Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53929 times)

Lukabrazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #660 on: December 19, 2022, 03:35:59 PM »
We've had the most epic early season so far, last week had 45"+ accrue in 4 days. Some of the deepest snow I've ever ridden in my life. I'll try and upload a gopro video my roommate took. but just a wild start up here. Chest deep blower is something I've never felt before and it was a wild wild feeling. The combination of it being early season last week with no tourists, no lines, and just 1ft plus each day created some of the best conditions I've ever seen

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #661 on: December 21, 2022, 11:23:07 AM »
We've had the most epic early season so far, last week had 45"+ accrue in 4 days. Some of the deepest snow I've ever ridden in my life. I'll try and upload a gopro video my roommate took. but just a wild start up here. Chest deep blower is something I've never felt before and it was a wild wild feeling. The combination of it being early season last week with no tourists, no lines, and just 1ft plus each day created some of the best conditions I've ever seen

Damn, that sounds amazing! Assuming this is around PNW?

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #662 on: December 24, 2022, 08:41:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn, that sounds amazing! Assuming this is around PNW?

steamboat CO

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmfBgNajc_l/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #663 on: December 27, 2022, 05:03:01 AM »
There is f-all snow here in the Vecors and Chamrousse...sucks as I'm off work till the fourth but can't go overnight anywhere.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 513
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #664 on: December 27, 2022, 10:42:59 AM »
Can't use my pass for the next few days, so I'm just watching these storms roll through Tahoe and hoping the base down to the lake stays in tact.

If anyone spends time riding on the west coast of the USA, the Open Snow forecasters are pretty good: https://opensnow.com/dailysnow . Looks like they also report on more of the world now.

The Mean SLP/Pcpn models here are also useful for keeping an eye on future storm systems: https://cnrfc.noaa.gov/weather_models.php

This season has been pretty solid. A few weeks ago was the earliest I've been able to get out on one of my favorite slack / back country runs. You can start up around 10,000 ft / 3048 m and end up around 6300 ft / 1920 m. Didn't hit any rocks the whole way down, which is always nice.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #665 on: December 31, 2022, 11:21:10 PM »
I've been using the same gear since high school.  Since I'm taking a small trip to northern MN to snowboard this year I figured I'll try to replace the bindings.  I lowballed someone on some used Union Stratas on ebay.  If they don't take the offer, I'm going buy a set of Union Forces.

Skibb

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #666 on: January 01, 2023, 01:40:53 AM »

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #667 on: January 01, 2023, 05:44:57 PM »
Bought a new set of Union Strata bindings.  I had some anxiety about using 15 year old bindings, and having them snap or some shit while I'm flying down the hill.  I'll probably try to swap out a new piece of gear every year until I have a relatively new setup.  I'll probably get new boots next year.

Skibb

« Reply #668 on: January 04, 2023, 06:04:02 AM »
Heading to southwestern Norway again to chase some pow. This was the forecast last week, still got 60-70cm to go before the weekend.

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #669 on: January 04, 2023, 09:55:20 AM »
East coast this season has been brutal. I haven't even gone yet. Rainy, warm, with a below freezing day a couple times a week to make sure it's a real shitshow. So much of the country is having an epic winter, but I just looked at what it would cost to take a trip out west and it just isn't worth it to me right now.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #670 on: January 05, 2023, 07:31:58 AM »
Just started this season. I feel like i hit a plateau of what I could learn on my own, so i just signed up for a lesson. Heel side turns/ carves are pretty easy but toe side carves are still pretty elusive. I watched a couple YouTube videos but didn’t really get anything from that because it’s hard to take that knowledge and actually apply it. I figured a lesson would help me out a lot and will help me improve way faster

Spacenoid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #671 on: January 07, 2023, 02:30:57 AM »
East coast this season has been brutal. I haven't even gone yet. Rainy, warm, with a below freezing day a couple times a week to make sure it's a real shitshow. So much of the country is having an epic winter, but I just looked at what it would cost to take a trip out west and it just isn't worth it to me right now.

I went 3 times last week, with only 5 trails open I am genuinely bored outside of the park. It's cooling down starting today but I don't really want to ride until snowmaking is back on.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #672 on: January 07, 2023, 02:56:47 AM »
Just started this season. I feel like i hit a plateau of what I could learn on my own, so i just signed up for a lesson. Heel side turns/ carves are pretty easy but toe side carves are still pretty elusive. I watched a couple YouTube videos but didn’t really get anything from that because it’s hard to take that knowledge and actually apply it. I figured a lesson would help me out a lot and will help me improve way faster

I want to hear how this goes.
A lot of people find turning on the heels easier than the toes, but once you get better, it switches, and nice heelside turns and carves are harder to do.

Finally had my first time out riding for myself after teaching for 2 weeks straight   Ride with some friends and the wife, and enjoyed hucking  some be 3s off cattracks into choppy snow.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #673 on: January 07, 2023, 01:10:05 PM »
from what I remember, I would heel side, then flat base it, but still try and maintain some control of my back foot, then initiate the toe side, ie. instead of linking, toe/heel/toe/heel, I'd heel/flat/toe/flat...

Flat basing is obvious dangerous if you aren't in control of your edges but those steps gave me a bit more time.  I'd take a lesson just because it forces you not to just throw yourself at it.  Pick your days too, icy days are not worth it.  You're literally hours to minutes away from it.....

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #674 on: January 08, 2023, 04:19:39 AM »
Just got back from a week at La Plagne (huge French resort, goes up to 3400 m/11 000 feet, 75 lifts) with the family....snow was pretty shitty/icy (it's been way too hot in december and snow has been melting/freezing again) and my knee is giving me trouble lately, so at first I almost regretted spending the money on coming....First 2 or 3 days were not really fun. and one week pass is super expensive. But then conditions got better (still no fresh snow though) and I found my snowboarding legs again....basically got super amped on snowboarding all over again ha!

Can't wait to go back. Also my oldest son is getting to the point where he is starting to do small ollies off jumps and shit, so it's just awesome to be able to snowboard together!    8)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:24:58 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Skibb

« Reply #675 on: January 09, 2023, 01:40:03 AM »
Norway delivered!! This is my lil Fiat Panda after being parked overnight - three days of just doing laps in the deep, fucking so much fun!!

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #676 on: January 09, 2023, 09:06:08 PM »
I fucking love snowboarding. I grew up in a ski town and have been riding for over 20years.  My wife snowboards as well, and we just put our 4 year old in ski lessons this winter.
If anyone needs any trick tips or whatever, lemme know!

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #677 on: January 09, 2023, 09:14:37 PM »
hucking  some be 3s off cattracks into choppy snow.

If heaven exists, this is what everyone does all day everyday there.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #678 on: January 10, 2023, 02:54:40 AM »
I fucking love snowboarding. I grew up in a ski town and have been riding for over 20years.  My wife snowboards as well, and we just put our 4 year old in ski lessons this winter.

Back 7!
I can only get to 630, having trouble getting the last 90 degrees

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #679 on: January 10, 2023, 02:18:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Back 7!

Are you grabbing mute while you're spinning backside? Mute helps keep your legs and shoulders in line during the rotation. So if you're spotting the landing, but your feet haven't come around to the rotation yet on that final 90° the grab will help.
Also try sucking your legs way way up during the spin and then you can kind of lower them for the landing during that last 90° cause you can spot your landing like on a bs360.
And then also trying doing a nice big windup during the initial compression of the take if transition before you launch off the jump, cause for 720° you gotta huck!

I bet it's a mental block though for that last 90°.
You got this!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 02:29:53 PM by Ankle_Lift »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #680 on: January 11, 2023, 12:57:21 AM »

20 seconds of me following my kid....it's only his second week of snowboarding so he's doing pretty good! proud af actually haha.... ;D
Wonder how long it takes before I'm the one that has trouble keeping up!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #681 on: January 11, 2023, 01:20:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Back 7!
[close]

Are you grabbing mute while you're spinning backside? Mute helps keep your legs and shoulders in line during the rotation. So if you're spotting the landing, but your feet haven't come around to the rotation yet on that final 90° the grab will help.
Also try sucking your legs way way up during the spin and then you can kind of lower them for the landing during that last 90° cause you can spot your landing like on a bs360.
And then also trying doing a nice big windup during the initial compression of the take if transition before you launch off the jump, cause for 720° you gotta huck!

I bet it's a mental block though for that last 90°.
You got this!

Thank you, mental block is exactly it.
I spent too many years doing bs 5s where you don’t need to keep looking around, and going past five is hard.

I’ll try it again this year if I find the right day and jump

Spacenoid

« Reply #682 on: January 12, 2023, 11:52:46 AM »

explain backside boardslide body positioning once you're on the feature, on a skateboard and a flat rail it's not hard but god damn I hate being trash once strapped in

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #683 on: January 12, 2023, 07:24:43 PM »
explain backside boardslide body positioning once you're on the feature, on a skateboard and a flat rail it's not hard but god damn I hate being trash once strapped in

Are you slipping out on the rail?
If you can do boardslide on a skate you can for sure do it on a snowboard. You probably have a mental block about doing it just because you're strapped in and can't jump off if your body weight is off center.

Keep your arms parallel with the rail the whole time, with your front arm pointing towards the end of the rail. This is key because your arms and shoulders are what keeps your weight balanced so you don't slip out.
When you air on,  rotate your lower body, almost like a shifty, so you lock into boardslide, so turn your legs 90°. Keep it nice and low and tucked, no straight legs, you'll bail. Keep you head low and pointed forwards looking to where you front hand is pointing
Once on the rail, keep your weight even over your bindings and your knees bent. It's kind of hard to explain, but try and keep your weight "flat" on the board, as in the board flat on the rail, without shifting your weight to either toe or heel edge.

I find frontside lipslides easier than backside boards. It's the same trick positioning, except you have more time to feel out your balance and find the balance point to lock in on the rail when you air on to it as you rotate your legs into boardslide position.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 10:05:54 PM by Ankle_Lift »

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #684 on: January 14, 2023, 12:09:55 AM »
Again, just started this season. Until recently I’ve been going with this dude who’s nothing but a negative prick, as I’ve learned over the past month or so. I was chilling with some skate homies who are also big snowboarders and man they were so nice it was refreshing. They basically told me don’t trip about not being good and to hit them up whenever i want to go. Just hearing that was so sick, I’m really stoked to go with someone who doesn’t talk shit on beginners. Just hearing that kind of negativity was really bumming me out
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 12:27:37 AM by Candied cigarettes »

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #685 on: January 14, 2023, 10:14:39 PM »
I didn't read all the thread and I never been snowboarding but someone had this DVD back in the day and I always liked it, it's called thanks brain

listen to cosmic psychos

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #686 on: January 15, 2023, 10:44:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I want to hear how this goes.
A lot of people find turning on the heels easier than the toes, but once you get better, it switches, and nice heelside turns and carves are harder to do.

Finally had my first time out riding for myself after teaching for 2 weeks straight   Ride with some friends and the wife, and enjoyed hucking  some be 3s off cattracks into choppy snow.

Took a lesson yesterday. Overall it was very mediocre. they put way too many super beginners in the class, like 4 people who could barely stand on the board even tho it was for people who should have the basics. All that said tho the instructor gave me pointers for toe side turns and by the time i left i was feeling way more comfortable and even did some proper toe side stops without eating shit.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #687 on: January 15, 2023, 11:59:12 PM »

youtube recommended this to me yesterday....the prices of ski passes in the US freaked me out! I had no idea, I thought 60 euros for a day pass at La Plagne was expensive....some of the info in the vid is not accurate (for instance every resort I've been to in Europe gives names to their runs) but it's still interesting.
Also kinda weird for a French guy like me to think of a mountain as privately owned. In France basically all resorts are publicly-owned, by the state.
Finally I don't understand why people don't close the bar on chairlifts in the US! That would freak me out ha.

Anyways I'm really hoping it snows soon, cause I want to go to Les Vosges for a weekend snowboard trip. It's a 5 hour drive from my place, much more manageable than the 9 or 10 hour trek to the Alps!

Spacenoid

« Reply #688 on: January 21, 2023, 03:08:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you slipping out on the rail?
If you can do boardslide on a skate you can for sure do it on a snowboard. You probably have a mental block about doing it just because you're strapped in and can't jump off if your body weight is off center.

Keep your arms parallel with the rail the whole time, with your front arm pointing towards the end of the rail. This is key because your arms and shoulders are what keeps your weight balanced so you don't slip out.
When you air on,  rotate your lower body, almost like a shifty, so you lock into boardslide, so turn your legs 90°. Keep it nice and low and tucked, no straight legs, you'll bail. Keep you head low and pointed forwards looking to where you front hand is pointing
Once on the rail, keep your weight even over your bindings and your knees bent. It's kind of hard to explain, but try and keep your weight "flat" on the board, as in the board flat on the rail, without shifting your weight to either toe or heel edge.

I find frontside lipslides easier than backside boards. It's the same trick positioning, except you have more time to feel out your balance and find the balance point to lock in on the rail when you air on to it as you rotate your legs into boardslide position.

thanks to you and some other friends helping me lock in my body positioning, I landed a few on a rainbow box the other day. trying to clean it up and go for more speed today. much love bro

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #689 on: January 22, 2023, 02:43:21 PM »
The one thing I messed up on was staying flat……went heel side on a front board and that was the end of rails for me….