Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53432 times)

artskool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #360 on: March 08, 2021, 11:08:26 AM »
Anybody catch roller surfer Ben snowboarding on IG? I don't know if it's possible to repost, but check his stories. He rips, of course.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #361 on: March 09, 2021, 07:57:16 AM »
What the insta handle?

2th, I envy you. 2 hr drive to whistler from Van right? what about Grouse and mT Seymour. Are they closer to Van?

And Camber all the way. Like Cucktard said, rockers are for jibs and stuff - they suck balls on groomers.

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #362 on: March 09, 2021, 12:43:41 PM »
yee 2 hours to whistler and the other two are super close. i dont know how close cause i havent gone myself but i work with people who go before a late shift so must be pretty easy to get to. i think you can take transit at lest most of the way there cause i always see people coming from north van with skis

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #363 on: March 09, 2021, 02:03:01 PM »
yee 2 hours to whistler and the other two are super close. i dont know how close cause i havent gone myself but i work with people who go before a late shift so must be pretty easy to get to. i think you can take transit at lest most of the way there cause i always see people coming from north van with skis

Really easy to get to. 30-40 minutes from downtown by car  if the traffic is good.
And 3 really good hills. I worked Cypress for a season, you have night skiing too.

The only thing that sucks is sometimes the rain.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #364 on: March 09, 2021, 03:50:38 PM »
yeah i gotta go up there. no excuses once i get my shot lol

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #365 on: March 09, 2021, 04:11:45 PM »
Just a follow-up...

Decided to buy a complete. Figure this board will last until I have to change my riding style from all mountain freestyle to just all mountain.

For bindings I ordered K2 Formulas cause I got a deal on last year’s bindings for $154. Seems like they are a solid middle of the road binding.

For a board I was thinking of getting the Gnu Antigravity but I don’t think I would like Magne Traction. I need a wide deck so I was thinking of getting a volume shift deck. Since I rarely see anything more than artificial snow I was thinking a shorter deck would be more like a skateboard.

I’ve had the K2 Party Platter 152 in my cart but I am in no rush because a bunch of different sellers are offering 20% discount right now.

Anyone got any suggestions? Also, how do you guys feel about Magne Traction? Too catchy?

Any board brands you guys like? Thanks.

Magne traction is a godsend in icy conditions and in fluffy conditions you wont feel a difference. No reason to worry about it.

I like my niche deck and i liked my capita before that.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #366 on: March 10, 2021, 08:59:53 AM »
Anyone else ride the opposite stance they skate? Skate goofy and snowboard regular. Never surfed, wonder what stance I’d identify as.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #367 on: March 10, 2021, 02:40:39 PM »
Anybody catch roller surfer Ben snowboarding on IG? I don't know if it's possible to repost, but check his stories. He rips, of course.

Ben destroys, man. His style in either skate or snow is so damn good.

New Slush Video Mag is out....being a former employee of 411 I cant help but notice the format and stuff being so similar.
ok thanks

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #368 on: March 10, 2021, 09:53:18 PM »
yeah i gotta go up there. no excuses once i get my shot lol

I used to hit grouse after work when I lived there. Was working on west 4th at a snowboard shop so we had some shop passes for there along with Cyprus. Grouse is fun at night looking out over the city, plus we’d take a few beers up. There were times I’d get the bus, then ferry then bus to there which was a bit annoying but free riding made up for that

sbmfj

« Reply #369 on: March 11, 2021, 08:15:56 AM »
Van sounds like the place to be!!

I hit up Kicking horse this winter - Shit was fun!! You guys are soo lucky put west compared to the east coast. Awesome hills!

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #370 on: March 14, 2021, 04:46:19 PM »
Anyone else ride the opposite stance they skate? Skate goofy and snowboard regular. Never surfed, wonder what stance I’d identify as.

I do, and have the same stances as you. No idea why that is. I started snowboarding a couple years before I started skating. I don't remember if I ever tried switching stances when I learned to skate or not. Either way, my switch game on a snowboard is heaps better than on a skateboard.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #371 on: March 15, 2021, 06:14:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I do, and have the same stances as you. No idea why that is. I started snowboarding a couple years before I started skating. I don't remember if I ever tried switching stances when I learned to skate or not. Either way, my switch game on a snowboard is heaps better than on a skateboard.

That's the most insane thing ever. Makes no sense to me at all. A board is a board, why would you decide to stand the other way on a different board is beyond me :-D

There are surprisingly many people who do that and who are really good at both.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #372 on: March 15, 2021, 06:53:34 AM »
I had an ex that was like that. Learned how to snowboard one way before she knew her proper stance. Then learned how to skate a bit after and found out her real stance. She eventually switched her snowboard stance, but still got on and off the lift switch out of habit.

Lots of people get their stance misdiagnosed as beginner snowboarders. In Japan, where conformity reigns supreme, there was a time in the 90s when it was about 90% regular-foot riders, despite natural variation (I estimate it to be around 55-60% regular)

Someone (like a rental shop or a friend) will give someone shitty advice, like ‘you’re kicking leg goes in the back, so you can kick your board around’ and stuff, when it’s not really true.

Or they will borrow a board with the opposite stance set up and learn that way.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #373 on: March 15, 2021, 09:15:18 AM »
My wife and my daughter are taking their first ever lessons this weekend at Mammoth. Pretty psyched for that.

I took them out on my Ditch Witch, set up to be a cruiser right now, so they could learn which way they stand and get comfortable shifting their body weight and stuff. The stance stuff is weird. no idea why someone would skate one way and snowboard the other as their natural primary stance, but ok. I surf/skate/snowboard all regular foot. Granted I can snowboard switch way better than I can the other two.
ok thanks

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #374 on: March 15, 2021, 09:24:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's the most insane thing ever. Makes no sense to me at all. A board is a board, why would you decide to stand the other way on a different board is beyond me :-D

There are surprisingly many people who do that and who are really good at both.

Yeah it’s super weird. But I think it’s somewhat common. I’ve seen skate footage from snowboarders and some of them follow suit.

I really wanna try surfing and see what happens there. I need to settle this once and for all.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #375 on: March 16, 2021, 01:00:41 AM »
I had an ex that was like that. Learned how to snowboard one way before she knew her proper stance. Then learned how to skate a bit after and found out her real stance. She eventually switched her snowboard stance, but still got on and off the lift switch out of habit.

Lots of people get their stance misdiagnosed as beginner snowboarders. In Japan, where conformity reigns supreme, there was a time in the 90s when it was about 90% regular-foot riders, despite natural variation (I estimate it to be around 55-60% regular)

Someone (like a rental shop or a friend) will give someone shitty advice, like ‘you’re kicking leg goes in the back, so you can kick your board around’ and stuff, when it’s not really true.

Or they will borrow a board with the opposite stance set up and learn that way.

That's exactly what happened with my generation in Finland when we started skating in the late 80's. Most people my age here skate regular because that's just how you saw it done.

I might go out on limb here but I would guess that people who skate first will automatically end up riding the same stance, especially if you skate for a longer period of time before getting into snowboarding. I feel like stance is more of an important factor in skating, as it's way harder to get started. Just a thought.

sbmfj

« Reply #376 on: March 16, 2021, 06:26:16 AM »
Big Dave - Surfing switch - do you just switch the stance and ride the surf board regular, or can you actually surf switch, meaning the boards tail is going forward?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #377 on: March 16, 2021, 11:06:16 AM »
Big Dave - Surfing switch - do you just switch the stance and ride the surf board regular, or can you actually surf switch, meaning the boards tail is going forward?

Surfing switch for me is mostly a stupid accident in which I wipe almost immediately.
ok thanks

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #378 on: March 16, 2021, 04:57:13 PM »
I went snowboarding for the first time of the COVID season over the weekend. Two days at Big Bear. Besides the normal SoCal kook show of gawkers and flockers, conditions were good and I had a good time. Every time I go a year or more without snowboarding and come back to it, it's like falling in love all over again.

Now I just need to get new boots a half size up because the sample size boots I scored from a friend are smashing my feet...
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #379 on: March 16, 2021, 08:47:23 PM »
I went snowboarding for the first time of the COVID season over the weekend. Two days at Big Bear. Besides the normal SoCal kook show of gawkers and flockers, conditions were good and I had a good time. Every time I go a year or more without snowboarding and come back to it, it's like falling in love all over again.

Now I just need to get new boots a half size up because the sample size boots I scored from a friend are smashing my feet...

Nice man, but yeah...that is Bear...been at Summit mostly when I've ridden local this year, or valley. The majority of my days have been travel: Colorado, Tahoe, Mammoth...headed back there Thursday. One more trip in May for their spring stuff. Really fun but I am ready to focus on skating and surfing for the summer.
ok thanks

sbmfj

« Reply #380 on: March 17, 2021, 08:30:49 AM »
Id love to hit up some of the hills you mentioned Dave.

Mammoth seems pretty cool, and man does it dump there at times!! It boggles my mid that there can be such a nice hill with sooo much snow in California. Doesnt make sense - you guys really have it all!

Colorado and Utah one day.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #381 on: March 17, 2021, 11:40:46 AM »

Mammoth seems pretty cool, and man does it dump there at times!! It boggles my mid that there can be such a nice hill with sooo much snow in California. Doesnt make sense - you guys really have it all!

Where are you from?

CA is great. I mean, let's face it...surf/skate/snow in one day can be a regular occurrence...

We are, like everyone, getting smacked with climate change. I am not sure the resorts in SoCal (Bear, Summit, Valley, Baldy, Mtn High, Waterman) may not exist in 25-40 years...
ok thanks

sbmfj

« Reply #382 on: March 18, 2021, 07:40:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Where are you from?

CA is great. I mean, let's face it...surf/skate/snow in one day can be a regular occurrence...

We are, like everyone, getting smacked with climate change. I am not sure the resorts in SoCal (Bear, Summit, Valley, Baldy, Mtn High, Waterman) may not exist in 25-40 years...

East Coast Canada - Montreal Quebec

Hills get a we bit icey at times in the winter, but better than nothing, We still get a good few dumps a year, but the best bet for bigger hills and allot of snow is to fly west to British Columbia. Lottta good hills there and great snow as well. Just sucks that it a plane ride away - cant really drive, unless your up for a 20 hr drive.

Ill hit up the hill hopefuly for the last go of the season on Sat, and then might be able to squeeze in a skate on Sunday - warming up and some people have shoveled and swept up the spots.

Should be good!

Ill take a pic of the local hill next time I go - its a small one, but perfect for the kids.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #383 on: March 18, 2021, 04:56:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Where are you from?

[close]

East Coast Canada - Montreal Quebec

Hills get a we bit icey at times in the winter, but better than nothing, We still get a good few dumps a year, but the best bet for bigger hills and allot of snow is to fly west to British Columbia. Lottta good hills there and great snow as well. Just sucks that it a plane ride away - cant really drive, unless your up for a 20 hr drive.

Ill hit up the hill hopefuly for the last go of the season on Sat, and then might be able to squeeze in a skate on Sunday - warming up and some people have shoveled and swept up the spots.

Should be good!

Ill take a pic of the local hill next time I go - its a small one, but perfect for the kids.

Don’t you have Mt. Tremblant just outside the city? Always wanted to check it out since it gets a lot of good reviews. Also, Jay Peak is a hill that my buddy tells me a lot of Canadians ride at cause it’s close to the border. I’ve never been but I understand they get a huge amount of snow fall there for whatever reason.

I hear you though, I wouldn’t even think of riding w/o a helmet and I don’t where a helmet unless required skateboarding. My one buddy still does not wear one and we’re drinking beers and hitting jumps. He’s nuts. I’ve hit my head so hard on icy hard pack that w/o my helmet I would have been knocked out cold. Shits hard in the East...

sbmfj

« Reply #384 on: March 18, 2021, 05:14:44 PM »
Yea, hard pack is the word. I ride with a helmet as well, so used to it now, and its quite comfy and warm!

Tremblant is a solid 2 hour drive. Really expensive and overrated IMO. Id rather drive 3 hours toward Quebec city for other hills (Massif / Ste Anne)

Used to go to Jay a bunch when  I was younger - Was 'closer' than it is now. They do get some nice dumps, its a fun hill. Th border is a real pain though. Its quite unpredictable time wise, and can easily through off your days. Some of my friends also have a record (DUI and other crap) and that always makes things complicated so long story short kinda avoid Vermont for now. Once my kids get older, well hit that up - Smugglers  / Jay / Sugarbush and Id like to try Stowe, but damn that place is pricey!!

I ski at Owls Head from time to time, which is right across the border from Jay. I can see Jay from the top of Owls Head on a clear day.(Mansonville Quebec).

Where do you snowboard at Garden Skater77?

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #385 on: March 18, 2021, 06:28:57 PM »
Yea, hard pack is the word. I ride with a helmet as well, so used to it now, and its quite comfy and warm!

Tremblant is a solid 2 hour drive. Really expensive and overrated IMO. Id rather drive 3 hours toward Quebec city for other hills (Massif / Ste Anne)

Used to go to Jay a bunch when  I was younger - Was 'closer' than it is now. They do get some nice dumps, its a fun hill. Th border is a real pain though. Its quite unpredictable time wise, and can easily through off your days. Some of my friends also have a record (DUI and other crap) and that always makes things complicated so long story short kinda avoid Vermont for now. Once my kids get older, well hit that up - Smugglers  / Jay / Sugarbush and Id like to try Stowe, but damn that place is pricey!!

I ski at Owls Head from time to time, which is right across the border from Jay. I can see Jay from the top of Owls Head on a clear day.(Mansonville Quebec).

Where do you snowboard at Garden Skater77?

NJ/PA/NY

I used to visit friends in VT. Okemo was the mountain where my friends worked at.

My work friend has a season pass at Smuggs. He loves it there cause Stowe is like Tremblant in that it is more Apres ski than small my vibes.

My favorite mountain is Belleayre in the Catskills. It’s a honky tonk mountain. Bar in the middle of the trail. No real ski patrol presence. It’s as close to a diy mountain as I have seen. It’s a real local mountain but it’s part of White Face/Gore so they have seen a decent amount of improvements over the years.

I love snowboarding in the northeast when we get snow. When it’s icy it hurts so bad falling.

BTW—the clips of the snowboarding in downtown Montreal is so awesome. Montreal is a rad city it’s just freaking windy and cold and I’ve never seen concrete look worse than on the overpass heading in to your city. Still, poutine and smoked meat sounds really good right now.

P.S. Owls Head is sick looking

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:40:22 PM by GardenSkater77 »

sbmfj

« Reply #386 on: March 19, 2021, 10:02:05 AM »
I had an old freind that used to hit up Ochemo - talked about it all the time.
We had a hard time at the border going to Jay cause of this guy...hehehe He had quite the past. Good stories though!!

Id love to try some of the hills up there in the Catskills - IVe heard of a few, and think I saw a few signs drving up towrds NY/NJ on the 87 i think?
Whiteface (Iceface) seems neat - Id love to try that bobsled run too. I keeo telling myself well go once the kids get a little older and hack a full day of skiing (aint payin for no half day!!)

Have you tried that other Coop mtn in Vt - Mad River GLen? Apparently no snowboarders allowed - not sure if this has changed.

Yea the downtown foot of one of those snowboard pros was pretty cool - from a few years back right? Those overpasses are such an eye sore - Theyre trying to clean it all up, just takes time. Come don in the summer, allot warmer and the wind aint too bad!.

Owls Head is a good time. Awesome views of the lake (as pictured below) and Tuesday / Wed are the cheapy day - 30$ lift tickets. And hardly any wait at the lift.

Ill see if I can find some other pics.

If you ever wanna ride in QC, hit me up!!

sbmfj

« Reply #387 on: March 19, 2021, 05:33:03 PM »
Kicking Horse this winter.
Drop in boys!!

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #388 on: March 19, 2021, 06:45:41 PM »
Drop in boys!!

Holy shit. I checked out their trail map and it’s a black diamond fest. I don’t know if I would have the stones to go up in the bowls. I think I would but being up on the top of the world is scary. I went to the highest point in Rocky Mt. State Park in the summer and my face puffed up like a blow fish. And that was when I was 22 and fit. Props to you...

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #389 on: March 20, 2021, 01:01:28 AM »
Drop in boys!!

Bastard! Love the horse. Golden is one damn cool town also. Been a few years since I was there last but hoping to get back over once travel is back on