Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53409 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #750 on: February 26, 2023, 05:15:16 PM »
Rode fresh powder for the first time today, man that was sick. I also feel like i hit my stride and felt really comfortable on the board today. the side hits are really fun, there was some fun transition leading out of some pump track type shit, that was wild.

Powder is the reason.

Glad you got to experience it
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #751 on: February 26, 2023, 05:50:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yeah, always push behind the heel side edge.

I’m gonna get on the slopes for the first time this season tomorrow. A little warmup before I head to Utah. It’s finally cold, at least for the moment. There should be at least a dusting of new snow.

Edit to add a question: how do you all like to set your stance? I did 0° / 0° centered throughout my teens and 20s, because I thought I needed to ride switch and do a lot of 180s. A few seasons ago I started doing like 15° front / 0° back, still centered. I haven’t really played with it very much.
[close]

I only ride twin boards, so centered stance, as wide as possible. 18° front foot, -27° back foot.
I used to ride 0°/0° as well when I was a teenager, but that was just because that's just how the first board I got was set up and I didn't know you could change it.
Do you ever get leg pain in your back leg on other either side of your shin while you're riding from the 0° angle?
[close]
No, I haven’t really had any issues with leg pain in the rear leg. Today after my first session of the year I have some muscle soreness in both of my shins, but it isn’t anything abnormal for a season-opening day

If I have any complaints it would be that I get some neck/shoulder pain from being locked in and turned forward… but I’m not sure how to do anything about that besides stretching and strengthening. It’s something that has only become an issue that I notice in my 30s.

I guess because I rode snow less often than I surf or skate, I have not thought quite as deeply about optimizing my snowboard setup as I have with other activities.

But yesterday I was kinda tripping out thinking about how to approximate the short wheelbase/wide board/loose truck feeling that I enjoy on a skateboard. It kinda carries over into my surfing as well: I like to ride wide stubby boards. Something about having relatively short legs in relation to my overall height maybe.

I’m wondering if a narrower stance and a wider board would be functional for my snowboarding as well. But the importance of edge-to-edge transition is a bit different on snow.[b/]

Is there a good forum where people geek out over this shit for snowboards?

If you're looking for a more surfy feel, buy a new board with a hybrid rocker, which is rocker between the feet, and camber under the feet.
This is kind of new like past 10 years maybe, and gives you hella surfy and loose feeling with this type of camber, but it is still steady at high speeds. With this hybrid rocker, you can ride a shorter board than you normally think you could. The board feels way lighter and more like a loose truck skate then any other type of rocker I've tried, but I have also never tried the full rocker "banana rocker" that Lib Tech is somewhat famous for.

Also, NOW binding brand developed a binding with a kingpin in them, kind of like in the base of the binding at the bottom of your foot, so it rocks back and forth as you turn from toe to heel. It's hard to explain but you could check out their website.
I've never tried them but I really want to. I'll bet those have a good surfy feel to them.

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #752 on: February 26, 2023, 07:48:36 PM »
I'm on some authority the 'cool' park kids are basically riding neutral zero both feet for stances these days. I'm 24 and I feel old with these kids tho...

I picked up a Salomon Dancehaul last summer for cheap, and now I've basically ridden it in all conditions. Super in love with it. Playful enough in the park for what I do, and carves/handles deeper stuff for when I get the chance to ride it. Next year when the honeymoon period is officially over I'll report back
(Cool Trick GIF)

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #753 on: February 26, 2023, 07:59:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I’m gonna get on the slopes for the first time this season tomorrow. A little warmup before I head to Utah. It’s finally cold, at least for the moment. There should be at least a dusting of new snow.

Edit to add a question: how do you all like to set your stance? I did 0° / 0° centered throughout my teens and 20s, because I thought I needed to ride switch and do a lot of 180s. A few seasons ago I started doing like 15° front / 0° back, still centered. I haven’t really played with it very much.
[close]

I only ride twin boards, so centered stance, as wide as possible. 18° front foot, -27° back foot.
I used to ride 0°/0° as well when I was a teenager, but that was just because that's just how the first board I got was set up and I didn't know you could change it.
Do you ever get leg pain in your back leg on other either side of your shin while you're riding from the 0° angle?
[close]
No, I haven’t really had any issues with leg pain in the rear leg. Today after my first session of the year I have some muscle soreness in both of my shins, but it isn’t anything abnormal for a season-opening day

If I have any complaints it would be that I get some neck/shoulder pain from being locked in and turned forward… but I’m not sure how to do anything about that besides stretching and strengthening. It’s something that has only become an issue that I notice in my 30s.

I guess because I rode snow less often than I surf or skate, I have not thought quite as deeply about optimizing my snowboard setup as I have with other activities.

But yesterday I was kinda tripping out thinking about how to approximate the short wheelbase/wide board/loose truck feeling that I enjoy on a skateboard. It kinda carries over into my surfing as well: I like to ride wide stubby boards. Something about having relatively short legs in relation to my overall height maybe.

I’m wondering if a narrower stance and a wider board would be functional for my snowboarding as well. But the importance of edge-to-edge transition is a bit different on snow.

Yeah there is and it’s a bit cleaner than around here…

https://www.snowboardingforum.com/

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #754 on: February 26, 2023, 11:10:15 PM »
Anyone out here still shredding after an acl tear or similar? I’ve seen a lot of friends completely quit all sports after similar knee injuries, but deep down inside I kind of just know the skills are still there. Thoughts of reinjury are on my mind, and I now carry the burden of knowing what the results of injury are. 

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #755 on: February 27, 2023, 12:24:30 AM »
Did a heli day up in Alaska on 2/9 with Chugach Powder Guides. Blue bird, knee deep pow, 2 homies. It was something I'll never forget.

12-18" snow coming our way this week in the midwest, Afton Alps is going to get some!

that's some bucket list shit! I've been dreaming of doing some heliskiing for years, but it's illegal in France...resorts close to the swiss and italian borders offer it though, so maybe some day!

for those who wonder about stance:

https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/set-up-maintenance/pro-snowboarder-stances-binding-angles.html

I rock the "Terje" stance.....Like +18 on the front and +3 on the back   8)
Also I back the hybrid rocker/camber thing fully! I have a Salomon Assassin and that thing is so playful, I love it. It's already 6 years old though so I'm thinking of maybe replacing it next year....with the exact same model!

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #756 on: February 27, 2023, 12:38:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Did a heli day up in Alaska on 2/9 with Chugach Powder Guides. Blue bird, knee deep pow, 2 homies. It was something I'll never forget.

12-18" snow coming our way this week in the midwest, Afton Alps is going to get some!

[close]

that's some bucket list shit! I've been dreaming of doing some heliskiing for years, but it's illegal in France...resorts close to the swiss and italian borders offer it though, so maybe some day!

for those who wonder about stance:

https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/set-up-maintenance/pro-snowboarder-stances-binding-angles.html

I rock the "Terje" stance.....Like +18 on the front and +3 on the back   8)
Also I back the hybrid rocker/camber thing fully! I have a Salomon Assassin and that thing is so playful, I love it. It's already 6 years old though so I'm thinking of maybe replacing it next year....with the exact same model!

They should throw a column in there on the main type of riding they do. I know the majority of them so can pick where they ride the most. Certainly shows a consistent approach for different types of riding eg. big mountain riders rocking positive angles on both feet.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #757 on: February 27, 2023, 06:26:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m wondering if a narrower stance and a wider board would be functional for my snowboarding as well. But the importance of edge-to-edge transition is a bit different on snow.[b/]

[close]

If you're looking for a more surfy feel, buy a new board with a hybrid rocker, which is rocker between the feet, and camber under the feet.
This is kind of new like past 10 years maybe, and gives you hella surfy and loose feeling with this type of camber, but it is still steady at high speeds. With this hybrid rocker, you can ride a shorter board than you normally think you could. The board feels way lighter and more like a loose truck skate then any other type of rocker I've tried, but I have also never tried the full rocker "banana rocker" that Lib Tech is somewhat famous for.

Also, NOW binding brand developed a binding with a kingpin in them, kind of like in the base of the binding at the bottom of your foot, so it rocks back and forth as you turn from toe to heel. It's hard to explain but you could check out their website.
I've never tried them but I really want to. I'll bet those have a good surfy feel to them.
My main board is a gnu riders choice from 2016 or so, it has rocker between the feet and a very subtle flip of camber just outside the bindings; it definitely felt more forgiving and playful than my previous full-camber board (a Nitro MFM from like 2003). Lost some pop, but that’s ok, the old deck would honestly boost me higher than I wanted to go by accident half the time.

The gnu also has “magne-traction” (slight bump/serration along the edges) that helps grip in icy conditions. If anyone else is shopping for an east coast board I would definitely recommend something with similar features, any help at all is good on our death trap ice hills. I’d say it gives like 15% more grip on ice or so.

Pow Mow UT is getting 6” today and a dusting every day through my trip at the end of the week. Hope I can find some stashes that aren’t tracked out even a day or two after the main dump… planning to bring both the riders choice and the powder racer. Hopefully the powder racer is fun and functional in the mix of soft groomer/tracked out chunder/occasional pow that I am anticipating. Some reviews say it sucks in rutted out terrain but others say it’s surprisingly fun in all kinds of stuff. Can’t wait to find out

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #758 on: February 27, 2023, 06:42:23 AM »
After years of trying out all sorts of camber variations, I’m 90% back on regular ol’ camber. Nothing feels as good carving or as predictable in chop.

I have a Lib double dip that I use only on pow days. But all my other boards are camber to varying degrees.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #759 on: February 27, 2023, 10:18:20 AM »
I'm on some authority the 'cool' park kids are basically riding neutral zero both feet for stances these days. I'm 24 and I feel old with these kids tho...

Seriously am thinking of setting my board up this way this weekend.  Kinda dont like the cambered stance even though it helps with carving

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #760 on: March 08, 2023, 06:50:09 AM »
Hit the mid-season burn-out, worked too much and rode too little this season, and the season here in Japan has been wonky even for Global Warming era standards.

Lots of precip, but too much of it rain, and now it’s almost fucking 18 degrees Celsius at the beginning of March. That is May temperature.

So to rekindle some stoke I broke out the snowskates and have been having a blast on them in the slushy snow. They turn a boring green run into a fun and exciting blue or black. And basic park features become scary again.

They don’t have s long enough edge to make them practical on hard snow or ice, but in 10 cm of great or slush they are super fun. Highly recommend a bideck, especially if you’re local is kinda basic.

Terje rides them at his local in Norway to keep the difficulty up even when the mountain isn’t that challenging.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #761 on: March 08, 2023, 01:39:22 PM »
just got back from my weekend in utah... scored on the first day with knee-to-thigh deep pow accumulated over the course of the week and 4-5" falling over the course of the day. the powder racer floated like nobody's business and it was the most fun i've ever had in pow for sure. one of my buddies was on a crappy all-mountain rental that kept getting stuck in flat sections and sinking in pow; made me glad i had put the funds into getting proper equipment. nothing worse than going thru all the trouble to score and then having your gear hold you back.

there were still some fresh lines to be had the second day but we had to work a bit harder to hunt them down in tree runs and sidecountry. the ungroomed trails were pretty rutted out and the groomers were getting icy. in those conditions the powder racer was a bit too soft and rockered out to hold an edge effectively and i found myself getting bucked around or sliding out a bit.

now there are a few more storms on the horizon here on the east coast, finally, so hopefully i'll get a chance to redeem this season before it's all too late

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #762 on: March 09, 2023, 09:28:03 AM »
just got back from my weekend in utah... scored on the first day with knee-to-thigh deep pow accumulated over the course of the week and 4-5" falling over the course of the day. the powder racer floated like nobody's business and it was the most fun i've ever had in pow for sure. one of my buddies was on a crappy all-mountain rental that kept getting stuck in flat sections and sinking in pow; made me glad i had put the funds into getting proper equipment. nothing worse than going thru all the trouble to score and then having your gear hold you back.

there were still some fresh lines to be had the second day but we had to work a bit harder to hunt them down in tree runs and sidecountry. the ungroomed trails were pretty rutted out and the groomers were getting icy. in those conditions the powder racer was a bit too soft and rockered out to hold an edge effectively and i found myself getting bucked around or sliding out a bit.

now there are a few more storms on the horizon here on the east coast, finally, so hopefully i'll get a chance to redeem this season before it's all too late

Hell yeah dude! It's amazing what a powder board will do in the right conditions.

What resort did you hit, and how were lift lines?

I've got Brighton on my short list of places to ride

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #763 on: March 19, 2023, 02:09:41 PM »
Two-ish snowdays, a demo'd Ride Peace Seeker, and a couple lift tickets to Brighton have my spirits high right now. Fingers crossed
(Cool Trick GIF)

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #764 on: March 20, 2023, 04:21:39 PM »
The whole season on the main island of Japan has been at least a month ahead of schedule since January when we had our first rain (NEVER had rain before in January, usually the earliest is mid-February!) and now we have May temperatures. The tops of the highest hills have always manages to stay open until the first week in May, but this year looks iffy.

So yesterday was a bit cooler (only +8 C mid-mountain) so I headed to the park before it starts to cook later this week and it’s too hot and sloppy to keep your speed.

Was super rusty, but hit the big line for the first time in a couple years. The lack of snow means it’s not as big as normal, so more fun than scary.

But that might be it, might just be snowskating from here on out.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #765 on: March 21, 2023, 08:39:43 AM »
i got up to the catskills last week the day after 18" or so came down, it was the deepest day i caught out east in several years, and boy was it heavy compared to the utah pow a few weeks ago. i actually rode my freestyle board (gnu riders choice) thinking it would be super tracked out and icy but i got bogged down in a couple deep spots. the magnetraction really sticks in deep stuff, which is funny because i barely notice it at all normally, even in 6" or so of fresh.

now got my eyes on squeezing 2 or 3 more days in over the next week or two. i'm kinda racing to get my moneys worth out of the epic pass before the end of the season. i'm gonna be pissed if i don't make it worthwhile. don't want those fucks at vail resorts to make any more money on me than absolutely necessary.

along those lines, is anyone buying next year's passes right now? i'm thinking i might switch to Indy Pass. A lot of smaller mountains, but still some really good ones sprinkled around, and I think I'm ready to beat the crowds even if it means smaller hills. It's certainly cheaper.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #766 on: March 21, 2023, 10:05:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Rode fresh powder for the first time today, man that was sick. I also feel like i hit my stride and felt really comfortable on the board today. the side hits are really fun, there was some fun transition leading out of some pump track type shit, that was wild.
[close]

Powder is the reason.

Supposedly since snow is 90-95 percent air, riding on powder is like flying or floating. Kinda helps explain why it's addicting.

along those lines, is anyone buying next year's passes right now? i'm thinking i might switch to Indy Pass. A lot of smaller mountains, but still some really good ones sprinkled around, and I think I'm ready to beat the crowds even if it means smaller hills. It's certainly cheaper.

That's a cool looking pass. Small resorts usually equal small towns, which can also lead to some rad empty skateparks.

The Natural Selection Tour this year was at Revelstoke. I couldn't believe the way people were handling the terrain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pikqub_4laQ

I recently ended up at Kirkwood for a small storm where I assumed avalanche risk would be minimal. The forecasters had it marked as "moderate", which is a 2 out of 5, with 5 being extreme danger. There were a few days of sunshine prior to the storm, which caused the base pack to harden. The storm system that came through dropped 8-10" (20-25cm) of heavier moist snow (still fluffy enough for face shots) which created the perfect setup for long slides, even on low angle terrain less than 30 degrees.

Inbounds terrain:

Ski patrol ended up setting off the most bombs I've ever heard. At times it sounded like a warzone as the explosions ricocheted across the valley. Watching the slides happen in real time first thing in the morning was humbling. They looked like slow motion waterfalls of terror. Shout outs to ski patrollers. I crossed paths with a crew of them as they were headed up the mountain in the dark at 6:30am. That's an intense job.

It was my first bluebird day in a long time, the storm systems have been tricky to navigate around.

I noticed a gear failure as I was clipping into my bindings at the top of the mountain after doing a pretty big traverse / hike. I was still inbounds, but it would have been a 20-30 minute journey back to the lift to download on it. My toe strap was dangling on by a thread of plastic, so it was useless. I must have stepped on it at some point.

Riding with just an ankle strap would have been doable with caution. This season I started riding with two voile straps ( https://www.voile.com/nylon-buckle-straps.html ) in my backpack. The 20" (50.8 cm) one saved the day. I was able to loop it through the binding and create a somewhat toe strap replacement. I highly recommend riding with one or two. The 25" (63.5 cm) would work around the ankle as well. If the ankle strap would have gone out and I didn't have a voile strap, getting down would not be fun. Maybe a boot lace could have been used in a pinch.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 11:54:53 AM by tkp »

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #767 on: March 21, 2023, 10:06:31 AM »
Been curious about the specs on my board. Super new to snowboarding so all the terms are very foreign to me and I don’t know wtf I’m riding.

Homie who works at ride gave me this for free: https://ridesnowboards.com/en-us/ojo

Wondering what folks might know about the shape, or whatever? A couple friends have commented that it’s a good board to learn on, but this shape doesn’t really sell and they don’t make this frequently

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #768 on: March 21, 2023, 04:17:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Powder is the reason.

[close]

Supposedly since snow is 90-95 percent air, riding on powder is like flying or floating. Kinda helps explain why it's addicting.

Expand Quote
[close]

That's a cool looking pass. Small resorts usually equal small towns, which can also lead to some rad empty skateparks.

The Natural Selection Tour this year was at Revelstoke. I couldn't believe the way people were handling the terrain:

I recently ended up at Kirkwood for a small storm where I assumed avalanche risk would be minimal. The forecasters had it marked as "moderate", which is a 2 out of 5, with 5 being extreme danger. There were a few days of sunshine prior to the storm, which caused the base pack to harden. The storm system that came through dropped 8-10" (20-25cm) of heavier moist snow (still fluffy enough for face shots) which created the perfect setup for long slides, even on low angle terrain less than 30 degrees.

Inbounds terrain:

Ski patrol ended up setting off the most bombs I've ever heard. At times it sounded like a warzone as the explosions ricocheted across the valley. Watching the slides happen in real time first thing in the morning was humbling. They looked like slow motion waterfalls of terror. Shout outs to ski patrollers. I crossed paths with a crew of them as they were headed up the mountain in the dark at 6:30am. That's an intense job.

It was my first bluebird day in a long time, the storm systems have been tricky to navigate around.

I noticed a gear failure as I was clipping into my bindings at the top of the mountain after doing a pretty big traverse / hike. I was still inbounds, but it would have been a 20-30 minute journey back to the lift to download on it. My toe strap was dangling on by a thread of plastic, so it was useless. I must have stepped on it at some point.

Riding with just an ankle strap would have been doable with caution. This season I started riding with two voile straps ( https://www.voile.com/nylon-buckle-straps.html ) in my backpack. The 20" (50.8 cm) one saved the day. I was able to loop it through the binding and create a somewhat toe strap replacement. I highly recommend riding with one or two. The 25" (63.5 cm) would work around the ankle as well. If the ankle strap would have gone out and I didn't have a voile strap, getting down would not be fun. Maybe a boot lace could have been used in a pinch.

I hear Tahoe is dope right now, and that they might extend the season out late this year...

Thinking about heading up to Boreal

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #769 on: March 21, 2023, 05:38:54 PM »
Been curious about the specs on my board. Super new to snowboarding so all the terms are very foreign to me and I don’t know wtf I’m riding.

Homie who works at ride gave me this for free: https://ridesnowboards.com/en-us/ojo

Wondering what folks might know about the shape, or whatever? A couple friends have commented that it’s a good board to learn on, but this shape doesn’t really sell and they don’t make this frequently

The link didn't take me to an exact board, but I'm sure what you're riding is fully capable of your beginner status. Biggest issues I've seen are boards way too big or small for someone being an issue.

Dillon did pass away in 2018, so maybe thats the reason they aren't making it anymore. If its a twin board that is your size, keep practicing!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #770 on: March 21, 2023, 06:07:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Powder is the reason.

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Inbounds terrain:

How cold were those sunny days before the storm?
A sun crust could make it hard for the new snow to bond to it.
But if it was really cold, hoar frost could create a really weak layer that slides super easily.

Glad you had the straps in you.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #771 on: March 22, 2023, 02:01:22 AM »
Hopping on a bus in a couple of hours, heading around 1000 miles north through Sweden to mountain called Kittelfjäll. Kind of a freeriding-Mekka, a lot of ravines and forests. Hovering around -15C right now though, so it might get crispy.

@tkp Good riddance bringing with extra straps. Packed some in my bag after reading your post.

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #772 on: March 22, 2023, 06:36:55 AM »

Shape is fine, I am a fan of the more blunted tips gives it an old school look. it has pretty traditional camber which is what I would suggest for beginners. Have fun with it
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #773 on: March 24, 2023, 06:05:32 PM »
can i have it? 

I think it looks sick and I'm jealous.....

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #774 on: March 24, 2023, 07:56:31 PM »
How cold were those sunny days before the storm?
A sun crust could make it hard for the new snow to bond to it.
But if it was really cold, hoar frost could create a really weak layer that slides super easily.

Glad you had the straps in you.

For 4 days prior to the storm, the daily high was between 40-43 °F (4.4 - 6.1 °C) with a low of 13-18 °F (-10.5 - -7.7 °C). Freeze thaw conditions on tap.

I hear Tahoe is dope right now, and that they might extend the season out late this year...

Thinking about heading up to Boreal

It's been a wild season. My body is definitely feeling the affects of it.
A Boreal night session during a storm is on my bucket list. I've never ridden there..

Some mountains have extended their seasons:
Heavenly = May 7
Palisades / Alpine Meadows = July 4
Mammoth = "AT LEAST July"

It's usually possible to hike off Mt. Rose Highway in August and get some turns in on a decent snow year. Unless an insane heat wave hits the west coast, it seems like more than just some turns will be possible for a while.

A few years ago, while hiking the Mt. Rose trailhead in the middle of July, I ran into a crew of older skiers who had been skiing for nearly 200 consecutive months. Looks like they are still going: https://patchskiing.net/

I ended up documenting a bit of the environment / scenery on my last trip and put together a long form style video. It's slow paced and boring, but there's a skate clip here and there. It will be interesting to compare next year's conditions to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XSkozXgTNc
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 08:25:14 PM by tkp »

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #775 on: March 26, 2023, 08:56:31 AM »
At copper today. Got a decent top speed run in (52 mph) while there was still some corduroy on rosis run but there were already enough people where I had to slow down for them.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

• Rep: -173
« Reply #776 on: March 26, 2023, 04:18:37 PM »
Vermont heads or those that are familiar-- how late in the spring is snowboarding possible near Woodstock VT? I am likely going there for work and trying to figure out how late is possible.  I've never been that far up (went to Bromley in VT earlier the season and stayed in manchester-- that was my first time to Vermont though so curious how long the season goes (even for crappy ice/snow).

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #777 on: March 27, 2023, 12:04:44 PM »
Vermont heads or those that are familiar-- how late in the spring is snowboarding possible near Woodstock VT? I am likely going there for work and trying to figure out how late is possible.  I've never been that far up (went to Bromley in VT earlier the season and stayed in manchester-- that was my first time to Vermont though so curious how long the season goes (even for crappy ice/snow).

i can't say for sure but onthesnow.com tracks historical open/close dates and usually has projected closing dates as well. southern VT seasons might not go that much longer but if you're willing to drive up north to killington or jay peak i think they will be able to go into mid may or so. anyone who actually lives up there can tell me i'm wrong

baegis

• Rep: 26
« Reply #778 on: March 29, 2023, 11:32:32 AM »
Slushy day at the local hill. This board is fuun

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #779 on: March 30, 2023, 05:13:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i can't say for sure but onthesnow.com tracks historical open/close dates and usually has projected closing dates as well. southern VT seasons might not go that much longer but if you're willing to drive up north to killington or jay peak i think they will be able to go into mid may or so. anyone who actually lives up there can tell me i'm wrong

It all depends on what the weather is doing and if you're trying to skin or ride lifts. 

Woodstock isn't too far from Killington, and right now, they're blasting snow on the Superstar trail.  Last year their closing day was June 2. It's just one run serviced by a quad.  I don't think they groom it when it really starts to warm up/turn to spring.  So the later it gets into the year, it's just an enormous mogul field from top to bottom.  Google 'Killington Superstar Glacier' and see what's up.  Killington is the last to close in the northeast with lift service, I think.

I live in the Burlington area, and I know lots of people who skin Stowe, Smuggs, Sugarbush, Bolton, and Jay when the lifts close, which is usually in late April-early May.