Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53802 times)

hiljentaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 301
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #630 on: November 11, 2022, 11:26:46 AM »
Expand Quote
This is going to be my first season riding. Bought most of my gear already, just need to get fitted for boots in the shop.

I live/work in Aspen during the winter. Work gives us a 4 mountain pass. Super excited but also a bit nervous.
[close]

How is the snow pack?  We need 50ft in Tahoe, I think we got about 5' this week

Enough that Aspen/Snowmass is opening early. Still way too early to say how the season will be though.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #631 on: November 12, 2022, 07:59:34 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysjv-zfczjo

Austen Sweetin and Lucey never fail. This got me stoked for some earth surfin
Proverbs 27:17

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #632 on: November 12, 2022, 09:54:34 AM »

Oh wow. What is this type of snowboarding called? (In the first half where they're sorta riding those little bumps like they're surfing)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 10:02:54 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #633 on: November 12, 2022, 07:45:52 PM »
 freeriding.
Proverbs 27:17

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #634 on: November 16, 2022, 02:33:36 PM »

rickdizzo

• Rep: 15
  • I'M THE WHITE LIAM NEESON
« Reply #635 on: November 17, 2022, 01:03:13 PM »
So, winter season is still faaar away... But I'm toying with the idea of doing a pow-trip to Japan the coming winter. But I have no idea where to even begin. Planning on going with a couple of friends, maybe renting a car and visiting a *couple* of spots during ~2 weeks.

Pals located in Japan – when's the best time to go there? And are the resorts on Hokkaido the place to be? What are some cheap and simple places to stay? Love

FYI if ya got a veil pass you get a free week at hakuba or rutustu.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #636 on: November 17, 2022, 03:16:28 PM »
Expand Quote
So, winter season is still faaar away... But I'm toying with the idea of doing a pow-trip to Japan the coming winter. But I have no idea where to even begin. Planning on going with a couple of friends, maybe renting a car and visiting a *couple* of spots during ~2 weeks.

Pals located in Japan – when's the best time to go there? And are the resorts on Hokkaido the place to be? What are some cheap and simple places to stay? Love
[close]

FYI if ya got a veil pass you get a free week at hakuba or rutustu.

the ikon gives you 7 days at Niseko as well if you are not on the Epic Pass.

I went to Niseko in 2017 from Feb 10th-22nd. It obviously depends on the year, but I'd say anytime in late January until end of February is probably the best time to go. We were supposed to do Hakuba and some other lodge/backcountry thing on the main island, but it was too warm down there so we just stayed in Niseko for the duration of our trip. We used Ecolodge hostel right outside Niseko and it was around $75 per night per person, which was really good. They had a dank restaurant in the hostel that served really good food. close to the resort etc.

It was also pretty cheap to ride there without a pass at the time , I think it was 40-65 a day depending on how many sections of Niseko you wanted to ride (4 zones on the mtn) If i went back I'd focus on each zone for a day instead of trying to get an entire mountain pass which was more expensive .

if anybody in Colorado this winter and makes it up to Steamboat, hit me up and I can show ya some good stuff.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Snowboard Ahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQPY4Fi0Kjoppreciation
« Reply #637 on: December 01, 2022, 05:31:09 AM »

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #638 on: December 05, 2022, 09:25:08 PM »
Excellent video!

https://youtu.be/h4-FOikIzis

This video is sick.  My buddy has a few clips in it.

It's actually been kinda a cold and snowy start to the winter.  Hoping our ski hill opens soon.  Global warming has pushed that until late Dec/Early january most years, but I think they are close.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #639 on: December 07, 2022, 05:59:18 AM »
Just washed, nikwaxed , and dried my gear today. Gotta wax the gloves and I’ll be good for when the hills open next week
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: Snowboard Ahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQPY4Fi0Kjoppreciation
« Reply #640 on: December 07, 2022, 06:50:00 AM »
Excellent video!

https://youtu.be/h4-FOikIzis

Thanks for sharing... Cool soundtrack and editing.

@Skibb RIP Ryan Davis
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 02:53:33 PM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
« Reply #641 on: December 07, 2022, 12:36:43 PM »

I think him and Iika pulled up to my local park a few years back, they are both pretty competent skaters too which I’m finding is pretty common. 

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #642 on: December 07, 2022, 01:20:01 PM »
Just purchased my Ikon pass today. Gotta use these 10 days carefully

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #643 on: December 07, 2022, 03:19:45 PM »
anyone every try Pow surfing , or snow-skating on the boards that have the one skinny ski ? both are humbling ! Pow surfing id say is easier especially if good snow. but the snow-skate really thru me , was way harder than I thought it'd be .

got an awesome Aesmo powsurf this season though, and it is so damn fun on untouched snow. Got a friend with a snowmobile so taking some laps isn't too hard.

great start to the season here though, we've already crossed 100"

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #644 on: December 07, 2022, 03:39:32 PM »
if anybody in Colorado this winter and makes it up to Steamboat, hit me up and I can show ya some good stuff.

I’d hit you up but I did Epic pass this year, goin to Whistler in the spring and have some friends with a house at beaver creek. Haven’t been to Steambutt in years….

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
« Reply #645 on: December 07, 2022, 04:30:14 PM »
Just went for the first time ever today. Holy shit that was so fun!!!

I was originally going up with 2 friends, one of which is really good and with the other it’s been about 10 years. Last minute the friend that’s really good and helped me choose my gear got injured, so my other friend and I just went anyway. So glad i did tho, it was hard but so fun! Pretty much just learned how to heelside carve and stop without falling. Toe side carving seems so hard but I’ll get there eventually. For now, just so stoked to have somewhat of a foundation so i can start going up a bunch this season.

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #646 on: December 07, 2022, 10:47:47 PM »

I was originally going up with 2 friends, one of which is really good and with the other it’s been about 10 years. Last minute the friend that’s really good and helped me choose my gear got injured, so my other friend and I just went anyway. So glad i did tho, it was hard but so fun! Pretty much just learned how to heelside carve and stop without falling. Toe side carving seems so hard but I’ll get there eventually. For now, just so stoked to have somewhat of a foundation so i can start going up a bunch this season.

You'll probably figure it out fully your next time out.  The first time or two are notoriously hard for beginners, then after that it's like riding a bike and is super easy. 

Skibb

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #647 on: December 08, 2022, 03:55:29 AM »
Leaving for Norway today, stoked to finally start the season. No idea what this is in Fahrenheit, but it’s gonna be sub -20C, so shits gonna be crispy.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #648 on: December 08, 2022, 08:51:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You'll probably figure it out fully your next time out.  The first time or two are notoriously hard for beginners, then after that it's like riding a bike and is super easy.

Yeah that’s what everyone told me. Looking forward to start going up with friends and getting better. Yesterday I pretty much taught myself after a few tips from my friend. I’m pretty lucky that the mountains are only an hour drive from me so getting up there is super easy

Pasta Monster

« Reply #649 on: December 10, 2022, 04:14:40 AM »
I popped my snowboarding cherry too. The amount of money needed for gear plus accessing slopes always put me off. After trying it, I think I’ll get a weekly pass for wintertime. It’s a lot more affordable than I thought, and comes with gear rental.

Does anyone know where to get good/cheap boots? I’m okay with renting board/bindings but felt disgusted after using rental boots.

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: December 10, 2022, 04:35:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I popped my snowboarding cherry too. The amount of money needed for gear plus accessing slopes always put me off. After trying it, I think I’ll get a weekly pass for wintertime. It’s a lot more affordable than I thought, and comes with gear rental.

Does anyone know where to get good/cheap boots? I’m okay with renting board/bindings but felt disgusted after using rental boots.

Boots are something you're going to want to try on first.  It's probably the one part of your setup you don't want to cheap out on.  Nice fitting quality boots make your day so much more comfortable.

adumb

• Rep: -5
« Reply #651 on: December 11, 2022, 04:48:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good and cheap don't go together with snow gear. 32 Lashed or Vans Hi Standard or decent for full lace boots. Both run in the $200 range, anything with Boa is gonna be a bit more. Mid range boots this season are $300-ish.
I run a snowboard shop, DM me if you have any questions on gear, I can help you find stuff

Skibb

« Reply #652 on: December 13, 2022, 05:36:37 AM »
Pretty stoked on the season opener in Norway... No new snow the last week, but it was cold as fuck (-22C/-7F) so there was still a lot of fluff left in the woods. A buddy of mine managed to keep his fingers functioning long enough to snap a pic of me tunneling through some real black metal looking scenery:

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #653 on: December 13, 2022, 10:32:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I bought some 32s which after an hour or so of riding felt horrible on my right toes. I sold them and tried on a ton of boots (really wanted the new Ojo vans but all the vans I tried hurt my feet. Ended up settling on boa DCs. Moral of the story go to a local shop and try on every boot that you might be interested in
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #654 on: December 13, 2022, 10:58:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Boots are something you're going to want to try on first.  It's probably the one part of your setup you don't want to cheap out on.  Nice fitting quality boots make your day so much more comfortable.

I concur that you should most definitely try on boots. I’m super lucky in that i have a friend who works at the shop I bought my gear at so he gave me some good guidance. First day my feet were hurtin tho, so I can’t imagine non broken in boots that don’t fit right

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #655 on: December 14, 2022, 01:34:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I concur that you should most definitely try on boots. I’m super lucky in that i have a friend who works at the shop I bought my gear at so he gave me some good guidance. First day my feet were hurtin tho, so I can’t imagine non broken in boots that don’t fit right

also remember that boots tend to "pack out"....I bought new Vans last year and they felt really tight and uncomfortable on the first day, so I was worried. But afterwards they felt fine! Had I bought a bigger size, they would have ended up too big....

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
« Reply #656 on: December 14, 2022, 12:23:30 PM »
Boots is a tough one because they do loosen up and fit your foot better over time, and you want the, to be snug and not swimming around. But for sure, if they aren’t giving and your feet hurt it sucks…..

Trying them on is the best way to go and getting advice from a shop that cares vs. Someone just trying to move something…..

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #657 on: December 14, 2022, 04:11:03 PM »
I'll be up at copper Dec 16 and 19, anyone want to meet up? Ikon here so I'm down all season

Also doing dolomite superski in February, any euro pals got the scoop on what's good there? I'm worried I'll be stuck on blue groomers the whole trip, wanna do more advanced stuff.

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #658 on: December 14, 2022, 08:12:38 PM »
New D.O.P.E Industries video

https://youtu.be/TyIpueWjFsk
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #659 on: December 15, 2022, 04:34:47 AM »
Also doing dolomite superski in February, any euro pals got the scoop on what's good there? I'm worried I'll be stuck on blue groomers the whole trip, wanna do more advanced stuff.

I guess it depends where you'll be staying.

I live close to Cortina, so I've been going up there mostly. Any run that's more advanced in that area is 100% weather dependent.

There are some runs coming down from Faloria that are great but if it's not a sunny day or if there is no fresh snow, it's a cold icy nightmare. I tend to avoid going up there honestly, because if it sucks, it really sucks, like no fun, and I prefer to take things easy during my snow days. Tofana is slightly less weather dependent, but the runs aren't as advanced. All of Cortina is pretty mellow honestly unless you seek out the really difficult stuff.

For me, the best area is the one up by Cinque Torri. There's a parking lot near Pocol past Socrepes (Socrepes is a fucking shitshow hell, do not park there unless you need to, you will be boxed in by angry men in fur coats dropping their brats off at ski school in their Lamborghini Urus all day long and wish you were dead) where they put in a new gondola last year that goes directly from the parking lot to the Cinque Torri area. From the base there you can keep going up to the top. There's a run that goes down the backside up there that's super fun (although pretty mellow). You can keep going up to the bowl from there which is fun and very beautiful, but it's not 100% snowboard friendly. There are some older lifts that spit you directly into a downhill area (there's nowhere to strap in) so you need to keep on your toes. Then to get back there's a long flat section where if the conditions are anything less than perfect or your board needs some wax, you'll be sweating trying to get back to 'civilization'.

I don't know anything about the backcountry up there because I've never had ideal weather when I was with people and when it was open the few times I was there alone, so I didn't feel like it was smart to go out there.

You can end up very far from your car if you're not smart. I had someone in our group who decided to have 'a few more runs' at the end of the day and they ended up on the complete other side of the mountain and finally found a taxi which cost them €150 to get back to the parking lot.

Or you can just take the gondola that goes from the Cortina center parking lot (where you buy the ski passes) and figure it out on your own. You can get pretty much everywhere in the area by planning a route except Faloria and Missurina, so if you decide to go up on that side, you're pretty much there for the day.

But Dolomiti Superski is several mountains so if you're not going to Cortina this will not be useful at all, haha.