Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53445 times)

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #480 on: December 26, 2021, 06:22:15 PM »
sup y'all, i have a question: is there a market for early-2000s 'vintage' boards? and if so, whats the best way to tap into it? i recently found my old 2005-era Nitro MFM signature board and it's still in decent shape, curious what i should do with it. i don't live somewhere snowy anymore so i definitely don't need more than one setup.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #481 on: December 27, 2021, 04:42:27 AM »
Nothing after 2000 is really considered ‘vintage’.

I’m not sure there’s much you can do with it except use it as a rock board.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #482 on: December 27, 2021, 04:40:36 PM »
sup y'all, i have a question: is there a market for early-2000s 'vintage' boards? and if so, whats the best way to tap into it? i recently found my old 2005-era Nitro MFM signature board and it's still in decent shape, curious what i should do with it. i don't live somewhere snowy anymore so i definitely don't need more than one setup.

thriftboards.com

Sort of an idea on value. I know this dude mentioned that he rides a MFM World board daily so maybe DM him on insta (like a man)
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #483 on: December 28, 2021, 02:51:02 AM »
Anyone in Hakuba? Curious on how the snow storms over central Japan has treated the resorts. I wanna see some pics, make me real jealous please!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #484 on: December 28, 2021, 03:34:16 AM »
Anyone in Hakuba? Curious on how the snow storms over central Japan has treated the resorts. I wanna see some pics, make me real jealous please!

I live near Hakuba and was working there today. Cold and packed pow, a bit warmer tomorrow but a big, cold storm coming for New Years that should give us 50 cm or so. Hopefully that covers some of the bushes and upend up some of the trees. 

Check out Japan Grabs on Instagram, they usually have some good Hakuba footage

https://www.instagram.com/p/CX5nyuloSoy/?utm_medium=copy_link

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #485 on: December 28, 2021, 11:20:28 PM »
Gave this a watch through tonight.  Going to give their new video a watch tomorrow night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO5TbSNbMXc

Hoping to get out on the hill Thursday.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #486 on: January 03, 2022, 08:49:18 PM »
scott stevens capita x zero colab for next year
love scott stevens, and he gets stacks of zero decks from jt i guess. weird looking collab to me though.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #487 on: January 03, 2022, 10:03:10 PM »
That’s not just a collab, it’s a tribute to Hertzel and Salaznek.

What I want to know is

What trucks is he running?

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #488 on: January 04, 2022, 07:50:52 AM »
That’s not just a collab, it’s a tribute to Hertzel and Salaznek.

What I want to know is

What trucks is he running?

Those are most definitely hollow independents

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #489 on: January 04, 2022, 08:34:48 AM »
Don't they know about the forbidden 14? What is this poseur shit?

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #490 on: January 04, 2022, 09:56:00 AM »
Yikes on that Capita. I'm a fan of Scott, JT, Salas, but this is gross. Will look good on the wall at Zumiez I guess.

Skibb

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #491 on: January 04, 2022, 10:09:35 PM »
scott stevens capita x zero colab for next year
love scott stevens, and he gets stacks of zero decks from jt i guess. weird looking collab to me though.

Sheesh, someone really phoned that one in

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #492 on: January 07, 2022, 05:36:33 AM »
So I’ve been stuck teaching skiing for 90% of the time since the Dec 24th, and on my first day off tomorrow, my little 3-year old says “I want to go skiing!”. 

Fuck.

Tell me about your seasons so far.

Make me proud and jealous.

Skibb

« Reply #493 on: January 07, 2022, 11:43:51 AM »
So I’ve been stuck teaching skiing for 90% of the time since the Dec 24th, and on my first day off tomorrow, my little 3-year old says “I want to go skiing!”. 

Fuck.

Would if I could! Going riding tomorrow though, at a pretty small hill an hour and a half away. We're gonna be four guys cramped into a Panda 4x4.

Not really the stuff to make someone jealous haha, but I'm stoked!

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #494 on: January 07, 2022, 11:49:37 AM »

Fuck.

I got an AirBnB to go on my first out-of-area snow trip! Aaaand it’s gonna be 40 degrees and raining. La Nina be a cruel mistress

beatifk

« Reply #495 on: January 07, 2022, 02:16:01 PM »
Expand Quote

Fuck.

[close]

Would if I could! Going riding tomorrow though, at a pretty small hill an hour and a half away. We're gonna be four guys cramped into a Panda 4x4.

Not really the stuff to make someone jealous haha, but I'm stoked!

Panda 4x4! I’m jealous of that.

Heading up to the mountain tomorrow myself.

Hopefully it won’t be too icy.

It’s supposed to snow on Sunday but I’ll be leaving that day… it might be nice if the snow starts in the afternoon and I can get a bit of real winter weather before I leave.

beatifk

« Reply #496 on: January 08, 2022, 11:09:15 AM »

Mountain was a beaut today.

Can't wait to go back out tomorrow.

Hope everyone else is finding some snow.

potpie

« Reply #497 on: January 08, 2022, 01:07:04 PM »
Blown knee is still on the mend. Somebody lay down some smooth carves for me please 😢

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #498 on: January 10, 2022, 01:14:35 AM »
Noah Salasnek! now that's a name I hadn't heard in a long time...
I think there was a feature on him in that Powder and Rails series.

Anyways I just got back from a good week at La Plagne!   8)

I was mostly just cruising slow, taking care of with my 9 year old skiing and 13 year-old learning to snowboard, but also got some cool runs solo, and with a friend. We had 20 to 30 cm of fresh snow twice, so I was stoked. especially after all French resorts being closed last year! I even managed to fall straight to my face riding off-piste and scratched my nose against a bump/my goggles. Got a little too enthusiastic about the fresh snow I guess, and with the low visibility I did not see the dip/bump in the terrain.
the frustrating thing is that just when I was finding my snowboard legs again....we had to leave and now I'm back at work. I plan to go back for a 3 or 4 day weekend with friends, but that should be in march and  I'm already itching!   :P

the view was nice from Roche de Mio......(2700 m)

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #499 on: January 10, 2022, 03:05:59 AM »
I’m really glad to hear people are getting back out.

I had an afternoon off yesterday and hooked up with my favorite snowboard partner, and we were looking to fuck around the resort, maybe brush up in the early season park with a couple small hits and a few rails installed.

It was the middle day in a 3-day weekend, snd there was a 20-person line-up for the jumps. But the way things worked out, a non-park jump jump I’ve been looking at for years looked good to go.

It’s the left side of a half-dug permanent halfpipe. When there’s more snow, it gets built up into a proper vert wall, but as it is, it’s basically just long berm with a 3 or 4 meter platform on top, and a shadowy bank on the opposite side covered in chopped pow.

So after a couple carved into it and checking how much speed is needed to clear it, my friend and I just kept hucking 3s over the platform into chop and trying to ride out. It was soft, ate shit so many times, and was the funnest time I’ve had hitting a jump in years.

If it’s still hittable after the next dump, I want to try a bs 7, which I’ve never landed.

But the next storm starting tomorrow is looking to kind of fuck us hard. 2m of snow over 4 days. Should be gnarly. We sometimes have people die over here in Japan after dumps like these. They fall in headfirst, can’t dig out, and suffocate.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 06:05:45 AM by cucktard »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #500 on: January 12, 2022, 01:02:06 AM »
these two vids have nothing in common except snow, and the fact they both freaked me out.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPsd9Cwd1Yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdc0PRxZnx4

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #501 on: January 13, 2022, 06:05:52 AM »
I finally have a morning off, at the tail end of this storm that is dumping amounts of snow not seen since the days of yore.

I ride an almost centered Lib Double Dip, and it’s gotten me through deep stuff, but I don’t know if it will be enough board for tomorrow.

Assuming I can actually drive into Hakuba in the morning.

artskool

« Reply #502 on: January 13, 2022, 08:52:52 AM »
So jealous. You're crazy to be riding a Lib in Japan, there are so many cool brands there, especially for pow boards. With the caveat that sometimes they're super small, and have narrow waists. https://www.japangrabs.com/tj-brand-napoleon-fish-review/ this is the most fun powder/trees board I've ever ridden.

I finally have a morning off, at the tail end of this storm that is dumping amounts of snow not seen since the days of yore.

I ride an almost centered Lib Double Dip, and it’s gotten me through deep stuff, but I don’t know if it will be enough board for tomorrow.

Skibb

« Reply #503 on: January 13, 2022, 03:25:49 PM »

Fuck, that sounds like a total dream.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #504 on: January 13, 2022, 03:57:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fuck, that sounds like a total dream.

60 cm dumps like this used to fairly frequent when I first came to Hakuba 20 years ago. Now I can’t remember the last time we had one.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #505 on: January 14, 2022, 05:48:26 AM »

But the next storm starting tomorrow is looking to kind of fuck us hard. 2m of snow over 4 days. Should be gnarly. We sometimes have people die over here in Japan after dumps like these. They fall in headfirst, can’t dig out, and suffocate.

Kinda like a tree well.

I gott apractice my back 3's, front sides ok, but backsides not soo pretty.

Just got back from out west Canada (im east coast). Hit up Fernie for 3 days and spolied fmy self for my 45th and went cat sking for 2 or the 3 days. WHAT A TREAT!! Quality of qty and man was it nice!!. Epic conditions. Every run was a freshie. Maybe 7 runs in a day, little less than 3000 meters.

Hit up the resort on my last day and lucked out as it dumped around 25. Was a wee bit warm so the snow wasnt as fluffy, but good regardless. Caught the cord drop on the Currie Bowl and shredded fresh pow all the eway down. Was epic. Soo much fun.

Luggae got delayed on the way back and airline gave me a 250 cash back (cash) and 20% off next flight. Cant wait for next trip!!

That Japanpow insta spadge is awesome Cucktard, thanks for the link!!

1st two phots from Cat skiing, last 2 from the resort. The last one is the currie bowl cord drop and my first tracks. Sooo much fun.

Burton Custom x Camber 164w.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #506 on: January 14, 2022, 07:35:12 PM »
recently spent some time in the tahoe backcountry

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #507 on: January 15, 2022, 01:36:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Kinda like a tree well.

Just got back from out west Canada (im east coast). Hit up Fernie for 3 days and spolied fmy self for my 45th and went cat sking for 2 or the 3 days. WHAT A TREAT!! Quality of qty and man was it nice!!. Epic conditions. Every run was a freshie. Maybe 7 runs in a day, little less than 3000 meters.

Hit up the resort on my last day and lucked out as it dumped around 25. Was a wee bit warm so the snow wasnt as fluffy, but good regardless. Caught the cord drop on the Currie Bowl and shredded fresh pow all the eway down. Was epic. Soo much fun.

Luggae got delayed on the way back and airline gave me a 250 cash back (cash) and 20% off next flight. Cant wait for next trip!!

1st two phots from Cat skiing, last 2 from the resort. The last one is the currie bowl cord drop and my first tracks. Sooo much fun.

Where was the cat skiing? Island Lake Lodge? I grew up skiing Kimberly, but went to Fernie fairly often. It was there I converted to snowboarding in probably 87. I love that hill too. Glad you hit the timing right! It’s magic when that happens.

So jealous. You're crazy to be riding a Lib in Japan, there are so many cool brands there, especially for pow boards. With the caveat that sometimes they're super small, and have narrow waists. https://www.japangrabs.com/tj-brand-napoleon-fish-review/ this is the most fun powder/trees board I've ever ridden.

OK, this is a bit of a can of worms.
I’ve snowboarding in Japan on and off since 98, and I have some mixed feelings about Japan and the scene here.

There are some great things about it, and some things I can’t get with.

But before I go off topic, keeping the board situation, while I’ve ridden directional pow boards, I’m not a huge fan. I like riding switch and buttering too much. I can ride pretty much everything that a directional board can on the Lib, but have more options for tricks.

The only advantage I see is in say, chest-deep powder, but those days are too rare to justify a board just for that. I made it through this last storm on the Double Dip just fine.

Besides, a lot of that Gentem stick stuff is a bit gimmicky, charging ¥1000 for a China-made board. They partially are made like that because the mountains are so mellow in Hokkaido, that’s how they stay afloat.

Although I have to admit, I did like TJ shapes back in the day. It’s funny, the Japan Grab guys are my friends, and I don’t ever remember them reviewing a TJ. Good find!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 01:50:54 AM by cucktard »

artskool

« Reply #508 on: January 15, 2022, 02:51:40 PM »
I totally hear you on the critique of some of those Japanese brands. TJ is made in China as well, though their constructions and finishing are top notch. Almost all of those Japanese brands are made in China with varying results. Moss boards look beautiful from a distance, but their printing and finish quality is terrible. After riding twins in powder in the 90's, super pow specific boards were a revelation to ride, but they're definitely niche. I ride tapered directional boards in the park, etc. now but rarely something like the TJ that you can't ride backwards.

Why is the only place on the internet I want to talk about snowboarding on the Slap forum??

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Kinda like a tree well.

[close]

Where was the cat skiing? Island Lake Lodge? I grew up skiing Kimberly, but went to Fernie fairly often. It was there I converted to snowboarding in probably 87. I love that hill too. Glad you hit the timing right! It’s magic when that happens.

Expand Quote
[close]

OK, this is a bit of a can of worms.
I’ve snowboarding in Japan on and off since 98, and I have some mixed feelings about Japan and the scene here.

There are some great things about it, and some things I can’t get with.

But before I go off topic, keeping the board situation, while I’ve ridden directional pow boards, I’m not a huge fan. I like riding switch and buttering too much. I can ride pretty much everything that a directional board can on the Lib, but have more options for tricks.

The only advantage I see is in say, chest-deep powder, but those days are too rare to justify a board just for that. I made it through this last storm on the Double Dip just fine.

Besides, a lot of that Gentem stick stuff is a bit gimmicky, charging ¥1000 for a China-made board. They partially are made like that because the mountains are so mellow in Hokkaido, that’s how they stay afloat.

Although I have to admit, I did like TJ shapes back in the day. It’s funny, the Japan Grab guys are my friends, and I don’t ever remember them reviewing a TJ. Good find!

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #509 on: January 16, 2022, 04:10:13 AM »
@cucktard - Fernie Wilderness Adventures? Right of Morrisey Road, around 10 km outside of town. They have a deal with a logging company and the terrain was lots of fun.

Have any of you guys ever tried step in bindings? Met some guy on my trip and he raved about em....Thoughts?