Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53462 times)

artskool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #510 on: January 16, 2022, 07:27:33 AM »
I know a couple guys who rave about the new Burton step ins, but they're both toting enough extra weight around the mid-section that I suspect they are just too fat to comfortably buckle their bindings.

@cucktard - Fernie Wilderness Adventures? Right of Morrisey Road, around 10 km outside of town. They have a deal with a logging company and the terrain was lots of fun.

Have any of you guys ever tried step in bindings? Met some guy on my trip and he raved about em....Thoughts?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #511 on: January 16, 2022, 03:04:35 PM »
@cucktard - Fernie Wilderness Adventures? Right of Morrisey Road, around 10 km outside of town. They have a deal with a logging company and the terrain was lots of fun.

Have any of you guys ever tried step in bindings? Met some guy on my trip and he raved about em....Thoughts?

I don’t know that outfit. But really glad it worked out for you. I dream of the day I can go powsurfing by cat.

As for the Step Ons, sorry. I don’t know anyone that uses them.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #512 on: January 16, 2022, 05:33:11 PM »
I'm not trying to buy a pair, but I'm interested in the technology.  My local hill is tiny, so strapping in every run can get kind of old.  If I got a pair, I'd wait a few years till they go down in price and work out any kinks.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #513 on: January 16, 2022, 07:57:47 PM »
I have step ons. I have em on a custom flying v, so it's my perfect pairing when I go out with my daughter and GF on our family outings. They're decent enough for local resort riding where I'm not hucking myself or concerned about super dialed in edge to edge responsiveness. Being old, it's also nice to literally not have to hunch over that much anymore...

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #514 on: January 17, 2022, 07:55:46 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Not ready to pull the step in trigger yet....

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #515 on: January 17, 2022, 08:12:34 PM »
Hope there's another chapter in the Side Hits Euphoria series this year. Longo is one of the only dudes I like to watch. I love to snowboard, but it's just not skating, and I don't pay attention to the top pros very much at all. Longo has such a nice flow and rhythm to how he rides and makes me want to go out when I watch him. I like how the SHE vids aren't just filled with twisty mcpretzel 720 shit. A bunch of really smooth lines with some stylish airs and simple 180s and switch riding that still looks really impressive and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRruzeLwB-o&ab_channel=ArthurLongo

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #516 on: January 18, 2022, 01:25:48 AM »
recently spent some time in the tahoe backcountry

So sick. Did you hike up?

Edit: @sbmfj That cat-trip sounds so fucking good! Need to try that sometime.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 29
« Reply #517 on: January 18, 2022, 06:05:20 AM »
I am pretty sure I went on a Cat trip with that outfit winter 04/05 was a bad winter, but still a lot of fund even the the conditions are the worst snow I have ridden to date. Well run outfit and made the back country easy and very accessible.

sbmfj

« Reply #518 on: January 20, 2022, 10:12:59 AM »
I am pretty sure I went on a Cat trip with that outfit winter 04/05 was a bad winter, but still a lot of fund even the the conditions are the worst snow I have ridden to date. Well run outfit and made the back country easy and very accessible.

I lucked out conditions wise. First day was light n fluffy, then it warmed up a tad and aloot of wind too, really changed thigs for the 2nd day. Tons of fun regardless.

Do it @skibb, lotta fun!!

Skibb

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #519 on: January 20, 2022, 11:40:05 PM »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #520 on: January 20, 2022, 11:47:16 PM »
cat trips sound really fun, you guys made me interested....Unfortunately, it seems pretty rare in Europe. apparently it does not exist at all in France. But some small companies do it in Italy, I hope to try it at some point.
currently I'm trying to squeeze in 3 days of snowboarding next week.....and I need new boots! Was hoping to get in on the sales but it's too early in the season still, apparently.
also, I don't know if any of you guys watch the Angry snowboarder channel on Youtube, but he's pretty funny. And very set against step-ins!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #521 on: January 20, 2022, 11:50:41 PM »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl94WpO4nPI

Thank you! That was a great watch.

It’s been a heavy winter here so far. There not much comparable terrain inbounds where I am, but I had tiny tastes of stuff like that today.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #522 on: January 21, 2022, 08:46:28 AM »
I went cat boarding a few years ago outside of Park City UT. It was super luxurious to ride backcountry without having to split out, or snowmobile. I get so tired and cold getting out there sometimes I have no juice left for the actual snowboarding. I think we got some kind of deal, it was maybe $300 or so. Expensive, but then again a lift ticket at Snowbird is $200.

It can easily get weird if you can't fill the whole cat. We were a mix of pro snowboarders, friends, and some corporate types. Had to push the guides to actually take us to the good stuff.

*Edit- just saw that the current day rate for the PC place is $750. Definitely wouldn't spend that unless it was guaranteed to be all-time.

sbmfj

« Reply #523 on: January 21, 2022, 09:41:55 AM »
cat trips sound really fun, you guys made me interested....Unfortunately, it seems pretty rare in Europe. apparently it does not exist at all in France. But some small companies do it in Italy, I hope to try it at some point.
currently I'm trying to squeeze in 3 days of snowboarding next week.....and I need new boots! Was hoping to get in on the sales but it's too early in the season still, apparently.
also, I don't know if any of you guys watch the Angry snowboarder channel on Youtube, but he's pretty funny. And very set against step-ins!

Give it a go if ya can. Ive alredy started saving for my next trip!!
Have you ever been to Laax? Just heard about the place a few weeks ago and it seems soo cool, too bad Europe is sooo far away. one day hopefully.

Im kinda proud of myself, third annual solo trip this year. Was really reluctant to go alone, but litterlally have no one to go with....Lucked out wiht most trips in the sense that Ill meet someone on the chair and kinda ski with them all day. Those BC locals are pretty nice and will show ya some nice runs from time to time. When I do ride solo, I try to stay visible and higher traffic areas - in case somethign were to happen...Cat skiing was kinda nice in that aspect, youll ride with the group, and they partner you up with a buddy for your runs down. Got partnered up with a early 50's Aussie - Petra. Man could she ski!! And We actully met up on the last day at the resort for a feew runs together. Really nice to meet new people. She seemed fairly well off as well, she was telling me about her 4 bedroom house being built in Japan by the ski hills - must be nice... :)

Now for this summer, most likely a solo skate trip. Pier 7 or maybe Pulaski. Who knows. 45 this year, not getting any younger, now or never type of mentality.

Was gonna take the day off and hit the local with the wife today, but feels like -28 celcius with the wind, so wifey backed out. Ill be going tomorrow regardless, ski lessons for the kids.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #524 on: January 21, 2022, 01:20:46 PM »
I'm headed to park city tomorrow for a few days. gonna try to get 2 or 3 days in at Canyons and Park city mt while i'm there. can't wait.

there's some live streams of park city mountain and it looks a little dry on some runs but should still be good overall

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #525 on: January 21, 2022, 03:23:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you ever been to Laax? Just heard about the place a few weeks ago and it seems soo cool, too bad Europe is sooo far away. one day hopefully.

Im kinda proud of myself, third annual solo trip this year. Was really reluctant to go alone, but litterlally have no one to go with....Lucked out wiht most trips in the sense that Ill meet someone on the chair and kinda ski with them all day. Those BC locals are pretty nice and will show ya some nice runs from time to time. When I do ride solo, I try to stay visible and higher traffic areas - in case somethign were to happen...Cat skiing was kinda nice in that aspect, youll ride with the group, and they partner you up with a buddy for your runs down. Got partnered up with a early 50's Aussie - Petra. Man could she ski!! And We actully met up on the last day at the resort for a feew runs together. Really nice to meet new people. She seemed fairly well off as well, she was telling me about her 4 bedroom house being built in Japan by the ski hills - must be nice... :)

Now for this summer, most likely a solo skate trip. Pier 7 or maybe Pulaski. Who knows. 45 this year, not getting any younger, now or never type of mentality.

Was gonna take the day off and hit the local with the wife today, but feels like -28 celcius with the wind, so wifey backed out. Ill be going tomorrow regardless, ski lessons for the kids.

Solo trips are sick. Where I go I can usually find a single room for less than €100 (the last 2 times I went I paid less than €60!) and you don’t need to wait for anyone at the bottom and there’s no deciding which run to take next. Just go go go all day. Cheap dinner, go to bed early and ride all day. Love it.

Skibb

« Reply #526 on: January 22, 2022, 07:42:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Solo trips are sick. Where I go I can usually find a single room for less than €100 (the last 2 times I went I paid less than €60!) and you don’t need to wait for anyone at the bottom and there’s no deciding which run to take next. Just go go go all day. Cheap dinner, go to bed early and ride all day. Love it.

Y'all are really selling me on this whole riding-solo biz  , sounds therapeutic

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #527 on: January 24, 2022, 12:03:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nope, never been to Laax! Actually never ridden in Switzerland, it's way too expensive. I sometimes land in Geneva but immediately hightail it to the French border ha.... Basically the moutains are the same (some resorts you can even cross the border skiing) but Switzerland is the most expensive country I've ever been to in Europe. Apart from Iceland maybe. To give you an idea, minimum wage in Geneva is 3800 euros. In France? 1500 euros. The difference is crazy. Even eating at McDonalds or something is like 3 times the price in Switzerland. I don't understand how their economy works, those banks must really be pulling a lot of shady money....

anyways I guess solo trips can be fun, but my next trip should be with an old skate buddy I don't see often now, cause we live in different cities. And I just love snowboarding with him, it's exactly the same feeling as having a skate sesh!

Skatebeard

« Reply #528 on: January 24, 2022, 12:35:35 AM »
I've done about 5 or 6 trips to LAAX. It's my favourite euro resort by a long way, and an absolute must if you are into park riding. I've spent entire weeks just riding and lapping the parks. There's a 1km ish run which has features from top to bottom; and 3 or 4 other parks.

Its fairly expensive on the mountain even by European resort standards, but well worth it.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: January 24, 2022, 05:38:12 AM »
I’ve been working at the ski area and my job for almost a month straight. I’ve has 2 down days  where I didn’t work either job and I’m getting a bit worn down.

I wanted to get in the park a bit and relearn stuff earlier this season, as the past 5 or 6 years I don’t do much there until the sunny spring days roll around, and by then I’m trying to remember how to balance on a rail and not huck my shitty 3s.

But I was feeling blah this morning. But I stretched and made myself go anyways. The hills here are quiet, a big COVID spike in Hakuba over the holidays has been keeping people away.

So the park was firm, flat light, and generally unwelcoming to middle-aged men. But made a go of it anyways with my friend, and ended up having a great time and getting a back 5 on a small kicker.

My dad always used to say that it didn’t matter how much he used to sometimes wanted to stay in and not make the trek to the hill (especially with kids in tow), he never regretted a day of skiing.

He was right.

Skatebeard

« Reply #530 on: January 24, 2022, 06:17:41 AM »
I’ve been working at the ski area and my job for almost a month straight. I’ve has 2 down days  where I didn’t work either job and I’m getting a bit worn down.

I wanted to get in the park a bit and relearn stuff earlier this season, as the past 5 or 6 years I don’t do much there until the sunny spring days roll around, and by then I’m trying to remember how to balance on a rail and not huck my shitty 3s.

But I was feeling blah this morning. But I stretched and made myself go anyways. The hills here are quiet, a big COVID spike in Hakuba over the holidays has been keeping people away.

So the park was firm, flat light, and generally unwelcoming to middle-aged men. But made a go of it anyways with my friend, and ended up having a great time and getting a back 5 on a small kicker.

My dad always used to say that it didn’t matter how much he used to sometimes wanted to stay in and not make the trek to the hill (especially with kids in tow), he never regretted a day of skiing.

He was right.

My worst days on the mountain were always better than not being up there at all. I try to take a similar mindset into skating.

sbmfj

« Reply #531 on: January 24, 2022, 07:50:19 AM »
But made a go of it anyways with my friend, and ended up having a great time and getting a back 5 on a small kicker.

He was right.

Hell yea on the back 5

And shitty day of skiing WAY better than an awesome day at the office!! #wordstoliveby

Skibb

« Reply #532 on: January 27, 2022, 01:16:05 AM »
Was supposed to go to Norway for a week today, but ended up testing positive for covid yesterday. Gutted be stuck home instead. Granted, the conditions didn't look like they're gonna be dreamy, but still: gutted.

sbmfj

« Reply #533 on: January 27, 2022, 07:58:58 AM »
Was supposed to go to Norway for a week today, but ended up testing positive for covid yesterday. Gutted be stuck home instead. Granted, the conditions didn't look like they're gonna be dreamy, but still: gutted.

That sucks balls. Get well soon!

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #534 on: January 27, 2022, 07:59:13 AM »

That’s a fucking bummer. Sorry to hear it.

Do you have symptoms or did you only do your test for travel requirements?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
hardly art, hardly starving

Skibb

« Reply #536 on: January 28, 2022, 03:05:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks guys. Yeah I did the test for travel requirements (and to be cool to the rest of people in the car up). I had cold-like symptoms, like runny nose and the occaisonal sneeze. But no fever or anything serious – nothing I'd even pay attention to had it not been a pandemic, haha.

Looks like I'll be able to get the money back for the lift ticket and stuff though, so that's something at least.  :)

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #537 on: February 01, 2022, 03:53:07 PM »
You should always go up the hill, always.
If the lifts are running I go up the hill every day no matter what. Doesn't matter how bad the weather is or how off it I am, I go up.
If it's so disgusting up there that it's truly not enjoyable I just go home but its surprising how rarely that happens, I almost always end up having fun and staying for at least a few laps.
I live 10 minutes drive from the mountain and feel lucky to spend my winter this way.
Super envious of park laps at Laxx, Hokkaido is bad for parks in general and the Niseko area is particularly shit.
I really regret not doing a season in Europe when I was young, I'm about to turn 40 and that ship has sailed. Spent 15 years snowboarding in Canada, Japan, Australia and New Zealand and every place was so amazing in it's own way. Bummed I never checked out what those euro mountains have going on for myself, they look sick....

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #538 on: February 02, 2022, 01:23:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks guys. Yeah I did the test for travel requirements (and to be cool to the rest of people in the car up). I had cold-like symptoms, like runny nose and the occaisonal sneeze. But no fever or anything serious – nothing I'd even pay attention to had it not been a pandemic, haha.

Looks like I'll be able to get the money back for the lift ticket and stuff though, so that's something at least.  :)

Damn. Commiserations to you. That's exactly what I was afraid of friday, when I did an autotest before leaving for a weekend snowboard trip with old skate buddies. Thankfully I was luckier than you and trip was awesome. Conditions were pretty bad on the last day (snow + wind), but as everyone said, it's always worth it going up. at one point the weather cleared up a bit and we even found some untracked snow out of bounds, it was pretty cool.

Doom Patrol: as I've said before...the Alps are awesome! Super jealous you live 10 minutes from a resort though. for me it's a 9 hour drive to get the Alps! sometimes I go to the Vosges, it's closer (5 hours), but the mountains/resorts are tiny compared to the Alps. This weekend we were at the Portes du Soleil ski area, which is made up of around 6 French and Swiss resorts, it's huge. 165 lifts total! I wanted to go the Burton "Stash" area at Avoriaz, but this time we stayed around Chatel. I really wanna go back there though, it's real fun. hopefully march!
the stash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZqkX-57wns

Frank and Fred

« Reply #539 on: February 02, 2022, 01:52:17 PM »
I spent a week in Chamonix in the late 90s, scoring powder like a fiend. No snowboarding experience has ever topped that. I live about one hour from Mt Hood but its so busy and expensive these days, I almost alway opt to go West to surf instead.