Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53455 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #420 on: October 21, 2021, 12:27:15 AM »
I absolutely loathe winter, but I'm getting excited for snowboard season this year.  Already got my season pass.

I watched this the other night and would love recommendations for other snowboard videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej4A9rIFmS8&t=328s

That is a fucking classic.
The whole trilogy, with the other two prior movies, Lame and Afterbang are a good watch too.

There are the other classics, like the Mack Dawg movies and TB series, but outside of those I love this

https://vimeo.com/33034108

https://youtu.be/pOozBUlT8Vc

https://www.snowboarder.com/videos/energy-full-movie-drink-water-2/
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #421 on: October 29, 2021, 02:11:12 PM »
Snowskates are on the come up now

Fucking rad

https://youtu.be/71RZAk-WiFY

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #422 on: November 03, 2021, 08:05:45 PM »
Was not expecting the ender to be that heavy.
Good watch, especially the POV.
Stay safe guys

https://youtu.be/_2hyw79e3wk

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #423 on: November 04, 2021, 06:36:47 AM »
Stay safe guys

I was sweating

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #424 on: November 04, 2021, 08:50:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Stay safe guys

[close]

I was sweating
ender was absolutely insane. i was also really into the front 3 to back 3 immediately upon landing

Skibb

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #425 on: November 05, 2021, 07:22:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Stay safe guys

[close]

I was sweating
[close]
ender was absolutely insane. i was also really into the front 3 to back 3 immediately upon landing

Yeah, floaty as hell.

Austins whole thing is so much fun to watch, love that channel. Just noticed I'd missed an edit from Japan trip they did just before the pandemic, loved it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOIf6WG2s04

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #426 on: November 05, 2021, 11:06:51 AM »
Stay safe guys

shit was nuts good video

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #427 on: November 09, 2021, 07:27:34 AM »
That last line was insane. He got super lucky there at the end. If he hadn't somehow managed to stay upright it would have been curtains. Didn't look like there was anybody at the bottom to potentially dig him out either.

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #428 on: November 20, 2021, 03:58:09 AM »
Today was the first day of boarding for me this winter.
Snow's coming pretty late this year in Hokkaido so there was only just enough to scrape together for a PVC tube sesh but it was super fun.
Always a little bittersweet though to say goodbye to skating for 5ish months (no really good indoor options in my hood) and start snowboarding.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #429 on: November 20, 2021, 05:02:13 AM »
Snow's coming pretty late this year in Hokkaido so there was only just enough to scrape together for a PVC tube sesh but it was super fun.
Always a little bittersweet though to say goodbye to skating for 5ish months (no really good indoor options in my hood) and start snowboarding.

Where in Hokkaido are you at?

Doom patrol

« Reply #430 on: November 21, 2021, 12:18:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Niseko, and I am Australian but please don't hold it against me.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #431 on: November 21, 2021, 04:50:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Haha. That’s fine. Have a good season. I live a little outside Hakuba and work there in the winter.

Doom patrol

« Reply #432 on: November 21, 2021, 05:12:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha. That’s fine. Have a good season. I live a little outside Hakuba and work there in the winter.
You too dude.
Fingers crossed the boarders stay closed and we get one more winter with nonexistent lift lines and snow that's not tracked out days after a storm.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #433 on: November 21, 2021, 07:45:06 PM »
Kinda. But at the same time the locals and hills are hurting without that. I’m not sure the hills here can go two seasons in row with low numbers without seeing lots of stuff shut down.

Doom patrol

« Reply #434 on: November 21, 2021, 09:28:41 PM »
I feel bad for guys like my homie who runs a sandwich van, genuine small businesses run by locals, but most of the businesses up here have been making crazy money for a long time while never giving shit back to the local community and they can fucking suck it. Same with Niseko United and all the resort's individually. Shitty, price gouging sons of bitches and they can fucking take this shit on the chin.
Unfortunately it's the really big guys who can afford to weather the storm.
I get what you are saying but it's hard to root for the doors to be flung open to share the good stuff with some of the worst tourists on earth when I don't give much of a damn about most of the people who will profit from it. God knows a name tag nobody like me won't be any better off for it, just more lift lines and more aggravation at work, at the conbini etc etc..
So fingers crossed for good snow and healthy knees either way I guess.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #435 on: November 22, 2021, 02:18:59 AM »
Gotcha, I see where you’re coming from.

Hakuba’s wave came later than Niseko, it’s only been the past 7,8 seasons or so that things really picked up, plus we’ve been hammered with 3 shit seasons out of the last 6, so it’s been a mixed bag, and while there’s been douchery for sure, it doesn’t seem to be as bad as Niseko.

Lift tickets, food, and accom is still pretty affordable here. The old-school pre-foreign tourist businesses will still have their Japanese clientele, but we’re still not in a great place. One of the smaller hills will close for sure this season, with probably some other businesses doing the same.

It was nice to have powder laps in the after, I agree.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #436 on: November 22, 2021, 02:24:26 PM »
This Nitro flick had me frothing for some storms... none in sight at the moment for California, resorts are pushing back opening dates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czbBaGacn58

I'm hoping to get out and ride Japan next season

Skibb

« Reply #437 on: November 22, 2021, 11:46:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
You too dude.
Fingers crossed the boarders stay closed and we get one more winter with nonexistent lift lines and snow that's not tracked out days after a storm.

This comment makes me pissed, but I 100% understand it haha.

Lucky bastards living so close to the mekka. How did you end up there?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #438 on: November 23, 2021, 01:23:49 AM »
this guy still baffles me.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWjBgghNnWJ/

also happy to say I booked a week at La Plagne resort in January with the family! Hyped to get some snow boarding in finally after that lost covid year. Only down side is that I'm not gonna skate before that trip, too scared of any little injury happening before getting to the mountain.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #439 on: November 23, 2021, 02:09:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
You too dude.
[close]

Where are you from? I guess to an Auzzie, Japan could be kind of a Mecca. But to a Canadian, it definitely has it’s nice points, and some of the best tree riding, but in some ways it’s lacking. Like most places, I guess.

I ended up here because I’ve always been interested  in Japan since I was young, and studied the language in uni. I had a snowboard instructing license, and thought it would be a cheap way to get a season’s pass. Turns out I really enjoy instructing, and have been doing it for about 20 years now.

Japan is just where I happen to fit at this point in my life.

this guy still baffles me.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWjBgghNnWJ/

also happy to say I booked a week at La Plagne resort in January with the family! Hyped to get some snow boarding in finally after that lost covid year. Only down side is that I'm not gonna skate before that trip, too scared of any little injury happening before getting to the mountain.

I don’t get Longo either. I’ve talked to someone who’s ridden with him, and said Longo was the most light-footed rider they’ve ever seen

Doom patrol

« Reply #440 on: November 23, 2021, 04:05:35 AM »
I came to Niseko for to do a winter season and ride blower powder.
Met a nice girl working at the convenience store across the street, married her and bought a house. This is obviously a heavily condensed version of the story but that's the long and the short of it. I've been here almost 10 years now and to be honest I don't really like Japan all that much, I just like that I could buy a really affordable house 10 minutes drive from an great resort.

Longo is amazing, my missus loves him so his stuff is on a lot in our house. Right now I'm mostly bumping Cole Navin's living room and the new dustbox movie over and over and over again....

« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 05:14:48 AM by Doom patrol »

T4T

• Rep: 8
  • fake and lame
    • My Youtube avatar image
« Reply #441 on: November 24, 2021, 03:41:19 AM »
Met a nice girl working at the convenience store across the street, married her and bought a house. This is obviously a heavily condensed version of the story but that's the long and the short of it. I've been here almost 10 years now and to be honest I don't really like Japan all that much, I just like that I could buy a really affordable house 10 minutes drive from an great resort.

Longo is amazing, my missus loves him so his stuff is on a lot in our house. Right now I'm mostly bumping Cole Navin's living room and the new dustbox movie over and over and over again....

The line with all the banks in the new Dustbox has been on repeat in my head all day
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 03:53:46 AM by T4T »
schoolteachers can get paid $100k when they get a collab with dragonball

Skibb

« Reply #442 on: November 24, 2021, 07:03:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
You too dude.
[close]

[close]

Where are you from? I guess to an Auzzie, Japan could be kind of a Mecca. But to a Canadian, it definitely has it’s nice points, and some of the best tree riding, but in some ways it’s lacking. Like most places, I guess.

I ended up here because I’ve always been interested  in Japan since I was young, and studied the language in uni. I had a snowboard instructing license, and thought it would be a cheap way to get a season’s pass. Turns out I really enjoy instructing, and have been doing it for about 20 years now.

Japan is just where I happen to fit at this point in my life.

Cool! I was just curious, really. I'm in southern Sweden, so Japan is faaaaaar away - seems almost like a fictional place. And although Sweden is a northern country, I'm at least an 8 hour drive from some OK snow. Best bet is to aim for Norway...

You might not wanna hear this, but I have been scheming on a Japan-trip next season... Any tips on what to visit/try to avoid? I have no idea how the snow culture is over there...

Skibb

« Reply #443 on: November 24, 2021, 07:05:10 AM »

I went to La Plagne just as Covid was hitting – Italy was already being shut down and we barely got out of there. But was heaps of fun riding there, some really fun and uncrowded forests!

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #444 on: November 24, 2021, 08:50:08 AM »
RIP Grilo, not the news I wanted to hear today (or ever).

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #445 on: November 24, 2021, 03:50:20 PM »
damn super jealous of you japan living pals. I did niseko in 2017 february and it was a pretty shit year I'm pretty sure. We got some good days in my 12 days there, but we were supposed to hit tenjin and hakuba but they were gettting warmth and rain so we stayed up in Niseko for the whole trip

I need to go back !

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #446 on: November 25, 2021, 12:59:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I went to La Plagne just as Covid was hitting – Italy was already being shut down and we barely got out of there. But was heaps of fun riding there, some really fun and uncrowded forests!

yup fun resort for sure! actually I just found out it's in the top 3 of the world's biggest. I've been there only once and I did not even realize it's linked to Les Arcs! 

https://www.skimag.com/ski-resort-life/10-biggest-ski-resorts-on-earth/ 

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #447 on: November 25, 2021, 04:27:39 AM »
Fuck, the local resorts here in Hakuba are getting hammered, and the first opened up the top at noon today. I hadn’t even pulled shit out of the closet, just set up two boards today and will get out Saturday morning.

Hopefully good coverage and no rocks!
And that my pass is ready!

T4T

• Rep: 8
  • fake and lame
    • My Youtube avatar image
« Reply #448 on: November 25, 2021, 05:01:27 AM »
Finally got some snow in Scotland, wee bit to go until we can build our course on the local farmers hill but suuuuper stoked. Just got new bindings, boots, and loads of gear.

Cheers
schoolteachers can get paid $100k when they get a collab with dragonball

scrub74

• Rep: 22
« Reply #449 on: November 26, 2021, 04:55:49 PM »
Finally got some snow in Scotland, wee bit to go until we can build our course on the local farmers hill but suuuuper stoked. Just got new bindings, boots, and loads of gear.

Cheers
Ha!  I learned to ride at the Lecht and Glenshee.  I'm jealous here in the PNW we are having big rain issues and the resort openings are being pushed back - even at Mt. Baker.

Talking about Mt Baker, Austen Sweetin's ender in WindSlab is essentially within the ski area (you have to check in at ski patrol before you hike up and across the ridge to access it from the top of the lift) it slid with a whole bunch of people watching from the lift. Gnarly.