Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53909 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #720 on: February 09, 2023, 10:00:44 PM »
I went to Whistler….hit the kiddy park while my wife ski’d….

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #721 on: February 10, 2023, 12:43:41 PM »
I highly suggest downloading FATMAP app for anyone traveling in side country, backcountry or any avalanche terrain . You can see flat sections, slope aspect / angle , and there is some pretty high def imagery for popular areas that show trees , cliffs , rocks etc . You can download the maps onto your phone prior to going so you can see your location on GPS in real time .

This can make or break you getting cliffed out, in an avalanche or being in a zone you don’t know and want to see the best egress route back to a resort or area .

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #722 on: February 10, 2023, 12:47:23 PM »

A few slashes in some legit cold smoke pow from yesterday .
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 12:54:48 PM by Lukabrazi »

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #723 on: February 11, 2023, 04:33:52 PM »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #724 on: February 12, 2023, 08:49:53 AM »
Went Brewcing up  Hood for the first time in 3 years. Just spent the day carving up the groomers. I always forget how fast you can get cooking on a snowboard. My thighs are wrecked.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #725 on: February 14, 2023, 06:24:59 AM »
I’ve been up at the hill almost every day, but it’s been 90% teaching, and another 7% teaching my daughter.

I have 3 hours in the morning tomorrow to myself. Looking forward to it, assuming I remember what snowboarding is like off the bunny hill.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #726 on: February 15, 2023, 05:57:10 PM »
I taught my brother the other day, that was special. He struggled a little bit but he was getting down the bunny hill without falling by the end of the day and he had fun. I bought him everything but boots, bindings and a board for Christmas so we can go again soon

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #727 on: February 16, 2023, 12:57:33 PM »
Just got my first snowboard and all necessary gear. Excited to finally start. Had one day on the bunny hill few weeks ago with rented board and was super fun. Better late than never

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #728 on: February 18, 2023, 04:53:10 PM »
I finally backup my old hard drive. I found this old photo on it. This is I think from 2011. FS shifty mute.

I like framing of it.

MC3

• Rep: 127
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #729 on: February 18, 2023, 06:51:09 PM »
tried to 5050 a flat down last night 50'd the first part and then accidentally rotated frontside into lipslide. didn't zeach, somehow came out fakie and rode away clean and that is by far the greatest accidental thing ive ever done. I can barely back board ollie on rails without 30mins of me psyching myself up....
(Cool Trick GIF)

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #730 on: February 19, 2023, 02:04:36 PM »
tried to 5050 a flat down last night 50'd the first part and then accidentally rotated frontside into lipslide. didn't zeach, somehow came out fakie and rode away clean and that is by far the greatest accidental thing ive ever done. I can barely back board ollie on rails without 30mins of me psyching myself up....
Haha I did the exact same thing precisely once in my life, it was an incredible feeling and I’ll probdbly never do it again

In other news, I’ll be at Pow Mow in 15 days and they’re currently getting snow like every damn day

I went full maniac mode and bought a pow board— spring break powder racer 154, a 2020 model on sale for like 50% off

One of the dumbest things I’ve done in a while potentially but fuck it, i finally have a “real” job after years of being a dirtbag

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #731 on: February 20, 2023, 03:59:03 AM »
I'm at dolomite superski through saturday, if anyone wants to link up lmk. I am in st ulrich today but idk what's good here, any tips?

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #732 on: February 20, 2023, 07:16:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Haha I did the exact same thing precisely once in my life, it was an incredible feeling and I’ll probdbly never do it again

In other news, I’ll be at Pow Mow in 15 days and they’re currently getting snow like every damn day

I went full maniac mode and bought a pow board— spring break powder racer 154, a 2020 model on sale for like 50% off

One of the dumbest things I’ve done in a while potentially but fuck it, i finally have a “real” job after years of being a dirtbag

Fuck that dude, the board looks sick. Floating and carving is the shit, and that thing looks like it's gonna excel in both of those.

231st Street

• Rep: -192
« Reply #733 on: February 20, 2023, 09:38:59 AM »
Took the family to Bromley last week.  Great stuff.  Back killing me now, but was worth it.  Definitely refreshing for the kids.  Staying for a week in Manchester, VT.  Also skated the park there which is under construction but going to be awesome (Already was really fun). 

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -33
« Reply #734 on: February 20, 2023, 10:46:46 AM »
Did a heli day up in Alaska on 2/9 with Chugach Powder Guides. Blue bird, knee deep pow, 2 homies. It was something I'll never forget.

12-18" snow coming our way this week in the midwest, Afton Alps is going to get some!

231st Street

• Rep: -192
« Reply #735 on: February 20, 2023, 01:16:00 PM »
Did a heli day up in Alaska on 2/9 with Chugach Powder Guides. Blue bird, knee deep pow, 2 homies. It was something I'll never forget.

12-18" snow coming our way this week in the midwest, Afton Alps is going to get some!

That is gnarly!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #736 on: February 20, 2023, 10:26:08 PM »
I’d be too scared to do that…..I’m sure it was something you’ll never forget…

Skibb

• Rep: 68
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #737 on: February 23, 2023, 04:38:07 AM »
Will be heading to the north of Sweden in a month, and there is possibility for heli if the conditions allow it. Pretty damn pumped.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #738 on: February 23, 2023, 08:14:50 AM »
I went to Whistler….hit the kiddy park while my wife ski’d….

Nice! I’m going at the end of March and looking forward to it, I went like 17 years ago and remember what a beautiful drive it was from Vancouver.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #739 on: February 24, 2023, 08:28:49 AM »
I did my yearly trip to the local hill yesterday, and I’ve got questions:  what is the snowboard push called? Fakie piss? Jazz swongo?  Does anyone else feel like having their heels locked down puts stress where you never feel it skating?

JoseCansnake0

« Reply #740 on: February 24, 2023, 11:00:35 AM »
Whatever it's called, I hate it. I usually unstrap and just walk.

I run loose boots, and have found myself not "wrenching" down my bindings as hard either. It's not supposed to hurt, if it does, you're doing it wrong, or have the wrong gear.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #741 on: February 24, 2023, 11:57:24 AM »
Whatever it's called, I hate it. I usually unstrap and just walk.

I run loose boots, and have found myself not "wrenching" down my bindings as hard either. It's not supposed to hurt, if it does, you're doing it wrong, or have the wrong gear.

Probably the wrong gear. I’m was renting, and I feel like I got an 8.5 with tight venture lows on 52mm when I want a shaped 10 with loose Indy’s or Ace’s & 60s.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #742 on: February 24, 2023, 02:28:14 PM »
I did my yearly trip to the local hill yesterday, and I’ve got questions:  what is the snowboard push called? Fakie piss? Jazz swongo?  Does anyone else feel like having their heels locked down puts stress where you never feel it skating?

It hurts because you have to push super pigeon-toed, if you’re pushing on your toe edge.

Pushing behind you, on the heel edge is much more comfortable

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #743 on: February 24, 2023, 03:38:47 PM »
Yeah, always push behind the heel side edge.

I’m gonna get on the slopes for the first time this season tomorrow. A little warmup before I head to Utah. It’s finally cold, at least for the moment. There should be at least a dusting of new snow.

Edit to add a question: how do you all like to set your stance? I did 0° / 0° centered throughout my teens and 20s, because I thought I needed to ride switch and do a lot of 180s. A few seasons ago I started doing like 15° front / 0° back, still centered. I haven’t really played with it very much.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 08:16:08 PM by mj23 »

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #744 on: February 25, 2023, 10:36:43 PM »

I’m gonna get on the slopes for the first time this season tomorrow. A little warmup before I head to Utah. It’s finally cold, at least for the moment. There should be at least a dusting of new snow.

Edit to add a question: how do you all like to set your stance? I did 0° / 0° centered throughout my teens and 20s, because I thought I needed to ride switch and do a lot of 180s. A few seasons ago I started doing like 15° front / 0° back, still centered. I haven’t really played with it very much.

I only ride twin boards, so centered stance, as wide as possible. 18° front foot, -27° back foot.
I used to ride 0°/0° as well when I was a teenager, but that was just because that's just how the first board I got was set up and I didn't know you could change it.
Do you ever get leg pain in your back leg on other either side of your shin while you're riding from the 0° angle?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #745 on: February 26, 2023, 02:20:22 AM »
Stance angles have been changing over the ages. And as we age.

Lots of younger kids are riding fairly low stance angles, like +12/0.

I used to roll with +15/-15 for most of my years, but recently I’ve been experimenting with +18/-9 as I’m trying to clean up my heelside turns and want to be a touch more directional.

I’ve never dreamed of 0/0, or more angle on my rear binding than my front, both seem a bit extreme to me

JoseCansnake0

« Reply #746 on: February 26, 2023, 03:34:28 AM »
Stance angles have been changing over the ages. And as we age.

Lots of younger kids are riding fairly low stance angles, like +12/0.

I used to roll with +15/-15 for most of my years, but recently I’ve been experimenting with +18/-9 as I’m trying to clean up my heelside turns and want to be a touch more directional.

I’ve never dreamed of 0/0, or more angle on my rear binding than my front, both seem a bit extreme to me

+12/-12 has served me well for all mountain, park, and switch

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #747 on: February 26, 2023, 07:18:31 AM »
Big system hit all of BC last night. Powder day today boys! Yeeewwww!

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #748 on: February 26, 2023, 01:11:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I only ride twin boards, so centered stance, as wide as possible. 18° front foot, -27° back foot.
I used to ride 0°/0° as well when I was a teenager, but that was just because that's just how the first board I got was set up and I didn't know you could change it.
Do you ever get leg pain in your back leg on other either side of your shin while you're riding from the 0° angle?
No, I haven’t really had any issues with leg pain in the rear leg. Today after my first session of the year I have some muscle soreness in both of my shins, but it isn’t anything abnormal for a season-opening day

If I have any complaints it would be that I get some neck/shoulder pain from being locked in and turned forward… but I’m not sure how to do anything about that besides stretching and strengthening. It’s something that has only become an issue that I notice in my 30s.

I guess because I rode snow less often than I surf or skate, I have not thought quite as deeply about optimizing my snowboard setup as I have with other activities.

But yesterday I was kinda tripping out thinking about how to approximate the short wheelbase/wide board/loose truck feeling that I enjoy on a skateboard. It kinda carries over into my surfing as well: I like to ride wide stubby boards. Something about having relatively short legs in relation to my overall height maybe.

I’m wondering if a narrower stance and a wider board would be functional for my snowboarding as well. But the importance of edge-to-edge transition is a bit different on snow.

Is there a good forum where people geek out over this shit for snowboards?

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #749 on: February 26, 2023, 04:43:39 PM »
Rode fresh powder for the first time today, man that was sick. I also feel like i hit my stride and felt really comfortable on the board today. the side hits are really fun, there was some fun transition leading out of some pump track type shit, that was wild.