch of different sellers are offering 20% discount right now.

Anyone got any suggestions? Also, how do you guys feel about Magne Traction? Too catchy?

Any board brands you guys like? Thanks.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #358 on: March 07, 2021, 07:26:37 PM »
Just a follow-up...

Decided to buy a complete. Figure this board will last until I have to change my riding style from all mountain freestyle to just all mountain.

For bindings I ordered K2 Formulas cause I got a deal on last year’s bindings for $154. Seems like they are a solid middle of the road binding.

For a board I was thinking of getting the Gnu Antigravity but I don’t think I would like Magne Traction. I need a wide deck so I was thinking of getting a volume shift deck. Since I rarely see anything more than artificial snow I was thinking a shorter deck would be more like a skateboard.

I’ve had the K2 Party Platter 152 in my cart but I am in no rush because a bunch of different sellers are offering 20% discount right now.

Anyone got any suggestions? Also, how do you guys feel about Magne Traction? Too catchy?

Any board brands you guys like? Thanks.

Just some thoughts

Short boards are fun if you like to jib and spin. But because they’re so short, they won’t give you much edge grip if your local is usually icy.

A longer board will help with that.

Same goes for the camber profile. Rocker boards are deigned to be playful, which means less surface in contact with the snow. In something like powder, this works well. But on hard pack, it can squirrely.

Like someone will likely chime in, it’s not the board, it’s all on you. Yes, you can use short, rockered boards on ice. But it just makes things harder.

So I recommend something average or a bit longer rather than shorter, and with traditional camber.

And even if you want to spin and do tricks, as long as the board isn’t too stiff, it should be fine.

Magnetraction kind of helps on ice actually. It’s there to offset the problems created by the rockers all Lib Tech boards have. And actually a lot of board companies, like Burton actually use a very subtle type of magnetraction under the feet to help with grip. Lin Tech’s is just more extreme.

Most board companies make decent stuff, it’s just finding out what you mainly want to ride and how you want to ride and narrow down from there.

Want to do a lot of switch? Get a twin. Not much switch? A directional will be better. Looks like you already know that last part with picking an antigravity.

I use a cambered twin, a Rome MOD that works well for what I want to do. But I’ve heard the new ones are garbage, so I can’t recommend anything from this year.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 08:08:57 PM by cucktard »

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #359 on: March 07, 2021, 08:32:29 PM »
i feel obligated to give snowboarding another shot given that i have moved to Vancouver since i last tried it. probably a slightly better time when you're not driving 4 hours to a hill made out of garbage