Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53875 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #450 on: November 27, 2021, 05:46:59 PM »
Got first day on snow yesterday, and we had knee deep pow at the top of the mountain.

Got loose and went for the front flip off the cat track, haha. Almost got it.

Could only ride till 2, classic first day Bambi legs. Rolling them in the foam roller today.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

jrb32

• Rep: -2
« Reply #451 on: November 28, 2021, 01:00:49 PM »
Amazing skating/snowboarding in this one. Phil rips

https://youtu.be/AxDrITlgnds

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #452 on: December 04, 2021, 12:10:05 AM »
Who else is trying to clean up their shit?

I’m 32 years in, and still working on my heelside turns. They are gross, I ride way too front-foot heavy and it makes the second half of my turn suck.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

scrub74

• Rep: 22
« Reply #453 on: December 05, 2021, 07:02:39 PM »
Just got back from 2 days at Whistler since there isn’t any snow here in the PNW. I’m tired and sore. It it was fun.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #454 on: December 07, 2021, 01:54:21 AM »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #455 on: December 07, 2021, 07:14:48 AM »
Yeah, that dude is fucking Jaws and Jimmy Wilks rolled into one

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #456 on: December 07, 2021, 09:00:21 AM »
for some reason he reminds me of Penny. The way he floats or something. Different eras and different boardsport of course, but I don't know, once the link was made in my mind....it stuck.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #457 on: December 07, 2021, 09:56:55 AM »
Back to this thread! I've got two days on snow so far - both at Mammoth in mid-November, a week after opening. They were both pretty rough. The snow was not great, the weather was not cooperating and the crowds were bad. Ikon resorts have not seen the same problems as Epic resorts this year but it was really rough, especially with so little of the mountain open. We got a lot of snow in October but November was wretched. There is a dusting today and more storms on the way, thankfully. Bear is open but not worth the time and effort right now to me, but I might go up Sunday since my wife and daughter are learning to ride.

Content wise, "How Dark Blue Feels" was absolutely awesome. Also the Quik commercial with Austen Sweetin and Miles Fallon was actually really rad. That Snowboarders Journal piece on the two women who work in commercial fishing was great. Dustbox vid was good. I haven't watched Uninvited 3 yet but heard its awesome.

Was sort of disappointed in Elles. I get the point. It's a relaxing look at Longo's year, not the gnarliest stuff, but going a season without an episode of SHE was already a real bummer, its pretty disjointed (I kinda wish they'd marketed it as a video journal or tour video or something so I'd tempered my expectations) and the music....the music was almost unbearable. Pains me to say all that because he's literally my favorite modern times rider, and his boots this year are incredible.

Anyway, upcoming riding will be limited through December. January 7th weekend I am gonna head over to Lee's Canyon outside of Vegas and check it out.
Summit County (riding Copper mostly) Jan 17th-21st
Seattle (Mt Baker) Friday 2/4-2/7
Tahoe Monday 2/14 and Tuesday 2/15
Mammoth 2/25-3/1
Mammoth 3/26-3/30

Boards I added to the quiver this year are a 160 StumpApe and I bought the 157 Tony Hawk Party Platter from K2, but it hasnt shipped yet. I swapped all my bindings over from Union to Bent Metal except for one pair of last year's Atlas which I ride with my BSOD.

If anyone is around any of those joints at the same time and wanna catch some side hits and all-mountain laps lets do it.
ok thanks

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #458 on: December 07, 2021, 10:57:51 AM »
Longo is amazing, and when they switched over to USA I was just waiting to get back to Europe. Mike rav playing guitar on a snowboard is so embarrassing.

If you're patient, stoned, and/or artsy Chroma is very cool. Sevi is really sick, but this movie is 97% weird snow photo composites.

https://vimeo.com/646438431?embedded=true&source=vimeo_logo&owner=374582

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #459 on: December 07, 2021, 04:11:35 PM »
Mike rav playing guitar on a snowboard is so embarrassing.

Dude, yes. that shit was kooky as hell.
ok thanks

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #460 on: December 07, 2021, 05:37:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I kinda find Rav in general kooky, like a poor man’s Scott Stevens.

for some reason he reminds me of Penny. The way he floats or something. Different eras and different boardsport of course, but I don't know, once the link was made in my mind....it stuck.

This kid reminds me of Penny the most
https://www.instagram.com/dustyhenricksen/reel/COwVt50n3wp/?utm_medium=copy_link

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #461 on: December 07, 2021, 11:23:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i loved rav during the keep the change era, thought he got kooky, and now that he's fully embraced the kookiness i sort of like him again for it.

also since it hasn't been posted i think this is my favorite video of the year so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk0zDsz8EMk&t=508s&ab_channel=TormentMag
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 10:09:04 AM by Hash Slinging Slasher »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #462 on: December 08, 2021, 01:52:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This kid reminds me of Penny the most
https://www.instagram.com/dustyhenricksen/reel/COwVt50n3wp/?utm_medium=copy_link

damn I can see why....kid looks practically asleep! did not know him at all.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #463 on: December 10, 2021, 03:15:08 AM »

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #464 on: December 14, 2021, 05:56:52 PM »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #465 on: December 15, 2021, 05:07:38 AM »
I’m an instructor, and my heelsides are so shit it’s embarrassing, so right out the gate my goal is to improve them.

Actually lots of improvement in the first couple days, carved multiple  heelside 360s (on flat) which I’ve never been able to do before.

Thank you to my friends for shaming me into getting better.

braksabbath

« Reply #466 on: December 20, 2021, 12:48:09 PM »
I’m an instructor, and my heelsides are so shit it’s embarrassing, so right out the gate my goal is to improve them.

Actually lots of improvement in the first couple days, carved multiple  heelside 360s (on flat) which I’ve never been able to do before.

Do you have any forward lean on your highbacks?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #467 on: December 20, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yeah, a lot.

It’s not that. I was given some advice long ago on my riding (about keeping the upper body fairly in line with the board) and I focused on it so much that now I’m having a hard time breaking out of that habit, and opening up on the heelside.

artskool

« Reply #468 on: December 21, 2021, 01:06:35 PM »
It may seem counterintuitive, but I started riding soft boots and zero forward lean years back, and can get way lower on my heel edge that way. Less power, but my whole body can shift around in a much more natural way and get my center of gravity lower.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Yeah, a lot.

It’s not that. I was given some advice long ago on my riding (about keeping the upper body fairly in line with the board) and I focused on it so much that now I’m having a hard time breaking out of that habit, and opening up on the heelside.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #469 on: December 22, 2021, 02:41:24 AM »
Inatural way and get my center of gravity lower.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Yeah, a lot.

[close]

t may seem counterintuitive, but I started riding soft boots and zero forward lean years back, and can get way lower on my heel edge that way. Less power, but my whole body can shift around in a much more

I’ve seen a bunch of guys do that, especially guys really into banked slalom. I think Josh Dirksen doesn’t even run a high back on his front binding.

I’ve ridden highbackless before, and it’s ok, but my boots break down really quickly. It was on a powder board, so didn’t rail many carves.

Can I ask what angles you run?

I’m duck at 18/-12, with high backs rotated to be parallel to the heel edge.
 I’ll give your advice a go, I’ve got some softer boots I’m going to get rid of.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #470 on: December 22, 2021, 03:07:10 AM »
anybody else not into the duck stance thing? Never could get used to it. Plus it makes me feel like my knees are gonna cave in.
I'm still running a Haakonsen stance like 21 / 9 or something.

artskool

« Reply #471 on: December 22, 2021, 07:55:14 AM »
I haven't run no highbacks since the 90's, and aren't really tempted to other than maybe some dreamy pow scenario. I run around 15 front, zero or neg 3 on the back. I'm kind of duck footed, so just having it near zero almost feels posi to me. My pro homie runs the full euro stance and completely rips, so really whatever works for you go for it. I used to run that kind of stance, but even a little forward lean on my highback just makes me feel unbalanced. I do rotate highbacks too, otherwise tweaking a grab gets too weird on the front foot at least.

Expand Quote
Inatural way and get my center of gravity lower.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Yeah, a lot.

[close]

t may seem counterintuitive, but I started riding soft boots and zero forward lean years back, and can get way lower on my heel edge that way. Less power, but my whole body can shift around in a much more

[close]

I’ve seen a bunch of guys do that, especially guys really into banked slalom. I think Josh Dirksen doesn’t even run a high back on his front binding.

I’ve ridden highbackless before, and it’s ok, but my boots break down really quickly. It was on a powder board, so didn’t rail many carves.

Can I ask what angles you run?

I’m duck at 18/-12, with high backs rotated to be parallel to the heel edge.
 I’ll give your advice a go, I’ve got some softer boots I’m going to get rid of.

braksabbath

« Reply #472 on: December 22, 2021, 08:16:59 AM »
anybody else not into the duck stance thing? Never could get used to it. Plus it makes me feel like my knees are gonna cave in.
I’m usually at 18/-3 but change it often. Snow madness gets me some days. I notice I go kinda duck when I skate.

The whole Jones team is mostly neutral to positive on the rear.
https://www.jonessnowboards.com/content/313-how-to-set-up-your-snowboard-stance-like-the-jones-team-and-ambassador

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #473 on: December 23, 2021, 01:13:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I’m usually at 18/-3 but change it often. Snow madness gets me some days. I notice I go kinda duck when I skate.

https://www.jonessnowboards.com/content/313-how-to-set-up-your-snowboard-stance-like-the-jones-team-and-ambassador

interesting link thanks! especially this about Jeremy Jones:

"He changes his stance by the feel of the day on every board he rides. By changing his stance he looks to accentuate the performance of that model/size board and avoid creating the same wear points in his joints."

I've had meniscus surgery 4 times, on both knees, so wear points that's a big topic for me. Gonna try to experiment more this season! I also like a narrower stance, it's also less pressure on the knees.....

braksabbath

« Reply #474 on: December 23, 2021, 01:44:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

"He changes his stance by the feel of the day on every board he rides. By changing his stance he looks to accentuate the performance of that model/size board and avoid creating the same wear points in his joints."

I've had meniscus surgery 4 times, on both knees, so wear points that's a big topic for me. Gonna try to experiment more this season! I also like a narrower stance, it's also less pressure on the knees.....
Ouch.  Changing things up seems like it could help. Also see if your bindings are canted (inside edge of boots tilted upwards), maybe you want everything closer to neutral

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #475 on: December 23, 2021, 06:25:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Ouch.  Changing things up seems like it could help. Also see if your bindings are canted (inside edge of boots tilted upwards), maybe you want everything closer to neutral

Canting is good, I think especially wider stances where you can’t normally ride with your knees over your feet.

Knee wear might be an issue for someone who spends as much time on a board as JJ, and with a big quiver (I slightly modify my stance to the boards as well) but I think if you are only getting out a few times a week for only a few months of the year, concentrating on a stance that works for your style of riding might be the best option.

I try to ride a fair bit of switch, so twin boards and duck is where I want to be. And it’s possible to carve hard like that a la Ryan Knapton, so I’m still experimenting.

I’ve noticed that I used to skate with both feet forward a lot, but now skating a bit more duck is helping me a lot.

If I want to get free and have full movement, I get on a powsurfer or bideck snowskate. The ones with a longer ski feel good to carve on.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #476 on: December 23, 2021, 08:48:21 AM »
Everyone is cancelling their hotel reservations it seems... I was able to find a room this weekend for rock-bottom.

PRAISE COVID-19.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #477 on: December 23, 2021, 09:42:13 AM »
Expand Quote

Wow, that was such a fun watch! Damn...

One of the best videos I’ve seen. Got me excited to ride. But then I remember my hills are expensive, short, icy and busy with maybe one or two side hits.

I think I was avoiding watching this because so hot him confused with Scotty Lago or whoever that guy that rode for flow was.

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #478 on: December 23, 2021, 10:47:19 AM »
Riding at Asessippi a tiny hill 4 hours from my place. Only 1 chair open :(  Haven’t ridden since Jan 1st 2020 and I’m having a great time
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 04:08:39 PM by WPG »
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #479 on: December 23, 2021, 03:16:53 PM »
Finally seems like no Cal got some snow....probably will cruz up on sunday