Author Topic: Nine Club experience says Slap is worst thing in skateboarding  (Read 41900 times)

able

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Nine Club experience says Slap is worst thing in skateboarding
« Reply #330 on: May 30, 2019, 06:07:43 PM »
What the fuck is "SLAP?"
ableSkateMag.com

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #331 on: May 30, 2019, 06:12:09 PM »
Expand Quote

So far, you've failed to live up to your username. Maybe you're not as edgy and against the grain as you think. Time to step up your game, poser.
[close]
Back today from a 3 day ban.

Expand Quote

Why couldn't you have been part of that 90% of skaters who are unaware of SLAP?
[close]
You can thank Crob and Rog for that.

You joined this forum to talk about how much it sucks, but you and posters like you are the reason it does suck.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #332 on: May 30, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »
soon banned and dan the douche may be an ex of mine who despises the fact she can not stay on a moving board and is having a full scale meltdown

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #333 on: May 30, 2019, 08:22:11 PM »
soon banned and dan the douche may be an ex of mine who despises the fact she can not stay on a moving board and is having a full scale meltdown
And I thought I had it bad. Everyone needs a safe place.

soonbanned

« Reply #334 on: May 31, 2019, 06:18:51 AM »

You've been skating since 1986 and never once heard of SLAP the mag and website? Or just of its online message board that is now its last wall standing? Not questioning your street cred on the fucking Internet, really just curious. In general I'm kind of into knowing which bits of the culture people either were or weren't exposed to and whatnot.
Lol. Why is that so hard to believe? You guys really think this place is special don't ya.

You know, there are skateboarders that don't subscribe to ANY of the bullshit you guys think is important. It's fucking wooden plank with trucks and wheels that's fun to ride on.

soonbanned

« Reply #335 on: May 31, 2019, 06:20:50 AM »
your 50 year old buddies who stopped skating in the 90’s don’t count
I skate with people that are all under 20 and not a single one knows or cares about slap.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #336 on: May 31, 2019, 06:26:43 AM »
I have a very clear memory from childhood of being in Nashville and seeing a woman who was at least 60 years old vomiting all over the sidewalk while wearing a t shirt that said "old enough to know better & too young to care"

sms_b

« Reply #337 on: May 31, 2019, 06:31:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I skate with people that are all under 20 and not a single one knows or cares about slap.

yet here you are.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #338 on: May 31, 2019, 06:39:03 AM »
How have you not heard about slap the magazine if you’ve been skating since 86?!

soonbanned

« Reply #339 on: May 31, 2019, 06:40:18 AM »
How have you not heard about slap the magazine if you’ve been skating since 86?!
BECAUSE IT'S NOT AS POPULAR AS YOU ALL THINK IT IS.

Did you fuckin hear it that time?

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #340 on: May 31, 2019, 06:46:44 AM »

Why am I involved in this? haha
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #341 on: May 31, 2019, 07:35:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I can’t hear your text on a message board Einstein.

I haven’t been skating since 86 but I remember slap being around before the internet. I would say slap was as popular when it was around as skateboarder magazine or one of the other smaller magazines. if you have not heard of the magazine when it was around. Thats fucking weird to be as old as you are and not have heard of the print publication. You sound like you’re a fucking kook. Or trying to imply you have more tooth in skateboarding than you do.  what 40+ year old fanboys on the 9 club hard enough they make an account to defend a show podcast that they have no involvement in. Shouldn’t you have more pressing issues to deal with at your age?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:39:39 AM by Murge »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
« Reply #342 on: May 31, 2019, 09:09:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ahh, so you're Neal Hendrix! Fuck of pedo

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #343 on: May 31, 2019, 09:37:10 AM »
Expand Quote

You've been skating since 1986 and never once heard of SLAP the mag and website? Or just of its online message board that is now its last wall standing? Not questioning your street cred on the fucking Internet, really just curious. In general I'm kind of into knowing which bits of the culture people either were or weren't exposed to and whatnot.
[close]
Lol. Why is that so hard to believe? You guys really think this place is special don't ya.

You know, there are skateboarders that don't subscribe to ANY of the bullshit you guys think is important. It's fucking wooden plank with trucks and wheels that's fun to ride on.
sounds like the ol' riding a skateboard vs. being a skater chasm.

Some people just like the feeling of riding a board and some love it to the point they want/need to become immersed in the culture. I think most here are the latter. This entire site is dedicated to skate culture and considering the print has been long gone, someone at High Speed thinks its good enough to keep renewing the hosting.

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #344 on: May 31, 2019, 10:57:01 AM »
When Steezus said that Sal Masakala(sp?) helped pave the way for guys like Gary Rogers and himself to do what they do, does he mean guys that barely skate who feel entitled to have their voice heard in the industry?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:09:26 AM by Luddite »

Glurmpz

« Reply #345 on: May 31, 2019, 10:57:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah, sounds like you're just one of those skaters who skates but didn't pay much attention to the whole industry/mags/videos. Slap Mag was very popular when it was in print - I know many people who held it as their favorite. It was the sister mag to Thrasher, not exactly some unknown independent zine.

As for the site - you may not like the vibe on here, but you're incredibly naive if you think most skaters don't know about the Slap message boards. When I started checking it out about a decade ago it was already pretty infamous, and at the time I didn't even pay attention to much internet skate stuff. At this point it's essentially a household name in skateboarding, like it or not.

Huf did a whole line as a Slap collab - think they'd do that for something that isn't popular? C'mon man, I know your name is soonbanned so you're TRYING to get a rise out of people, but you're really sounding clueless. If you're being sincere, then just accept that you were unaware of how well known Slap is and move on.

If you've been skating since 86' and never even heard of Slap until it was mentioned on The Nine Club, something is up. That's like saying you never heard of EMB.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:20:41 AM by Glurmpz »

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #346 on: May 31, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »
the reverse spelling, PALS

i literally have never put that together...
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #347 on: May 31, 2019, 11:29:58 AM »
I love when Steezus gets highfalutin about everything 9 Club's accomplished and what it's future holds. Dude was a literal seat filler, only appears on the spin-off of the real podcast, and seemingly does no behind the scenes work. :o

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »
When Steezus said that Sal Masakala(sp?) helped pave the way for guys like Gary Rogers and himself to do what they do, does he mean guys that barely skate who feel entitled to have their voice heard in the industry?
;D Steezus was way off-base with that theory. Rogers, though, has earned his spot. I may not agree with all of his opinions, but I back his right to say them while Thrasher serves me banners and prerolls for the privilege.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2019, 04:44:15 PM »
I have a very clear memory from childhood of being in Nashville and seeing a woman who was at least 60 years old vomiting all over the sidewalk while wearing a t shirt that said "old enough to know better & too young to care"

hahaha I couldn't let this go unnoticed, this was great and I'm not even sure why

Anyway curious to see the ramblings that have come from this weeks nine club with Ben Raemers and all, i'll be watching it after work

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #350 on: May 31, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »
I skated with Gary at the local a few months back and he definitely can hold his own...Sal looks like the cruiser type.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #351 on: May 31, 2019, 08:32:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I skated with Gary at the local a few months back and he definitely can hold his own...Sal looks like the cruiser type.

Sal looks like the idea Disney Channel has of a beach town skate shop owner

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2019, 04:30:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No, honestly it's not hard to believe because some skaters choose to remain more or less foreign to the industry and media, and since a lot of it is mystified marketing most should stop buying into upon entering their 20's I can grasp why. Plus a lot of what one is culturally exposed to has a lot to do with their geographical location growing up. That's why I was specifying that my question was genuine and not loaded, again I like hearing about people's individual backgrounds and how they got to experience skateboarding, which clues they had about it growing up, etc.

Personally nowadays I'm not surprised when people don't know about SLAP at all, especially now that the mag is long gone and the web rules everything; but I do go by the logic that to this day, one who loves skateboarding not just as an activity but also as a social practice will spontaneously try to learn more about its history and culture, not necessarily falling into skate nerd category but at least expanding their horizons and see what others have been, or are currently doing. Skateboarding can be that weekly thing you do at the park on Sundays or it can be something you totally project over and let influence your interests and direction in life. If one is remotely curious about it the point where they've done some basic research about its history then in this case yes, I'd be surprised if they never ran into at least one SLAP mention somewhere though. The mag and its legacy, not the message boards.

I mean, SLAP was never even distributed in my country and still I knew about it. For a while (I'd say late 90's to mid 00's), internationally, the three most famous big mags in U.S. skating were Transworld, Thrasher and SLAP and I feel like most skaters would have told you that at the time if asked. Out of all three (with the exception of some great Transworld phases), SLAP had the most inspired writers and photographers of their time as contributors and - at least here - always notoriously carried the reputation of being what I could only describe as being the most poetic skate mag (fuck how corny that sounds).

So yeah, if you've been around since 1986 with no pause, really lived this shit and cared about the culture one bit whilst doing so (which I'm not questioning), depending on where you grew up and how much of a shit you gave, you may or may not be some kind of odd man out if you really never heard about the mag. The message boards are an entirely different matter, but SLAP the mag might have been more important than you think and you may have been insulated from its impact somehow. Which isn't of any importance whatsoever, but may be a funny anecdote.

Also from my experience, regarding the popularity of the message boards - it seems to be quite popular in English speaking countries even if most people won't admit knowing about the place, honestly, maybe besides a handful of exceptions who are more of the skate-in-circles-around-the-local-park type I don't think I've ever heard one U.S. skater never bring up the SLAP boards ever at any point. In most non-English speaking countries though, the average skater has never heard about it because they're too busy with Instagram and maybe their weekly check of one website in their language if they're bored. The nerdiest of the crop (small number) do seem to know and a lot of them occasionally come on here, though.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 04:43:18 AM by silhouette »

soonbanned

« Reply #353 on: June 01, 2019, 06:42:10 AM »

Ahh, so you're Neal Hendrix! Fuck of pedo
You should know better than to insinuate things like this. I can find out who you are.

No, honestly it's not hard to believe because some skaters choose to remain more or less foreign to the industry and media, and since a lot of it is mystified marketing most should stop buying into upon entering their 20's I can grasp why. Plus a lot of what one is culturally exposed to has a lot to do with their geographical location growing up.

All of this is applicable. Thank you for not being a moron.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #354 on: June 01, 2019, 06:46:07 AM »
Slap is just as much a part of skateboarding as every skate crew of friends out there is.
We love skateboarding and talking shit.
That’s part of the human condition.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

soonbanned

« Reply #355 on: June 01, 2019, 06:51:42 AM »
Slap is just as much a part of skateboarding as every skate crew of friends out there is.

This is where we very strongly disagree. Skateboarding doesn't continue without crews of skate friends. It does continue without slap.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #356 on: June 01, 2019, 07:40:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This is where we very strongly disagree. Skateboarding doesn't continue without crews of skate friends. It does continue without slap.
I can agree in the sense that this message board is not a hugely important part of skateboarding but the influence is undeniable once you know the facts.
Here some examples

Remember when DC was mikey taylor, Chris Cole, Steve Berra- slap always complained about those guys and the image of DC during that period.
A few years ago they changed management and the new person got rid of all those pretty/preppy kind of guys and ran hard with keeping core/skate rat type dudes.
Wes, Evan, tiago, t funk, Shannahan amount others and they started doing reissues and making models that people wanted again.
That was directly influenced by the presence of slap.

Slap always complained about crail wood, crail recently announced, hey look, we have answered your prayers and got new wood.

DlX has employees who pay attention for defective product posts and sometimes someone will personally message you for a replacement or ask how they can make the situation right for you.
Every major brand has someone lurking slap if not actually having an account.
They come here to find product testers and pay for ad space because they know the reach that slap has.
Huf did a slap collab.
There are major pros who lurk here and occasionally post.

I would think that more than 75% of the skateboarding population is unaware of This forums existence and that’s fine with me.

Skateboarding fully can exist without slap but you’re right that it can’t exist without the crew of friends who are the ones out there buying product and sharing the stoke/love of it.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

soonbanned

« Reply #357 on: June 01, 2019, 07:52:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
I can agree in the sense that this message board is not a hugely important part of skateboarding but the influence is undeniable once you know the facts.
Here some examples

Remember when DC was mikey taylor, Chris Cole, Steve Berra- slap always complained about those guys and the image of DC during that period.
A few years ago they changed management and the new person got rid of all those pretty/preppy kind of guys and ran hard with keeping core/skate rat type dudes.
Wes, Evan, tiago, t funk, Shannahan amount others and they started doing reissues and making models that people wanted again.
That was directly influenced by the presence of slap.

Slap always complained about crail wood, crail recently announced, hey look, we have answered your prayers and got new wood.

DlX has employees who pay attention for defective product posts and sometimes someone will personally message you for a replacement or ask how they can make the situation right for you.
Every major brand has someone lurking slap if not actually having an account.
They come here to find product testers and pay for ad space because they know the reach that slap has.
Huf did a slap collab.
There are major pros who lurk here and occasionally post.

I would think that more than 75% of the skateboarding population is unaware of This forums existence and that’s fine with me.

Skateboarding fully can exist without slap but you’re right that it can’t exist without the crew of friends who are the ones out there buying product and sharing the stoke/love of it.
I won't disagree that slap does have some influence. But remember that the market gets feedback from a lot of places. If the majority of a skateboarding related online community has an opinion on something particular in the industry then there's a good chance that a majority of those outside that community hold the same opinion. It's tantamount to someone looking at the sky and determining that its going to rain, then when it does they go around telling everyone it rained because they said it would.

conqueso

« Reply #358 on: June 01, 2019, 07:59:39 AM »
someone do the lords work and ban this guy

soonbanned

« Reply #359 on: June 01, 2019, 08:15:35 AM »
someone do the lords work and ban this guy
What? Are you really too dense to see that there's an actual conversation going on here? Look at the thread title man. You want everyone to come in here and stroke each other all day or do you maybe wanna see the opinion of a person that doesn't have a dildo with shalom written on it stuck in his throat? You cannot see the forest from the trees bud.

Personally, I couldn't care less who skates for who. Sponsorship is great for the hard working skaters but it just makes no difference to me. I'm gonna like who I like, skate the boards I skate, and it doesn't matter whether or not those two coincide. Yes by the 90s Muska Circa and Shorty's then later Think but as silhouette says, once in my 20s, what do I care. I just want a board that feels good.

Is a person less of a skater because they don't care who's sponsored by who? Don't care about marketing or politics in skateboarding? Idk, I skate a lot. Not very well but a lot. The people I generally skate with are my nephew and his buddies. I will have to digress a tad because i did kinda steer him in the direction of being a Vincent Alvarez fan, because they have very similar styles, even look a bit alike and I thought he might want to study a skater that was here before instagram. 

My mind is changed. Slap is not the worst thing in skateboarding. But some of the people here are representative of the worst things in skateboarding.