Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 53485 times)

finecojeffe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #780 on: March 30, 2023, 06:25:07 AM »
Went snowboarding last week for the first time since 2018. Took my family to Gore Mountain in the Adirondacks. Got my kids to ride as well. My youngest just goes straight, hands in pockets like a fool. Fortunately for him only bunny slopes. Middle kid got himself down some intermediate trails. I was riding my old Salomon that I got in 1997-1998. We planned to snowboard every year, but I can't remember why we didn't in 2019, but the other years are a result of the pandemic. I decided to pick up a new board since the old board was feeling like I could snap it, so I found a Nitro Dropout 156 on sale and ordered that. Hopefully we can keep getting a week a year in moving forward.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #781 on: March 30, 2023, 07:52:12 AM »
I just got a few days in at Mt Sunapee in New Hampshire. Sleepy midweek slush sessions, definitely a cool local vibe, and finally *just barely* got my money’s worth out of this year’s Epic pass.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #782 on: March 30, 2023, 08:39:59 AM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5NjitjW9hH42zoHN6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KsT4xRucs5SRUzGf8

Left the wife and kid behind and went on a little road trip, and stayed with an old friend in a different city back in early March. Hit the weather system perfectly, thigh deep pow for two days. Haven't ridden anything that deep in a long time, and with my old riding buddy, haven't ridden that hard in a long while either.
He has one of those plug and play hot tubs, so that helped with the after riding sores.

Yyyeeewww!!!

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 42
« Reply #783 on: April 02, 2023, 11:03:35 AM »
New deck

$260 + free shipping from Pure boardshop

Got the stomp pads from ebay

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqiwfXkp6Bw/?igshid=OGRjNzg3M2Y=

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #784 on: April 08, 2023, 12:45:00 PM »
New deck

Been eyeing a public board for a while. Where are these pressed/country of origin? Notice they only have a 1 year warranty. Great deal though!
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #785 on: April 09, 2023, 04:17:37 PM »
New deck

sick setup
(Cool Trick GIF)

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #786 on: April 11, 2023, 12:30:41 AM »
It’s been a brutal spring here on the main island of Japan. Pretty much zero snow since Mid-February, its the polar opposite of what’s been happening in California. It’s mostly been rain and unusually high temps, so if its snowing where you are, remember that it probably isn’t somewhere else.

Anyways making the most of a super-long spring, been snowskating a bit, and that has rekindled some of the stoke. Met up with a friend yesterday and he was kind enough to take some video of me eating shit. Enjoy!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cq4wsukOFwY/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 42
« Reply #787 on: April 16, 2023, 05:56:15 PM »

Been eyeing a public board for a while. Where are these pressed/country of origin? Notice they only have a 1 year warranty. Great deal though!

China

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #788 on: April 21, 2023, 07:14:01 PM »
Well the season is officially over. Last weekend was the last weekend. I ended up going up Saturday and Sunday to the hill. Saturday with my wife and daughter, we only did three runs then got lunch, since she's five. Still fun, and we have to make it fun so she doesn't flip the fuck out everytime she falls.
Sunday I went up solo and ripped. It was nice and warm, and I just did park laps with music on.
 I ended up bailing incredibly hard on a front board, and tweaked my wrist, bashed my head, and bit my tongue and lip from falling backwards off the rail and slamming. It was awesome, until that point.

The little scanner thingy the lifties use says I got up there 28 times. Not bad for a full time working dad guy.

One day I'll win the lottery, and just do endless winters and ride the rest of my life all day, everyday.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #789 on: April 28, 2023, 12:47:34 PM »

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #790 on: October 16, 2023, 09:25:40 PM »
was thinking about trying it for the first time ever this winter.

any tips on how to go at it? i've been sking for like 26 winters. skating for maybe 17 years.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #791 on: October 17, 2023, 12:08:11 AM »
You could be a rare example of someone I’d say ‘try it with a friend that can ride’ instead of ‘take a lesson’.

If you could get a cheap lesson with an instructor just one-on-one, do that.

But if you take a group lesson, you’d probably be learning way faster than everyone else, and it would hold you back.

So I recommend going with a friend with enough compassion to do little things like show you how to get off a lift before you actually get on, how tight the boots should be, and how to use your edges before throwing you down a regular run.

But go for it, I am an ex-skier myself

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Dojsha Abuser

« Reply #792 on: October 18, 2023, 06:15:33 AM »
aight.
so 1 or 2 times a little slalom and then go for the backlip and big air. got it.

but forreal, thans for your input.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #793 on: October 18, 2023, 08:00:47 AM »
I’ve been instructing for a bit over 20 seasons.
Lesson’s totally help you skip the painful parts of learning by yourself, or from a well-meaning friend who takes you to the wrong run.

But if you have the balance and know what riding on snow is like, a group lesson with a bunch of newbies won’t help much.

Ideally, find an instructor, and pay them in beer to take you out for a morning.

Dojsha Abuser

« Reply #794 on: October 18, 2023, 01:27:17 PM »
I’ve been instructing for a bit over 20 seasons.
Lesson’s totally help you skip the painful parts of learning by yourself, or from a well-meaning friend who takes you to the wrong run.

But if you have the balance and know what riding on snow is like, a group lesson with a bunch of newbies won’t help much.

Ideally, find an instructor, and pay them in beer to take you out for a morning.

appreciate it g.

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #795 on: October 22, 2023, 06:23:39 PM »
Just had my last weekend of the season down here in NZ. Been a real good year in the North Island with plenty of midweek days and no one around. Here’s hoping they can sort their shit out and open again next season

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #796 on: October 23, 2023, 10:15:56 AM »
Just had my last weekend of the season down here in NZ. Been a real good year in the North Island with plenty of midweek days and no one around. Here’s hoping they can sort their shit out and open again next season

Fuck I miss NZ.  I lived in Wanaka the winter of 2007.  Lots of snowboarding fueled by Tim Tams and Jimmy's Pies.  You ride Whakapapa or Turoa? 

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #797 on: October 23, 2023, 08:05:35 PM »
We got a bit of snow on the North Alps here in  Japan. I’m getting a bit excited.

Japan is usually great for finding used gear, and I’ve been doing that for years, both boards and clothing, but i want a new jacket and I can’t find anything I like.

Most of the the new styles are kinda lame, I don’t want to get stuck with a washed out pastel jacket for 5+ seasons. Or an anorak with a huge fucking logo on it.

The least offensive I can find is a black Burton gore-Tex anorak , but everything is getting pricy. Plus, black is kind boring.

Is there anyone who makes a nice, classic, slightly loose 2-color anorak with a decent color way and no fucking huge logos?

I might have to look at the ski companies. 

Dad_Brains

« Reply #798 on: October 24, 2023, 12:43:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck I miss NZ.  I lived in Wanaka the winter of 2007.  Lots of snowboarding fueled by Tim Tams and Jimmy's Pies.  You ride Whakapapa or Turoa?

I got a place in ohakune so mostly Turoa. However I have been taking the kids around to whakapapa as they’re off the learners slopes so the next level chair is way batter over there. Far west has been open there so that’s been going off!

Dad_Brains

« Reply #799 on: October 24, 2023, 12:52:40 AM »
We got a bit of snow on the North Alps here in  Japan. I’m getting a bit excited.

Japan is usually great for finding used gear, and I’ve been doing that for years, both boards and clothing, but i want a new jacket and I can’t find anything I like.

Most of the the new styles are kinda lame, I don’t want to get stuck with a washed out pastel jacket for 5+ seasons. Or an anorak with a huge fucking logo on it.

The least offensive I can find is a black Burton gore-Tex anorak , but everything is getting pricy. Plus, black is kind boring.

Is there anyone who makes a nice, classic, slightly loose 2-color anorak with a decent color way and no fucking huge logos?

Yeah there’s been a few companies doing anoraks this season.

https://www.horsefeathers.eu/mens/snowwear/

Might be a bit pricey being euro, but you know it’s gonna be good.

https://www.dcshoes-newzealand.co.nz/echelon-45k-technical-anorak-snow-jacket-3613378832653.html

This dc one is pretty damn tech and a mellow colour/logo scheme.

https://www.boardertown.co.nz/volcom-brighton-pullover-volcom-g0652315-sky

Nice lookin volcom one also

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #800 on: October 24, 2023, 08:06:52 AM »
Anoraks are decent but ive always prefered full zips so i dont have to completely pull them off when i walk inside. That said, i have a krooked one and get frequent compliments when im in the terrain park with it.

I got a palace goretex jacket on depop for a good price.

Dopethrone

• Rep: -20
« Reply #801 on: October 24, 2023, 12:00:17 PM »

I just discovered this brand
https://beringia.co.nz/

Look like good technical outwear

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #802 on: October 24, 2023, 11:32:07 PM »
Just went to the Seattle premiere of the new ride snowboards video. Wow, that shit was wild. The scale of these street spots is so crazy. I can’t appreciate it like I do skateboarding but it’s still so impressive. Jacob Krugmire is fucked up good. Also, savannah shinske is so fucking dope. S/o ride for providing free beer all night

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #803 on: October 25, 2023, 01:23:40 AM »

Beyond Medals maybe?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #804 on: October 25, 2023, 02:34:49 AM »
Thank all of you for the anorak replies.

The horse feathers was close, but no colors I’m into. The NZ brand initially looked good, but it’s a crazy minimalist shell, no powderskirt or anything.

I guess I’m just using my instructor discount and getting Burton this year.

bartlaser

« Reply #805 on: October 25, 2023, 05:03:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I got a place in ohakune so mostly Turoa. However I have been taking the kids around to whakapapa as they’re off the learners slopes so the next level chair is way batter over there. Far west has been open there so that’s been going off!

Hell yeah.  I was only around that area in the summer.  I was tripping when I found out there are volcano evacuation routes at those resorts in case of an eruption.  I rode at Snow Park and Cardrona.  Ohau a couple of times. 

Awesome place, people, and amazing meat pies.

Dad_Brains

« Reply #806 on: October 26, 2023, 10:25:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Hell yeah.  I was only around that area in the summer.  I was tripping when I found out there are volcano evacuation routes at those resorts in case of an eruption.  I rode at Snow Park and Cardrona.  Ohau a couple of times. 

Ha, yeah it hasn’t erupted in a while but you never know when it will…

Scored a few days at cardies earlier this season. So much bigger now with a new lift over the backside. Rode at snow park back in the day also. Rode the lift with Shaun white when he was filming the white album and was there when the dc team were there doing the rally car over the jumps. Such a shame that place closed but I suspect Sam made big money on the sale as it’s now used for expensive snow car testing

bartlaser

« Reply #807 on: October 28, 2023, 02:24:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ha, yeah it hasn’t erupted in a while but you never know when it will…

Scored a few days at cardies earlier this season. So much bigger now with a new lift over the backside. Rode at snow park back in the day also. Rode the lift with Shaun white when he was filming the white album and was there when the dc team were there doing the rally car over the jumps. Such a shame that place closed but I suspect Sam made big money on the sale as it’s now used for expensive snow car testing

Oh shit I was there the same season.  Saw Ken Block launching that rally car too.  The 1/4 pipe they had at the end of the halfpipe was so fun.

I bartended at &Bar in Wanaka.  I met a driver testing for Ford one night who kept getting shots of 151. Told me a story about picking up some snowboarders at the bottom of the Snow Park access road and giving them the ride of their life up to the base in some crazy supped-up Mustang.

Dojsha Abuser

« Reply #808 on: November 05, 2023, 09:23:36 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjuGLgo4f8Q

what the fuck is going on. god damn.

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #809 on: November 07, 2023, 04:47:56 AM »
Melter 3 is definitely the best thing to come out so far this season.
No B-roll, no filler, just great tricks at wild spots. Last two melter movies were great too but this one's my favourite.Those Finish dudes are the best.