Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53418 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #570 on: March 04, 2022, 09:47:46 PM »
Looks like the big storm cycles have passed here in Hakuba, leaving a fuckton to snow for the park builders to play with.

The Hakuba 47 park crew built the best halfpipe here in years, and with halfpipe building and riding in decline, it’s so nice to have a slightly soft 14-foot pipe to relearn how to air in.

I’ll never get to go it on a skateboard, so it’s nice to kind of approximate an experience of what I watched pros do in the 80’s.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #571 on: March 05, 2022, 07:40:13 AM »
I question if I could physically ride one but for sure…the few times I rode a pipe it was sick…just a bunch of back to back airs is so much fun. 

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #572 on: March 05, 2022, 09:37:46 AM »
Expand Quote
recently spent some time in the tahoe backcountry

[close]

So sick. Did you hike up?

only a couple hundred feet. there are some lifts that give access to the backcountry gates.

recently did a drive from sf to whistler. unfortunately the storm fizzled out that was predicted while i was in canada, but it was cold enough to keep the snow that had fallen the previous week nice and light. stayed riding blackcomb everyday since that's what the sun was hitting later on in the afternoon. those runs are so rad and fast.

did take a day and head north to pemberton. some locals had dug out the park.

did manage to luck out on the drive back down and catch a session at steven's pass. i hadn't ridden at night since my first time snowboarding back in the 90s. it was also the my time riding at night during a storm. that place keeps lifts spinning till 10pm, such a good vibe.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #573 on: March 15, 2022, 11:21:01 PM »
Went from full-on winter to mid-May conditions within a week. Sunny, +10°C and the park turned to slush.

Grabbed the snowskate and went to town. My wife tried it out again for the first time in years and had a blast, wanna give a shout-out to bidecks!

Especially Landyachtz and Hovland

Went up for a half day and could get to the lip in the 12-foot slush taco. So much fun!

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #574 on: March 16, 2022, 03:47:27 AM »
Headed up this weekend... this season has been quite dry near me. I don't care if there's snow or not, I'm going to have fun regardless. But is supposed to snow a whole 2cm! WOW!

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #575 on: March 22, 2022, 09:41:14 AM »
Just did week one of the Blaise Rosenthal Boot Camp at Bear Valley. What a fucking experience. Wow.

Headed to Tahoe on Saturday. Gonna go check out the Brainbowl session the Gnu guys are scouting and digging this week, then ride Diamond Peak, Alpine, Diamond Peak again, then go down to June and then to Mammoth. Wife and son's birthdays, and last hurrah of this pathetic-snow-yet-fun season.
ok thanks

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #576 on: March 24, 2022, 05:25:48 PM »
Woaaahhhhh!! Javi Mendizabal is definitely one of my favorite skaters of all time, and he did the art for the new BRD board for Lib! I was already planning on getting a 167W now I am super excited for it.

https://www.advance-j.com/downloads/22-23/LIB.pdf
ok thanks

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #577 on: March 24, 2022, 09:18:26 PM »
I went up to the mountains on back to back weekends, first time I saw an anti hero sticker on a board (big eagle logo) and the next I saw a big Quasi sticker on one. Does that seem wrong to y’all or is it just me? Mostly the anti hero, but idk I just don’t like the idea of that.

I have an AH AND a quasi sticker on mine, so there ya go. 

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #578 on: March 25, 2022, 08:03:02 AM »
Leaving for the french Alpes next week – first Val d'Isere then Chamonix. Anyone been? Would love some tips on spots and/or pubs. 😁

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #579 on: March 25, 2022, 08:42:56 AM »
I've never snowboarded before. Is there anything wrong with renting the boards they have at the mountain? Seems like buying boards is super expensive.

Any other tips for a newbie?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #580 on: March 25, 2022, 08:54:56 AM »
I've never snowboarded before. Is there anything wrong with renting the boards they have at the mountain? Seems like buying boards is super expensive.

As long as you have all the other gear like jacket/pants/gloves/etc then renting a board is pretty normal and not too expensive usually. But if you plan to go many times, you can usually get a used board for pretty cheap if you're not too picky, which, as a newbie, you shouldn't be.

The #1 tip is to take a lesson. And take them until you feel like you're having fun. Trying to learn on your own to snowboard is a sure way to never want to do it again.

Take it easy and get some good waterproof pants, you'll be on your ass a lot at the beginning.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #581 on: March 25, 2022, 10:17:38 AM »
Leaving for the french Alpes next week – first Val d'Isere then Chamonix. Anyone been? Would love some tips on spots and/or pubs. 😁

never been to Val d'Isere but my advice for Chamonix would be to ride at Les Houches. Chamonix has several separate resorts linked by bus and Les Houches was my fave by far. The others were all real steep and not too adapted for snowboarding. Except if the conditions are good and you can ride powder off-piste!
Going up to l'Aiguille du Midi is a must too. 3800 m altitude! One of the highest ski lifts in the French alps I think...enjoy!

FuzzGNU

« Reply #582 on: March 25, 2022, 11:54:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As long as you have all the other gear like jacket/pants/gloves/etc then renting a board is pretty normal and not too expensive usually. But if you plan to go many times, you can usually get a used board for pretty cheap if you're not too picky, which, as a newbie, you shouldn't be.

The #1 tip is to take a lesson. And take them until you feel like you're having fun. Trying to learn on your own to snowboard is a sure way to never want to do it again.

Take it easy and get some good waterproof pants, you'll be on your ass a lot at the beginning.

I've snowboarded down some hills on toy snowboards, and on snowskates... would that give me some baseline experience or would you still suggest a lesson?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #583 on: March 25, 2022, 01:45:01 PM »

Take. A. Lesson.
ok thanks

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #584 on: March 25, 2022, 02:22:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've snowboarded down some hills on toy snowboards, and on snowskates... would that give me some baseline experience or would you still suggest a lesson?

Instructor chiming in.

If it was a bideck snowskate, and you were turning, you could get away without a lesson, kinda.

But to turn on a snowskate you gotta have a really forward-facing stance, which isn’t great if you want to learn tricks or jumps.

A lesson will show you some fundamentals right away that could take you many trips, if not seasons you learn on your own. So there’s that.

But rental gear is fine at first.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #585 on: March 25, 2022, 02:22:44 PM »

Way cheaper to rent off the mountain. Get boots that fit, too tight will ruin your day. Take a lesson or watch a lot of youtube.

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #586 on: March 26, 2022, 01:08:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

never been to Val d'Isere but my advice for Chamonix would be to ride at Les Houches. Chamonix has several separate resorts linked by bus and Les Houches was my fave by far. The others were all real steep and not too adapted for snowboarding. Except if the conditions are good and you can ride powder off-piste!
Going up to l'Aiguille du Midi is a must too. 3800 m altitude! One of the highest ski lifts in the French alps I think...enjoy!
Duuude, just to make it clear: Cham. can be quite extreme. Don't go down the Midi on your own! It's not a ski lift. It spits you out in a high alpine death zone. Shit's serious up there. Get a guide.
Anyway, don't go off piste without the common safety gear and know how to use it. Don't ride alone. And don't just follow tracks. You likely get in a situation where ropes, crampons, iceaxes, etc. are needed, that's a normal thing in Cham. Or you might follow a paraglide-skier down a cliff...

ok, this came out quite presumptuous. Sorry. Just hope you know what you are doing and stay save.
(snowconditions are not too good right now, though)

There is a concrete park right behind the "sports area" that looked decent btw.
And lots of nice bars and restaurants all over town; Elevation1904, right at the train station, for example.
You sure will have a good time!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #587 on: March 28, 2022, 01:36:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Duuude, just to make it clear: Cham. can be quite extreme. Don't go down the Midi on your own! It's not a ski lift. It spits you out in a high alpine death zone. Shit's serious up there. Get a guide.
Anyway, don't go off piste without the common safety gear and know how to use it. Don't ride alone. And don't just follow tracks. You likely get in a situation where ropes, crampons, iceaxes, etc. are needed, that's a normal thing in Cham. Or you might follow a paraglide-skier down a cliff...

ok, this came out quite presumptuous. Sorry. Just hope you know what you are doing and stay save.
(snowconditions are not too good right now, though)

There is a concrete park right behind the "sports area" that looked decent btw.
And lots of nice bars and restaurants all over town; Elevation1904, right at the train station, for example.
You sure will have a good time!

oh damn you are totally right! I thought there were regular pistes to go down from l'Aiguille du Midi, but the only possibility is doing la Vallée blanche! which takes you through a glacier and I would not do whithout a guide, no way.... now that I remember I realize we got off at Plan de l'Aiguille and did not go all the way up! Good thing you corrected me man   :-X ;)

Totally agree about this too:
ropes, crampons, iceaxes, etc. are needed, that's a normal thing in Cham.

It's kind of the freeriding capital of Europe. I tripped out watching the crowds cause it seems like everybordy has the best/most recent gear and average level on the pistes is probably the best I've ever seen in any resort. Very very few beginners in Cham.... and again I much prefer resorts that are more freestyle oriented, like Avoriaz.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:43:32 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #588 on: March 28, 2022, 01:41:26 AM »
....had a blast riding with homies and filming a bit with my new GoPro in Avoriaz and Chatel last weekend btw!

conditions were indeed not too good. Too warm. the season will probably end early and now it's back to skating mode for springtime  8) 8)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbiSfTigPKd/

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #589 on: March 28, 2022, 04:10:40 AM »
....had a blast riding with homies and filming a bit with my new GoPro in Avoriaz and Chatel last weekend btw!

conditions were indeed not too good. Too warm. the season will probably end early and now it's back to skating mode for springtime  8) 8)

Those are perfect conditions for goofing around the mountain and the park!
The ruts on those jumps are kinda gnarly tho.

Great filming on the vid!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbiSfTigPKd/

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #590 on: March 28, 2022, 08:41:13 AM »
Those are perfect conditions for goofing around the mountain and the park!
The ruts on those jumps are kinda gnarly tho.

Great filming on the vid!

thanks! I'm still learning to film this snowboard stuff, but it's fun....also I agree, I love slush to mess around in, but this time it was so slushy, in some places the snow would stick so much and slow you down! you never really knew how much speed to take and that made it kinda tricky to clear the jumps!  btw ruts = knuckle I presume ??

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #591 on: March 28, 2022, 05:44:16 PM »
I find it’s easier to catch an edge with ruts. Also makes it way harder to spin.

And if there are ruts in the take-off, chances are that the landing looks like an asteroid impact zone

I’m spoilt from the fact that the local park gets raked 2 or 3 times a day in the spring

FuzzGNU

« Reply #592 on: March 29, 2022, 09:50:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Take. A. Lesson.

Thanks both of you. I've taken it to heart. Next year I'm going and getting an instructor lesson.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #593 on: April 03, 2022, 01:34:12 AM »
Thanks for all the info about Cham, guys. Sitting on a bus towards Chamonix now, after spending some days in Val D’Isere… Apparently it’s been one of the worst seasons in a hot minute, but we got a 40cm dump the night before yesterday, so did get some nice fluffy runs just outside the pistes. Was a nice change after a couple of days of foggy, soggy and crowded mess.

Speaking of foggy messes: I’m struggling with my goggles fogging up. Might be that I’m running hot or being covered in snow or just that my goggles are shit - anyone who managed to beat the fog? Is there some secret trick to it, or should I just suck it up? 😐

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #594 on: April 03, 2022, 07:11:55 AM »
Thanks for all the info about Cham, guys. Sitting on a bus towards Chamonix now, after spending some days in Val D’Isere… Apparently it’s been one of the worst seasons in a hot minute, but we got a 40cm dump the night before yesterday, so did get some nice fluffy runs just outside the pistes. Was a nice change after a couple of days of foggy, soggy and crowded mess.

Speaking of foggy messes: I’m struggling with my goggles fogging up. Might be that I’m running hot or being covered in snow or just that my goggles are shit - anyone who managed to beat the fog? Is there some secret trick to it, or should I just suck it up? 😐

Make sure they are completely dry before going out, even if that means sticking them in the hand dryer in the bathroom for half a minute. Make sure there isn’t any residual moisture.

Next, make sure and helmet or hood you have on isn’t blocking the top vents.
If you have your face down while riding the lift, or wearing a mask over your nose and under the goggles, that will trap your warm breath inside and fog them.

They are made to unfog themselves by wind forcing itself in while you ride, but if you are say hiking, and not moving very fast but heating up, you can fog them up that way too.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #595 on: April 13, 2022, 06:43:24 AM »
Anyone anywhere with the season still going?

It was fucking 20 degrees in the valley, 12 degrees at the park, and the snow was pretty slow.

The park crew has been good at reforming and salting the jumps 2-3 times a day, but the snow is so soft the areas between the jumps is crazy bumpy and rutted.

But I went out specifically because I’ve had a dream for about 26 years now. Which is to land a bs 7. I gave up on this dream maybe 10 years ago, thinking it wouldn’t happen (I landed a cab 7 once, and thought ‘good enough).

But a week ago I rented some park skis, and decided I was going to learn 3s I the park, like the other instructors I worked with. I always wanted to do ‘a helicopter’ as a kid in the 80’s, but was too chickenshit. So at the ripe age of 46, I tried.

And what do you know, it wasn’t that hard! Got it second try. And continued landing them the rest of the sesh.

So after fulfilling that dream rather easily, I’m now I’m thinking ’maybe I can do a bs 7’. But I’ve had a huge mental block from spinning over 5. Just thinking about it in bed used to get me a little panicky.

But I tried one last Friday, while the park jumps are still doable. I didn’t die, so I came back today, and got 5 or 6 more kicks at the can.

I’m getting within the last 90 degrees, but I’m not aware enough of where I am to spot the landing and put it down.

But I’m really happy I got over the fear and walked away after 6 failed attempts.

If anyone has some good advice for spotting the last 90, I’d love to hear it.

Fraserjamesjollyjamieson

• Rep: -17
  • Brown 2
« Reply #596 on: April 27, 2022, 07:21:51 AM »
Just came back from a quick hi8tus in laax just there, was a Salomon trip going on at the time got to see dusty and Tommy gesme ride which was a treat crazy the pipe is still in as good condition as it is on a side note dusty n luke wink are very bad darts players

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #597 on: April 27, 2022, 08:35:41 AM »
Dusty is the Tom Penny of snowboarding.

I’m still recovering from a bs 7 attempt. Might get one more day in before seasons end

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #598 on: April 27, 2022, 08:41:11 AM »
Just came back from a quick hi8tus in laax just there, was a Salomon trip going on at the time got to see dusty and Tommy gesme ride which was a treat crazy the pipe is still in as good condition as it is on a side note dusty n luke wink are very bad darts players

Can't beat LAAX, done 4 or 5 trips there... chatted to Gigi Ruf once which was cool, it's pro-ho heaven in the spring. P60 laps for days.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #599 on: April 27, 2022, 06:21:26 PM »
Anyone anywhere with the season still going?

scored a spring storm last week in kirkwood, california. first time actually getting a spot at the mountain (outside of car camping in the parking lot) versus staying in south lake tahoe and commuting. definitely had a blast riding with my partner in the storm and the blue bird day the next.

waxed the boards and put them away for next season, but i may have to do some summer hiking up at mt. rose if the snow holds.