Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53413 times)

Ankle_Lift

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #690 on: January 22, 2023, 08:24:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
explain backside boardslide body positioning once you're on the feature, on a skateboard and a flat rail it's not hard but god damn I hate being trash once strapped in
[close]

Are you slipping out on the rail?
If you can do boardslide on a skate you can for sure do it on a snowboard. You probably have a mental block about doing it just because you're strapped in and can't jump off if your body weight is off center.

Keep your arms parallel with the rail the whole time, with your front arm pointing towards the end of the rail. This is key because your arms and shoulders are what keeps your weight balanced so you don't slip out.
When you air on,  rotate your lower body, almost like a shifty, so you lock into boardslide, so turn your legs 90°. Keep it nice and low and tucked, no straight legs, you'll bail. Keep you head low and pointed forwards looking to where you front hand is pointing
Once on the rail, keep your weight even over your bindings and your knees bent. It's kind of hard to explain, but try and keep your weight "flat" on the board, as in the board flat on the rail, without shifting your weight to either toe or heel edge.

I find frontside lipslides easier than backside boards. It's the same trick positioning, except you have more time to feel out your balance and find the balance point to lock in on the rail when you air on to it as you rotate your legs into boardslide position.
[close]

thanks to you and some other friends helping me lock in my body positioning, I landed a few on a rainbow box the other day. trying to clean it up and go for more speed today. much love bro

Hell yeah! Next, take it to a flat-down rail. These are great to practice on because you can just ride on 5050 on the flat, and then when the rail goes to down, you just pivot to boardslide and your momentum carries you, so you can really get the feel of a proper locked in boardslide. You just have to remember to lean way forwards on the down, and your arms should match the angle of the rail.

Stoked for you my dude!

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #691 on: January 24, 2023, 06:47:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
explain backside boardslide body positioning once you're on the feature, on a skateboard and a flat rail it's not hard but god damn I hate being trash once strapped in
[close]

Are you slipping out on the rail?
If you can do boardslide on a skate you can for sure do it on a snowboard. You probably have a mental block about doing it just because you're strapped in and can't jump off if your body weight is off center.

Keep your arms parallel with the rail the whole time, with your front arm pointing towards the end of the rail. This is key because your arms and shoulders are what keeps your weight balanced so you don't slip out.
When you air on,  rotate your lower body, almost like a shifty, so you lock into boardslide, so turn your legs 90°. Keep it nice and low and tucked, no straight legs, you'll bail. Keep you head low and pointed forwards looking to where you front hand is pointing
Once on the rail, keep your weight even over your bindings and your knees bent. It's kind of hard to explain, but try and keep your weight "flat" on the board, as in the board flat on the rail, without shifting your weight to either toe or heel edge.

I find frontside lipslides easier than backside boards. It's the same trick positioning, except you have more time to feel out your balance and find the balance point to lock in on the rail when you air on to it as you rotate your legs into boardslide position.
[close]

thanks to you and some other friends helping me lock in my body positioning, I landed a few on a rainbow box the other day. trying to clean it up and go for more speed today. much love bro
[close]

Hell yeah! Next, take it to a flat-down rail. These are great to practice on because you can just ride on 5050 on the flat, and then when the rail goes to down, you just pivot to boardslide and your momentum carries you, so you can really get the feel of a proper locked in boardslide. You just have to remember to lean way forwards on the down, and your arms should match the angle of the rail.

Stoked for you my dude!

I love flat to down rails, especially when you can gap the flat. Can't do down to flat anymore, threw my back out twice on em and that was that.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #692 on: January 26, 2023, 08:47:50 AM »

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #693 on: January 27, 2023, 02:07:13 PM »
Post some of your riding pics everyone. I want to see the crew flowing!

Or post some pics of your set ups, or fits!

Whats everyone riding? What kind of camber do you prefer?

Anyone tried those new Burton step on bindings, or those new Nidecker click ins?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 02:14:50 PM by Ankle_Lift »

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #694 on: January 27, 2023, 06:35:42 PM »

Anyone tried those new Burton step on bindings, or those new Nidecker click ins?

I've got a 2007 Rome Agent that I bought used in high school.  I bought new Union Strata bindings and an old pair of Burton Boots.  My snowpants are from high school as well.  I'll probably swap the boots out next year.

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #695 on: January 27, 2023, 10:58:18 PM »

I’ve been running the Burton step on with a pair of DC judge boots. Took a bit of getting used to the interface but now it’s all good. I’m no longer charging in my old age so it’s a good setup for me.

Waxed 9 sets of skis today in the workshop. Didn’t want the business as I’m stuck here in summer and they’re all heading to Japan and Canada but figured it’s easy money

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #696 on: January 28, 2023, 02:48:44 AM »
My favorite are the pre-UAE-made camber Rome MODs, I have a few.
Rome bindings. TM2 32s.
Also have a Trapper Poacher that I like.

As for riding…. From last year

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cij-jZoJNNe/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #697 on: January 28, 2023, 05:28:51 PM »

I'll probably swap the boots out next year.

Don't overlook checking Facebook marketplace or craigslist or whatever for new boots. There's a lot of people out there that try snowboarding a few times and just don't like it and end up selling their gear cheap online.

I’ve been running the Burton step on with a pair of DC judge boots. Took a bit of getting used to the interface but now it’s all good. I’m no longer charging in my old age so it’s a good setup for me.

Waxed 9 sets of skis today in the workshop. Didn’t want the business as I’m stuck here in summer and they’re all heading to Japan and Canada but figured it’s easy money

I didn't think you could use anything other than Burton step on boots with those new bindings?
How do you like them? Any issues locking in while in powder?
I want to eventually try a pair of Flow bindings.

What's the business your running? Boardshop?
I feel you on the age thing. I went up today without my wife, and it was a powder day. I love riding with her, but she's not the fastest rider, so I rode rode alone and ride fast and hard, and I am sore.

Rome bindings. TM2 32s.

Nice vid! Looks nice where you ride, lots of hips and shit! Have you ridden any of the boards since they moved production to UAE? Decline in quality?

Trapper snowboards are legit. Support the little guys!!

Dad_Brains

« Reply #698 on: January 28, 2023, 08:57:13 PM »
Expand Quote

I'll probably swap the boots out next year.
[close]

Don't overlook checking Facebook marketplace or craigslist or whatever for new boots. There's a lot of people out there that try snowboarding a few times and just don't like it and end up selling their gear cheap online.

Expand Quote

[close]

I didn't think you could use anything other than Burton step on boots with those new bindings?
How do you like them? Any issues locking in while in powder?
I want to eventually try a pair of Flow bindings.

What's the business your running? Boardshop?
I feel you on the age thing. I went up today without my wife, and it was a powder day. I love riding with her, but she's not the fastest rider, so I rode rode alone and ride fast and hard, and I am sore.

Expand Quote
Rome bindings. TM2 32s.

[close]

Nice vid! Looks nice where you ride, lots of hips and shit! Have you ridden any of the boards since they moved production to UAE? Decline in quality?

Yeah DC bought into the patent I believe and are the only other company that can make boots using the system. I got the top of the range boots that are the stiffest just in case the system was a bit loose but they’re dialled in solid. Haven’t used them in any significant pow yet but just like a regular setup, you still gotta make sure the bottom of the boot and the footbed are clear. I’d say stay clear of flow, they’ll kill your feet. The new nidecker looks interesting and it would’ve been a hard choice between that and the step on if it was out when I got them

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #699 on: January 29, 2023, 02:55:24 AM »

Expand Quote
Rome bindings. TM2 32s.

[close]

I ride in Hakuba, Japan.

As for the new MODs, no. Many of my friends have, and consistently tell me that the boards are completely different now. They used to be an amazing blend of poppy and carvy, but now feel like ‘rental boards’ (with a LOT more warranty problems)

And yeah, I like what Trapper is doing.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #700 on: January 29, 2023, 08:45:27 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoAgffpDfop/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Happy to see this X Games clown shit getting called out by lots of legends and current riders. Give me Selema, Craig Mcmorris and have some legends who love snowboarding talk about it instead of Snowboard_Jesus and Stoney McBlazed
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #701 on: January 30, 2023, 03:06:57 PM »
Snowfall here on the US east coast is like the worst it’s been in years :(

I haven’t gotten on the hill once yet

But I just got invited to visit a friend at his parents house near Powder Mountain (Utah). Anyone been there? What should I expect? It looks like they have a huge amount of backcountry/sidecountry and Cat tours and shit. I have never experienced anything like that being from the east coast. Is it foolish to think I could step to any of that shit?

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #702 on: January 30, 2023, 05:27:48 PM »

But I just got invited to visit a friend at his parents house near Powder Mountain (Utah). Anyone been there? What should I expect? It looks like they have a huge amount of backcountry/sidecountry and Cat tours and shit. I have never experienced anything like that being from the east coast. Is it foolish to think I could step to any of that shit?

If you've never ridden deep pow before, it would be kind of a waste of money to rent a car tour.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 05:43:49 PM by Ankle_Lift »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #703 on: January 30, 2023, 06:19:27 PM »

It could also turn out to be the trip of a lifetime.

POW IS THE REASON.

If you are competent at ice and hard stuff, pow is not nearly as intimidating. But it’s tricky. If you fall, it can be a 10-minute struggle to get back up on your feet.

You can make it easy by renting or buying a pow-specific board. It will make the learning curve much, much easier. And won’t tire you out as much as s regular board will.

And if your friends really are friends, they won’t just throw you into a super-steep section.

Cat operations have beginner terrain that will help you get used to it, because seriously, 90% of snowboarding is what you do when you are waiting for pow.

I say go for it. Take it easy at first, learn how to float and keep your speed. Then explore.

Dad_Brains

« Reply #704 on: January 30, 2023, 10:51:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It could also turn out to be the trip of a lifetime.

POW IS THE REASON.

If you are competent at ice and hard stuff, pow is not nearly as intimidating. But it’s tricky. If you fall, it can be a 10-minute struggle to get back up on your feet.

You can make it easy by renting or buying a pow-specific board. It will make the learning curve much, much easier. And won’t tire you out as much as s regular board will.

And if your friends really are friends, they won’t just throw you into a super-steep section.

Cat operations have beginner terrain that will help you get used to it, because seriously, 90% of snowboarding is what you do when you are waiting for pow.

I say go for it. Take it easy at first, learn how to float and keep your speed. Then explore.

Check out powderhounds instagram for how good powder mountain is looking right now

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoDirUhB8Af/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #705 on: January 31, 2023, 05:44:59 AM »
holy shit that looks crazy

i've only ridden deep powder a few times in my life, usually on trips to lake placid or killington. i was riding a full camber freestyle board with centered stance and 0° binding angles at the time, getting stuck like a motherfucker (i was a kid and didn't know any better)

now i'm on a gnu rider's choice with a hybrid rocker shape; if i set my stance back a bit will something like that work for pow days? i'm definitely interested in making my life as easy as possible and i might be just insane enough to buy a pow board if it would make a serious difference. getting stuck in deep stuff when you want to be cruising thru it is a horrible experience lol

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #706 on: January 31, 2023, 05:59:46 AM »
holy shit that looks crazy

i've only ridden deep powder a few times in my life, usually on trips to lake placid or killington. i was riding a full camber freestyle board with centered stance and 0° binding angles at the time, getting stuck like a motherfucker (i was a kid and didn't know any better)

now i'm on a gnu rider's choice with a hybrid rocker shape; if i set my stance back a bit will something like that work for pow days? i'm definitely interested in making my life as easy as possible and i might be just insane enough to buy a pow board if it would make a serious difference. getting stuck in deep stuff when you want to be cruising thru it is a horrible experience lol

If it’s a full-on powder day just do yourself a favor and rent a full-on powder cannon. It will let you ride more easily, for a longer time, and max out your experience.

Unless you are experienced and are only doing really steep fall-line stuff (where you go fast enough to plane off and don’t necessarily need a special board), a pow board will make a huge difference to the quality of your day

steezenking

• Rep: 12
« Reply #707 on: January 31, 2023, 06:30:47 AM »
Went snowboarding for the first time, had tons of fun. Guess I need to buy a snowboard now.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #708 on: February 01, 2023, 01:29:33 PM »
We hit 300" before February 1st. Definitely a big milestone, especially when last season we didn't even hit 275" total (ending april 10th) Ive rode 40 days so far this season on the resort, and about 10 in the backcountry .

We have a 115" base at the summit, the deepest in resort history. Just had 56" over the last 7 days at the summit, so I was riding everyday from Jan 25th - 30th and it got deeper everyday .

Really hoping the storm train continues and we can get a 400" + season in the books, The summit is close at 359" total and Mid Mtn at 312" , We haven't had a 400" season since 2010/11, but if we continue at this rate, its possible we beat our record season of 07/08 at 489"

It's wild around town though, snow removal is becoming really tough for everyone , the snow berms are almost 7-8ft high on the sides of the roads, in parking lots they are pushing 15-20ft , its hard to see around the snow pulling out onto streets, or on roundabouts. You can't see the building where I work anymore from the road, so probably not the best for business.

clip from Jan 19th , nice and deep out there!

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #709 on: February 01, 2023, 02:38:24 PM »
FUCK

Meanwhile NYC has the lowest annual snowfall since the 1880s this year

Spacenoid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #710 on: February 01, 2023, 04:35:35 PM »
I try to stick up for the East Coast, but it's been a miserable season lol. Only good thing is I'm pushing myself in the park, because that's the only thing to ride that doesn't bore me...I've exhausted the backside of my local mountain lol

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #711 on: February 02, 2023, 12:22:31 AM »
Fuck, that sounds amazing, snow chaos and all @lukabrazi

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #712 on: February 02, 2023, 12:47:20 AM »
Fuck, that sounds amazing, snow chaos and all @Lukabrazi

yup looks incredible. jealous here.   :-X
speaking of powder.........new Travis Rice vid is amazing. the riding and cinematography. helmet cam view straight terrifiying at times....flying down the mountain with so much speed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Ue4MDtez8

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #713 on: February 05, 2023, 07:05:02 PM »
I try to stick up for the East Coast, but it's been a miserable season lol. Only good thing is I'm pushing myself in the park, because that's the only thing to ride that doesn't bore me...I've exhausted the backside of my local mountain lol

Working on anything in the park?
I want to try bs180 air on to 5050 in to a rail, but besides being scared to try, there is absolutely no way I'm trying on anything other than a nice long flat rail or a box first. Like there is no way I'm going try on a single barrel first, and the majority of the park here is these weird big single barrels. They suck. I can't lock into them and none of the boxes are higher than ground level so it's hard to get the bs180 pop right.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #714 on: February 06, 2023, 05:02:36 PM »
Off topic/on topic: Skiing…

My local skatepark is on a university campus and I talk to a lot of students….a lot of kids now ski and skate….they don’t snowboard….I think that’s kinda weird but don’t judge, they are good kids…..I saw that Una skis and think it’s rad she grew up on it too…but….maybe it was one too many gondola rides in Whistler but I was listening to an interview with Suciu and he was asked what he did the year after winning SOTY……

‘I skied a lot…..’

I knew it…..the education….the nauseating perfection….that smug face……of course he skis…..

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #715 on: February 06, 2023, 10:37:37 PM »
I’m not proud of it, but due to my instructing job having less snowboard clients than skiers, I got my ski instructor’s L1 license a few years back and I just dropped a fuckwad of cash on new skis this season.

I grew up skiing from 2 years old, but quit at 13 when I discovered snowboarding. I stayed away from it for about 30 years, only to strap skis on once every couple years to remind myself why I quit.

But last season I wanted to piss my ski instructor boss off (she’s a bit competitive) and she just learned to do 360s. So I rented freestyle skis at the end of last season, marched to the park, and learned them 2nd try on a tiny kicker, thus showing my boss skiing is easy (haha) , as well as fulfilling my childhood dream of doing a ‘helicopter’.

And I actually had fun that day. So I decided that if I have to ski, I’ll get skis that make it as  unlame as possible.

So I got some carvy twin-tips and now when I teach my daughter or have some free time after a lesson I learn how to ski backwards and get sideways on a box.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 02:10:35 AM by cucktard »

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #716 on: February 07, 2023, 10:11:33 PM »

Recently spent a night car camping in Tahoe (because who wants to pay $200+ for 8 hours of sleep) in a heavy storm and woke up to the sound of a plow clearing the parking lot I was posted up in. Got to the resort at 5:30am, just after the first plow put one drive-able path through the parking lot. There was about 15-18" / 38-45 cm of new snow on the ground and nowhere to park, so I had to drive around the block and catch more sleep in front of an apartment complex.

I got back to the resort around 7 and rode inbounds all day in and out of storm bands. By the end of the day I was exhausted and tiger balm for back pain was in full effect.

Note: If it's a weekend, look for lifts with limited parking, and access that requires a big traverse from other parts of the mountain. Gotta avoid those lines somehow.

Avalanche risk that particular day was a 4 (high), so the slack / back country was off limits to me. Some people recently got caught in an avalanche on a 3 (moderate) risk day at this mountain in a back country zone I have heard tales of for years. They had to get helicoptered out. Scary shit.

Not the zone I'm talking about above, but nearby where Caltrans sets off bombs:

The next day, early in the morning I could see some snow covered tracks in the backcountry zone I would be riding and realized people went for it on the high risk day. Glad they made it out. The risk had dropped to a 3 and this particular zone is well known for being stable.

I ended up riding it all day and got greedy on the final run. Skipped the known easy exit, chased untouched powder, and ended up in a flat area that I hadn't been to in years. Normally it's a 10-20 minute hike out when the snow is ankle deep, but this time it was a 45 minute slog through knee to occasional wind blown waist deep patches. I incorrectly assumed the lower elevation snow would have been stiffer after settling. Nope, temps stayed below freezing. Whoops.

My risk awareness for that day was too focused on avalanches and tree wells when it should have been on energy conservation. Taking a chance on a new line on the final leg of the final run of the day, when I knew I was tired was a bad idea.

I ride with emergency sleeping bag and tent, but I don't ever want to have to use them. The thought of "if any animal decides to attack me right now, it'd be tough to put up a good fight" definitely ran through my head.

Years ago, some experienced backcountry riders hit this particular zone after a 3 foot dump and they seemed pretty shook when they talked about getting caught in a deep flat area. They told me if they didn't have their split boards that day, they would have struggled for hours to boot pack out.

Anyways, happy shredding. Ride with extra food and water. Ya never know when ya might need it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 07:01:05 AM by tkp »

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #717 on: February 08, 2023, 03:16:39 PM »

I was super lucky to get this board for free from a homie that works at ride.

I really like the foam “rails” as a stomp pad too

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #718 on: February 08, 2023, 08:06:59 PM »

Recently spent a night car camping in Tahoe (because who wants to pay $200+ for 8 hours of sleep) in a heavy storm and woke up to the sound of a plow clearing the parking lot I was posted up in. Got to the resort at 5:30am, just after the first plow put one drive-able path through the parking lot. There was about 15-18" / 38-45 cm of new snow on the ground and nowhere to park, so I had to drive around the block and catch more sleep in front of an apartment complex.

I got back to the resort around 7 and rode inbounds all day in and out of storm bands. By the end of the day I was exhausted and tiger balm for back pain was in full effect.

Note: If it's a weekend, look for lifts with limited parking, and access that requires a big traverse from other parts of the mountain. Gotta avoid those lines somehow.

Avalanche risk that particular day was a 4 (high), so the slack / back country was off limits to me. Some people recently got caught in an avalanche on a 3 (moderate) risk day at this mountain in a back country zone I have heard tales of for years. They had to get helicoptered out. Scary shit.

The next day, early in the morning I could see some snow covered tracks in the backcountry zone I would be riding and realized people went for it on the high risk day. Glad they made it out. The risk had dropped to a 3 and this particular zone is well known for being stable.

I ended up riding it all day and got greedy on the final run. Skipped the known easy exit, chased untouched powder, and ended up in a flat area that I hadn't been to in years. Normally it's a 10-20 minute hike out when the snow is ankle deep, but this time it was a 45 minute slog through knee to occasional wind blown waist deep patches. I incorrectly assumed the lower elevation snow would have been stiffer after settling. Nope, temps stayed below freezing. Whoops.

My risk awareness for that day was too focused on avalanches and tree wells when it should have been on energy conservation. Taking a chance on a new line on the final leg of the final run of the day, when I knew I was tired was a bad idea.

I ride with emergency sleeping bag and tent, but I don't ever want to have to use them. The thought of "if any animal decides to attack me right now, it'd be tough to put up a good fight" definitely ran through my head.

Years ago, some experienced backcountry riders hit this particular zone after a 3 foot dump and they seemed pretty shook when they talked about getting caught in a deep flat area. They told me if they didn't have their split boards that day, they would have struggled for hours to boot pack out.

Anyways, happy shredding. Ride with extra food and water. Ya never know when ya might need it.

10/10!

That last photo... What happened  if they got caught in flat like they did? 3 feet is a helluva lot of snow, but in that case you'd think they'd be keeping their speed up the entire time anyway?
Lapse in judgement not reading the terrain chasing turns, or not scoping the lines out before hand? Misjudgded a muster point location?

Shit happens, getting stuck in flat is the worst.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #719 on: February 09, 2023, 11:29:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

10/10!

That last photo... What happened  if they got caught in flat like they did? 3 feet is a helluva lot of snow, but in that case you'd think they'd be keeping their speed up the entire time anyway?
Lapse in judgement not reading the terrain chasing turns, or not scoping the lines out before hand? Misjudgded a muster point location?

Shit happens, getting stuck in flat is the worst.

They rode into a zone where due to lack of steepness, the hike out was around 1.3miles / 2.1km. I'm assuming visibility was poor and they didn't scope out the line prior.

It's the unfortunate case with lift accessed back country, you can easily get up real high, which doesn't always give you the opportunity to scope out what you will end up riding on the way back down.