Author Topic: Custom builds and mods  (Read 4027 times)

feedmeseymour

Custom builds and mods
« on: March 19, 2019, 09:15:23 PM »
I’ve seen a lot of cool custom built systems, and I’m sure you guys have too. I saw this on Instagram tonight. this dude does some sweet work, I’m pretty tempted to get one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BudSjscg8Ad/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1rc5qakqt962l

Anyone ever buy, build, or look at some other custom stuff?

potpie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
Re: Custom builds and mods
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 08:38:10 AM »
I've been thinking about getting a custom GBA done by https://www.instagram.com/gameboykingdom. Really wanted a Ghost in the Shell one made up or maybe something with a Miyazaki movie.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 09:09:19 AM »
I've been thinking about getting a custom GBA done by https://www.instagram.com/gameboykingdom. Really wanted a Ghost in the Shell one made up or maybe something with a Miyazaki movie.

woah that is sick, i want the akira one haha..

i saw this on instagram a few weeks ago, a bit much but its pretty well done

potpie

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 02:35:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not so bad since it's going to sit on a shelf anyway. Those GB's are really cool though, I emailed them and it'd about 250 shipped to have a GBA retrofitted with backlit screen and all the other mods they throw on, and a custom design made and printed on. To me it's a pretty good deal, I figured they'd want at least 200 to come up with the design.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 05:30:47 AM »
^ i am really tempted to buy one, if i can make a custom graphic for him to put on the gameboy i would. ill probably hit him up this weekend even though i should be smarter with my money.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 05:32:52 AM »
a friend of mine made one of these this year, kinda easy if you order the kit, you just gotta load roms on the razzberry pie or whatever. pretty cool

feedmeseymour

Hmmmm Nice Bike

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 02:34:45 AM »
I follow that first guy too - love his 004 models with the GBA SP mashed onto the DMG shell.

I've built a few things and posted a backlit GBA of mine on an older thread. Will post some of those here eventually.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 12:17:05 AM »
Just ordered a raspberry pi yesterday. Not thinking of steampunking or putting it in a tin but aim to use it with a pvm monitor. Get another 8bitdo SF30 Pro controller at some point and I'm set.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 10:17:19 AM »
It would be rad to hook up a raspberry pi in s old snes so you could play it on a crtv with no lag

potpie

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 11:15:17 AM »
^ i am really tempted to buy one, if i can make a custom graphic for him to put on the gameboy i would. ill probably hit him up this weekend even though i should be smarter with my money.
just to clarify he makes the graphics. that's included in the price.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 12:09:51 AM »
It would be rad to hook up a raspberry pi in s old snes so you could play it on a crtv with no lag

There are a few reputable companies that make raspberry pi shells based on older gen consoles.

Pretty sure they're all over amazon. The Gensis ones look awesome too.

I love the idea of a pi and would love to make one but I probably never will. I hacked my ps3 to run retro arc and it serves all of my emulation needs.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 12:16:08 AM »
Also: not sure if anyone's interested but I thought I'd share this mini piece of info.

Picked up a GBC knockoff that has a backlight. If you want to install a backlight on a GBC it's a crazy expensive project (although BennVenn is currently working on a much cheaper alternative).

Picked it up for $45 CND ($35 US) off ebay. Works really well. I've had it for coming up on 2 years and even find myself using it more than my backlit GBA because I love the original GBC form factor.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/GB-Boy-Classic-Color-Colour-Handheld-Game-Console-built-Games-Player-Kong-Feng/232888298269?var=532419377745&hash=item3639396b1d:g:WacAAOSwqH9bcrRW

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 01:00:43 AM »

Not exactly sure what you mean, but you can skip the snes in between and stick the raspberry directly to a scart/bnc capable PVM or CRT monitor.

http://www.rgb-pi.com/

No input lag, though the cabling leaves less options for a case unless you want to do something like this:
https://youtu.be/FxEJDteEV2o

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 08:57:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Not so bad since it's going to sit on a shelf anyway. Those GB's are really cool though, I emailed them and it'd about 250 shipped to have a GBA retrofitted with backlit screen and all the other mods they throw on, and a custom design made and printed on. To me it's a pretty good deal, I figured they'd want at least 200 to come up with the design.

Hey Potpie: Who is that skating in your sig?

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 03:13:57 AM »

Robbie Holmes?

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 09:39:40 PM »
I did the gba backlit mod, it was fun and fairly easy for a first timer.  They make 30-1 carts with all the classic games as well which is what’s in mine most of the time.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 07:07:10 AM »
Not a mod (but this guys page is cool, a lot of custom artwork)

I remember having this as a kid and thinking it was the best

https://www.instagram.com/p/BulnCZllfiG/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7ksyoczjna4h

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 12:24:38 PM »

I want this so bad

potpie

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 10:25:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Garth got it, Robbie Holmes. It’s from FTC A Fine Line Between Love and Haight

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 12:14:50 AM »
Getting Amiga games to work without the disk changing routine is tasking. Then again the last time I had a raspberry I can't remember getting turbografx cd or most of the arcade titles to work whatsoever. So there's hope?

The image through rgb-pi on a pvm is stunning. Vibrant colours, oh my.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 09:09:15 PM »
I’ve got my Everdrive-64 coming in on Saturday so im formatting a SD-Card tonight to run it. I’m gunna get a retro pi next or maybe even build my own if i’m feeling up to it. Definitely interested in picking up a back lit gameboy with a modified cartridge as well. Should I get a GBA to get the most bang for my buck?

Edit/Update:
Got the Everdrive-64 running today. I still have some tweaking to do. Pokemon Stadium has a corrupted file so I need a new ROM for it, Super Smash Bros had some lag while running 4 player (atleast on the Starfox lvl all the others ran fine), Next up is finding/fixing all the corrupted files and adding some NES/Homebrew games on. Gotta squirrel some cash away for two more controllers and some controller extensions. RetroPi will be the next project followed by a GBA w/ Everdrive cartridge so I can check all the retro gaming off my list.

Im sure most work fine but I ended up going with an Adata 32gb microSD with SD adapter for my card. Only 6$ from Fry’s and verified to work off of the Everdrive forum.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:03:24 AM by CrumblingInfrastructure »

Octobre Rouge.

• Rep: -2
  • Black metal and ledge skating
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 11:54:49 AM »
I recently did the backilight GBA mod, it's pretty easy. I also removed the region-lock of my NES.

I'm thinking about modding my SNES with a 50/60HZ switch, in order to play NTSC games. Sadly, the plastic is nice and shiny, I don't want to drill holes in this beauty.

Even if those custom consoles are gorgeous, i'd rather stick with the OG version.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 9
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2019, 11:58:04 AM »
I soft-modded my wii u (brain age -> haxchi). Nintendont for GC games and WiiVC injector for wii games plus retroarch and Wii64. You can turn it into a nintendos greatest hits machine that runs most stuff native or pretty well.

Audrey II

• Rep: 14176
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 07:00:15 AM »
the guys in the slap discord already know, but i wanted to show off my new project. i got an arcade1up cabinet and went ahead and threw in a raspberry pi running retropie so now i have pretty much anything and everything (except light gun games... maybe one day)

i had to also swap out the buttons and joystick so they could run to a USB and communicate with the raspberrypi, plus drilled holes and added 2 buttons for the coin/select feature.

bought an amp, hooked it up to the stock speakers.. only thing left is to get a power source to light up the marquee and mess with a few settings concerning aspect ratio/screen size and im done. it was my first time messing with a raspberry pi but it wasnt too bad, some weird hiccups along the way but i found discord servers to find help from other modders.

heres the underside of the control board.

ghetto rigged the hdmi converter to cardboard attached to the metal backing of the monitor cause the cords werent long enough

end screen for super ghouls n ghost on snes. first time playing through not using a controller, it was actually pretty sweet. anyways, if youre tempted to get one of these, i reccomend doing the mod.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:06:48 AM by Audrey II »
You got questions? Ask me like a fucking man. You know my Insta.

Audrey II

• Rep: 14176
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 10:01:14 AM »
felt like sharing incase any pals might wanna try this, i can point ya in the right direction.

got a cheapish arcade fight stick that works with any console/pc, took some akira fan art and altered it a bit, added a shalom, and swapped out the joystick and buttons for sanwa parts. it was easier than i expected, gonna build 2 more for a friend and my brother soon. heres the before and after

You got questions? Ask me like a fucking man. You know my Insta.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2020, 09:01:46 AM »

Those are fucking cool. A ghost in the shell one would be so badass. Good taste in movies.