Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53449 times)

sbmfj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #390 on: March 20, 2021, 05:35:42 PM »
Heres a few more..

Some local girl showed us this spot after I asked her a question about getting to a trail. She brought me and this guy that I met slightly outta bounds so I was a little nervous, but it all worked out. Went through some tight glades and got to this opening. The locals rip, no joke!

This is the bottom of a bowl we just got into. We got in right below those rocks on the left (and beat the crowd way up top). Ski patrol just opened it up! You can see them on the left - the 2 little dots. And people are waiting to drop in way up top as well. That shit was fun!!

Views

Garden77 - check the above photo and look on the right - see that dark line? Thats the cat track / groomer all the way down. So you can hit a bit of a bowl and jump back on the groomer to take it easy for abit. The powder's quite enjoyable to ride though, and its kinda forgiving - the snow at these resorts is soo fluffy you just float. That groomer could take you a good 45 minutes to go down as well, never ends!!

Dad Brains - KH is awesome, and Goldens a cool little town. Id love to spend a season there but that aint gonna happen any time soon hehe. They have a neat little DIY skatepark too. Saw it on the 'Gram.

sbmfj

« Reply #391 on: March 20, 2021, 05:49:48 PM »
Fernie, BC - Jan 2020

Was there for 3 days and it dumped a good 30 on my second and third day. Tons of snow!!

Steep and Deep - The 1-2-3's. A skier showed me this one. Mike from Calgary - 55 yo. Ski like a mad man. Saw that I could kinda keep up with him and showed me a bunch of gems. Good times!

Big White - Kelowna BC area. Wife had to go there for a marketing gig and I got to tag along - she scored free lift tickets for me as well!
Dec 2019

Was quite overcast and flat light for most of the day, but then opened up for a few hours. And this is mid December!!

Big White is known for their snow ghosts.

This was awesome to shred through!

Ive had access to real cheap airline tickets for the past 2-3 years which has allowed me to hit up allot of these hills. But the days of cheap airfare have come to an end. >:( Im trying to rack up a bunch of credit card airline loyalty points to get me to the hills next winter!

sbmfj

« Reply #392 on: March 20, 2021, 06:02:42 PM »
and back to reality - Heres the local - Ski Chantecler

Small little hill, but when it snows its still kinda fun.

This is about 1/3 of the hill...

https://vimeo.com/526738366

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #393 on: March 20, 2021, 07:55:04 PM »
Fernie, BC - Jan 2020

Was there for 3 days and it dumped a good 30 on my second and third day. Tons of snow!!

Steep and Deep - The 1-2-3's. A skier showed me this one. Mike from Calgary - 55 yo. Ski like a mad man. Saw that I could kinda keep up with him and showed me a bunch of gems. Good times!

Ah fernie, my favourite place to have lived in Canada. Was there for a season back in 06/07 and it was epic. Having done seasons at the likes of whistler, Kirkwood, heavenly and Queenstown, the big mountains of fernie just kill it over anything else. Snake ridge open for hiking? Just some real good people in fernie in general. Keep trying to convince my partner we should move back there but New Zealand is doing all right these days so don’t see that happening anytime soon

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #394 on: March 21, 2021, 06:31:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Fernie, BC - Jan 2020

[close]

Ah fernie, my favourite place to have lived in Canada. Was there for a season back in 06/07 and it was epic. Having done seasons at the likes of whistler, Kirkwood, heavenly and Queenstown, the big mountains of fernie just kill it over anything else. Snake ridge open for hiking? Just some real good people in fernie in general. Keep trying to convince my partner we should move back there but New Zealand is doing all right these days so don’t see that happening anytime soon

When were you at Kirkwood? My good friend from HS is a local there and is on their amateur team. My other friend died in a prop plane crash in 2009 in the area while taking part in a joy ride with an experienced pilot from the area.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-vcSkRReckY

Any of this ring a bell?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #395 on: March 21, 2021, 06:35:59 AM »
Fermin is a great hill, especially pre-RCR. I grew up kinda near there. First place I learned how to stand up on a snowboard.

Part of the Canadian gems that include Red Mountain and Whitewater. 
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #396 on: March 21, 2021, 06:39:41 AM »
and back to reality - Heres the local - Ski Chantecler

Small little hill, but when it snows its still kinda fun.

This is about 1/3 of the hill...

https://vimeo.com/526738366

This is my first descent at an abandoned ski hill by my home. My son is running down the hill in back of me and my wife shot the video.

sbmfj

« Reply #397 on: March 21, 2021, 07:34:14 AM »
Looking good!! Kinda handy to have that close by.

Lucky you Dad brains. A season there must be Soo good. Was my second time there in 2020. First time was kinda of a bust. Went with the wife and there just wasn’t any fresh snow and it was hella Icy. Lucked out last year!! Snake ridge might have been open not sure but a local ( another girls on Mat leave) too me to the Fingers? Wow. That was the best run of my life. Steep. Properly spaced tress and 2 ft of pow. Soo much fun. I tend to travel alone so I chat people up On The chair And most will show you around.

I envy you Cucktard. WhAt a hill to learn at. Was the new side open when you skied there? ( white pass chair). The whole RCR thing actually saved my asss this year. I tend to fly to Calgary  and then book my hotel. I’ll wait for the most recent snow report. So this year was on the fence between KH and Fernie. Snow report seemed better at Fernie so I booked. Get there and it starts to rain. Hopefully snow up top. But it poured all night. Like a freaking hurricane. Had you told me we were in Nova Scotia I’d believe y’a. It was horrible. So anyhow since I booked via RCR managed to swap my ticket and hotel to KH where it snowed tons. Lucked out big time!!

Worst part about these trips is the weather. So unpredictable it can go both ways. I literally book my trips a day or 2 before going and try to time it with a storm. Usually go second week of January so the hotels tend Tks have room.

You still live out in that part of BC?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #398 on: March 21, 2021, 03:46:46 PM »
Looking good!! Kinda handy to have that close by.

I envy you Cucktard. WhAt a hill to learn at. Was the new side open when you skied there? ( white pass chair). The whole RCR thing actually saved my asss this year. I tend to fly to Calgary  and then book my hotel. I’ll wait for the most recent snow report. So this year was on the fence between KH and Fernie. Snow report seemed better at Fernie so I booked. Get there and it starts to rain. Hopefully snow up top. But it poured all night. Like a freaking hurricane. Had you told me we were in Nova Scotia I’d believe y’a. It was horrible. So anyhow since I booked via RCR managed to swap my ticket and hotel to KH where it snowed tons. Lucked out big time!!

Worst part about these trips is the weather. So unpredictable it can go both ways. I literally book my trips a day or 2 before going and try to time it with a storm. Usually go second week of January so the hotels tend Tks have room.

You still live out in that part of BC?

It was a great place to grow up and learn. Although my home hill was Kimberly.

Last time I rode there was 2015, and I can’t remember if I went on White Pass or not.

I worked for RCR though Kimberly, and I hated it. They totally destroyed the local atmosphere and tore down some historic ski hill buildings, all to create a faux-Whistler style base area that required an idiotic bottleneck to get through. Plus they banned all jumps. And paid instructors half of what they got in the 80’s, without adjusting for inflation.

Global Warming is fucking all of us, but Fernie in particular. All of the places have seen reduced seasons, Fernie used to open Labor Day weekend every year.

Now I get to experience Global Warming in Hakuba, Japan, we’re we’ve been getting May temps since the beginning of the month.

But we had a good December and January for the first time in 4 years. This is what it looked like.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CKkXs99lDdA/?igshid=oeop4jj7f7tk

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

sbmfj

« Reply #399 on: March 21, 2021, 05:54:41 PM »
Yea global warming is not helping any hills whatsoever. Same out in east in Quebec we’re quite a few hills have simply closed up shop. 15 Celsius today. Shits melting fast. 

I’d love to make it to Japan to ski not sure it will ever happen - who knows. Your videos awesome. Thanks for sharing. Those tree runs look like sooo much fun. Love that type of stuff. Snow looks really nice as well. Nice 360!!

I hear y’a on Ski hill expansions. Happened at a hill I frequent a bit. The hills are small out here and they actually shortened a chair by couple hundred feet to make room for ski in out condos. What can you do.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #400 on: March 21, 2021, 07:48:51 PM »
Was just in Mammoth area over the weekend, but really mostly rode June and powder on both Friday and Saturday. Friday was so uncrowded and perfect I was able to basically tire myself out from lapping J7 in just three hours.

Saturday was an insane shitshow (by June standards) with Spring Break starting and Elevation (LGBTQ pride) week going on. Mammoth was a true madhouse. I rode there for a bit Friday afternoon.

After yesterday's pow sesh at June we packed up and went home a day early.

My wife and daughter are learning to ride now. They did a private lesson at Mammoth on Saturday. It was a good jumping off point for them, but now I am going to ride local with them in the closing weeks on the bunny slopes, just work on my butters and switch in the slush while they build some muscle memory.

Mammoth again in May. Main lodge should still have some decent action going.

Honestly, I am ready for the season to end. I had some great adventures this year, but I want to focus on getting in better shape, losing 20lbs, and skating my mini ramp and getting some tricks down. Oh, and surfing.
ok thanks

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #401 on: March 21, 2021, 10:55:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fernie, BC - Jan 2020

[close]

[close]

When were you at Kirkwood? My good friend from HS is a local there and is on their amateur team. My other friend died in a prop plane crash in 2009 in the area while taking part in a joy ride with an experienced pilot from the area.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-vcSkRReckY

Any of this ring a bell?

First season at Kirkwood was 03/04 and was living in a gated community with 12 others in a 2 room house just near McDonald’s. Snowbanks on the side of the road were 3 feet high so you can imagine how good it was up in the hills. Went back for a season in 10/11 and it was the hottest winter they’ve had in Tahoe. Barely anything open and a long way to come from nz for a shit season. Recognise a fair few of those locations in that video though

sbmfj

« Reply #402 on: March 22, 2021, 06:52:43 AM »
Didnt it just dump a bunch in the Mammoth area - Think I saw it on the 'Gram.

Thats insane that you can still ski in the month of May in California. Im baffled!

Good on you getting the kids in a snowbaord lesson. I tried snowboarding with my oldest - he was 3-4 at the time. Bought the Burton Riglet (used) and it had that little leash - I tried to show him, then we got a few private lessons - Wasnt really sticking. So we threw him on skis and that worked!! Straight to skis for my youngest as well. They can graduate to a snowboard, if they are into, down the line. We can all 'ski together' as a family as of this year, so thats a huge accomplishment in my books. Ski classes is money well spent.

Went for a skate yeterday - biked to the spot and back. Im more sore from the 2 hour sesh and bike ride than 2 days of snowboarding...lol. Using a bunch of different muscles I guess.

We hit the local hill on Saturday - hopefully we can go again next week - well have to see how much snow will melt this week - really warming up.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 07:01:31 AM by sbmfj »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #403 on: April 06, 2021, 03:16:07 PM »
This is pretty heavy.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNUZV2rHIgn/?igshid=13cstrs6qkucc

I thought it was crazy how much he traveled down the pipe, but then I remembered that a super pipe is only 21 feet, and he’s boosting 24, so he has to hit it at a low angle to increase the amount of tranny he has for take off and landing.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #404 on: April 06, 2021, 04:31:33 PM »
This is pretty heavy.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNUZV2rHIgn/?igshid=13cstrs6qkucc

I thought it was crazy how much he traveled down the pipe, but then I remembered that a super pipe is only 21 feet, and he’s boosting 24, so he has to hit it at a low angle to increase the amount of tranny he has for take off and landing.

he lands so smooth

sbmfj

« Reply #405 on: April 08, 2021, 06:56:02 AM »
smooth indeed. Id love to try a pipe some day.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #406 on: April 08, 2021, 07:08:07 AM »
Rode Snow Summit for about three hours on Monday with one of my good friends, each of us on Slush Slashers. It was indeed slushy mostly, but some icy crusty stuff too, which took me out a couple of times. I fell more free riding and hitting side hits on Monday than I did my other 26 days combined.

It is so warm in SoCal already. I know it's April and everything but it seems like the season is closing out fast. At 27 days and with a goal of 30, its gonna be hard to do. This Saturday Im going to ride Summit again with my whole family, both BBMR spots close on Sunday, but Snow Valley is open the following weekend, so I am gonna head there for closing day. That will put me at 29. Next month I am going up to Mammoth for one last go (theyre gonna be open for riding until Memorial Day at minimum), so that will be good and probably put me at 32.

It's been a good season. I've gotten to travel a lot and ride a few resorts Ive never been to. That seems weird under COVID but most of it was in the car and I always took max safety precautions.

Looking forward to next season a bit, with another colorado trip already booked and Utah seeming likely, as well as checking out Lee's Canyon outside vegas. Right now though, I just want to surf and skate my ramp everyday.
ok thanks

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #407 on: April 18, 2021, 05:42:02 PM »
Yo. Bought a new used snowboard. Got it on EBay from a skateboarder. He may even post here. It’s a 2016 Marhar Lumberjack 155. Said to be in A+ condition. Looking forward to skateboarding the mountain next season.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #408 on: April 21, 2021, 07:02:13 AM »
Season is winding up here in Japan. They try to keep the highest mountains open until the beginning of May for a week-long holiday here.

We had a pretty unspectacular snowpack, zero snow through March, so things are getting thin, but had a good classic slushy park day with a friend.

Trying to get my middle-aged body to overcome my fear of down rails, had some fun trying fs 3 nosegrabs with a flat spin, and trying to nollie bs 3 over low ropes.

If I don’t make it up again, today was a good one to end on.

sbmfj

« Reply #409 on: April 27, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »
props to you Cucktard and the rails - terrified of those and stay far far away.

30+ days is something else there Big Dave.

Dont you get worried about pre booking so early - what happens if its a crappy snow year? Kinda sucks going to resort with sub optimal conditons.

Good luck!!

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #410 on: April 27, 2021, 12:40:37 PM »
props to you Cucktard and the rails - terrified of those and stay far far away.

30+ days is something else there Big Dave.

Dont you get worried about pre booking so early - what happens if its a crappy snow year? Kinda sucks going to resort with sub optimal conditons.

Good luck!!

Thanks dude. I am going back to Mammoth next month for three days, so yeah I expect to get to 30 after all (I am still stuck on 27- I got real lazy towards the end here).

I dont really worry about booking this far out. The resort will be open. Conditions might suck, but Copper Mountain, Steamboat, and A-Basin will be open in the middle of January in 2022, just like Mammoth will be open before Thanksgiving. Any riding is good riding at resorts of that caliber.
ok thanks

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #411 on: April 29, 2021, 09:30:43 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTWqcDHfx3I&t=326s

These guys get buck, Sami Luhtanen is awesome. Great spots.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #412 on: April 30, 2021, 03:20:56 AM »
Looks like today was the last day off the season for me. Had a decent run this year. Finally got some good powder (after 2 dry years), rode with friends, got in the park a bit, and won a snowskate comp and won a new Hovland deck.

But sad at how much my park skills have deteriorated! Haha. Only gets worse next year, I have to hold on to methods as long as I can!

Edit- here’s a small recap of the season here in Hakuba, Japan

https://www.instagram.com/tv/COUBZM8lHLa/?igshid=1u6jg6y6b2vgo
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 07:16:59 PM by cucktard »

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #413 on: May 01, 2021, 05:09:54 PM »
This is so unbelievably good and its making me miss snow season so much and rue the fact that I missed Holy Bowly....again.

https://youtu.be/j6YmUBgUxDg
ok thanks

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #414 on: May 01, 2021, 05:18:16 PM »
Looks like today was the last day off the season for me. Had a decent run this year. Finally got some good powder (after 2 dry years), rode with friends, got in the park a bit, and won a snowskate comp and won a new Hovland deck.

But sad at how much my park skills have deteriorated! Haha. Only gets worse next year, I have to hold on to methods as long as I can!

Edit- here’s a small recap of the season here in Hakuba, Japan

https://www.instagram.com/tv/COUBZM8lHLa/?igshid=1u6jg6y6b2vgo

Rad edit man, thanks for sharing it! Your skills are still pretty damn legit.

Looking forward to getting to Japan. It's the plan for when my son turns 18 in 6 years. Hope the snow is still good then...
ok thanks

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #415 on: May 01, 2021, 05:36:22 PM »
This is so unbelievably good and its making me miss snow season so much and rue the fact that I missed Holy Bowly....again.

https://youtu.be/j6YmUBgUxDg
The very first one was here in Hakuba, i believe. And then they moved it to North America where its taken off. That looks so fun. They kept up a modified version of it here for years, but the designer made it mellower and lamer ever year, until it was just a place for people with overpriced Gentems and step-in bindings to practice their joyless slashes.

And thanks for the kind words. I hope to relearn some of what I’ve lost.

I hope Japan still has snow when you visit, Hokkaido is usually the safest bet for that.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #416 on: May 17, 2021, 05:32:53 PM »
That video was great. @bigdave I was really enjoying it then I saw they skated one of my regular parks and then they surfed my winter spot... guess I do live in a good zone....

I didn't ride this year. I typically like to get a few days in year. I'm not a huge snowboarder, its more a way to pay my respects to the local hill that's only one hour away.

Alesran

• Rep: -2
« Reply #417 on: May 26, 2021, 12:10:40 PM »
As far as I can see, you are all doing quite well in this sport. Can anyone give me advice in this area? Not so long ago I started practicing, but I'm not sure if I am doing right and I'd like to know some tips and tricks. I even read and watched a few courses on https://bluehouseskis.com/. They describe everything very well and everything is very interesting, but I still want to know other opinions of those people who specialize in this field. Anyway, thanks in advance for giving me some advices. I'm really curious and it's important for me to find out new things.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 02:31:15 PM by Alesran »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #418 on: May 26, 2021, 03:25:23 PM »
As far as I can see, you are all doing quite well in this sport. Can anyone give me advice in this area? Not so long ago I started practicing, but I'm not sure if I am doing right and I'd like to know some tips and tricks.

The best thing is to take a lesson from an experienced instructor. That will save you time and money in the long run of figuring stuff out in your own, especially if you don’t have a lot of chances to get out to the mountains.

The next is just ride with people that are a bit better than you.

I can’t give you any specific tips without seeing video of you actually riding.

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #419 on: October 20, 2021, 07:57:22 PM »
I absolutely loathe winter, but I'm getting excited for snowboard season this year.  Already got my season pass.

I watched this the other night and would love recommendations for other snowboard videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej4A9rIFmS8&t=328s