Author Topic: Axle height of all the different Thunder trucks?  (Read 12396 times)

corto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Axle height of all the different Thunder trucks?
« on: March 21, 2019, 02:39:52 PM »
As far as I understand Thunder trucks currently has the following models 
[edit: added the heights for different widths, based on what has been discussed in this topic and what I've found online]

145   147   148   149
Team editions                     51     52    53,5 mm
Lights                       50      50     51    51 mm
Team hollows            50      51     52    53,5 mm
Hollow lights             50      50     51    51 mm
Titanium lights          50      50     51    51 mm

This topic is for discussing the height of Thunder's different trucks.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:04:58 AM by corto »

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
Re: Axle height of all the different Thunder trucks?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 05:44:14 PM »
Every truck with "Team" in the name have thicker cast baseplates, that makes them 1mm higher.

149 and 148 with cast baseplates are somewhere around 53mm high, models with forged baseplate are 1mm lower so around 52mm high.

Can't remember the height of 147's, but they are definitely 1 or 2mm lower than 149's.

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »
EDIT: here's tactics chart, but I dont know if its correct considering the height on the 148 and the 151 are the same when ive been told otherwise.

sorry I've never understood embedding photos

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:33:55 PM by Chanel West Coast »

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:06:05 PM »
Id have personally emailed thunder for the specs of the 148 and 149, for cast baseplates they both have a truck height of 52mm while forged would be 51mm i think its the same for 151 but im pretty sure 147 has always been lower even with the cast baseplates

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 10:21:38 PM »
Here is what I posted in the "trucks setup" thread some months ago:

We already discussed that in another thread, but take care about Tactics measurements, I have noticed strange things concerning Thunder trucks.
For example the Team Hollows, they say that the 148 are 51mm high, but mine have the axis aligned with the Hollow Lights 151, which are 52.3 mm.
Also they say that the Team Hollow 151 are 337.4g, which is lighter than the 149 at 338.9g. This is very surprising, how a larger truck can be lighter ?

If Tactics say that they are accurate, my guess is that Thunder are releasing new products and there is a mashup between new and old?

In addition to my last sentence, some weeks ago I have noticed on Tactics that they are now selling the Hollow Lights II and Titanium Lights 3 ... I suppose that the geometry has changed between version 1, 2 and 3... Thank you for all the confusion.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
Thanks a lot for these. I was blissfully ignorant that the height goes up with the width.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 05:04:19 PM »
Would it change anything critical about how the truck functions if they brought the baseplate out a little more?  Someone on here said they were supposed to be doing this at some point.

I’m no truck manufacturing expert, but it seems like a pretty easy fix.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 05:08:33 PM »

Expand Quote
We already discussed that in another thread, but take care about Tactics measurements, I have noticed strange things concerning Thunder trucks.
For example the Team Hollows, they say that the 148 are 51mm high, but mine have the axis aligned with the Hollow Lights 151, which are 52.3 mm.
Also they say that the Team Hollow 151 are 337.4g, which is lighter than the 149 at 338.9g. This is very surprising, how a larger truck can be lighter ?

If Tactics say that they are accurate, my guess is that Thunder are releasing new products and there is a mashup between new and old?
[close]

In addition to my last sentence, some weeks ago I have noticed on Tactics that they are now selling the Hollow Lights II and Titanium Lights 3 ... I suppose that the geometry has changed between version 1, 2 and 3... Thank you for all the confusion.
It's just updated prints/logos and bushings.

Old hollow lights

New lights

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 07:55:32 PM »
Would it change anything critical about how the truck functions if they brought the baseplate out a little more?  Someone on here said they were supposed to be doing this at some point.

pretty sure it is where it is because of how the axle sits over the baseplate, if that makes sense.  ventures and indys are more inward so the wheelbase is a little smaller, but thunders are pretty straight up.

Regaurdless wouldnt hurt to just add more metal to make it hit the ledge instead of just wheels sliding.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 09:04:35 PM »
The hi's tend to be higher than the lo's.....

There's a whole f'n truck thread....

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 09:18:36 PM »
Regaurdless wouldnt hurt to just add more metal to make it hit the ledge instead of just wheels sliding.

That’s what I mean.  Just slap another half inch on there and it’s good to go.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 09:52:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s what I mean.  Just slap another half inch on there and it’s good to go.

In a game of millimeters I don't think it's that easy. I can imagine this would change the whole feel of nose and tail slides, especially getting into them. You would then (like other trucks) have the possibility of landing with the baseplate ridge on the ledge and still rubbing your wheels.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 01:54:12 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Old hollow lights

New lights

I wonder if the bushings are better?

Cause I have the orange ones from my team 148 and I love them, broke in so fast

I have those light blue ones on some 145 but haven’t really taken them on the streets yet

Are the light blues a newer improved formula?
yes

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 01:58:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

pretty sure it is where it is because of how the axle sits over the baseplate, if that makes sense.  ventures and indys are more inward so the wheelbase is a little smaller, but thunders are pretty straight up.

Ventures extend the wheelbase farther than any other truck, by a pretty good amount. Shortest to longest, Ace>Indy>Thunder>Venture. The axle position on Thunders isn't the cause of the hangups on nose/tailslides but the super short baseplate. Throw on a set of Ventures and you'll see the baseplate hangs over the upsweep of the nose/tail because of how far back the axle is set.... like it literally blocks you from getting at the mounting holes with a standard skate tool.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 03:15:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Old hollow lights

New lights

[close]

I wonder if the bushings are better?

Cause I have the orange ones from my team 148 and I love them, broke in so fast

I have those light blue ones on some 145 but haven’t really taken them on the streets yet

Are the light blues a newer improved formula?
I havn't tried them, but lights always had great bushings, they're not the same as the blue the standard 145 low always had.

dizzy

• Rep: -9
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
Does anyone know what the specs on Thunder Hardies are?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2194
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 02:13:13 AM »
Does anyone know what the specs on Thunder Hardies are?

Please proceed directly back to THIS thread for a complete/thorough discussion on the topic. ;)

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108931.0

Welcome, by the way.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 02:20:36 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 02:57:56 AM »
titanium baseplates
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2022, 08:56:47 AM »
Does anyone know the height for the Thunder Hi's?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2022, 09:18:53 AM »

Their height is Hi but kinda Lo ya know

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2022, 09:22:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Trueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2022, 09:41:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Trueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Not but are you for real? The answer is multiple times in this thread and on the thunder website

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2022, 02:53:59 PM »
The hi's tend to be higher than the lo's.....

There's a whole f'n truck thread....
\
really i had no idea
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2022, 07:15:26 PM »

When it comes to specs and heights, the standard / normal / hi are the same truck and there is no "Low option" any more.

Smaller width normal trucks are lower at 51mm, based on the hanger height (baseplate stays the same throughout all of the trucks).

Most common normal sizes 148 to 151 are 52mm that being the most common hanger height now.

Wider 161 are 53mm with a taller hanger than all the others.

Anything with a forged baseplate is 1mm lower than those measurements, the hangers all still being the same.

https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 07:22:23 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2022, 05:52:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When it comes to specs and heights, the standard / normal / hi are the same truck and there is no "Low option" any more.

Smaller width normal trucks are lower at 51mm, based on the hanger height (baseplate stays the same throughout all of the trucks).

Most common normal sizes 148 to 151 are 52mm that being the most common hanger height now.

Anything with a forged baseplate is 1mm lower than those measurements, the hangers all still being the same.

if you click truck styles on their page the numbers are totally different for height

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2022, 06:23:48 AM »
148-151 team - 52mm
148-151 forged - 51mm
161 team - 53mm
161 forged - 52mm

I don't remember how high 147 teams are but forged would just be 1mm lower. Case closed.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2022, 06:29:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

if you click truck styles on their page the numbers are totally different for height

It has been said before, don't look at the truck styles as it is confusing and they have incorrect info.

Confusing because all those figures are based on the 147 which are lower.

Incorrect because of something else I can't remember right now.

I did go through it before when looking at all that info again and thought "What a mess" but when you understand the context of it all, it makes sense though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.