Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53442 times)

Skibb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #600 on: July 11, 2022, 03:42:00 AM »
So, winter season is still faaar away... But I'm toying with the idea of doing a pow-trip to Japan the coming winter. But I have no idea where to even begin. Planning on going with a couple of friends, maybe renting a car and visiting a *couple* of spots during ~2 weeks.

Pals located in Japan – when's the best time to go there? And are the resorts on Hokkaido the place to be? What are some cheap and simple places to stay? Love

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #601 on: July 11, 2022, 05:00:36 PM »
So, winter season is still faaar away... But I'm toying with the idea of doing a pow-trip to Japan the coming winter. But I have no idea where to even begin. Planning on going with a couple of friends, maybe renting a car and visiting a *couple* of spots during ~2 weeks.

Pals located in Japan – when's the best time to go there? And are the resorts on Hokkaido the place to be? What are some cheap and simple places to stay? Love

Sounds like a dream come true. Also, RIP Ryan Davis.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #602 on: July 11, 2022, 05:34:22 PM »

I don’t live in Hokkaido, just on the main island so I can’t answer specifically about Niseko.

While Hokkaido usually has fairly consistent snow, it’s still gamble with global warming fucking up seasons.

I’ve been on snow for 40+ years, and I’m not confident in encouraging anyone to spend a fuckwad of cash in advance to go anywhere, because snowfall is now becoming completely hit or miss.

We had 2 amazing seasons during Covid. But just before Covid hit, we had the worst season in record. And in the year before that was terrible too. It’s just too up and down now.
It’s also an extra kick to the nuts, because if the snowfall is low in Japan, it’s usually firing in North America and vice versa.

I suggest just waiting to see what the season does in your neck of the woods and then going somewhere where it snows within a reasonable distance with a better chance of getting decent snow. Try cat skiing if you haven’t already.

And contributing less to Global Warming by flying halfway around the world for a decreasing snowpack.

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but travel agents and tourism boards only want to sell you shit with big talk about the snow, but with no guarantee. You won’t hear this from them.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 05:41:54 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #603 on: July 11, 2022, 10:23:55 PM »
I was in Hakuba for that 2020 season, it was really sad to see how little snow there was in Feb - other times the snowfall was just endless at that time.
I’d recommend looking initiate Hakuba/Nagano, maybe 5/6 mountains all on the same pass, not far from accom by free PT (although the public bus was a bit lacking in 2020 but other seasons its been mint)
Also it’s on Honshu, the main island so easily accessible from Tokyo/Kyoto means so can get some city time on the same trip.
I feel like it would be pretty reasonable on money if you’re on the USD too.

Skibb

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #604 on: July 14, 2022, 04:30:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t live in Hokkaido, just on the main island so I can’t answer specifically about Niseko.

While Hokkaido usually has fairly consistent snow, it’s still gamble with global warming fucking up seasons.

I’ve been on snow for 40+ years, and I’m not confident in encouraging anyone to spend a fuckwad of cash in advance to go anywhere, because snowfall is now becoming completely hit or miss.

We had 2 amazing seasons during Covid. But just before Covid hit, we had the worst season in record. And in the year before that was terrible too. It’s just too up and down now.
It’s also an extra kick to the nuts, because if the snowfall is low in Japan, it’s usually firing in North America and vice versa.

I suggest just waiting to see what the season does in your neck of the woods and then going somewhere where it snows within a reasonable distance with a better chance of getting decent snow. Try cat skiing if you haven’t already.

And contributing less to Global Warming by flying halfway around the world for a decreasing snowpack.

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but travel agents and tourism boards only want to sell you shit with big talk about the snow, but with no guarantee. You won’t hear this from them.

I mean – it's obviously not only the snow that's luring me halfway across the globe. We get a lot of snow over in Norway, a 10 hour drive away. But it's a place I've always wanted to visit, and a snow trip seems as good a reason as any. And sure, the snow is always a gamble when going on trips like this, of course. Re: global warming – yeah, what can I say. I hear you.

I was in Hakuba for that 2020 season, it was really sad to see how little snow there was in Feb - other times the snowfall was just endless at that time.
I’d recommend looking initiate Hakuba/Nagano, maybe 5/6 mountains all on the same pass, not far from accom by free PT (although the public bus was a bit lacking in 2020 but other seasons its been mint)
Also it’s on Honshu, the main island so easily accessible from Tokyo/Kyoto means so can get some city time on the same trip.
I feel like it would be pretty reasonable on money if you’re on the USD too.

I've heard the crowds can be hella bad in Hakuba, is this true?

Expand Quote

[close]

Sounds like a dream come true. Also, RIP Ryan Davis.

RIP indeed.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #605 on: July 14, 2022, 06:13:36 AM »
Hakuba can be rammed, depending on a variety of factors.

- low snowfall early season
Everyone in Honshu crowds onto the tops of  3 mountains. Not much terrain, maybe 2 or 3 lifts each, and mandatory gondola upload and downloading. Lift lines are nuts.

- Wind stoppage. Some days are gnarly, and almost the whole valley shuts down.

- Weekends and holidays. Everyone and their dog come out.

Some hills like Cortina will be rammed the day after a snowfall where every gentem-stick jockey wants GoPro footage.

With COVID, except for weekends it’s been amazing. I’ve had tree runs just to myself for a whole morning. That will end as soon as travel restrictions are lifted.

Everything else, good restaurants, hotels, etc are crazy or quiet depending on the Japanese, Auzzie, and Chinese holidays.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #606 on: September 16, 2022, 03:45:15 AM »
Still hot here in the Japanese alps, +30°C most days. Thought I’d put together an edit from last season to get me through this warmth until winter.

And a little Violent Femmes and the Frightnrs to get it going.

(No, I didn’t land any 7s or McTwists, maybe this season)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CikCLhrDHAb/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

FuzzGNU

« Reply #607 on: September 16, 2022, 06:58:34 AM »
Still hot here in the Japanese alps, +30°C most days. Thought I’d put together an edit from last season to get me through this warmth until winter.

And a little Violent Femmes and the Frightnrs to get it going.

(No, I didn’t land any 7s or McTwists, maybe this season)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CikCLhrDHAb/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I can snowboard a mountain for the first time this winter! This has got me hyped to make it happen!

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #608 on: September 18, 2022, 01:00:15 PM »
The weather is cooling off a little and I’m getting hyped. Haven’t snowboarded one 2 years due to various life circumstances, but now I’m back in the northeast and ready to shred some ice

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #609 on: September 18, 2022, 03:44:38 PM »
A friend of mine turned me on to this.
Gives the vibe of a bunch of guys in their 40’s making a 90’s-inspired snowboard movie, but with better cinematography.

Some small Easter eggs in there, like the Neil Young-sampled teach for the Mt Baker part.

https://youtu.be/_Zx8bwBPrIA

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #610 on: October 12, 2022, 05:49:47 PM »

xrossings

• Rep: 61
« Reply #611 on: October 12, 2022, 06:34:47 PM »
this one time i bought this one snowboard dvd called happy day on ebay not knowing what it was it was a pretty dope watch when it got here

ShredosaurusRex

• Rep: 0
« Reply #612 on: October 21, 2022, 11:19:26 AM »
Ordered plaintickets from Norway to Sapporo yesterday february 17th until 26th. Fucking stoked!

kook1234

• Rep: 132
« Reply #613 on: October 24, 2022, 05:55:17 AM »
I love hitting the snow

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #614 on: October 27, 2022, 09:54:33 PM »
I love hitting the snow

Same bro, same.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #615 on: November 02, 2022, 08:59:22 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QSRkaHl1o0&t=1099s

Some of the clips are absolutely insane in this. Dust Box with another banger
Proverbs 27:17

FuzzGNU

« Reply #616 on: November 07, 2022, 06:07:14 PM »
Are there any companies that make some decent but really cheap snowboards or smaller snowboards? I have an old snowskate but its pretty awful tbh.

Stuhfy

• Rep: 4
    • YouTube avatar image
« Reply #617 on: November 07, 2022, 11:19:41 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QSRkaHl1o0&t=1099s

Some of the clips are absolutely insane in this. Dust Box with another banger

the best crew in the game

Skibb

« Reply #618 on: November 08, 2022, 03:32:11 AM »
This shape is crazy, but Koruas edits always stoke me out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjLTkGZR1mY

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #619 on: November 08, 2022, 05:39:40 AM »

This thing looks crazy, surfy, and fun. The most surprising thing is that it actually looks kinda fun on groomers, like it as a weird sort of float to it

As I start to get hyped for the upcoming season I’m thinking about gear. Do you all have quivers? For the first time in my life I make enough money that having multiple boards is a feasible option, and I’m considering getting a jib beater for crappy days in the terrain parks when everything else sucks.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #620 on: November 08, 2022, 06:44:37 AM »
Are there any companies that make some decent but really cheap snowboards or smaller snowboards? I have an old snowskate but its pretty awful tbh.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a decent used one cheap. I picked up an entry level K2 snowboard with bindings for $35 at a thrift store, and this is pretty common. I had the option for a few higher end ones in the $75-150 range, but they were all too long for me and also I'm not really a snowboarder so I don't know that I'll appreciate the difference right away.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #621 on: November 08, 2022, 07:23:08 AM »
Anyone have experience at Dolomite Superski? I'm going there in Feb for a week but not sure where to start. I'm a fairly advanced all mountain rider, ill go anywhere in bounds at copper and winter park.

Stuhfy

• Rep: 4
    • YouTube avatar image
« Reply #622 on: November 08, 2022, 02:09:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This thing looks crazy, surfy, and fun. The most surprising thing is that it actually looks kinda fun on groomers, like it as a weird sort of float to it

As I start to get hyped for the upcoming season I’m thinking about gear. Do you all have quivers? For the first time in my life I make enough money that having multiple boards is a feasible option, and I’m considering getting a jib beater for crappy days in the terrain parks when everything else sucks.

thriftboards.com dude sells a bunch of older boards for a pretty fair price given the condition of them,, my quiver is
2 beaters and a nice powder board, and a hovland snow skate.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #623 on: November 08, 2022, 02:39:59 PM »
This is going to be my first season riding. Bought most of my gear already, just need to get fitted for boots in the shop.

I live/work in Aspen during the winter. Work gives us a 4 mountain pass. Super excited but also a bit nervous.

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #624 on: November 08, 2022, 05:20:14 PM »
Look at used gear. I force myself to buy snowboard decks used because I have the madness. It's still going to cost a lot more than a skateboard.

When you buy boots, make sure they fit perfectly or you're gonna have a bad time.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #625 on: November 09, 2022, 02:18:14 AM »
Another vote for used board and bindings, but new boots (unless you can score a pair of almost new ones).

As for quivers, I have about 4 boards I use regularly (I also instruct), but 2 of them are used.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #626 on: November 09, 2022, 09:12:36 AM »
This is going to be my first season riding. Bought most of my gear already, just need to get fitted for boots in the shop.

I live/work in Aspen during the winter. Work gives us a 4 mountain pass. Super excited but also a bit nervous.

How is the snow pack?  We need 50ft in Tahoe, I think we got about 5' this week

Skibb

« Reply #627 on: November 11, 2022, 02:57:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How is the snow pack?  We need 50ft in Tahoe, I think we got about 5' this week

50 feet snowpack? The fuck?

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #628 on: November 11, 2022, 05:03:15 AM »
I miss snowboarding so much, I set up my skateboard with ricta clouds and I go carving around pretending I'm snowboarding on sweet powder.

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #629 on: November 11, 2022, 09:05:56 AM »
Comes out on November 16th. Looks sick!

https://youtu.be/cj2yMYAkKXg